• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.gamespot.com

Baldur's Gate 3 Console Ports Not Ruled Out

Baldur's Gate 3 is launching on PC and Stadia first, with the studio focused on those two platforms for now.
Baldur's Gate III is currently only being developed for PC and Google's Stadia, with an early access launch on the former hopefully kicking off this August. Larian Studios' previous title, Divinity: Original Sin 2, eventually arrived on most consoles, including Nintendo Switch, but no such plans are in place for the Baldur's Gate sequel just yet.

As part of Play For All, GameSpot recently got the chance to sit down with Baldur's Gate III creative director Swen Vincke, who said he and his team haven't even tried to run the game on current-gen consoles. Although he didn't rule out ports to consoles in the future, specifically next-gen ones, Vincke says the studio is just focused on PC and Stadia right now.

"Our focus right now is PC and Stadia," Vincke stated. "We're going to first focus very hard on getting those two to work, and then we'll see what happens."

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Early Access in 2020
1.0 release in 2021
Definitive Edition + console ports in 2022

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still think Larian signed a timed exclusively deal with Stadia. Which makes the early access release really smart, since by the time the final version is ready and they can start talking about console ports, the exclusivity deal have been ticking down from the start of Early Access, which means by the time the console ports are ready, the deal will have expired.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I could have sworn that Larian already said that they were planning on bringing it to next gen consoles when they premiered gameplay for the project a few months back.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think Larian signed a timed exclusively deal with Stadia. Which makes the early access release really smart, since by the time the final version is ready and they can start talking about console ports, the exclusivity deal have been ticking down from the start of Early Access, which means by the time the console ports are ready, the deal will have expired.

I highly doubt this launches on EA on Stadia (and the article mentions only EA for PC). For that to work it'd need to be nearly flawless and also already have full controller support right away, which neither of their previous EA launches had.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i assumed consoles versions were implicit. like a year or three later but yeah

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm patient, I have no problem waiting for the inevitable console port.