• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I know, I know, it's "just" an online poll, but I still think it's a significant indication of people's desire to play and have access to PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on the PS5:

If this thread is completely useless and irrelevant, please lock and mock.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If shit stayed playable people wouldn't take to the high seas

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"but no one cares about backwards compatibility"

I really hope sony gets around to it. PS3 might be difficult but ps1 and 2 should really happen

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I really don't get the resistance to keeping your old games available. Like if Playstation or Nintendo sold or subbed their legacy titles and weren't making money at it, they'd be doing it wrong. So many classics and gems that people remember / waiting to be loved by a new generation.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I mean out of those options it's the strongest so you can't really blame that landslide. Quick resume is a waste of resources for me considering how fast games boot anyways. Folder options are nice but not really sexy. Put some stronger improvements up there and we'll see.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
these kinds of polls someone can easily make a script to vote a certain way, is there anyway to see how it was conducted?
also the questions are pretty narrow as well. So easy to sway someone towards that.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It's a pretty shit poll.

Folders aren't a necessity on PS5 because media and games is already cleanly separate.

Quick Resume is slightly fancier Rest Mode which PS5 already does, I'd wager most people stick to one or two games at a time tops anyway.

"Other" is never a good option because people don't think for themselves.

So the "absolutely thousands of games" option is quite obviously going to win here?

PunkSxE

Banned
Apr 9, 2020
But why would anybody want to play that?

AtUILKM.gif

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those people, bought every playstation up to 4, and I'm only really interested in the ps5 if I can play some of the titles I've already purchased on my digital accounts...

Steam has been around longer and I'm still able to play games I purchased over 12 years ago!

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"- Jim Ryan.

I want Playstation to compete with PS1, PS2 and PS3 BC development, but at this point it seems that maybe the PS6 will do it.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I want that feature as well, but would I probably use it? Unlikely, not with how many modern games are available.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like, I realise that PS3 support is non-trivial, given the Cell's complexity, but there's really no reason why at minimum the full PS1 and PS2 Classics from the PS3 era couldn't have been made available on the PS4 and PS5, and not the re-release for PS4 bollox that they dropped after seemingly a few months.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can understand why ps3 emulation might be a bitch, but I can't fathom why the ps1 and ps2 classics on psn can be updated to work on ps5.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I would LOVE if Sony started treating BC the way Microsoft does.

Enhanced BC for Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, ICO, God of War I and II, MGS 4, Killzone 1& 2, Resistance trilogy ...Ugh. They'd get so much money from me.

Oct 27, 2017
Ps1 and Ps2 should be easy enough. They don't even have to do discs, just release the ps1-2 classics from PS3 on PS5. Or use the PS Classic emulator. Maybe they don't want to pay the licensing fee to play CDs but I imagine the money for suddenly selling ps1 classics would offset that

PS3 could be hard but I'm confident Sony could make it work. Even if it's just like 100 games that would be helpful.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Given the poll options, people would pick that even if they have no interest in BC.

And yes it's an internet poll, whole lot more people are asking for BC then would ever use it.

Would be nice, though

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I once heard of BC being described as the same logic as super stores like Wal Mart operating 24/7. In all actuality, Wal Mart likely does not turn a profit in the middle of the night, but it is worth doing anyway because people look more fondly on the store overall if they know it is always open when they need it to be. Similar to backwards compatibility, maybe it can be statistically proven out that it is not utilized as much as the demand implies, but simply having it is very valuable.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
"but no one cares about backwards compatibility"

I really hope sony gets around to it. PS3 might be difficult but ps1 and 2 should really happen
PS3 might not be that difficult. If a bunch of random people doing it as a hobby can get games to boot, a company with access to schematics and code working full time jobs should be able to do it.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a joke of a poll lol.

Here I have a poll for you, which of the following items would you like to eat.

A. An hard pretzel

B. One fig newton

C. A four course meal prepared by a professional chef

D. Other

You see the problem right?