HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I mean out of those options, being able to play old Playstation games is the obvious choice. That doesn't mean though the majority of the people who voted in this poll would actually spend money on older titles. And I'm saying this as someone who wants all of the games on PS5. This poll just isn't a comprehensive indicator of the true demand for the feature.

Rorschacht

Oct 30, 2017
I am not someone who likes Jim Ryan, but , if do recall correctl, it's known in Sony that retro-compatibility is one of the most demanded features, but also one of the less used.
This was said by Jimbo and that ex-Sony who did a QA in Reddit some weeks ago, the later suggesting that this was based on data they gathered.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Even if Sony did put in the work for that on PS5, wouldn't that require re-licensing agreements in order for them to be sold/played on via the theoretical PS5 emulator? Wasn't this the reason why you couldn't DL Crash Team Racing on Vita even if you owned it?

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I am not someone who likes Jim Ryan, but , if do recall correctl, it's known in Sony that retro-compatibility is one of the most demanded features, but also one of the less used.
This was said by Jimbo and that ex-Sony who did a QA in Reddit some weeks ago, the later suggesting that this was based on data they gathered.

Would you mind posting the links or sources to this?

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Imagine not wanting your legacy titles playable on the latest hardware, either through backward compatibility or digital purchase.

If you had to choose between those 2, Quick Resume is the easy choice. PS1-3 titles are available in a ton of platforms and hardware. Instantly loading suspended games and continue to play them right where you left... Only possible on Series and potentially Ps5. Nah, imagine not choosing Quick Resume, easy pick.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If you had to choose between those 2, Quick Resume is the easy choice. PS1-3 titles are available in a ton of platforms and hardware. Instantly loading suspended games and continue to play them right where you left... Only possible on Series and potentially Ps5. Nah, imagine not choosing Quick Resume, easy pick.
Nah, fuck Quick Resume in that case.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
But no one wants that so says the internet
There's a massive gulf between your average consumer and the enthusiast bubble. In like every hobby you might think of. Getting backwards compatibility spanning the entire Playstation brand would basically be the one thing that'd make me go out and buy a PS5 right now, as someone who's mostly content on PC and has no plans of buying any next-gen machines anytime soon. But my priorities are wildly different to all my acquaintances who own and regularly play on their consoles but don't spend a second online bickering about their gaming systems.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
IMO, if console owners want to push subs, access to older content should be part of those plans. Similar to how all of the big movie streaming services have a ton of the studios catalog fare. Games shouldn't be any different and that means not tying them to streaming only.

PS is sitting on a gold mine of classics

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
LOL at that stacked list of options

No one was going to choose folders or quick resume when activity cards exist over full PlayStation compatibility

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean look at what it's up against though.

Folder Integration? Quick Resume? Half the fan base probably thinks it's a buzzword just associated with Microsoft and don't know what it even does.

so yeah when you put those up against something they been missing for awhile now of course it's going to blow out the competition.

it's like asking

do you want

a)small fries
B)a shake
C)a medium rare steak with all the fixings and unlimited drinks
D) other

Of course the steak is going to win.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
The thing is that many people haven't been able to experience Quick Resume by themselves, if they had, the poll results would be quite different. Gamechanger feature.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
What a joke of a poll lol.

Here I have a poll for you, which of the following items would you like to eat.

A. An hard pretzel

B. One fig newton

C. A four course meal prepared by a professional chef

D. Other

You see the problem right?

i just had lunch so i'm gonna go with one fig newton

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, if it's not BC that lets me stuff my old PS1-3 games in my PS5 and play them I don't care. If they're planning some half-assed shit solution where they sell you old PS1 games on PSN once again, they can just as well not even bother.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
While I am not that fussed about the matter myself, I would absolutely say that feature would be an awesome thing to have.

Especially if the options in the OP's poll were all they gave me to choose from.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Between those choices, BC would absolutely win. Surprised it wasn't even higher.

Make it an open question and see how the responses go...

Oct 31, 2017
The rest of the options actually are quite meh to be honest. I'm not even a big proponent of BC since I still own all my old PS consoles and I would pick BC with PS1-3 games given all those boring alternate options.

Dec 21, 2020
To be fair, PlayStation has had a much bigger online presence in communities for a very long time and many of which are now in their 30s or older if they started with the PS1, they already have an attachment to these PS1-3 games much more than other communities. The poll was asked in a forum that has usually older players for starters, and the options listed do not follow from the same premise.

For one, it asks "would you like this system feature?" And "would you like this system feature?" And then it asks "would you like this nostalgia feature?" And "other"

There's a flaw in the poll and there's a flaw in its target but a success in how it got what it wanted.

I'm not saying no one wants these games, because people do, but I hope I am not the only one that sees something off with the poll. It seems to be bait.

Basically I find that poll to be useless.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I would love PS1,2,3 BC on my PS5, but I wouldn't downplay quick resume like most in this thread are doing.

Edit: I notice this a lot with PlayStation fanboys, they don't care about a feature until Sony gets it, before that it's usually defending or deflection. Like come on guys, Sony isn't going to excommunicate you because you think some feature is cool on another system. This goes for BC on Xbox too.

Last edited:

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
There's "Other" in which people's wildest dreams could be materialized, yet people chose PS1-PS3 games...

"Other" rarely wins in these types of polls because audiences at large will vote for something spelled out for them more often than something they can choose for themselves. I mean, other isn't second place, it's last place. People that can get ANYTHING they want is a little over half the people that want "folder organization".

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it matter how much it is actually used? The important parts are how highly demanded it is, how much it'll cost, and how much profit they stand to make from it. If someone buys 3 PS2 games and never plays them it is still financially adventageous to Sony compared to having never sold them in the first place.

As for how much money they actually make from backwards compatibility, well making games playable on more than just hardware that is 2 generations old and prohibiting publishers from ever reducing the price of them sure isn't helping.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
After previous ps3 shutdown debacle, seems like everyone now suddenly want BC even one with strongly naysayer.

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Why does it matter how much it is actually used? The important parts are how highly demanded it is, how much it'll cost, and how much profit they stand to make from it. If someone buys 3 PS2 games and never plays them it is still financially adventageous to Sony compared to having never sold them in the first place.

As for how much money they actually make from backwards compatibility, well making games playable on more than just hardware that is 2 generations old and prohibiting publishers from ever reducing the price of them sure isn't helping.

Not to mention, if it's a highly requested feature it's still important even if people don't use the feature. It's all about perception and branding, so it makes zero sense to dismiss a "highly requested feature" just because people aren't necessarily using it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scrolled through the poll Tweet replies to see how many times VRR was mentioned. I took about 50 scrolls to even see it once.

Screenshot_20210423-222732_Twitter.jpg

Rorschacht

Oct 30, 2017

I suppose that almost nobody bought those games, so little that they didn't saw the investment worth.
I would love to see it, I'm just posting the explanation they gave to show that they know that it's a requested feature, maybe I expressed myself wrong.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Why does it matter how much it is actually used?

Because it would be a lot of money, research, and hours to implement a feature that not enough people use to justify the cost? That's like saying "a million people are requesting a sequel to this game that sold 50,000 copies". It's easy to demand something, the people making it seeing that demand equate to making sense, business wise, is another thing.

Make no mistake, I have no idea why at least PS1/2 games aren't implemented beyond licensing.

Edit: This reminds me of when I went to an anime convention. They were doing Q and A and one of the questions asked are "why aren't you guys making more Sgt. Frog", (might've been another show) and the room applauded. The person on the panel asked how many people saw Sgt. Frog and almost every hand went up, then they asked how many people paid for Sgt. Frog and it was probably 7 hands left raised and they said "that's why".

Last edited: