Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Hello all, recently during the Pro Day sale made a purchase of a few atlus games I have been meaning to pick up. The issue I have is that I purchased them new however when they arrived two out of the three games were opened and one really damaged.
SJ7uUiVUdzSEiaeCa-IFLw800Y9hs_71wCC-Xo5Weh3nmbYpmeOoTj-_zyUOzGyokC0ysP3niZf0gQQC-dE6oGZ1iKQ8jrtA6e-oWT4Fclj7z29RnDAfTS1vcyQ4zOlEhOsP3H2ftaVkPZsZlRew7P5HHH2aF7cczimJ4GxYRWKCtEOIGZLv38B3xCEwRdTzD0R5uAy6LJqq_iRYOtfwNjggi19QnWxi2Xe5d2dYePeTrBL350xnrzIVMO5jTKibZtckRVM7JYPAP6gpxod9ApOgEojsFzJWs7VsNEyoD-mwZPPBxJ-3t9itFSUpu3AgnuKncFDFbzyym1EMPb6kU0LYhqvLJFTjv5OZ1LsdD1ulCQ-qrGLtd6CDfzrZwAFoh3vPcCgKFMzYt8TDijY7D6MqVtJWUGz7fKrghCb33LWCj9L8djFa_UKGzypuBqbREhD-NQgwFndcSkWv-iDlVoce3Gcnv5Z5pNKRW05cKavoF4mPqo8xyOairebUZl5ZzEMbUbuIcHU7ps8DOOoO8w1fQZ9cgieiQt6SaCfTK_nAATdyOWMgwk-fD-9Sk2yofu8v1i8pl_MeAORaVBzJ6BMSNXX76zhym_xrom-xyc_JXMV2HjyYc79J5G032OJZH7vfE55hn24sEAozKL82dydfzTVvvIFY-VZXRttpTzhRlzJF9KGYlShfAPkO=w733-h977-no

As you can see here, its not a plastic case. It's a paper sleeve with a book inside that carries the game and such. It's been played around with something fierce.

SwRbxO6Dl_kMs1AVKZv8XQUgQ9EuJ5eKhXe16Pgm5ApOWKzGpR-cfy3nikhcraMorVpdcxsqhmSwCtSD2vN1xV4jpnFWk6ZlXBPnWKye-NJhdcuiGQUZrC7JUj7qquKXj_kCK1Qd0hHlqZpz-TY-r_TCwcBWxE8y054du4AYEHuOuet6Snvl7IvPhrvP7TDaoMbzGEztkUPo3N8O1hbZOO-sP6rMJO6TgtGvx7oZR7Ytby5k-hPIWB3zRt3wa1VBlp4jjbNS94MMK4W8wAHCat9L2cXhzkGQX_e47m5NdzvMLOT00zRcsw3iDJzovSUHpaobcN-Ek3qI1keQwstncdQIN8A0ewupV03v-jhuqWMBFd7v-PHqaipWmtz67y2N5EAEmBOLKx9tnBTRSvSvnQupEqDo3gIAOP6Mh_ifw94RdSWC5PYbBvYhQZHxs--XALbYLjH4DR4IzkNPmlLnp4ZWyEqDgGd78i9vAv8hSvKlvdHAcYnlB8LJhTDktAEDcL2f--ij8LO5vfizdiINe8qj94fUaRqlSbIsYVXcAKKlQfdJjdMn58oIxNqOVvGPT_pq5we98TaaBU5r3YK-nX_zQUFCc3-It4ZH352bBJbO5Fba0MJdajHkO7oFCZMz-fQrZ4wIXI9MN75Co2UUGOR_kDveu6GYaVK84cneaLBDBC3y0KO-3mWWJIAs=w733-h977-no

It's not as easy to see but there are surface scratches EVERYWHERE and the bottom and top of the thing are frayed like nobody's business.

SMT:Strange Journey arrived opened with a yellow tag where you would put your fingers to open the box. Thankfully the box art and the game were ok but the box was a mess with dings and such all over. Cathrine Full Body: Premium Edition came in shrink wrapped and not harmed but it was put inside a box too small for it. For some odd reason even though it was extremely tight the game was unharmed.

I have had the pleasure of using GCU for the last few years and it only recently run out so this was my first time venturing outside of my walled garden to make a gaming purchase. I know Gamestop has a bad wrap but i thought it only extended to its company and retail locations. Does anyone with more experience with them know why the online side would store the games in this fashion? It's all just wild to me.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamestop routinely sells used games as new, its another one of there scumbag tactics. The only thing ill feel bad about when they close is the employees

Oct 30, 2017
When I would pick up games in-store, I had to specifically ask for a sealed copy otherwise I'd receive a "new" game as an open case. Bullshit practice.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Shit this happens online too? GameStop retail locations are notorious for "gutting" multiple retail copies and allowing employees to take them home and play them so that they stay up to date on new releases. People have been complaining about this practice for a long time now, since it isn't uncommon at all to get one of the 20+ display copies they'd have out on the shelf and at that point they're effectively selling you a used game at new price.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Biggest thing I hate about Gamestop Always asked directly for newly sealed games. Once I was scammed out of that with Animal Crossing for the Gamecube which they resealed themselves and I noticed. Went back and got a completely new Nintendo sealed copy back then.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
While not exactly the same issue the OP had, I was curious if someone could answer this about my Gamestop online order I recently put in.

I ordered the Switch copy of Raging Loop on Sunday but my order has been stuck in processing since then. I go to check on my order and the status says "awaiting product availability". The item is still listed as in stock on their website, so I'm a bit confused here. Do they just not have it and are waiting for more stock? Or is this a thing were they are waiting for a store to send out the item?

KlytusImBored

Oct 30, 2017
New Jersey
While not exactly the same issue the OP had, I was curious if someone could answer this about my Gamestop online order I recently put in.

I ordered the Switch copy of Raging Loop on Sunday but my order has been stuck in processing since then. I go to check on my order and the status says "awaiting product availability". The item is still listed as in stock on their website, so I'm a bit confused here. Do they just not have it and are waiting for more stock? Or is this a thing were they are waiting for a store to send out the item?

Pretty sure GameStop uses their retail store stocks as their "warehouse" so it's likely at a retail store that is completely shut down so it's not being processed. That's my guess.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GAME in the UK does this.

You take a box to the counter, they open a draw, rummage around for a loose disk in a plastic sleeve, stick it in the grubby box that's been sat on the shelf for months and touched by numerous people and sell it to you at a 20% premium over online retailers.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. After reading this thread it all makes sense! I was wondering why some games I bought just had a circular clear sticker on the side instead of being plastic wrapped.

OP
OP
Necrokey

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Gamestop routinely sells used games as new, its another one of there scumbag tactics. The only thing ill feel bad about when they close is the employees
Its Gamestop. You bought used games as new.
They have a habit of selling used products as new.
This hurts a lot knowing this, I think im gonna take the hit on the chin and know better for next time. In the meantime I know it wont do anything but, I complained via an email to them. it's more an exercise to assist my frustration. Thankfully the code for Persona 4 Dancing All Night was valid, this bundle is the only way to currently own the game since its not available digitally on a storefront.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
These are fulfilled from a store, so they were pulled off the shelf and shipped to you. You can call support (sorry I know it sucks) and tell them the games are in terrible shape, and they'll send you a return label, or maybe free replacements.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I used to work at GameStop/EB Games.

There were always copies that were opened so that they could use the cases for display on their shelves. It's a shady practice to be honest.

Why this would be done for online orders though, is beyond me.

MetalKnick

Oct 31, 2017
GameStop doesn't sell used products as new, that's ridiculous. Why would they want to not make money on the game?

Anyway, since there has to be at least one copy of each game on the wall, a copy has to be gutted for that to happen. Otherwise there would be no games on the wall at the stores. (Not that any of that matters right now with the stores being closed)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that each store is basically operating as a warehouse right now with the huge influx of online orders lately.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
This happens. Only new games for preorders tend to be immune. But they will send you opened shit and call it new if they don't have any actual sealed copies.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
I also just bought the Endless Collection from GameStop, it got here yesterday and was kind of beat up too. When I saw the condition of the paper sleeve I was concerned about if it was used and therefore the code for P4D wasn't valid anymore... luckily I was able to redeem it. I know this game is a couple years old but I wish the box was in slightly better condition. But hey, you aren't alone! (Of course, I also got a notification today that it's now on sale for $10 less than what I paid for it, but what can you do lol)

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
wow...Gamestop really is something else huh?
This can't be legal right?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
This happens. Only new games for preorders tend to be immune. But they will send you opened shit and call it new if they don't have any actual sealed copies.

The last straw for me when buying from GameStop was when they tried to sell me an open copy of a game I preordered. Refused to buy it and asked for my preorder deposit back. They weren't happy but screw that kind of service.

OP
OP
Necrokey

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
I also just bought the Endless Collection from GameStop, it got here yesterday and was kind of beat up too. When I saw the condition of the paper sleeve I was concerned about if it was used and therefore the code for P4D wasn't valid anymore... luckily I was able to redeem it. I know this game is a couple years old but I wish the box was in slightly better condition. But hey, you aren't alone!
Sucks that happened but at least someone knows the struggle of trying to get P4D lol. Thats the big reason i am not putting up a fight about it because at least the code worked. It just sucks knowing going forward that they are not an online retailer i would use due to stuff like this.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
THe reason is because Gamestop is a shitty company with no quality control. Bringing the in-store experience online.

The last time I shopped at a Gamestop was when the Nintendo 3DS came out, one of the revisions, I decided I wanted a Nintendo handheld and discovered you couldn't buy them online at the time. The only store that had them was Gamestop, a store I had sworn off going to after countless shitty experiences, but... I decided, whatever, I'll just buy the console and a game there. I bought the console which was fine, and then also bought Super Mario 3D World, or whatever the 3DS Mario game was, new for the new price. I got home, popped in the cart, and there was an existing game save on it. I haven't bought/owned a Nintendo game in decades at that point, and I thought, who knows, maybe that's the way Nintendo makes their games, like when you start it you start from a "default" save... So I started it, and then quickly realized that the save was about half way through the game, and then slowly my lizard brain realized Gamestop does not give a fuck and sells obviously used games as new. I always thought it was an over-exaggeration when people said that. I should have returned the game and made a big huff and a puff out of it, but I just considered it a sunk cost... that my time and mental health was worth more to me than dealing with the return experience at Gamestop.

Last edited:

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Sucks that happened but at least someone knows the struggle of trying to get P4D lol. Thats the big reason i am not putting up a fight about it because at least the code worked. It just sucks knowing going forward that they are not an online retailer i would use due to stuff like this.

Yeah exactly, if the code hadn't worked I definitely would have contacted someone, but I figured I could live with the slightly beat up box since I'm unsure of how many copies of these are still floating around. I haven't actually played the games yet but the discs looked fine. I'm a little bit more peeved about the game now being on sale on their site right after I bought it but lol it happens.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure GameStop uses their retail store stocks as their "warehouse" so it's likely at a retail store that is completely shut down so it's not being processed. That's my guess.
Do you have a source for this? Because GameStop does have distribution centers. As much as we all dislike their practices, do not spread misinformation.

OP
OP
Necrokey

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Yeah exactly, if the code hadn't worked I definitely would have contacted someone, but I figured I could live with the slightly beat up box since I'm unsure of how many copies of these are still floating around. I haven't actually played the games yet but the discs looked fine. I'm a little bit more peeved about the game now being on sale on their site right after I bought it but lol it happens.
IT'S NOW ON SALE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Not that i would buy from them again but that kinda sucks lol.
Do you have a source for this? Because GameStop does have distribution centers. As much as we all dislike their practices, do not spread misinformation.
I would hope he's right just for the fact that I don't wanna imagine them beating the tar out of the games in the distro centers.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
It's GameStop's odd practice of opening new packages and placing them on the shelves with the disc stored elsewhere. It's a bad practice they should have stopped, imo. I don't like buying copies there if they aren't wrapped.

Or it could just be a mistake in the shipment. Not sure why they would ship you a copy like that.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
GAME in the UK does this.

You take a box to the counter, they open a draw, rummage around for a loose disk in a plastic sleeve, stick it in the grubby box that's been sat on the shelf for months and touched by numerous people and sell it to you at a 20% premium over online retailers.
Don't forget the free strand of pubic hair.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
IT'S NOW ON SALE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Not that i would buy from them again but that kinda sucks lol.

Yep! Got a notification from Google this morning, not sure why, that it's now $34 instead of $45 on GameStop's site. Of course that would happen, lol! Definitely a good deal but I guess people should know that their copies might not be in great condition either.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that poster must be confused. Game stores make way more money off used sales, which is why they push them so much.

That doesn't mean selling copies Gamestop has already bought as used is more profitable - they make more money selling used copies as new, which is why they do it (unless you think a copy already used by a staffer is still "new").

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
I used to work at GameStop/EB Games.

There were always copies that were opened so that they could use the cases for display on their shelves. It's a shady practice to be honest.

Why this would be done for online orders though, is beyond me.
This has always bugged me. I understand using the empty boxes as display items. But you only need one open copy of the game to do this. When the time comes to sell that copy, you sell it as used. Simple. But they will argue with you till the day is done that it is new. Stores routinely sell display items with hefty discounts, not sure why GameStop thinks they are special.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean selling copies Gamestop has already bought as used is more profitable - they make more money selling used copies as new, which is why they do it (unless you think a copy already used by a staff is still "new").
I don't think that makes sense. If they sell it as new, they have to give the proper amount to the publisher. Which means they would make like $1 off the sale, instead of like 10-20 or whatever their markup for used games ends up being. But if they receive it as new, they sell it as new, regardless what the employees do with it in the meantime.

matwithonet

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I worked at Gamestop 12 years ago and we never sold used games as new. People would get opened games because we would open the new game, take the disk out and put it behind the counter so that only the case would be out on the floor. This was for shrink purposes, to cut down on theft. So if it was a popular game, we would have 5 facings on the floor so if you got one of the last 5, you got an opened copy with a sticker on it. Not saying that Gamestop doesn't do crappy things but just wanted to throw this in there.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean selling copies Gamestop has already bought as used is more profitable - they make more money selling used copies as new, which is why they do it (unless you think a copy already used by a staffer is still "new").
Most "gut" copies of games have never been played. Yes staffers can borrow copies of a new game but it's not as common as you think. It's also likely the person is just borrowing the game till pay day. I don't falt anyone who wants a sealed copy but Era over exaggerates how many of these gut copies get played.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Twisted Metal Black "new" when it first came out from a local GS once and the guy sold me an opened copy saying it was the only copy they had left. Didn't even give me a discount. So yea, that stuff used to occur.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that makes sense. If they sell it as new, they have to give the proper amount to the publisher. Which means they would make like $1 off the sale, instead of like 10-20 or whatever their markup for used games ends up being.

That's not how it works. GS already bought the copy, the publisher gets a set amount that's independent of what happens with the copy afterwards. That means GS makes more profit the higher the sales price.

Stores push used sales because they can buy used games for cheaper (from customers) and sell them with a sizeable markup, so the margin is higher.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I worked at Gamestop 12 years ago and we never sold used games as new. People would get opened games because we would open the new game, take the disk out and put it behind the counter so that only the case would be out on the floor. This was for shrink purposes, to cut down on theft. So if it was a popular game, we would have 5 facings on the floor so if you got one of the last 5, you got an opened copy with a sticker on it. Not saying that Gamestop doesn't do crappy things but just wanted to throw this in there.
Yeah, I thought this was pretty commonly known, but I guess not.

sarmonic

Oct 29, 2017
This is not limited to games either. A few months ago I ordered a collectible scale figure that was supposed to be new, but when it arrived the figure's box was unsealed and the figure itself had some scuff marks on it. It was clearly a pre-owned or returned item.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it works. GS already bought the copy, the publisher gets a set amount that's independent of what happens with the copy afterwards. That means GS makes more profit the higher the sales price.

Stores push used sales because they can buy used games for cheaper (from customers) and sell them with a sizeable markup, so the margin is higher.
I think you're pretty confused. Read the stuff again from multiple posters. I also used to work retail a while back, so I know how it works, despite not working at GameStop. They aren't going to sell used copies as new. That's just wrong.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just got Spider-Man and Days Gone from them in the sale. I was curious if mine would come like that with it being GameStop and all. But, they both came sealed and actually new.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're pretty confused. Read the stuff again from multiple posters.

No, you're confused. Please read my post again. The amount the publisher gets doesn't depend on whether GS sells a game as "new" or "used", but whether the game was bought from the publisher in the first place. That's why selling used games is more profitable.