• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Finally some German language skills are needed on this board to catch some of the more meaningful news :P

This is great information for me personally, I hate that 'it must be bigger and bigger' approach some teams have chosen. Cyberpunk's city setting will be a welcome change there.

The most interesting translated quote:
"In Witcher 3, we had an open world with valleys and forests between smaller and bigger towns such as Novigrad. In Cyberpunk 2077 you're going to Night City which is integral to the setting of the game. [The city] itself basically is its own character [...], it must be densely packed to create the intended effect of portraying a believable city. "

Obviously, there are also the Wastelands around Night City, and the city itself can be explored vertically so square meter comparisons are a bit difficult anyways.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
TW3 needed to be expansive with sprawling open areas to sell the world and Geralt's journey.

Cyberpunk doesn't need to do the same thing, it doesn't need so much empty space to sell the setting. Its cityscapes would be more cluttered and dense with activity naturally too.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Good. The less filler and numb walking between quest points the better. I'm actually hoping that it will be shorter than TW3 too.

Feb 8, 2018
Sounds like the right decision for that world. Still needs to be of a certain size. It can't just be shockingly small.

Last edited:

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Fits the premise perfectly considering it's set in an urban dystopia; many of us are burnt out with open world exploration anyways

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I feel like they've said this many times before. The Witcher was a big country side filled with a lot of vacant and empty space, Cyberpunk will be filled to the brim with activity as it is in a futuristic city.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hummm... I didn't finished witcher 3 but I played until the map that had a big city. I didn't feel that the world was that big. Maybe because of the invisible wall delimiting the map.
That gameplay demo from cyberpunk made me feel as if the game was bigger.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I feel like they've said this many times before. The Witcher was a big country side filled with a lot of vacant and empty space, Cyberpunk will be filled to the brim with activity as it is in a futuristic city.
Yeah I thought they already said Cyberpunk was more vertical than it is vast compared to W3

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hummm... I didn't finished witcher 3 but I played until the map that had a big city. I didn't feel that the world was that big. Maybe because of the invisible wall delimiting the map.
Lots of open space in TW3. No need for any of that in CP.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
It's immense especially when you take into account that their are 3 main massive regions.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
Pretty sure it's one of the biggest game worlds ever. I can't think of anything that comes close in terms of scale and detail.

Red Dead 2 looks better, but the world is much, much smaller, and things like Assassin's Creed feelcookie cutter in comparison.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
More packed than The Witcher 3? Holy crap,expected,but still a high bar to surpass,I hope is engaging like The Witcher 3 and not overwhelming like Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
Pretty sure it's one of the biggest game worlds ever. I can't think of anything that comes close in terms of scale and detail.

Red Dead 2 looks better, but the world is much, much smaller, and things like Assassin's Creed feelcookie cutter in comparison.
I think Red Dead Redemption 2 is as big,but the details destroy any other open world,I am playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey,and I have no doubt it is bigger and more detailed than The Witcher 3,but TW3 is a much better game than both.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
This is typically the case when comparing games that entirely take place in open world cityscapes compared to games with wilderness so makes sense.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's immense especially when you take into account that their are 3 main massive regions.
Yep, but it's difficult for my brain to process the size when compared for example with botw and gta where the world is really open. Anyway, I think that those are good news.

Mar 29, 2018
Fine by me if true. It'll also be more vertical. The gamescom demo showed how much is packed into very small environments, unlike how in TW3 most spaces around and inside buildings were basically filler.

You clearly didn't get to the game's later parts, where it turns out that first huge map (with the city) is only around half the game.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is as expected really. Can't easily fill the world with hills and forests quite like you can in The Witcher. It takes a lot more work to create a city environment like Cyberpunk will have.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The only way it wouldve come close is if you could go outside the city. Im okay with this.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Folks ought to play Hitman 1 and 2 to see what densely packed (vertical) environments can provide in terms of playabilitiy and map memorization.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
So glad to hear this, my biggest complaint of Witcher 3 is that it's too big and has too much emptiness, so having Cyberpunk be tighter and more dense is awesome!

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I mean it takes place in a giant city instead of a sprawling wilderness, i would naturally assume this to be the case

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hopefully there is more of this going into next gen. Give me slightly smaller worlds but with way more detail and tons more stuff to do, over a massive open worlds that feel empty with less things in it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Folks ought to play Hitman 1 and 2 to see what densely packed (vertical) environments can provide in terms of playabilitiy and map memorization.
Eh, I dont think we should expect hitman like levels be it with level design or how visually impressive they are with cyberpunk. What hitman does is near impossible to achieve in an open world rpg.
So glad to hear this, my biggest complaint of Witcher 3 is that it's too big and has too much emptiness, so having Cyberpunk be tighter and more dense is awesome!
That emptiness served purpose imo. It always felt like a journey going from quest to quest and it felt like an actual landmass

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
As a big fan of big open world games, this was expected and preferred for me.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Eh, I dont think we should expect hitman like levels be it with level design or how visually impressive they are with cyberpunk. What hitman does is near impossible to achieve in an open world rpg.

That emptiness served purpose imo. It always felt like a journey going from quest to quest and it felt like an actual landmass

I agree with the landmass, and the empty space was nice at first, but the game was so big that the empty space for me eventually just added tedium. For me, the majority of my time playing I felt the open world was tedious.

Exploration felt discouraged when there are areas I'm meant to go back to 10-15 levels later (even if having areas like these improve your sense of progression), but I don't know that until I discover them, so rather than go to all the (?) locations and risk wasting the trip, I quickly ignored most of them and focused on the main quests and side quests.

I'd rather be able to succeed in the location regardless of level/progression like in BOTW or Dark Souls, but that may have more to do with Witcher's combat.

Oct 29, 2017
As people have pointed out, farms and forests vs streets and buildings. One grows horizontal the other vertically. Makes sense even without taking into acount that one of the TW3 maps was 30% sea.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Absolutely great to see someone with pride announce their game isn't the absolute biggest we've ever seen, and I mean that.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully exploration is encouraged more than in Witcher 3. Amazing game, beautiful atmosphere, and I like the towns and hubs, but from a design perspective I never felt inclined to go off the beaten path ala BOTW.

In general though, definitely prefer density of content so this is nice to hear.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Oh, I am not expecting that sort of intricacy. That would be absurd. But it would be akin to a marriage between Hitman game's verticality with Deus Ex.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Makes more sense to build a city this way than in a huge open world. Kamurocho from Yakuza games in comparison to open world games, is tiny yet is packed with great detail and content.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I prefer smaller RPGs more and more.

Replay over bloat. Not that a big 100+ RPG can't have substantial replay value, just that it's not all that common.

If it's not Gears 5, my most anticipated game of the year is The Outer Worlds. It's meant to be a 40ish hour RPG game ala the KOTOR games. To me that is perfect for the base game.

If the base Cyberpunk game 40~ hours, I'll be pleased.