• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Beating games is fun; you get to experience the end of a great story, try out everything a developer has put in to a world, or achieve a certain level of mastery of a game's systems.

"Beating" a game also has many definitions:
  • You could have reached the end of the campaign/story.
  • You could have gotten the Platinum Trophy
  • You could have gotten all Achievements, including DLC.
  • You could have gotten 100% completion as per in-game stats.
  • You could have reached the highest rank range in a multiplayer title.

Whatever your definition is, go ahead and share some of your completions from this year below 🙂

Previous years:

www.resetera.com

Games you’ve beaten in 2023

Beating games is fun; you get to experience the end of a great story, try out everything a developer has put in to a world, or achieve a certain level of mastery of a game's systems. "Beating" a game also has many definitions: You could have reached the end of the campaign/story. You could...

www.resetera.com

Games you've beaten in 2022

Beating games is fun; you get to experience the end of a great story, try out everything a developer has put in to a world, or achieve a certain level of mastery of a game's systems. "Beating" a game also has many definitions: You could have reached the end of the campaign/story. You could...

OP's List
OP
OP
PJTierney

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Here's my completions and progress so far in 2024.

Last edited:

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Was happy to participate in the 2013 thread and I'll make sure to post in this one as I progress

Falch

Jan 6, 2018
Will be finishing up Robocop Rogue City in the next few days. I will probably pick up Cyberpunk 2077 including Phantom Liberty before the Steam sale ends.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Starting off 2024, I have a pretty good idea (for once) on the game's I wanna tackle this year. As of now, only the first 3 months have games Im definitely getting around day 1, which is fine by me because almost every single one are huge RPGs, so this year I kinda wanna try to buy less and finish more of my backlog. Games I really wanna focus on are:

Yakuza 8 (this right here is taking me hundreds of hours)
Final Fantasy VII (remakes, maybe the original as well if I have the time)
Persona 3's remake
Ronin
Dragons Dogma 1&2 (I really should run through 1 before I start 2)
Granblue

Those right there I reckon will amount to a good 500+ hours easy of gametime.

I wanna focus on indie and VR stuff as well. I have a Steam Deck and PS5 full of indie titles Im playing through and loving, first one I gotta finish is the amazing American Arcadia... I think Im around chapter 4-5 and will most likely be one of the first games I finish this year.

Retro related, I have again a nice big fat backlog to work through. Ridge Racer 7 is what I started last night (didnt get far), Id love to cut down on my PS3 list, its still a console I hold dear and there's quite a few games I just never got to. But there's also lots of classic Sega games I gotta play, as well as continue my chronological Capcom playthrough (which is slow going, but Im going through the Spectrum ports currently!)

But for now, I can be content that Ive already finished a game:

1. The King's Bird (PS4) - Just wanted to give special mention to this game, as I got it on a whim and was blown away by it. Its the standard story of "indie game released and passed me by, ended up loving it and wondering how I missed it to begin with".
Its a 2D platformer with a huge emphasis on momentum - you have a glide move which allows you to fly/glide a short distance, and obviously the more momentum you have, the more you can fly. Controls start out complicated and Id fumble through a few but after a while they do become almost second nature, and the level design gets way more complicated as you try and reach higher heights... Levels started out taking me a minute or two, with me just needing to retry a couple of times. Later levels would take me several minutes (at least, often more) with tons of tries as the movements you needed to make were far more ellaborate. Yet it never really annoyed (and there's a nice sweet accessibility menu to help you if you so choose). I just sat there and kept retrying, and eventually nailed it. Checkpoints are plentiful so your almost always making progress (even against the one boss in the game, which honestly is handled better than I expected).
Class act all round, only complaint is the frame rate, which is 30FPS, not 60FPS it feels, the game would have benefitted from a smoother FPS.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
1. Secret of Mana (Remake)

Been playing the Secret of Mana Remake which is half ARPG, half command based JRPG. It's much shorter than I remember it, but I'm not bothering with grinding weapons and magic this time. Seems like I don't need it. It plays like I remember it. Music is hit and miss, but still retains the feel o the original game. I'm enjoying it a lot, which is in part because of the nostalgia. I guess I'm plesantly surprised.

ss_d09ab692374f3908d5509714864d49156358edd5.1920x1080.jpg

To add to this cross post, it was perfectly fine not to grind weapons or magic as long as you are smart when you play through it, swapping as you go. A few bosses may or may not be better to kill with magic, but mostly you don't need to. Also, graphically they reimagined some of the enemies, but only slightly. Most of it looks like their 2D counterparts. I had a very good time with this. 7.5/10

Off to a good start!

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
1. Superluminal
Really fun game. I'm currently playing a longer game but my 8yo niece and 5yo kid picked this out of PS+ yesterday and we spent 2 days solving the puzzles together (I was surprised that both of them sometimes did get the solution to things the rest of us couldn't figure out lol). It can be a little janky with physics and getting things just right but we all liked that aspect for the amusement as well. My kid is obsessed with backrooms and dug the unsettling vibes of recurring elements, and just thought it was hilarious when "impossible" things happened. One time my niece tried looking up a solution on her phone though I told her not to, and by the time she found it I had already solved it... in 2 different ways than the walkthrough she had found. So it was pretty cool how some puzzles could be done in different ways even though it's not really a creative puzzle solving games. Probably took us about 4 hours, though the PS5 says 2.

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
Assassin's Creed: Mirage (PS5) - Platinum trophy unlocked. This was a nice return to the classic style AC games. Around 30 hours to complete.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I decided to focus on Switch this semester, especially first-party stuff that I haven't finished: Metroid Dread, Bowsers Fury, Kirby and the forgotten land, Yoshi's Crafted World, Pikmin 4, and Bayonetta 3.

Let's see.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I beat Afterimage and while great I enjoyed Last Faith more, now back to Star Ocean 2 I go.

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
Vampire Survivors: Emergency Meeting DLC (PC) 1/7/24 - Got all of the unlockables for this DLC. Will continue playing every bit of new content that comes out for this game.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Just Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising so far! But I plan to beat a lot this year!

Edit:

I've now beaten the story for Star Wars Battlefront 2. I guess I'll start doing little write ups for each game. It'll help me compile my thoughts.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising (Xbox)

I started this because I'm really excited for Hundred Heroes. I'd asked on Era if this was even worth playing since it looks like a simple side scroller with weird Flash esc graphics for the characters. Turns out it is, but the character graphics work out just fine, the easiness of it is actually nice, but most importantly the story is excellent. I was really impressed with this game, and it has raised my hopes for Hundred Heroes even more.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Xbox)

I needed a simple fps pallet cleanser, and this was supposed to be short, and looked fantastic. It was really very simple gameplay wise, but diverse in its characters it gave you per level, and combat was all very solid (which was expected, since it's a MP shooter primarily). Fun little romp, but nothing spectacular.

I'll do write-ups for these later, just listing them so I don't forget

GTA5 (PS5)
FFVII Remake (PS5)
Dragons Dogma 2(PS5)
Dave the Diver (PS5)

Last edited:

Kenaras

Nov 9, 2018
Finished:
Alan Wake 2
Lost Judgment
Persona 3 Reload
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion
The Quarry
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Norco

Currently playing:
Baldur's Gate 3

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Paper Mario (N64)
I played TYD on gamecube a few years ago, so I was familiar with the basics. Despite this being shorter I still kinda felt like it was overly long. I played it off the back of Stick of Truth late last year, so it was pretty jarring going from one of the shortest, snappiest RPGs in this style to one of the earliest, longest ones with the most friction. Mashing through text boxes is a bit painful sometimes during the longer cutscenes (especially when I died the first time I fought the end boss!). It is a charming game. It doesn't do nearly as much as it could with the paper angle, but I can forgive it for being so early. Glad I finally played it though - I spent quite a bit to buy the OG cart so I felt obliged to play it.

Black Mesa (PC)
I played a decent amount of HL1 at the turn of the millenium, but I was fairly young, extremely new to and bad at videogames, and never made it farther than the earliest intro to human soldiers. I probably cheated to get that far - I was a really bad gamer at the time and relied on things like that to make it through. Last year I started playing Black Mesa, got busy and fell off, then this year I finished it.

I like some things about it, but overall it's a long game where you get ambushed by enemies around blind corners every 12 steps you take, and where half the puzzles are "thing that doesn't look like it could hold your weight needs to serve as the start of your giant climbing and jumping expedition to flip a random doodad so a vent opens to let you through to the next area". I know Xen is controvertial in the original, and the remake is also controvertial for it's additions to it, but the original things they added (based on what people told me was new) I actually did enjoy a decent amount. I felt like Xen opened up a bit and tested my brain a lot in ways that I didn't find quite as frustrating as some of the more faithfully adapted areas earlier in the game. I'm a casual scrub tho, so whatever.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Death Stranding directors cut.

According to the stats at the end I put 94 hours into the game, I could have put another 94 into it if it asked me to. I loved MGS to death and expected to not like this, yet somehow it's turned into one of my favourite games ever made.

I was weirdly looking forward to finishing work and finishing off all the roads and deliveries before I beat the story. Now I'm just clearing up remaining 5 stars and premium deliveries.

Sure I'm excited for OD, but Jesus I need DS2 in my life NOW! Haven't loved a game like this in years.

Boopers

Nov 1, 2020
Vermont usa
Finally beat Elden Ring. I got to the second-phase of the last boss in my first playthrough years ago, and then put it down and never finished it. Started a new playthrough a few weeks ago, and finally got it done.

Pretty good game! But I'm burnt out now lol

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Not a full game but I beat the CP 2077 DLC recently, it was amazing.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Death Stranding directors cut.

According to the stats at the end I put 94 hours into the game, I could have put another 94 into it if it asked me to. I loved MGS to death and expected to not like this, yet somehow it's turned into one of my favourite games ever made.

I was weirdly looking forward to finishing work and finishing off all the roads and deliveries before I beat the story. Now I'm just clearing up remaining 5 stars and premium deliveries.

Sure I'm excited for OD, but Jesus I need DS2 in my life NOW! Haven't loved a game like this in years.

It's such a relaxing, cozy time in the apocalypse. Glad you enjoyed it! (I did too!)

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (PC) - Got all of the achievements. Quick game, took about 4 hours to complete. Fun little Zelda-like action/puzzle game. Looking forward to playing the sequel on Game Pass.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Finished and Platinumed: Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

Finished: Dante's Inferno on PS3. Just need a couple more trophies for the Plat.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 2 (started before Xmas though).

Finished with all crew members surviving and all missions cleared.

Moving on to ME 3 now.

-

So far:
ME2
ME3
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Horizon: Forbidden West

Last edited:

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
First one this year (tho I started it last December)...

1.- Biomutant: I knew this was my kind of game the moment it was revealed on Gamescom 2018 (I think). Something about the colors, the style, the character and world design screamed out to me. I finally got around to it this past December. It's an interesting game, you can tell all the love the devs poured on the game. It's not a technical marvel, it's a jack-of-all-trades master of none. It has a myriad of sidequests that range from inconsecuential to absolutely necesarry to further explore the world and no way whatsoever to distinguish them. It has many systems overlayed one over the other that are not so well explained. There's very little enemy variety. Yet, I loved it from beginning to end. I did not pay the story much attention, but I love some of the characters writting. The game is beautiful to look at, the biomes are wonderfully realized and each very distinct from one another. They game is a joy to explore and discover. The myriad of sidequests? Most of the time they are carefully put in place to lead you to discover places and unique spots. The systems? They tend to allign with objectives that become more clear as you progress with the game. You can find a millon ways to surpass the boundaries that the game set (for combat, navigation) and you get rewarded for it, even encouraged. I put a lot of time and finnished almost all sidequest. Met almost all characters and got almost all vehicles. Loved it. Recommended for anyone that loved "european jank".

Last edited:

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
By system:
3DS - 1

1. Pokemon X (3DS) - 20 hours - 5.5/10
    Started my year by going back to my least liked Pokemon game. Approaching a decade since my last playthrough, I'd almost forgotten the entire experience, and wanted to see if my opinion improve. In short, it did slightly, but X/Y are still just blobs of wasted potential, and as is, still suuuuuck.

For some positives:
    - The regional dex was huge for the time, 400+ catchable Pokemon was pretty great.
    - The Kalos Power Plant music is great.
    - Some cool Pokemon designs - Furfrou has a special place in my heart, I have a black goldendoodle and it looks a lot like him. I actually managed to get a shiny one on this playthrough that was my MVP. Too bad there's so few new Pokemon. Furfrou still hasn't made it off the 3DS either..
    - PSS was a huge leap forward at the time, still the best online features for Pokemon have ever been.

The game feels unfinished in a lot of places, the story is nothing and Team Flare are the worst evil team by a long long way, weirdly sandwiched between the fantastic Team Plasma in Gen V and the amazing Team Skull in Gen VII. They have 0 personality, and Lysandre is such a boring villain, while Diantha and Sycamore are the dumbest characters in the series.The E4 only have 4 Pokemon each and are the biggest pushovers imaginable too.

AZ and his Eternal Floette are such a cool concept, yet nothing gets done with them at all... This really needed a third version to round it out, They're just not good games. I hope their inevitable remakes at the end of this decade (hopefully with a Legends game that goes into the war 3000 years ago too) fixes these issues but I wouldn't hold my breath.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Heck yeah, I'll start participating in this thread too.

I've beaten a run in Against the Storm and Stacklands, and completed Shadow Tactics yesterday.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Got the platinum in Blasphemous 2 today, solid game!

One of the better Metroidvanias I've played and I hope they have DLC in the works.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
Beat FF7 Remake, fantastic. Some odd pacing (maybe instead of 20 or so middling side quests, they could have had 3 great ones) but the combat is so good that it overtook any flaws.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I beat Paranormasight and unlocked all the endings. Great game and it reminded that yes I still enjoy visual novels.

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
When the Past Was Around (X1) - An interesting, yet short point and click game. A game about losing someone close. I got this on Games With Gold a while back and just now got around to playing it.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The 2nd one of the year:

2.- Untitled Goose Game: what can be said that hasn't been said about this game? Fun, simple, lovable, funny, memorable, cheeky. A prime example of why I love this medium so much. This was an easy pick. If you haven't honked before, do it. Did not finnish the timed to do list, and had a lot of fun figuring out how to be an annoying goose just for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: Started this one in 2023 but finished it an hour into 2024 so I guess it counts. Fantastic game.
- Live a Live: Fun game, wish it came together more in the final chapter though.
- The Mysterious Murasame Castle: I tend to play series "in bulk" sometimes and I realized this game had a sequel in Samurai Warriors 3 which I had to go digging for in my basement. This is a really short game with a high difficulty. Feels like a bullet hell mixed with NES Zelda at times and might be one of the hardest first party games I played from that era.
- Samurai Warriors 3: I completed the Murasame Castle mode and boi this might be the hardest thing I've played in a Warriors title in a long fuckin' time. Seems like they wanted to keep the difficulty from the NES game and found some wonky ass ways to do that here. Like when I bought it, I barely touched the main historical mode. Gave me motivation to Samurai Warriors 5 in the future tho!

Currently playing Viewtiful Joe.

Dec 30, 2020
1st of the year: Bioshock Infinite.

2nd of the year: Hydlide! The EGG emulator thingummy on the Nintendo Switch put out Hydlide in its original form and I beat it! Been wanting to try this game ever since I saw AVGN play it back in the day.

3rd of the year was just last night: The Many Pieces of Mr. Coo. Very cute hand-drawn point-and-click puzzle game, although the gorgeous hand-drawn animations come at the expense of this being an EXTREMELY short game if you're good at puzzles. Was able to plow through it in about two hours, but I'd say it was worth it for the staggering animated visuals.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
2. Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Very fun game, with terrible characters and story and missed potential. That didn't bother me too much, the game itself is actually quite a fun RPG romp and the battle system has been addictive as can be. I beat it a couple nights ago at 50 hours and am trying to work through the post-game right now, though we'll see if I have the patience to carry through since it seems it requires grinding of levels and materials etc. Still, I'm very happy I gave it a shot, I've never had much interest in the series and just finished up Star Ocean 3 a couple weeks ago and hated it, so my perseverance has been rewarded lol.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Last night, I completed Cyberpunk 2077 for the first time. Played on PS5. First beaten game in 2024 for me!

My playthrough did include completion of the main storyline from the Phantom Liberty expansion as well, but I did not end the game with the relatively new Phantom Liberty ending—I got one of the endings from the core game.

This game is likely my favorite open world RPG ever. I love the characters and story, and the latter especially resonates from having the same sort of oppressive and not so morally defined vibe as one of my favorite film series, Blade Runner. It also now plays like an extremely refined shooter—it's fast, responsive, and accurate feeling, ala a Respawn shooter. In fact, aside from wallrunning not being a thing, I most liken its shooting mechanics and camera control feeling to Titanfall 2, but it has that great headshot/critical hit feedback of Destiny as well. Great narrative content and excellent gameplay feedback loop, the latter feeling truly peerless within the genre.

I can't comment on what this game was like before v2.0. I have been "retired" from PC gaming since 2019 and thought the game was in a horrible state at 2020 launch for console players and I only thought to try it again last weekend. I'm on staycation from work so I blazed through the game in this past week with just over 70 hours on my game clock. This would've probably taken me about a month to do if I had work, but alas!

I was pretty far into Pikmin 4's main campaign as I decided to pick up Cyberpunk, and I aim to wrap that up next.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
january
1 avatar frontiers of pandora - Series X - 7/10
A game clearly sustained by his visuals.

World is gorgeous and interesting to explore and I can clearly see that they tried to make mission design a bit more elaborated than the division series but somehow the design got a bit confuse in some missions and the overall combat didn't flow well for me.

Pros
- gorgeous world to explore with stunning visuals
- animations are better than previous Ubisoft games
- navis are well realized
- great soundtrack and sound design
- missions a bit more memorable than the traditional Ubisoft games

Cons
- visuals inconsistency and visuals problems like low FPS for distant enemies and creatures, lighting glitches, agressive pop in while flying and black screens in transitions gameplay from cutscenes
- convoluted crafting and inventory system
- level design a bit unclear sometimes
- so so story and characters
- and the worst is that the overall combat didn't flow,well for me, specially with the mechs

A average game with gorgeous world and some of the more stunning visual moments of this generation

2 under the waves - PS5 - 7/10
A very very slow game with very simple design .
It's not to much exciting but I liked to play in some way…
It was relaxing being under the waves and discovering the story the game.
Story is also very obvious and not to exciting but it's not bad at all.
Framerate on PS5 is also terrible sometimes and it looks to be running under 20fps many times.

This is the type of game I liked but not recommended to anyone.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Kind of a cheat as I had already finished the main game but I re-installed AC: Valhalla to do the extra missions they added.

Real let down and kind of a bummer ending.

Eivor, who has spent the length of the game punching people, getting drunk and trying it on with her sister-in-law, deciding to listen to the destructive and harmful voice in her head?

I don't care how it links to games or what is in the side stuff or whatever.

The voice has been nothing but a downer and actively hindering her. She also witnessed how the quest for the magical alien nonsense destroyed her Brother.

It is just shitty that she decides to leave behind her home, her family and her lover, literally sneaking away in the night, to go and die in America. Spending the next several decades, because she is still young when she leaves, talking to the voice in her head. The voice, who is now nice because of reasons and is only actually voiced for like 5% of the cutscenes in these missions so it looked very cheap.

They could have at least said "She's in her twilight years" and given her a grey wig. They just reset her hair and face to the default and it looks more like an oversight than a design choice.

Gotta set up that Basim game...I guess.

Her weird Elton John outfit was cool though.