Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I don't know what people see in the Mario Party games past 4, all those played cheaper and lamer with weird board gimmicks.

But I'm still keeping an eye out for the reviews.

5 introduced Capsules, which were a poorly implemented new item system but both 6 and 7 took it and vastly improved it into something even better than the standard item system from 2-4. In 6 and 7 you could place Orbs on the board as traps and essentially take up real estate. It added an extra layer of strategy and further rewarded players for winning minigames (since you'd want to use coins to buy Orbs frequently since they were so vital). 6 and 7 also brought in boards with unique rule sets which gave more variety and made each board require different strategies. MP is at it's best when there's a healthy mix of luck and strategy, something 6 and 7 excelled at. The best games in the series are 3, 6 & 7, imo.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Motion controls automatically made most minigames much more fun for parties.
Yet ironically the Wii era of Mario Party is among the absolute worst of the series. I do like motion controls and I'm rather excited to see a Mario Party game that is familiar to the the best games in the series but seems to be taking advantage of the Switch and joy-con's capabilities. This may not turn out to be the best Mario Party but it should be good enough to warrant the purchase.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I don't know what people see in the Mario Party games past 4, all those played cheaper and lamer with weird board gimmicks.

But I'm still keeping an eye out for the reviews.
You're really missing out if you haven't played 6, which is my personal favorite of the entire series. The orb system is a vast improvement over using normal items and the day/night mechanic made the boards more engaging than they ever had been.

7 is decent too, but it's also like the most forgettable entry because it barely introduces anything new. There are a few knocks against it as well, such as getting rid of Chance Time and making the bonus stars given at the end randomly selected from a pool of 6 categories (Mini-game, Happening, Red, Shopping, Running, and Orb). It's still worth playing though since it has some really unique boards.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
5 introduced Capsules, which were a poorly implemented new item system but both 6 and 7 took it and vastly improved it into something even better than the standard item system from 2-4. In 6 and 7 you could place Orbs on the board as traps and essentially take up real estate. It added an extra layer of strategy and further rewarded players for winning minigames (since you'd want to use coins to buy Orbs frequently since they were so vital). 6 and 7 also brought in boards with unique rule sets which gave more variety and made each board require different strategies. MP is at it's best when there's a healthy mix of luck and strategy, something 6 and 7 excelled at. The best games in the series are 3, 6 & 7, imo.

See I never liked the capsules in 5. Seems to make the actual board game take much longer than it needed. I got bored of newer Mario Party after that until I played 8 several years ago. Didn't like that one much and 9 introduced the car.

I'm really curious about the strategic dice in this new game. Might even have me using other characters that aren't Luigi!

Motion controls automatically made most minigames much more fun for parties.

I didn't really like the implementation of them in 8. Shrug, there's just a lot about 8 I didn't care for overall. The minigames and presentation in this new one so far looks better than recent games.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
I've kinda been out of the loop on Mario Party games since like...the first one. Do newer Mario Parties still have things like the mushroom village, like stuff you can spend your board game coins on to unlock little trinkets and stuff? Basically just wondering if there's anything outside the actual board game stuff.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that Nintendo takes this reboot of the series seriously and doesn't make the same mistake of crapping out sequels every other year which get increasingly worse. People actually seem excited about this one, so they need to build on that and start treating the franchise like they do all of their others. Make it a 1 game per system event, and expand on it with DLC boards and games.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
You're really missing out if you haven't played 6, which is my personal favorite of the entire series. The orb system is a vast improvement over using normal items and the day/night mechanic made the boards more engaging than they ever had been.

7 is decent too, but it's also like the most forgettable entry because it barely introduces anything new. There are a few knocks against it as well, such as getting rid of Chance Time and making the bonus stars given at the end randomly selected from a pool of 6 categories (Mini-game, Happening, Red, Shopping, Running, and Orb). It's still worth playing though since it has some really unique boards.

Seems like you got a very similar taste in MP games. 7 is in many ways one of the best games in the franchise but you're right that it's so similar to 6 (though slightly worse due to a few bad changes) that it's easy to overlook. I really liked the way they implemented team matches in 7, though.

I really hope that Nintendo takes this reboot of the series seriously and doesn't make the same mistake of crapping out sequels every other year which get increasingly worse. People actually seem excited about this one, so they need to build on that and start treating the franchise like they do all of their others. Make it a 1 game per system event, and expand on it with DLC boards and games.

The only times Nintendo didn't release MP games every year were in 2006 (when MP8 was originally planned for the Gamecube before switching development) and the period between Hudson leaving and Nd Cube taking the reigns (plus the 15 month gap between Party Island and 10, if you really wanna stretch things).

Unless Nd Cube and Nintendo suddenly care about quality control, we'll still be getting yearly releases.

Mario Golf 3DS was pretty amazing though, you can only blame the lack of content if you don't buy the season pass.

Very got into the golf games, I'll admit. Still that's one game out of... quite a few. Aces was almost great, but was rushed out the door and suffered heavily as a result.

Moshio

Oct 27, 2017
Is it confirmed yet whether you can play 3 players without a CPU in the main board game mode like you could in Mario Party 10?

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so you can't play the game fully online only minigames? Goddamn... now I wish I didn't preorder it on the eshop >.<

/lack of research rant

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's only 4 boards...

GameFAQs Person said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1VL9_5ZDik
At the very beginning of this video, the top right corner shows symbols representing the four boards we already know of AND a question mark which most likely shows that other boards have yet to be unlocked. There's a good chance this game will have at least five boards, but hopefully more.

So i'd say we should wait until the Embargo later today to find out.