• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Never experienced this. Video games have nothing to do with whatever sad things have happened in my life. I've went threw a few breakups where we would play certain games all the time. DOA4 and Left for Dead 2 specifically. Still love those games and don't associate those girls and memories with the games. Hell I even had a few massive family break downs that have literally ended in blood when I was a child and I tuned it out while playing something like Super Mario World. Still enjoy Super Mario World. Probably should face those demons instead of letting them fester. They are just video games.

Feb 12, 2019
I have sort of an inverse problem to a lot of the stories listed here, where I enjoyed the 2014 Thief reboot at a pretty rough time in my life. My default take on it is that I sincerely think it's better than people gave it credit for, even if it's also sort of a mess. However, I haven't touched it in the five ensuing years, and in retrospect I wonder how much of that was the game itself or just how nice it was to have any sort of escape during that period.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I might sound sad and stuff, but I broke up with my most recent GF on January , I don't play minecraft at all, but she used to play it all the time on my pc, I can't bring myself to delete it yet. :/
Yeah if my gf and I broke up I don't know if I could ever boot up FFXIV again. She's an integral part of that game experience for me and short of starting over (lol no) I don't know if I could handle it. Sorry to hear about your situation OP.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I get that. There's a finality in removing every trace of someone you used to be with, no matter how small it may be. I got rid of all our photos late last week and it was straight up the hardest thing I've ever done.

:/ It's really hard isn't it. But also empowering in a way, when you gain the willpower to do it.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I don't really have this experience for games, just because in a bad time I can't bring myself to do anything let alone play games, I guess the closest would be Night in the Woods
Plenty of music though, connected with death and funerals, I never want to hear again

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Had a long time crush turned girlfriend break up with me mid way though kingdom hearts 1. Never touched the game or the series ever again.

ieo

Aug 7, 2019
It's Twilight Princess for me. I was playing it one night when I was little while my two dogs were chilling on the other couch. Out of nowhere, one of the dogs whips around and bites the other's throat out in one swoop. There was blood everywhere and she died less than a minute later in my arms. I was in the sewers as Wolf Link for the first time when it happened, I was in mid jump to go listen to one of the guards. To be honest, I don't really play any Zelda game anymore because of this.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I have something like this with Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 3D World, both games are associated with the time our respective dogs at the times died. I mean I can play them but it's sort of like I don't feel the enjoyment I know I would normally feel with these.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
The final DLC map for Black Ops 3 zombies (Revelations) has this feeling for me as it came out at a time of my life where I was deeply depressed and I tried to love the map as it was the conclusion to a story I loved but I just couldn't get the negative thoughts out of my mind as I played it. Similar story with Pokémon Moon as it was around the same time and I thought it would help me, but I never ended up finishing it

Oct 31, 2017
Had a similar experience to OP but with Skyrim. Keep trying to go back to it but it's almost an unconscious inability to enjoy myself with it