• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They do what they did yesterday, but harder: Engineer a temporary dip in stock price to scare retail investors into selling at the lower price. Just because people mostly held on yesterday doesn't mean the hedge funds won't try again.
the blowback against robin hood was massive. politicians from both sides are comming after them and here are class action lawsuits filed. i do think they will try it again. however the effect will be minimal.

Dec 3, 2018
The short squeeze movement is pretty cool but I'm confused about why everyone takes issue with hedge funds short selling. It's just a gamble that doesn't affect Gamestop itself, right? Also, I read that Melvin Capital closed out their position a couple days ago and I wasn't sure what that meant. Did they do the stock buybacks prematurely? I saw people saying they were lying about it to cause the stock to dip. I don't know much about the stock market.
Anyway I've bought some AMC stocks since GME felt too volatile for me, hopefully it becomes the next target.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
They do what they did yesterday, but harder: Engineer a temporary dip in stock price to scare retail investors into selling at the lower price. Just because people mostly held on yesterday doesn't mean the hedge funds won't try again.

It's going to be a repeat of yesterday. They'll boost the stock before open, let people buy at the high price then remove the ability to buy again(robin'hood already announced this). Some people sold yesterday, many others who held got scared when they saw how volatile the stock is. They're hoping those who held yesterday will take the second chance to cash out today, while those who buy in today will be fucked.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
The short squeeze movement is pretty cool but I'm confused about why everyone takes issue with hedge funds short selling. It's just a gamble that doesn't affect Gamestop itself, right? Also, I read that Melvin Capital closed out their position a couple days ago and I wasn't sure what that meant. Did they do the stock buybacks prematurely? I saw people saying they were lying about it to cause the stock to dip. I don't know much about the stock market.
Anyway I've bought some AMC stocks since GME felt too volatile for me, hopefully it becomes the next target.
1. HGF bets that GameSpot will go out of business.
2. HGF borrows shares from other people to sell.
3. GameSpot share price goes down.
4. HGF buys stock back and makes profit.
5. Regular shareholders lose value.

Doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited:

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
eToro allows me to open positions for less than the stonk price stated on the marketplace. So if the stock price is higher than the position I opened do I not get the stock

No, you don't get the share until the stock price reaches that price.

I had the same question yesterday. This is one of the answers I got from Reddit.

"If you put a market order it will buy at whatever the open price is *if it can get filled. If you did a limit order it won't fill until GME hits that price".

(Edit: also see reply below this one, I believe it's the same doubt as you had).

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Spain using eToro and I can place an order to buy "underlying assets" but in my end it shows a price of 197.46€ instead of the 469$ dollars you mention. If I buy now at which rate would I be buying? Sorry if this is common knowledge, I'm very new in all of this.
That's the price it closed at yesterday. You'll buy at whatever the price is when the US markets open in 3 hours and 15 minutes from now. Most stock buying apps will let you set a maximum price to buy at if you place an order now.

Dec 3, 2018
1. HGF bets that GameSpot will go out of business.
2. HGF borrows shares from other people to sell.
3. GameSpot share price goes down.
4. HGF buys stock back and makes profit.
5. Regular shareholders lose value.

Doesn't seem right to me.
but it's going down because people don't have faith in the stock rather than because they are shorting it, right? that's why it's a gamble, they aren't forcing the stock down. regular shareholders lose value because the funko pop store is a weak stock to begin with.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
but it's going down because people don't have faith in the stock rather than because they are shorting it, right? that's why it's a gamble, they aren't forcing the stock down. regular shareholders lose value because the funko pop store is a weak stock to begin with.
Part of the dip yesterday is because people often have sell orders to cover their asses if it dips to low. Since no one was able to buy it just cascaded down and activated the sell orders. On the other hand that also clears out sell orders so I don't think we'll see a dip like that today.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
That is exactly what people said yesterday. No one really knows when this will go to the moon, or what 'going to the moon' looks like.

IF you still want in I'd sign up with a broking app quickly. It doesn't take that long to do, they might need pictures of some ID. I'm sorry I don't know which apps are still allowing GME trading in the US, but it should be on Reddit.

I bought yesterday at $200 and I'm happy with that. If it's around that level when markets open (if there's a dip) it might be a good idea to buy then. But do treat it as buying. If you buy a share for $200 treat it like that $200 is gone, not just moved elsewhere.So only spend what you would be happy with not getting back.

In short it's not too late if you get set up now, and only buy low.
It takes for ever for the application process to be approved with some of these firms.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I appreciate you may have few options and no judgment if you choose to use them anyway but you may want to dodge Revolut if possible - even for finance companies those guys are fucking evil. This article just one example:

www.wired.co.uk

Revolut staff claim they’ve been told to quit their jobs or be fired

Staff members at Europe's biggest fintech startup say that they have been pressured into leaving their jobs and taking salary cuts as the company embarks on cost-saving measures
Yeah okay that's evil. Bye bye Revolut.
SelfWealth. Easily the best trade site in Australia and recently are now allowing US shares. Flat fee per trade. It's great, will be using it today for GME
Thanks mate, I was having a brief browse and couldn't see much in the way of decent apps so figured we had barely anything because "Australia." I'm presuming there aren't many market apps that have no fees, or no fee ones are just risky? Or it's just again Australian ones don't have no fees because they are mainly tied to Australian markets?

Dec 3, 2018
Part of the dip yesterday is because people often have sell orders to cover their asses if it dips to low. Since no one was able to buy it just cascaded down and activated the sell orders. On the other hand that also clears out sell orders so I don't think we'll see a dip like that today.
That post was about shorting stocks in general but I was curious about this as well so thanks. That makes sense and it's pretty scummy of brokers to suspend trading to "protect you" which causes things like this.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be a repeat of yesterday. They'll boost the stock before open, let people buy at the high price then remove the ability to buy again(robin'hood already announced this). Some people sold yesterday, many others who held got scared when they saw how volatile the stock is. They're hoping those who held yesterday will take the second chance to cash out today, while those who buy in today will be fucked.

That and you will only be able to buy full shares, so you're gonna need $300 just to get in.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I think if you're coming from the thought of traditional investing, where if you believe in a company's futures you buy in (or just not buy or sell the stock otherwise), shorting blows. Betting on a company to go down and profiting off of that feels pretty scummy.

It's not necessarily forcing the stock down, but it can arguably create artificial downward forces, particularly with big money influence like with hedge funds. Like if most of the money is pitted against it, it's hard to reverse that trend. Ideally 1) something would never be excessively/unrealistically shorted, and 2) natural market forces would push back to punish the excessive shorts. Normally that doesn't happen cause there's not enough money on the other side, whether indifference or just not enough money or whatever the reason. GME became a perfect storm where enough people noticed and took a chance (and I'm sure there's huge fund/1%er money on the positive side of this along with regular folk) and the market worked...up until brokerages happened to break up the action (I'm sure there's legitimate reasons like the liquidity issue, and I'm sure there's obvious illegitimate reasons, it'll be fun to see that stuff exposed).

All that said, as far as the company itself is concerned (your original Q about how it affects them directly iirc), the reason to issue stock is to raise money. If their stock is artificially forced down it does materially fuck them. Or stock is used to lure/pay employees, crappy stock kinda kills that allure too. Ultimately it's money, might not be directly accessible money, but it's a form of money nonetheless.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of misinformation/speculation without any knowledge here (and on Reddit) is staggering.

Short-selling is a misunderstood concept, not easy to grasp for sure. But let me tell you some of the basics:

A short sale is when someone borrows (person B) a share from a shareholder (person A), then sells it to person C. Every short that is sold, creates a "synthetic" long position that gets added to the float, in terms of tradeable positions.

So let's say a company has 100 shares outstanding of which 50 are held by management/large holders who don't trade on a daily basis. The remaining 50 would be the float. If there would be 50 shorts (100% short interest of the float), then there would be an additional 50 synthetic longs traded in the market. So the "real2 short interest as a % of float would be 50% (50 shares shorted vs. 50 float + 50 synthetic longs). A share can be shorted many times, i.e. person C which owns the synthetic long, can in turn lend their stock out to person D that can short it and sell it to person E.

There is no time-limit on shorts (unlike options), but the longer one holds, the more expensive it gets (because cost to borrow a stock like GME can cost 50% on an annual basis, so 0.1% per day).

Short squeezes can and do happen (evidently) and it happens when (i) the position gets too big in the hedge fund portfolio and they sell voluntarily or (ii) if they have bought it on margin with a prime broker and they don't have margin any more, then one can force liquidation.

However, important reminder here, the shares that are sold short are not static. I am pretty sure the "old" or initial cohorts of the GME shorts have all covered, but they have most likely been replaced by new ones and they most likely have much smaller positions (per fund) than the initial short cohorts, because they see the volatility of the stock. The new shorts can afford it to go up much more than the initial ones. It is much tougher for it to be a 10x from here now that the market cap is so big (would need significant money in-flow to continue), compared to the past.

And when these funds cover, wouldn't surprise me if new ones come in and just take over the borrow. Because ultimately this is a game of how long this can go on and the hedge funds believe that this stock is not worth more than $10-$20, so it is a safe bet that they will eventually be right if they can "stomach the volatility". So even if there is a further squeeze, new ones will likely come in and replace them.

Then the big question is - what is the end-game here? Say that Reddit can force a short squeeze at the end of the day, when the shorts are gone - there are not going to be enough incremental buyers (except retail investors that can perpetuate the bubble) and then the bubble will most likely deflate. Short squeezes have happened in the past with Volkswagen being the most famous one, and there is a spike, but then eventually once the squeeze is over, the price will return to levels more appropriate. Because if the short squeeze is over, then what are people buying it for?
Thank you for the detailled explanation. I think I did not make it clear in my post but what I meant were call options that expire on friday and on monday.

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holy crap at some billionaires jumping in, though its kind of hilarious because surely they would have capitalised on hedge funds in their portfolio investments so its somewhat bittersweet to see them "fight" against the hedge funds.

Also hedge funds are playing dirty spreading disinfo regarding shorts expiring. I really hope some get investigated for their practices (highly doubt it).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018
Well yeah that's why I suggested it 2 hours ago. Still 2 hours to go though!
It takes days though.
I think if you're coming from the thought of traditional investing, where if you believe in a company's futures you buy in (or just not buy or sell the stock otherwise), shorting blows. Betting on a company to go down and profiting off of that feels pretty scummy.

It's not necessarily forcing the stock down, but it can arguably create artificial downward forces, particularly with big money influence like with hedge funds. Like if most of the money is pitted against it, it's hard to reverse that trend. Ideally 1) something would never be excessively/unrealistically shorted, and 2) natural market forces would push back to punish the excessive shorts. Normally that doesn't happen cause there's not enough money on the other side, whether indifference or just not enough money or whatever the reason. GME became a perfect storm where enough people noticed and took a chance (and I'm sure there's huge fund/1%er money on the positive side of this along with regular folk) and the market worked...up until brokerages happened to break up the action (I'm sure there's legitimate reasons like the liquidity issue, and I'm sure there's obvious illegitimate reasons, it'll be fun to see that stuff exposed).

All that said, as far as the company itself is concerned (your original Q about how it affects them directly iirc), the reason to issue stock is to raise money. If their stock is artificially forced down it does materially fuck them. Or stock is used to lure/pay employees, crappy stock kinda kills that allure too. Ultimately it's money, might not be directly accessible money, but it's a form of money nonetheless.
I guess I don't really buy the idea that any hedge fund does this to a company if they think their prospects are good. Hedge funds go through companies balance sheets and decide based on things like that if their stock is overvalued or undervalued before deciding if they should short them. If there's not enough money on the other side that's because investors are wary of the stock, otherwise there would be other hedge funds maintaining long positions. I feel like their stock going down can only be blamed on the company itself because the stock prices are just a result of their actions.
Like in the case of GameStop, we all agree that things aren't looking good for them, right? The only people who disagree are those spamming "WE LIKE THE STOCK" on Reddit because they don't want the SEC to think it's an organized effort to inflate the stock.

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It takes days though.

I guess I don't really buy the idea that any hedge fund does this to a company if they think their prospects are good. Hedge funds go through companies balance sheets and decide based on things like that if their stock is overvalued or undervalued before deciding if they should short them. If there's not enough money on the other side that's because investors are wary of the stock, otherwise there would be other hedge funds maintaining long positions. I feel like their stock going down can only be blamed on the company itself because the stock prices are just a result of their actions.
Like in the case of GameStop, we all agree that things aren't looking good for them, right? The only people who disagree are those spamming "WE LIKE THE STOCK" on Reddit because they don't want the SEC to think it's an organized effort to inflate the stock.
Would it not be considered an organised effort to inflate stock in as much as accountants and investors/investing magazines/investing websites are considered to not be inflating stock? Yes there is a concentrated effort to destabilise hedge fund owners, however it certainly isn't intending to inflate stock for profiting nor are they explicitly saying "go this stock because you'll make big bucks trust me."

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Will this social media schemes become the norm in USA? If so, that's how democracy ends, with a big sound of applause. New 2008 here we come.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reddit organizes attempts to drive up stonk price - CNBC: "It is manipulation!"

Hedge funds organizes attempts to drive down stonk price - CNBC: "That is just how shorts are supposed to work"

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate you may have few options and no judgment if you choose to use them anyway but you may want to dodge Revolut if possible - even for finance companies those guys are fucking evil. This article just one example:

www.wired.co.uk

Revolut staff claim they’ve been told to quit their jobs or be fired

Staff members at Europe's biggest fintech startup say that they have been pressured into leaving their jobs and taking salary cuts as the company embarks on cost-saving measures
Yeah okay that's evil. Bye bye Revolut.

Those are all lies if that matters to you (i have many friends working there), if you look at that guys article he looks like he have a vendeta against Revolut.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine pre market will drop abit when people decide to sell before the Rollercoaster opens.

And then its gonna be wild west

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
It's so frustrating to hear every news channel completely ignore the short squeeze when discussing this. Like, they're completely ignoring the entire reason this is happening in order to scare people.

Dec 3, 2018
Would it not be considered an organised effort to inflate stock in as much as accountants and investors/investing magazines/investing websites are considered to not be inflating stock? Yes there is a concentrated effort to destabilise hedge fund owners, however it certainly isn't intending to inflate stock for profiting nor are they explicitly saying "go this stock because you'll make big bucks trust me."
Regardless of if it's for profit or to destabilize hedge funds, they are doing it by inflating the stock. Also people are pretty much saying that, lol. It's not exactly organized though, and the SEC would be hard pressed to prove that it is.

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's so frustrating to hear every news channel completely ignore the short squeeze when discussing this. Like, they're completely ignoring the entire reason this is happening in order to scare people.
Clickbait works best, I mean for news media scaremongering is their way of making money and views. Maybe we need a GME of news media...

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Those are all lies if that matters to you (i have many friends working there), if you look at that guys article he looks like he have a vendeta against Revolut.

Getting way off track but: I know people who have either worked at Revolut or applied there too and they have had an incredibly bad time.

It doesn't mean your friends aren't having a good time - I know people who've worked at other fintechs and it's often a highly variable experience, even within individual businesses - but a non-trivial proportion of people at that company speak of a stressful, horrible working culture, one actively promoted and cultivated by the guy in charge:
www.wired.co.uk

Revolut insiders reveal the human cost of a fintech unicorn's wild rise

Applicants asked to work for free, rudeness, and high staff turnover tarnish the fintech startup's success story
And you have no reason to attack the source in this particular case other than they've written a couple of negative articles about a company you like, but if you don't like what the guy's written then look at Storonsky's Slack posts.

(Apologies to the rest of the thread. Stonks! We like them!)

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks mate, I was having a brief browse and couldn't see much in the way of decent apps so figured we had barely anything because "Australia." I'm presuming there aren't many market apps that have no fees, or no fee ones are just risky? Or it's just again Australian ones don't have no fees because they are mainly tied to Australian markets?

No fee brokers like Robinhood take money from you in other ways, like taking percentages of your gains. For regular investing into ETFs, which is basically all I do, a flat fee is best for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting way off track but: I know people who have either worked at Revolut or applied there too and they have had an incredibly bad time.

It doesn't mean your friends aren't having a good time - I know people who've worked at other fintechs and it's often a highly variable experience, even within individual businesses - but a non-trivial proportion of people at that company speak of a stressful, horrible working culture, one actively promoted and cultivated by the guy in charge:
www.wired.co.uk

Revolut insiders reveal the human cost of a fintech unicorn's wild rise

Applicants asked to work for free, rudeness, and high staff turnover tarnish the fintech startup's success story
And you have no reason to attack the source in this particular case other than they've written a couple of negative articles about a company you like, but if you don't like what the guy's written then look at Storonsky's Slack posts.

(Apologies to the rest of the thread. Stonks! We like them!)

Sorry, still OT'ing:

Yeah i saw/know all that, and that article is from the same guy, i didn't say i don't like this guy for disliking Revolut, is just sensationalist and very clickbait on him to only write about that company in that way. What i mean with knowing people there is that nobody was told to quit or get fired.

I'm not defending Revolut's culture or anything, just saying to check a lot of places before ditching a product just because some random guy looking for atention wrote a post in wired. Even that slack message is pretty bad, but you don't have the context.

The best source for this things is to look at glassdoor from people who actually worked there (which are mixed, more bad than good to be fair, but nothing like this guy describe).

edit: just to clarify, i'm on the "companies are not your friend", so any critic is welcome :p