OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Gizmos and Gadgets and KidPix were the only "Games" on my public school computers.

But we all definitely had floppy disks with ZSNES

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I dunno how but someone snuck in an NES emulator with a bunch of games on one of the schools computer directories. You can access it from every computer on school too. I remember finishing Castlevania in class when I was supposed to be learning Excel.

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
When I was around 14/15 someone put the whole of GTA 3 on the computer system.. that was a good couple days! Other than that back in primary school we had some old as hell computers with floppy discs the size of records, was all BBC text adventures based on educational shows we watched. I remember something about finding some eagles eggs or something?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
In primary school it was Granny's Garden on the BBC as people have already said

In high school though it was this on Windows 95

01gorillatoss-1024x560.png
We had Acorn Archimedes and Acorn RISC PCs at high school, had to wait until sixth form college to get to play QBasic Gorillas at lunchtime.
holy shit i haven't thought about or seen this game for at least a decade and a half

what even is it called?
It was "Gorillas", one of the demo programs that came with Microsoft's QBasic. Microsoft's first party output at its best.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
In Year 6 at my primary school one of our PCs had Civilization II, I spent an entire 'game day' on it. First PC game I ever played I think.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Geordie Racer on the RM Nimbus. My first memory of games in all its DOS glory

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
At primary school the computers all had Monster Truck Madness and Zool on them for whatever reason

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Zambia in the mid 2000s(primary school) and all the school computers had some game called Dave(Danger Dave?) And a bootleg Super Mario Bros. The coveted PC in the lab had GTA3. My secondary school had no games on any of the computers.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
In the HS PC lab we had a lot of shitty old PCs so they really couldn't run much.
But I found out that some upperclassmen were the kind ones who installed:
Sim City
Out of this World
Doom
And some others I can't quite recall.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
We had Doom and Worms on them, I'm not really sure why, but they were there. No educational games either. Lol

I'm referring to Mid/HighSchool so like 2008-2010.

samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
There were no "inexclicable" games, because they were all installed by a buddy of mine.

I've played at least Stunts, Indianapolis 500 and Doom on school computers. Doom on school computers was my first LAN multiplayer experience.

I also remember Police Quest 3, Willy Beamish and Street Rod from school.

Last edited:

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Gizmos and gadgets
Midnight rescue
Some Mickey Mouse party planning game

GIZMOS AND GADGETS!!!!!!

Ah yeah, Gizmos and Gadgets and the Rescue games! I also really liked Operation Neptune, but I don't remember if the school computers had it or not.

Gizmos and Gadgets and KidPix were the only "Games" on my public school computers.

But we all definitely had floppy disks with ZSNES

Gizmos and mother fuckin gadgets

super-solvers-gizmos-gadgets_8.gif

super-solvers-gizmos-gadgets_10.gif

super-solvers-gizmos-gadgets_12.gif

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Super Street Fighter 2. Don't remember if it was turbo or not but yeah, we had that in our PC room. The only other games we had were touch typing programs and edutainment stuff. Sadly none of us had much use for it cause it was on keyboard and could not really play it much other than button mash and the occasional fireball. We were arcade brats and would go down to the local arcade almost everyday yet we had access to SSF2 and didn't do much with it due to the controls.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think we had Chuckie Egg and some text adventures on the BBC Micros in primary school.

chuckie_egg_BBC_MICRO.gif

And then in secondary school we had Paint Delux and Lemmings on the Amiga in art class. They had ONE betwen the whole department!

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is going to make me tear up from nostalgia. It was a little bit later, but Kid Pix was super popular and some might consider it a game. Oh no!

Also, did anyone convince their parents to get them any games through the Scholastic magazine? That's how I got the first Rayman. :D

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We had this game where you controlled a turret and shot down paratroopers from the ground like Missile Command. If too many landed safely, they stacked up by your turret and if 3 landers got to you, it was game over
Anyone know what that one was called?

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Super-Solvers-Midnight-Rescue_1.png

Super solvers: Midnight Rescue! - you got to walk around school at night and take pictures to stop robots or find clues. Our version was black and white.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
We had all the old sim games like Simant and and Sim City.

It was pretty sweet because my home room in junior high was the computer room so we just all played games while the other classes had to waste time by doing their homework

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
In high school we only had four 386 computers for like 30 something students. But the professor had his own 486, with colour monitor and if a group did good on the tasks given he would let us play Commander Keen. But one day he blew us all out of the water when he showed us the intro for Out of This World. I had never seen something so realistic.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
We had Acorn Archimedes and Acorn RISC PCs at high school, had to wait until sixth form college to get to play QBasic Gorillas at lunchtime.

It was "Gorillas", one of the demo programs that came with Microsoft's QBasic. Microsoft's first party output at its best.

It actually was one of several hidden basic programs that was included with Windows. IIRC, they were even in Windows 3.1 and possibly DOS. It was so long ago when I first found them that I don't exactly remember, lol.

EDIT: Yeah, it did first appear in MS-DOS 5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_(video_game)

Gorillas, also known under the source code's file name Gorilla.Bas, is a video game first distributed with MS-DOS 5
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Also I ran a nice little racket where I sold floppies of a mixture of pirated and shareware versions of games for use on the school's Acorns, but that doesn't belong in this thread because all those games' origin is evidently explicable.

I was young and foolish and also swimming in lunch money.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
What was the game where you climb up a mountain catching elves who ask you math questions and you get random prizes each loop you do? Treasure Mountain?

In high school I was the kid in study hall who had portable versions of popular games. Line Rider, WoW, SC, etc.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
commodore-pet-game-horse-race.gif

Commodore Pet: Horse Racing (not sure of the actual name)

ca90ef57efd5378991ce47c593f1033f.jpg

In Commercial Art we had a survival game on our Macs. Can't recall the name though, but it was pretty fun. Sorry I can't find a photo. The game was in black and white.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the 7th grade, my spanish teacher also owned a PC Games shop just down the road, where they sold all sorts of new and used PC games. She'd frequently bring stock from her store into the classroom as she worked two jobs basically, and one day when we had some downtime, me and some friends noticed Alone in the Dark 2 in her classroom. I knew about AitD and so we asked her if we could play some of her games on her mac in the classroom. She said yes and I guess didn't think about it. We went to install the game, but to do so you needed to input the admin password to allow the computer to install stuff. Thankfully, my teacher used to hunt and peck her password with her index finger right in front of us, so I had long figured out the password. We installed and played the game, which has a sorta gorey introduction.

Well, the next day, when we arrived at school, the principal was waiting for us and called us into the office. Seems we had installed Alone in the Dark on the network, and it installed on every computer in the school. The teacher said we "hacked" the system and they were threatening us with all sorts of detention and shit. At one point the principal told me he was going to call my dad and I told him to go ahead. My dad was a nerd, and my principal handed me the phone to explain the trouble I was in. I explained everything exactly as I have in this topic, and my dad asked me to hand the phone back to the principal where he laid into him about his school's shitty security system, and how in many circles what I had done would have been praised for raising awareness of vulnerabilities, and how if I got even a day of detention he was going to go to the superintendent and raise hell about how the teacher had gory games in her classroom.

I got off scott free, haha.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
80's kid, BBC computers at school...so yeah, just a small game called Elite ;)

Bbc_elite.gif

Oh, and Frak! lol

frak1.gif

actthafool

Oct 27, 2017
In primary school the Acorn computer in class had a really basic 3d flight sim. No idea what it was called but you controlled a bi-plane.

In high school the Acorns in German class had Lemmings and the PCs in the library had Battle Chess.

I never installed anything myself but I used to take my PS1 in and hook it up to the common room TV for lunchtime FIFA and Street Fighter Alpha 3 tournaments. Good times =D

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 3D
Ski or Die - I still remember the PC Speaker theme perfectly :)
Ugh!
Prince of Persia