• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Hey squiddos, GameXplain just uploaded nearly 30 minutes of Octo Expansion analysis. TONS of Derrick-y detail in here that I haven't seen mentioned in other threads.

Also, I learned about new sea creatures, like the flashlight fish and ping-pong tree sponge. Nature is whack, yo.

Secret best part? Half of the video has that Off the Hook track from the game reveal.

I want to play this right now.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
There was a hell of a lot of detail crammed into this trailer! Well done Derrick :D

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How's the playerbase for this game these days? I'm always so tempted to buy it but I don't wanna buy into a slow game. Is it still doing well?

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Was waiting for this thread to be made!

The Inkopolis Square entrance to the subway is such an easy connection to make, I don't know why I didn't think of it, especially since I've always wondered what that was for. The really interesting implication here is that this expansion was planned since initial release.

The shining of the out-of-sight, end-of-level object reminds me of the shine of the zapfish in their balls.

The details on gameplay focus (narrower challenges revolving around specific mechanics) seems pretty likely, and is something I'd welcome readily! Overall pace of gameplay seems faster than the main campaign's, which surprisingly wasn't mentioned much in the analysis. It seems like there's more going on at any given time to keep track of (although to be fair, Derrick mentioned something similar in the inkjet section).

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Awesome vid! I watched this before work this morning. I love the idea that the 80 missions might be self-contained challenges with a wide variety of endgoals, rather than just linear "A to B" obstacle courses like in the base game's single player.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Was waiting for this thread to be made!

The Inkopolis Square entrance to the subway is such an easy connection to make, I don't know why I didn't think of it, especially since I've always wondered what that was for. The really interesting implication here is that this expansion was planned since initial release.

The shining of the out-of-sight, end-of-level object reminds me of the shine of the zapfish in their balls.

The details on gameplay focus (narrower challenges revolving around specific mechanics) seems pretty likely, and is something I'd welcome readily! Overall pace of gameplay seems faster than the main campaign's, which surprisingly wasn't mentioned much in the analysis. It seems like there's more going on at any given time to keep track of (although to be fair, Derrick mentioned something similar in the inkjet section).
Actually, the subway station entrance in Inkopolis Square makes me more confused. It seems like Derrick's not sure what to make of it either.

You play as your Inkling in all other modes, accessing areas from Inkopolis Square. But what happens if your Inkling goes through the subway entrance in Inkopolis Square (assuming it opens and leads to the Octo Expansion)? Does your Inkling just... turn into an Octoling?

I'm guessing Octolings are the result of an Octarian experiment creating Inkling-Octarian hybrids. Hence the test-tube babies, and why Octarians don't look like Octolings. Maybe when your Inkling goes down the subway station, they black out and wake up... as the Octoling, Agent 8?

Last edited:

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
I mean, if that test-tube theory is correct in any way, pretty much XD

Whatever the answer, it's definitely hidden behind #lore. Funnily enough, Nintendo is very aware that fans are invested in the minutiae of lore in stuff like this and Kirby.

"These waters run deep, and so does the lore."

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You guys missed that the brella that one of the octolings is holding at the very end is a new cocktail umbrella weapon, in addition to the Sorella Brella that appears to look different in one of the end match result screens. Otherwise very comprehensive, I'm curious how all the different levels were work with replayability, will you be able to replay stages with other weapons as in the vanilla campaign

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This almost feels like a Splatoon 3. Or at the very least, it makes Splatoon 2 feel like something truly unique from the first game. This is the FRESHNESS I crave.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sold about the "Octoling is an Inkling" theory. At least I'd be hugely disappointed if that were the case - one of the things of note to me about the whole Inkling vs Octarian lore in the series is how Inklings as a species evolved because Octarians were driven underground, so in a way they're essentially a persecuted race, which makes the idea of turning an Inkling into an Octoling sort of carry some unfortunate implications. The lore in Splatoon previously indicated that only female Octarians ended up "evolving" to take human shape while male Octarians remained primitive. Of note is also how it's implied that DJ Octavio essentially brainwashed Octarians through the music that plays in Octo Valley (hence why the Agent needs to wear those headphones), and in the second game they outright replace the Octolings' visors with shades to imply that they're straight up being hypnotized.

Also; the hairstyle of the male Octoling is identical to that of the regular Octotrooper. Meanwhile, the female Octoling's hairstyle is identical to the Twintacle Octotrooper.

608px-Octotroopers1.jpg

611px-Twintacle_Octotroopers.jpg

This is just my guess but I'm going to assume that the test tubes might be trying to "evolve" Octarians to allow them to integrate themselves into society. I'm not sure what to make of the brainwashed Octolings though, maybe they're trying to save them from Octavio's control? Essentially what I think we're looking at is a grand old rescue operation, as we're trying to redeem the Octarian race.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sold about the "Octoling is an Inkling" theory. At least I'd be hugely disappointed if that were the case - one of the things of note to me about the whole Inkling vs Octarian lore in the series is how Inklings as a species evolved because Octarians were driven underground, so in a way they're essentially a persecuted race, which makes the idea of turning an Inkling into an Octoling sort of carry some unfortunate implications. The lore in Splatoon previously indicated that only female Octarians ended up "evolving" to take human shape while male Octarians remained primitive. Of note is also how it's implied that DJ Octavio essentially brainwashed Octarians through the music that plays in Octo Valley (hence why the Agent needs to wear those headphones), and in the second game they outright replace the Octolings' visors with shades to imply that they're straight up being hypnotized.

Also; the hairstyle of the male Octoling is identical to that of the regular Octotrooper. Meanwhile, the female Octoling's hairstyle is identical to the Twintacle Octotrooper.

608px-Octotroopers1.jpg

611px-Twintacle_Octotroopers.jpg

This is just my guess but I'm going to assume that the test tubes might be trying to "evolve" Octarians to allow them to integrate themselves into society. I'm not sure what to make of the brainwashed Octolings though, maybe they're trying to save them from Octavio's control?
Hmm, you might be onto something with your idea of shapeshifting Octolings that can disguise themselves as Inklings (and other species), the idea being to infiltrate the surface world. This would explain that one moment in the trailer where all of the NPCs in the train car are replaced with the new pale-green Octolings.

However, I wouldn't write off the hybrid theory just yet. While previous lore may have indicated only female Octarians became Octolings (apparently — I don't actually recall this Sunken Scroll), the game lets you also play as an Octoling Boy, once you beat the expansion.

Also, Octolings being an Octarian-made hybrid using Inkling cells would explain a lot, most notably why Octolings don't look like every other kind of Octarian.

I'm really intrigued to see where they take this.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You guys missed that the brella that one of the octolings is holding at the very end is a new cocktail umbrella weapon, in addition to the Sorella Brella that appears to look different in one of the end match result screens.

99% sure that brella at the end *is* the Sorella Brella. It appears to change color based on which team you're on.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
This almost feels like a Splatoon 3. Or at the very least, it makes Splatoon 2 feel like something truly unique from the first game. This is the FRESHNESS I crave.
Yeah, Octo Expansion brings what I wanted from a sequel to Splatoon. More lore, fleshing out the Splatoon universe and Octolings playable. I'm glad Pearl and Marina have a role in the single player. Also, Gamexplain pointed out many things I wouldnt have noticed. In particular that some challenges seem built around the specials. Splatoon 2 has done a good job of teaching players how to use different weapons and now specials. I was slightly dissapointed with the single player portion in Splatoon 2 but the expansion resolves my dissapointment. Only thing unaddressed is Agents 5, 6 and 7. We know Agent 1 and 2 is Callie and Marie. Agent 3 and 4 are the protagonists of Splatoon 1 and 2. I could see 5 and 6 being Pearl and Marina but that still leaves open who the 7th agent is. I'm curious if this will be addressed in the Octo expansion.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
This was a great video.

I think they're right about each level being focused on a single challenge. That's a cool idea, but I hope there are some longer, more traditional levels too. I just want the single-player experience to be meaty and feel satisfying.

The connection with the subway entrance already in Inkopolis is interesting. It does suggest that they had Octo Expansion planned all along. I think that makes sense, because Splatoon 2 at launch felt uncharacteristically unambitious. I'm happy they're finally realizing their potential.

Nov 23, 2017
More single players means auto buy for me. I think the single player levels are far more interesting than the multiplayer. It feels as if it was made by the SMG1/2 team, which isn't the case if I remember correctly.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
... The tree didn't grow, it was culled because it was in the foreground. The shadow was where the tree would grow. C'mon, now.