Votes: 173 18.4%
  • No, it’s bad

Votes: 247 26.3%
  • No, it’s awful

Votes: 313 33.3%

• Total voters

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024
I can accept FFIX at #10 even though it's my favorite.

But FFVII:Remake above FFVII OG is insanity.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
After seeing your list it's no wonder why your takes always feel so insanely wrong. FF IX is still to this day the highest rated FF flagship title and constantly makes it at least into the top 3 of FF rankings asides from this garbo list.

It's among the most beloved FF for good reasons.

Your post says a lot about you too. FFIX is highly rated but it does show its age more than ever now. Does not mean it is a bad game in the slightest.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'll do my ordered list, not that it matters (no MMO):
  1. 8
  2. 7
  3. 10 (10-2)
  4. 6
  5. 7 Remake
  6. 9
  7. 5
  8. 13 (13-2 and LR)
  9. 3
  10. 15
  11. 12
  12. 4
  13. 1
  14. 2

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy III is almost explicitly better than Final Fantasy I in every metric, outside of nostalgia or inexplicable personal preference; the only argument I could understand would be that fewer people played it due to its delayed release in the West.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
While I disagree with a ton of micro-decisions here (including what the best is), swap X and IX and I feel the list generally comes pretty close to where I feel the games should be on a list like this vibes wise. Ignoring 16 because I haven't played it yet and FF7 Remake because treating 1/3 of a remake as a mainline entry is 🤡.

2 is weird for me because I fucking hated the original version I played (the Origins one), but the pixel remaster massively improved it and it might actually be my favorite of the NES ones now. I don't know if there was a "secret" good version of FF2 before that, but I understand why it mostly comes last, and it 100% would have for me in the past even if I feel it might deserve a little re-evaluation with the PR version.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I always think it's weird when things like this don't list the MMOs, especially when they decide to arbitrarily say Remake counts as a "mainline" game but the literal other two numbered games don't. Very strange.

For the record XIV would be number one for me by far so yes I'm biased.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
OT But it's wild to me there isn't an easy way to play 13 trilogy atm. Should be able to grab a definitive collection and revisit them easily...

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I think an aggregate of these rankings would be the most interesting ranking. Would be kinda neat to see where stuff lands when it averages out.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Your post says a lot about you too. FFIX is highly rated but it does show its age more than ever now. Does not mean it is a bad game in the slightest.

Unless for some reason you ignore the existence of the remaster, this is completely false. Pretty much all the problems with the PS1 version, slow combat, insane loadings, encounter rates, is non existent in the remaster. Specially the pc version where you can easily change stuff.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'm sure tons of people have already said this, but fuck this list. No 11 or 14? Putting Remake on the list but NONE of the other sequel games? The incredibly fucking old and tired cliche of putting Final Fantasy 2 at the bottom?

This list was scientifically designed to piss people off, lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with #1, but 12 needs to be lower. 16 shouldn't be that high either(even though I enjoyed it). 7 and 8 need to be higher

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I don't remember the exact context I made this for a month or two ago, but I still mostly agree with it. Some things shift up and down slightly as moods strike.

DYylwzn.png

Panam

This guy are sick of Unshakable Resolve
Feb 3, 2021
That's trash. I fully believe no 2D game can compete with FF7-10 and 12 is a flawed as fuck game. Remake is good but it's not top 5, and 16 is genuinely one of the worst.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I've seen a lot of people clowning on 9 for the slow load times and slow battle speed, and yes, the original PS1 version absolutely did suffer from these a lot. However, the modern releases (at least the Switch version which I played) have a fast forward feature that pretty much eliminates these issues.

I don't think it's fair to judge a game on ONLY the original release version. That's why, in my relatively recent pixel remaster playthroughs, I enjoyed FF2 more than FF1 and FF3. The pixel remaster fixes a lot of the annoying grind bullshit from the older releases and the story is way more compelling that FF1 and FF3.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
It's not how I would rank the FF games I played, but I find Final Fantasy 12 really deserving.

I think it has one of the best soundtracks and one of the most interesting worlds out there, I love it. The Zodiac version is even better.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd put V in third place and IX before VIII but solid list otherwise. It's nice to see them acknowledge V had to walk so XII could run.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
As long time of fan of the series, I respectfully, disagree so much with this list.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
6 > 9 > 12 > 5 > 4 > 10 > 16 > 8 > 7 > 7Remake > 15 > 13 > 2 > 3 > 1

double_heist

Nov 19, 2019
Well loved: VI, VII, IX, X, VII Remake+Rebirth
Up there but with flaws: IV, V, XII TZA, XVI
Controversial (hate it or love it): VIII, XIII, XII, XV
Not as good (due to age): I, II, III

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Legit skimming to find people disrespecting the game and as far as I can see, no one even has disputed that it should be that high or at least high up there.

It's my favorite FF and a top 3 (if not first place) JRPG of all time.

Tbh as someone from Europe I know way too many FF fans who have never played it. So hammering home its greatness should further increase the pressure to play it. I'm frankly envious. Imagine playing that game for the first time.

Oct 25, 2017
Swap XII and V.
Swap XVI and IX.
Then you got a pretty respectable list.

Though the FFII slander gets me. Should be with the other NES titles.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I dont agree with it, but its fine.

Like the only way youre going to get me to react to your "FF Ranking List" is if you think 13, 10, FF3 or FF2 is the #1 game of all time in the series.

I think it's kinda bizarre to place FFX so high, I don't think that game has aged well at all. Like this last has 10 really high and 13 really low... and I'm like "THEY'RE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME GAME LOL".

XII, I don't like... but I understand. And yeah, IX is one of my favorites, but it makes sense, that game's battle system has aged the absolute worst out of all of them. The animations are soooo long and the combat is way too slow, and there's too many random battles.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Swap XII and V.
Swap XVI and IX.
Then you got a pretty respectable list.

Though the FFII slander gets me. Should be with the other NES titles.

Yeah FF2 REALLY surprised me, I played it last summer all the way through. It's actually pretty cool. I think if I would've played this "at the time" it would've been my favorite game. Such a cool, dark story thats really unlike anything else I was playing at the time. I really respect what they were going for. I don't think it's a bad game in 2024 to play the Pixel Remaster. It's very playable with the modern features and I would recommend it, its only a ~8 hour game too!

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Love all the buzz this has generated on the social media spaces to have the XIV nuts scream "WHERES XIV?" over and over again, like they need to be told why XIV isn't on here. It's a great MMO, be happy about that.