• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I usually play at max or the second highest difficulty, but Yakuza 0 combat is just not good at all.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
All action based games these days, Turn-Based and CRPGs I play at normal as they don't need quick reactions.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Max Payne 3. Also used infinite bullet time cheat. So much fun

As I get older the less I care about a challenge. I used to be a "git gud" guy, I was an OG Demon's Souls player, imported the SK version before it came out in US, now I want soulslike games to come with an easy mode. It'll happen to you too.

Oct 27, 2017
When I first played Fallout 3 back in the day, I played the whole thing with godmode on. The combat was so fucking terrible that I couldn't stomach it. Really enjoyed everything else though.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Spider-Man 2 and FFVII Rebirth. Look, I'm thirty-something and basically the only action game I regularly play nowadays is GTA Online, which I suck at. I did start them at normal, but hit a wall halfway through the former and kept getting my shit pushed in, so I bumped it down.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
My favorite difficulty in Civilization II is Chieftain. Destroying the CPU's Pikemen with my Tanks is so much fun. It's basically a built-in Cheat Mode.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 3 on PS2. Had to take it down to Easy (Japanese Normal) after I hit a wall with Cerberus.
Jedi Fallen Order

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
God of War (2018)
Doom Eternal
Wolfenstein:TNO

Honestly, I play the majority of games on easy and find them a lot more fun than ones that don't have difficulty options.

Jul 1, 2020
For me it was Baldur's Gate 3 because I was really unfamiliar with the many, many mechanics and how they interact. I also hadn't really played anything like it before.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Eiyuden chronicles. I usually stick out through these rough early games in jrpgs when playuing on hard difficulty, cuz I know the difficulty curve changes by the end, or even mid game... but this is unbearable. I started having way more fun the milisecond I swapped to normal.

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
a general rule for me is the spongey-ness/ai behaviors. if i feel like the game doesn't handle harder difficulties well or even normal feels unbalances, i throw it down. GOW:R definitely turned me off with the harder difficulties in the larger environments with more and more fighting. i dont want every single battle in an open world to be insanely difficult

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Wolfenstein New Order/New Colossus. Way more fun to just fly through the maps mowing down Nazis than playing bullet-sponge cover shooter.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Machinegames Wolfenstein series, even The New Order is pretty terribly balanced at anything higher than the middle difficulty, and even post patch The New Colossus is very obnoxious.
I used to play most FPS's on the difficulty above the default (whatever that game happens to call it), did it fine with The New Order but The New Colossus is indeed obnoxious. I bumped it down to normal.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Whoa. I almost made this topic cuz I was thinking the same thing.

Dragon Age -- the whole series. I love those games, but I cannot be fucked to learn the combat.
GoW 2018 - I had to drop down to Easy to beat most of the Valkyries.
Trails into Reverie and Kuro no Kiseki II - dropped both to easy post-game just cuz I didn't want to grind Quartz levels and equipment just to see some story beats.
Forgot about FFVII Remake: Struggled through combat the whole game, got rolled on Rufus, said "fuck this" and didn't look back till the credits were rolling.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I totally agree on Jedi. I really wasn't expecting that much pushback - I played it expecting a Jedi power fantasy with a fairly low level of challenge. I threw the difficulty down for the second half. No regrets.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely doom eternal. That game is much more fun as an arcade shooter on easy then having to juggle all the Mechanics during combat.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
A few examples, but I know there are more...

FF7 Rebirth (last chapter or so; just wanted to see it through to its end due to how many hours I'd already put in!)
Persona 4 Golden (hit a brick wall with a boss and just started over on easy)
SMT5 (went back and forth between normal and casual depending on mood/patience; safety was way too much though)
Hades (used God Mode here and there to get some progression going)

03-AALIYAH

Jul 21, 2023
Doom Eternal. I can admire what the game was attempting to do gameplay-wise, but I'm bad at fast-paced action shooters (edit - correction : I'm bad at nearly all type of games).

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
Recent God of Wars. I pumped up the difficulty for the challenge. Then after having dying enough times it just got annoying--I'm the GOD OF WAR why am I dying?!? So I dropped down to Normal and things got waaaay better.

Apr 14, 2024
Doom Eternal. I can admire what the game was attempting to do gameplay-wise, but I'm bad at fast-paced action shooters (edit - correction : I'm bad at nearly all type of games).
This, except I was kinda cranky after turning down the difficulty. I struggled with Ultra-Violence till the final 10% of the game and by the time I turned it down I was just kind of in a foul mood.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Midnight Suns. I was having a fun time going through all the stuff on the highest heroic I could go. I reached heroic 3 and decided to keep it there and not go to ultimate diffculty (or whatever its called), since I felt like Heroic 3 was the good high normal difficulty.

Now that I'm toward the end of the game, they just spam high health enemies everywhere. I'm on a mission I can't possibly beat atm. Thinking of just lowering the difficulty now, cause screw that, I just want to have it fair again.

Nov 9, 2017
I recently did this with Rise of the Ronin and man I enjoyed the game a ton more (mostly because I was more interested in the story then the combat - shocking I know) but yah I'll do this if I'm feeling roadblocked and just wanna get on with it. I'm 47 and don't give two sweet fucks about difficulty or grinding or "git gud" and because I play almost exclusively single player story driven games.......couldn't give a fuck about "difficulty" anymore.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Any racing game, for sure.

In fact the only games I enjoyed more at HIGHER difficulty are COD campaigns, I always immediately switch to Veteran on those, and they're still too easy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Recently, WWE 2K24. Goddam that game is hard for me, even on easy. I'm trying to do the Showcase mode and man on the default difficulty Macho Man just beat my ass ruthlessly for 14minutes and landed like three flying elbows on poor Ricky Steamboat.

I had to turn down the difficulty to get through it.

It's kinda cool in a way that the game just completely beats your ass if you're not good at it, when the norm for wrestling games for ages was that within a minute or two, pretty much anybody can beat the shit out of the CPU.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 and Wolfenstein TNC.

Uncharted 4 is flat out not enjoyable on anything above normal for me. The game introduced new movement mechanics and more open, varied encounters, but if you are playing on harder difficulties, Nathan has such low amount of HP that you're gonna be mostly just be playing it like the first 3 uncharteds - crouched behind covers, timing your shots. Whereas on normal or lower you can just swing around, get in the enemies faces and just generally have a lot more combat freedom and fun.

Wolf TNC had terrible feedback on damage taken, dunno if they improved this post launch but I basically never could tell if im taking damage or how much. So this made the game feel really poor, plus I also think that its way more fun to treat it as a run and gun game, which you can do on normal or below.

With Uncharted 4 I had such a rough time with the Crushing difficulty, more so than the other games. I think it was because I so badly wanted to make full use of the game mechanics but it actively discourages it, when really it should be the opposite way around and award you for doing crazy pulp action stuff.

The freaking ship graveyard...

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Uncharted 4 and the modern Wolfensteins are good mentions. Wolf especially was a really frustrating experience.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Towards the end of Soul Hackers 2, there's a boss that does nothing but nonstop summons. Just an immense pain in the ass.
I was actually having a decent time until then. Dropped the difficulty to easy to finish things off and shelve the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Alan Wake - not playing it for the combat anyway, I just want the story. Alan Wake 2 is a bit different, as I wish there was a setting between easy and normal.

Yakuza Kiwami - It's not hard on normal, but there's just so many fights all the dang time, and boss fights take so long. Easy makes it more tolerable.

Forza Horizon, all of them - I barely even race anyway, I just want to drive and unlock things.

Oct 25, 2017
If I turn it down to easy, it usually means I don't like the gameplay.
Though sometimes I'll enjoy the other aspects of the game enough to play through on Easy.

The World Ends With You, I really just didn't like the combat at all, but loved everything else.
The Halo Wars games, I just can't handle the amount of time lost when you lose. Too frustrating.

Classic Silent Hill and Resident Evil games I played on easy after having to start over in SH1 when I ran out of resources.
I liked being able to just kill everything and fully focus on exploring and puzzles.

I usually play pure action games on the hardest difficulty.

Boopers

Nov 1, 2020
Vermont usa
Witcher 2. Combat was not very good so rather just kind of ignore it. Did not really like it in 3 either so played that on easy as well. I wanted the story. I rather play games with better combat on hard.
Oh man. Playing Witcher 2 on Dark Mode was a horrific experience I never want to repeat. I really enjoyed Witcher 3 on Death March, though, although it still had its fair share of BS.

Oathkeeper

Apr 1, 2018
Yakuza Kiwami, normal to easy. Not because it's hard on Normal, but because combat was just super annoying on Normal, I found. I've played every other Yakuza on Normal though.

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
Horizon: Forbidden West. I ordinarily play all games on normal difficulty and usually the only extremely rare time I ever bother with a higher difficulty is if it's a game I really enjoy enough to replay and want to attempt going for a trophy that's difficulty-related. Compared to Zero Dawn, I found the enemies way more spongy and battles were just on the side of being too long to be enjoyable. Honestly wish I'd lowered the difficulty way sooner.

First thing I thought of. Enemies in that game were ridiculously spongy (even when paying attention to elemental weaknesses), to the point where I started dreading every encounter. Easy mode felt like what should have been the normal balance.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I'm embarrassed to admit it because I didn't do this for Remake, but Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. The boss fights just felt so long that I started to dread them, so I did half the game on easy instead and had a much more enjoyable time that way.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
FF7 Rebirth and FF 16. Put both on easy mode.
Recently started God of War HD Collection, started on easy as well.
No shame but pure joy in it.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the puzzles for Silent Hill 3 are fucking insane on the highest difficulty, often requiring external knowledge that the game doesn't actually give you (looking at you, Shakespeare book riddle). The puzzles are definitely not what I come to these games for so I turn that shit to easy and move on with my life.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer playing Uncharted on the lower difficulties. Running at enemies with blindfire and then using the melee finisher up close >>>> sitting behind cover

I usually play at max or the second highest difficulty, but Yakuza 0 combat is just not good at all.

Same for me but with the other Yakuza games. I don't even find them that difficult, enemies just have way more HP than they should.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I wanna say all of them, but to give a particular example I enjoyed FFVII Remake a lot more on my second playthrough on easy. I found it difficult and frustrating the first time with some battles I got stuck on and some sections of the game dragging.

On the second playthrough it became one of my favourite games (there were other factors as well but difficulty was an important one).
I ended up dropping FFVIIR to easy for its final boss, which I found to be such a tremendous difficulty spike that it soured the experience for me.

Macaco5

Jan 2, 2018
I rarely play games on easy but that's just a slightly compulsive issue I have where my brain doesn't feel like I have truly "completed" a game unless it is done on normal or higher.

Which has admittedly led to some really frustrating moments in games. God of War (2018) the Valkyries come to mind...took over 100 attempts.

But I have to say, the sense of satisfaction when I do finally punch through is unmatched.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Almost no games, honestly. I prefer a challenge to keep me engaged. The only time I turn it down is if there's some kind of bullshit difficulty spike, if the difficulty mode itself relies on bullshit (like bloated health etc...), or if I just find myself losing interest in the mechanics and want to quickly see the end.

Happened to me with Horizon Forbidden West recently. I loved that game for the first 50 or so hours I spent, then it just got a bit repetitive. Had played on second highest difficulty the entire game, put it to Story and just blitzed the final couple of hours so I could see the end.

Same for me. I usually only play games on hard as I need to overcome a challenge or learn and adapt with it's mechanics to feel engaged, something I often feel is lost sliding difficulty down to easy or often even normal. I'd rather not bother playing at all if i can subvert the game rules and steamroll through, unless there is something else really compelling about it.

Only Horizon had me buckling eventually and toning down the difficulty about halfway through as the bloated enemy health and defenses led to droll repetitive actions and overlong fights. Found it a very outlier example of enjoying the game on a lower difficulty, rare for me. Wolfenstein New Colossus is another exception where I quickly began to loathe its combat on the harder difficulty, but that is more due to poor design in both level layouts and attrition fights, it's not a very good game in contrast.

In contrast to many posts in this thread, I adored Jedi Fallen Order on its hardest difficulty. Some fights were brutal and could be frustrating dealing with a gauntlet between checkpoints, but the satisfaction of mastering timing and use of my ability suite felt incredible. Hell, even the final boss was a great denouement and a rite of passage. I still need to play the sequel and will do so on it's hardest diff too.

Last edited:

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Horizon Forbidden West. I tried playing it on Very Hard like I did with Zero Dawn, but I just couldn't do it.

Oh yeah, this is actually a good one. I did too at.first as the first was satisfying when harder and a bit braindead otherwise, but normal felt fine in Forbidden West + the crafting systems are so laborious. Enemies are much faster and frantic generally, and I liked playing around with different weapons which meant I didn't have anything upgraded particularly well