--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Starfield was comfortably No.1 across Europe during its launch week, GSD data shows.

The Xbox game, which is also on PC, became the fastest-selling new IP of the year, and the fifth fastest-selling game of the year overall. Its launch sales are ahead of Final Fantasy 16 and Resident Evil 4, but behind Hogwarts Legacy, Diablo IV, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.

The data isn't quite like-for-like, as Starfield was technically available a week earlier for those who purchased the premium edition, so had a few extra days of sales. Starfield was also a day one Xbox Game Pass release, and that data isn't included here, either.

The game just about comes ahead of Forza Horizon 5 as the biggest Xbox launch this generation across Europe.

Europe GSD Top 10 Digital + Physical (Week ending September 10)

PositionTitle
1Starfield (Bethesda)
2NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
3Titanfall 2 (EA)
4Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
6Need for Speed: Heat (EA)
7Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
8Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
9FIFA 23 (EA)
10Sid Meier's Ciilization 6 (2K Games)

European 2023 Week One Sales (so far)

PositionTitle
1Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
2Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
3The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
4Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
5Starfield (Microsoft)
6Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
7Final Fantasy 16 (Square Enix)
8F1 23 (EA)
9Dead Island 2 (Deep Silver)
10NBA 2K23 (2K Games)

www.gamesindustry.biz

Starfield is the fifth biggest game launch in Europe this year (so far)

Starfield was comfortably No.1 across Europe during its launch week, GSD data shows. The Xbox game, which is also on PC…

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Impressive given it's console exclusive to XSS/XSX (small install base in Europe) and it's on Game Pass for both console/PC.

I guess Steam was doing some heavy lifting here.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So this is outside of Gamepass, right?

Already above RE4 and FFXVI, also surpassed Forza as the biggest Xbox launch this gen. Mighty impressive.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
Beating FH5 launch while being current gen only? That's very impressive.

Edit: Where's BG3? Surprised it's not in top 10

Last edited:

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Impressive.

I imagine that Starfield both selling well and being seen to raise the value of their subscription service is seen as the best case scenario for Xbox.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
This means the first week is bigger than the first week of RE4 and FF16, not that it's ahead of them already.
Also important to mention that because of the premium edition early access Starfield had 5 extra days of sales as the article mentions, so it's not really a 1-to-1 comparison. Impressive nonetheless since we talk about Europe alone.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
... The data isn't quite like-for-like, as Starfield was technically available a week earlier for those who purchased the premium edition, ...

So actually it's not really comparable to the other titles since it's already in its second week including the Premium Edition.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Like many have said amazing numbers especially beating out FH5 which had a bigger install base and we know that game has hit 33m players so that's a good sign. Charting while being included on a cheap subscription service will never not be impressive, all those people didn't even need to buy the game, choice is king.

Love seeing Dead Island 2 up there as it's a fantastic game.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Yea this game has done massive numbers folks especially after being on gamepass. I can see it as long legs on pc steam especially after game starts getting discounted in the coming yrs.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
BG3 must have sold more than Starfield, right? Why isn't it here?
It's platform exclusive to pc .. so it could have sold more since it's not on gamepass….

Honestly starfield is such a monster.. I wouldn't doubt it even if outsold BG3 across all platform during the same time span... I'm saying I wouldn't even be surprised.

Breadfan78

Dec 8, 2022
I love how people try to dismiss its success with early access, when 2 other games in the list also had it. 🤣

MessyLessy

Oct 30, 2017
That's pretty damn good considering there's been quite a few heavy hitters this year.

On a side note, I wonder where Zelda would place if they had the digital data.

chijiokay

Aug 11, 2022
Only (completely) new IP on the list it seems? Good shit, Xbox. Especially in the same year of another celebrated new IP (Hi-Fi Rush)

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
I love how people try to dismiss its success with early access, when 2 other games in the list also had it. 🤣
Sorry but this is not at all negligible data because on the one hand the early access of the games you mention was shorter and in any case these games are ahead of it but on the other hand it is clearly not certain that Starfield would have been 5th without "5 days" early access, I repeat, "5 days".

It's a huge amount of additional time for him and not for RE4R, FFXVI, etc. Not even FH5 had such a long duration.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
New IP, Smallest Console Base, available for "free" and still one of the best selling games of the year. Huge win for Xbox when they needed it most. Hopefully the first party can keep it rolling. Game Pass seems to be hitting its stride. Just need consistent quality content.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Only (completely) new IP on the list it seems? Good shit, Xbox. Especially in the same year of another celebrated new IP (Hi-Fi Rush)
It's really good to see. I hope they continue going this route.
hilarious isn't it? The game is also on a subscription service and tied to the console with the smallest install base. It's a huge win for Xbox/Bethesda.

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty incredible with the tiny install base and available on both platforms in a subscription.
New IP, Smallest Console Base, available for "free" and still one of the best selling games of the year. Huge win for Xbox when they needed it most. Hopefully the first party can keep it rolling. Game Pass seems to be hitting its stride. Just need consistent quality content.
Considering the install base it's pretty incredible

PC install base is huge.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It works both ways. You might say that there are also people that want to make it bigger than it is. It feels like the game turned out more divisive than expected. A not so small amount of people kinda expected more of the game and left a bit disappointed. This doesn't feel like the next "Skyrim"-moment (yet) and more like another Fallout 4.

The sales are still impressive for a game that also launched on Game Pass. But for the "biggest game of the year" some expected even more. And with Spider-Man 2, Mario Wonder and Call of Duty still releasing it might not even stay in the Top 5.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but this is not at all negligible data because on the one hand the early access of the games you mention was shorter and in any case these games are ahead of it but on the other hand it is clearly not certain that Starfield would have been 5th without "5 days" early access, I repeat, "5 days".

It's a huge amount of additional time for him and not for RE4R, FFXVI, etc. Not even FH5 had such a long duration.
the only issue with this is you are forgetting this is a game that is available day 1 on game pass too lol.

Just think about it for a second. It's huge no matter how we look at this.

But for the "biggest game of the year" some expected even more. And with Spider-Man 2, Mario Wonder and Call of Duty still releasing it might not even stay in the Top 10.
Lol again none of those games will be on a subscription service..

Cmon guys.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
the only issue with this is you are forgetting this is a game that is available day 1 on game pass too lol.

Just think about it for a second. It's huge no matter how we look at this.

Lol again none of those games will be on a subscription service..

Cmon guys.
Okay, but the fact remains that without this early access it is not certain that the game will be top 5 and not rather top 7.

The performance remains notable but not as extraordinary. I mean... Bethesda has always been very strong on PC more than on console, seeing Starfield in this place was the minimum expected even while being on the GP. Most notable is the fact that this is the best launch for Xbox this gen.

Godot25

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2023
Considering fact that it is a new IP not tied to any "franchise" or multimedia IP (Star Wars) and it was released in Game Pass day one and it was not released on more popular console which dominates Europe, it's pretty spectacular result