Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

What's racist about Rog?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SMT: Nocturne has sambo looking monsters. There's a cutscene with them early at the hospital and a protagonist says they don't understand the monsters' "nappy language".

Apr 16, 2018
most of the replies I'm seeing in here have almost nothing to do with racism. A lot of you guys seem confused on what racism actually is.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my brother and I grew up in istanbul, and I remember as we played through that level together we couldn't stop laughing/shaking our heads at how poorly realised that very specific locale was. pretty surprising these days given naughty dog's calibre, but yeah - you'd expect them to do better
Right on, you mean the environments or the guards etc? It did seem quite cartoony

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
B..but it's supposed to hit close to home. I legitimately don't get that sentiment lol

This hypothetical Pisher-Price racism that doesn't hit close to home isn't worth anything to anybody....besides i mean there's really only so many ways you can be racist.

If the Al-Bhed treatment in FFX was not "clear and widespread prejudice" and instead was just "minor annoying stereotypes and swirly eye jokes" then it would literally be worthless as a plot element
My dude. I'm not even asking for baby's first racism in games--all I'm saying is that aspect of the game does not age well for me. The trope of minority groups getting obliterated as a narrative technique is awfully common in games (and pop culture) and at this point I doubt that the Al-Bhed will meet a positive resolution at the end of the game. I believe that this plot point, while probably well-intended, is now quite ineffective and outdated. So I'm saying it's only harmful, not actually racist.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
How is SF II considered racist, but Mario not? Both are stereotypes and not necessarily a bad one. Both aren't racist imo.

Oct 31, 2017
My dude. I'm not even asking for baby's first racism in games--all I'm saying is that aspect of the game does not age well for me. The trope of minority groups getting obliterated as a narrative technique is awfully common in games (and pop culture) and at this point I doubt that the Al-Bhed will meet a positive resolution at the end of the game. I believe that this plot point, while probably well-intended, is now quite ineffective and outdated. So I'm saying it's only harmful, not actually racist.

Out of curiosity, how do you think it'll resolve?

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda hilarious how inauthentic and over the top the voice acting was. At least if you were going to do it, be authentic with it and get voice actors that can do it. When I'm playing GTA V, at least Lamar and Franklin sound real.
There was an interesting interview with the voice actor for Deus Ex HR's Letitia where she defended her performance as being as authentic as possible. She didn't criticize the game much, but clearly understood the criticism due to being a working actress of color. Her perspective has some unexpected nuance. Would link to it but I'm on a slow mobile device.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Mmmm, he had some elements and writing that were a bit on the nose. But he also had a pretty fleshed out back story and relationships that took him beyond a stereotype and rounded him as an individual pretty well.

Nope, none of that makes up for the dumb, stereotypical slang talk and overall impression as a buffoon.

OutOfBounds

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin, GER
Not racist, more homophobic, but the Faggio line of scooters and the Bati 801 sports bike come to my mind in regards to the GTA series as especially tonedeaf in todays cultural climate.
The second one even more so than the first one makes me wonder how it did even found its way into the released version of their respective games, taking into consideration what it references - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batty_boy

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

meh, well, keep playing the game i guess

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Other people have said it, but Resident Evil 5. I adore Resident Evil as a franchise, and 5 is one of the better ones. But boy whenever I want to play co-op with a friend I have to always preface it with "well... this game is pretty racist, so just be aware of that." It always makes for an awkward time for a game that's meant to be primarily played in co-op.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
I've heard Detroit become human is in some part and it put me off buying it, shame cos I liked the demo

Detroit is not racist... But, it is an extremely thin allegory about race ... the problem is that those portions of the game present the "race" issues in such a cringe-worthy way.

Like the android march scene

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Definitely Resident Evil 5 for me. From a gameplay design perspective, I think it's just as good as RE4 assuming that you're fortunate enough to have a relatively close friend to play with -- a partner that works well with you AND is able to play consistently. As we all know, the AI partner completely pales in comparison, even after vast improvements have been made to its AI in subsequent rereleases of the game.

But yeah, that game has some pretty overt racism going on in its context and it's awful. I have a hard time returning to it, despite having a really great time playing with one of my best friends and former roommate at the time of its release. It's a damn fun game with a terrible context.

I'm increasingly starting to feel similarly about The Division, particularly the early stages of that game. Another one I really still enjoy playing with friends, but the more I actually do think about what that game is representing within its context, the stronger my notion of having fun within it starts to be challenged. Playing as a member of a violently aggressive sleeper paramilitary is strike one, and then pitting them against a bunch of groups that seem like analogues to real-world groups that struggle within society (such as the overtly racist Black Lives Matter analogue) without any question makes the kinda sappier marketing and opening scene of the agency's activation feel like kinda gross propaganda -- the agency itself has almost no real notion of restoring civility as it would imply, only of acting in response to aggression with dominant aggression. I'm not saying The Division needs to be a pacifist force, as I do think the context might call for some level of violence, but you never seem to participate or even hear about any effort to restore peace by any means other than completely indiscriminantly destroying factions that also seem to have zero interest in participating in the conflict with anything more than curly-moustache levels of anger and violence. The Division sucks, and the way the opposing forces are written and handled are shitty, too -- for the most part, they're both easily-digestible absolutes of violence contextualized by weak real-world influences that kinda disservices the real-world people that the context is pulled from (like the aforementioned Black Lives Matter) because it's digested down to "just kill them because they've responded to this crisis with violence, easy solution." Gross.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I've heard Detroit become human is in some part and it put me off buying it, shame cos I liked the demo
Racist? No, I wouldn't say it's that. More just that it maybe squanders it's allegory of slavery and has a muddled message. The story is really pretty entertaining though. I was definitely gripping my seat at times.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
The fact that the main villain(s) of the KH series are pretty much the only dark-skinned ones has rubbed me the wrong way for a while.

Came in this thread to post this. I love the series, but damn if I don't bring it up that the only characters that are dark-skinned (aside from Rai) are villains and the one character who's presented villainously but then becomes good (Diz) goes immediately from black to aryan white immediately upon make his heel-face turn. I get that the point was to be a 'twist' since if he was blue-eyed and blonde, you'd put together that he was Ansem immediately, but boy if it's not a lil sketchy.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As a southern spanish/andalusian guy, RE4 was as... racist? As it gets, because holy fuck i wish it was stereotypical.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's not racist. It's just a poor story about racial history.

This. Detroit isn't racist. It just tells a story about racism in such a ham-fisted way that feels unintentionally exploitative. It earns absolutely none of its 'meaningful' references.

Surprised no one has mentioned Duke Nukem yet, though I guess it's more misogynistic than racist. I loved that game as a kid, but it is a game that is best left in the past.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Play through ESO's Summerset expansion.
God damn, Altmer are racist as fuck.
Also, the opening quest dealing with recently arrived outsiders being caged and sacrificed is a bit unintentionally on the nose.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Letitia in Deus Ex: HR was rough, but the original game was terrible. Every non-American character had the worst excuses for foreign accents. I'm sure Wan Chai Market had some weirdly race-coded stuff, but it's been a while.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
Call Of Duty... how has no one brought this up; All the brown foreigners are trying to kill us good christian folk & destroy murica

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Definitely Resident Evil 5 for me. From a gameplay design perspective, I think it's just as good as RE4 assuming that you're fortunate enough to have a relatively close friend to play with -- a partner that works well with you AND is able to play consistently. As we all know, the AI partner completely pales in comparison, even after vast improvements have been made to its AI in subsequent rereleases of the game.

Co-op doesn't fix the issues with RE5's pacing and bosses. It's nowhere near as good as RE4.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Call Of Duty... how has no one brought this up; All the brown foreigners are trying to kill us good christian folk & destroy murica

I feel like poor Ivan and Jerry tend to get the short end of the stick more.

You think you're fighting middle eastern terrorists but SUPRISE! it's actually a Russian.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
Italians are pretty proud of Mario. Source: me and literally every people I know are Italian and we all love Mario.
This is always an interesting, when people outside of a particular group get offended on how that group is portrayed. For example, couple years ago, Warner Brothers removed all Speedy Gonzales cartoons from airing. Not because of actual complaints from Mexicans or Mexican Americans, but from other people who felt the character could be seen as racist. Shortly thereafter, a Mexican American rights group had to publicly say they liked the character and wanted him to return before WB brought him back.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
That flash game was ancient but I had no idea someone would dare to upload it to Google Store and become approved before getting removed!

gay-ass-hunter.jpg

Popular game hunting on gays is now on android! Play and do not be gay! Legendary game, where you are hunter and your mission is to kill gays as much as you can or escape between them to the next level. Gays may be hidden in bushes and unexpectedly catch you. Remember! When they catch you they will do with you whatever they want ;)
WTAF! Is this real?