trimin

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I remember being totally shocked by death animations in a game was playing X-Men: Ravages of Apocalypse and burning what looked like fellow X-Men to a charred skeletal crisp. It was horrifying seeing characters you saw in the cartoon and in comics reduced to this state. But it was also enthralling. I couldn't stop using the flamethrower and running up to enemies just to burn them. Games with good enemy death animations always add a lot to the action I feel. Gives it more weight. It can also be very disturbing see yourself playing around with gore system like the time I played Soldier of Fortune 2.

maxresdefault.jpg

The best ones though are still from the original Doom in my opinion. Just look at how crafted and detailed they are. It was so satisfying every time killing the cacodemon and seeing this:

tumblr_lp5vb9ZovI1qiov0ro1_400.gif

HUu03S3.gif

Also what type of enemy death animation is your favorite? (poll)

Hmm not sure how to make a poll so here are some options:
  • Freeze and shatter
  • Melt to a skeleton
  • Charred crisp
  • Turn into goo
  • Bloat up and blow up
  • Dematerialize
  • Electrocute
  • Split in half
  • Remove head/limbs

Last edited:

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
The ones that stood out to me when I played them was the first Turok, Killzone 2, Crusader: No Remorse and Crusader: No Regret.

I was thinking about mentioning Solder of Fortune 2, but I sort of think of the dismemberment in that game as separate from the actual death animations (which were pretty standard).

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall 1 and 2's executions both in and out of the mechs are pretty great.

qwyimiwepetvzt59smzz.gif

tenor.gif

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The Evil Within 1 and Resident Evil 4's head shots were awesome. Lots of gory details were lost in the sequels.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
God of War has some really satisfying (brutal) kill animations. Killzone 2/3 as well.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Not much of an animation but killing someone in Vandal Hearts is always satisfying. Also you don't get the same effect without the noise but still so good:

vandalhearts.gif

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first game that came to mind was The Order 1886. Blowing legs off, exploding them into thin air with a lightning gun, taking chunks of their torso off.

The-Order-1886-Story-Trailer-PS4_5.gif

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has some of the best death animations in the series, IMHO.

Shout-outs to For Honor's executions and Resident Evil 6 as well.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
I like that twirl the player does when headshotted in the original Halo.

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I like how in Shin Megami Tensei IV/Apocalypse, there's a different death animation for normal enemies depending on which spell or skill is used to kill them.