Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Gaming isn't an expensive hobby.

A lot of people are poor; that's unfortunately for them a complete different problem, but people here are mixing it up.

No, they're not. The only mistake in this thread is people having their head so up their own ass and reality that they think gaming is cheap because music as a hobby to them is owning five mixing boards and a wall of sennheisers. Outside of, you know, just listening to music, which is what the average person does

People can be poor and gaming can be expensive. Both can be true, and both are.

OP
OP
SilentEagle

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Sounds like it's worth spending the extra money to them on stuff like this and but not on games. People set different thresholds for different things. Also, I'll be honest, if a friend of mine was this dialed into how I spend my money day-to-day, I'd ask them to mind their damn business.
Too bad we are really close with him then lol

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My main things are.

1) Gaming can be drastically cheaper now than it was back in the 80's & 90's.

The big AAA games on the SNES were $60-$80 which is similar to what they are now, but with inflation taken into account, games are drastically cheaper.
There are freemium games & free games now which weren't really a thing back then, other than say Microsoft Solitaire & Minesweeper.
On any day of the week, you can find thousands of high-quality games on the digital stores for dirt-cheap (both naturally dirt-cheap indie games, and extremely discounted high-budget games).
The average length of games is drastically higher now. Something like Persona 5 or Elden Ring would have been unheard of. Single-player games that you could play indefinitely were largely unheard of, outside the occasional exception like Nethack. Buying an expensive new game and finishing it in under 10 hours was a real worry back on the NES & SNES.
There are subscription services that give you access to hundreds of games for a small fee each month.
For a period of time, there was the whole Mini Console fad. If you had told me that at some point, you could pay $80 USD and get a bundle of many of the best SNES games ever made along with some hardware to play them on, I wouldn't have believed you.

2) The cheap and free gaming options are the most popular games in the world.

When most of the world thinks videogames, they think Minecraft, Fortnight, Genshin Impact, LoL, Pokemon Go, Rocket League, Among Us, Candy Crush, Phasmophobia, Stardew Valley, and the like. Treating those experiences like they're inferior is ridiculous. Treating mobile gaming like it isn't real gaming when that's the kind of games most of the world wants is seriously out of touch.

3) Competition is insane now.

Making a Metroidvania? It had better be as good as Hollow Knight, 20+ hours long, and heaven help you if you want to charge more than $15.
Making a Diablo-like? You're up against Path of Exile, a freemium game that has had over a decade's worth of updates and content expansions.
Making a AAA game? Your game could have a 90%+ Metacritic, provide over a hundred hours of content, and people will still nitpick every little thing that it doesn't do perfectly. If Chrono Trigger came out now, people would be complaining that it reuses assets heavily, the game's too easy, and there's too much downtime in combat.

Yes, gaming can be an expensive hobby depending on the experience you want, and yes, the prices aren't in line with the cost of living in some countries, but there are cheap options the likes of which the hobby has never seen before.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
If money is tight then gaming is a very expensive hobby. I had to stop buying games at release. Lately I have been focusing on indie games, much easier on the wallet.
At release, yeah. That's what I was getting at before. Keeping up with current releases is exorbitantly expensive. The more breathing room you give yourself, the better off you are. Sometimes that means you have to stick to older content or indies that are just trying to scrape by in the market. If money is tight, is the zeitgeist important?

I guess some of the struggle is trying to consider gaming "expensive" when there are opportunities to get a lot of bang for your buck. When all I had to play PC games was a low-mid grade laptop, I got Dark Souls 2 for $10 and put 170 hours into it playing at 45fps with middling graphics settings. That's still a pretty decent return, no?

And, I'm not trying to write off people that can't afford a laptop in the first place. I'm just saying, at this point there are accessible options if you merely want to participate, and some of the offerings give you a ton of mileage. Kind of like with music (as brought up in this thread) you just have to find a point of access that's cost effective.

Gaming is a luxury hobby, but we're at a point where groceries are more expensive than ever, and going out to social events for a single night can cost more than any video game. A movie that gives you two hours of entertainment costs more than potentially tens of hours of gaming goodness. In terms of return on investment, video games are in a prime spot unless you need to play the latest and greatest with the best hardware.

As for the OP, $40 might be a lot on a budget but we're talking about a game that you can potentially play forever. The ROI is very good, there. And, considering your friend is able to impulse buy other games with potentially less ROI I think it's just a matter of perspective. For some folks, a dollar amount is all that matters, rather than the potential longevity of the product.

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Gaming is only expensive if you insist on playing the latest stuff. It's so absurdly easy to game on a budget via humble bundle, deku deals, etc.
I guess if you do sales and used games. New games these days cost $80+.

I wish I was at a place to call that "cheap".
So... then buy the games on sale? You're ignoring reality if you're saying every game straight up costs 80. The big fancy quad A games are gonna be expensive because they're expensive as hell to make, but even then they often go on sale unless Nintendo made them.

RaphaBE

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
California
I don't understand why we have to walk on eggshells whenever this topic comes up. It's obvious that anything can be expensive when you do not have sufficient income to afford it, and the majority of hobbies would be considered expensive in that context. It doesn't change the fact that on a relative scale, in terms of how many hours of enjoyment gaming can bring, it is not an expensive hobby.

Being able or not being able to afford a specific hobby isn't a reflection of your character, and stating that a hobby is relatively cheap isn't an attack on those who cannot afford it either. And I haven't seen anyone being disrespectful about it (e.g. "haha you can't even afford a game, what are you, poor?") so I don't understand why people are being so defensive.

And to get technical, gaming comes in many forms and can be achieved on a wide range of budgets. Nobody is saying that playing the latest $70 titles on a 4K TV with a 4090 GPU is cheap, but that would be equivalent to listening to music on a high-end setup and/or attending concerts (for those saying that music is free). Apples to oranges and all that.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This thread has been a read.

OP has a friend, seemingly with money, who doesn't want to buy Helldivers 2 because it's too expensive.

OP decides to take that situation and make a broad statement that gaming isn't expensive while criticising what the friend does spend their money on.

Era starts exploding with explanations of what is and isn't expensive.

In the current state of the world, with so many countries experiencing cost of living crises, if you're rolling in and saying something to the effect of 'gaming isn't expemsive' then you're wildly out of touch. It's bordering on offensive, because the implications is that it isn't expensive, you're just too poor to engage with it.

What is 'expensive' is relative to the money people have. Making a general statement on the hobby is ridiculous.

That said, this thread could have been framed on 'gaming doesn't have to be as expensive as it has been in the past', highlighting the varied ways people can now engage in the hobby. F2P games, subscription services, cloud gaming etc.

In many ways the barrier to entry has been lowered. That does not mean the hobby isn't expensive, it's a luxury that many people simply can't afford, but but there are at least more varied routes to engage with hobby in some way.

That isn't what OP set out, or what most people are saying.

If anything, OP criticising his friend's spending then making a general statement like this should be embarrassed, and other posters coming in backing up the flagrant statement should show a bit of empathy and perspective.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's usually not crazy expensive, especially if you try and look at it as hours of value vs cost.

The thing is that the costs are often times relatively high and it's quite impossible to gauge if you are actually going to enjoy your time with it. Like, I will debate getting a 60-70 game for fucking ever because there is a serious chance that I will not enjoy it. Even if it's a direct sequel to a game I love. Going to dinner for 60 is at the very least pretty much a guaranteed decent time. You'll have fun, eat some decent food and you are out of there in a hour or two. With a game you just don't know, and it might take you like 50 hours before you really find out, lol.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's as expensive as you make it

Waiting for a month or two can drastically reduce the price of games. As can gamesharing with friends and family.

Feb 16, 2022

A lot of people are poor; that's unfortunately for them a complete different problem, but people here are mixing it up.

If you don't have 40$ at the end of month for a game which you can play for hundreds of hours, it's not the hobby the problem, it's your economic situation.
So... for people who are poor, gaming IS an expensive hobby, then.

The flaw in this whole debate is thinking "expensive" is an objective, factual thing. It's not.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
If you truly wanna see expensive hobbies, get kids and let them start team sports as example.

scatrapper

Nov 25, 2021
I sort of agree. I'm not a 'day one buyer' and if i do, it's two games per year at maximum. All my other games I buy discounted or try to play with my discounted sony extra subscription (too many games! I don't play any of them!)

Let's say you enjoy surfing or wintersport. Just the holiday alone sets you back a 1000 per year. But it's not just the holiday, it's the wetsuit, the board(s), the ski jacket, etc.

But compared to watching movies as a hobby, which is more comparable because both are home entertainment, it's a bit more expensive.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

yep; especially if you put it against "hours of entertainment". That said, it's a "hobby" for most; and a bunch of drinks/dinner out of the house will easily rank up to a 'full game'; but most people have little issue spending that money on social activities. I mean, if I just look at myself, I easily spend up to 1500/2000 euros/dollars a year on festivals and concerts.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's all relative. I would usually sell my old consoles with a bunch of games to pay for the new ones. Many of the people that bought them wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise and they had no problem being a generation behind. It's not especially cheap if you want to be current with everything. However I think consoles have longer legs these days. The typical 5 year console cycle has stretched to probably 8 years before you can see support dry up, so at least you dont need to buy the boxes as frequently and you can usually find great deals on software after a year. There are still PS4 games being made.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
My main things are.

The big AAA games on the SNES were $60-$80 which is similar to what they are now, but with inflation taken into account, games are drastically cheaper.
There are freemium games & free games now which weren't really a thing back then, other than say Microsoft Solitaire & Minesweeper.
On any day of the week, you can find thousands of high-quality games on the digital stores for dirt-cheap (both naturally dirt-cheap indie games, and extremely discounted high-budget games).
The average length of games is drastically higher now. Something like Persona 5 or Elden Ring would have been unheard of. Single-player games that you could play indefinitely were largely unheard of, outside the occasional exception like Nethack. Buying an expensive new game and finishing it in under 10 hours was a real worry back on the NES & SNES.
There are subscription services that give you access to hundreds of games for a small fee each month.
For a period of time, there was the whole Mini Console fad. If you had told me that at some point, you could pay $80 USD and get a bundle of many of the best SNES games ever made along with some hardware to play them on, I wouldn't have believed you.

2) The cheap and free gaming options are the most popular games in the world.

When most of the world thinks videogames, they think Minecraft, Fortnight, Genshin Impact, LoL, Pokemon Go, Rocket League, Among Us, Candy Crush, Phasmophobia, Stardew Valley, and the like. Treating those experiences like they're inferior is ridiculous. Treating mobile gaming like it isn't real gaming when that's the kind of games most of the world wants is seriously out of touch.

3) Competition is insane now.

Making a Metroidvania? It had better be as good as Hollow Knight, 20+ hours long, and heaven help you if you want to charge more than $15.
Making a Diablo-like? You're up against Path of Exile, a freemium game that has had over a decade's worth of updates and content expansions.
Making a AAA game? Your game could have a 90%+ Metacritic, provide over a hundred hours of content, and people will still nitpick every little thing that it doesn't do perfectly. If Chrono Trigger came out now, people would be complaining that it reuses assets heavily, the game's too easy, and there's too much downtime in combat.

Yes, gaming can be an expensive hobby depending on the experience you want, and yes, the prices aren't in line with the cost of living in some countries, but there are cheap options the likes of which the hobby has never seen before.

I wanted to create a similar post but I didn't have the energy to do so, thank you for that lol.

I agree with everything you said. It is not an easy question someone can just answer yes or no to, and the variables involved creates a hobby, like you said, never seen before, and said question touches everything related to gaming.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Everything is relative. Years ago I was more open to paying for games at a higher price point. I have a decent PC and a PS5 but very few games outside of the games which really pique my interest or smaller cheaper games. As a father of 2 young boys The one thing I never compromise on is food... As long as you finish what you buy. I am the same with games. I will buy if I know I will sink time or finish it.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Learning to recognize polite rejections is a valuable skill.

On the larger topic, there's basically no floor or ceiling to the cost of gaming. The starting point is a smart phone, which can't even be considered an expense in most cases, and the top end is all state of the art hardware and multiple $70+ games per month, or even per week (not to even mention the money pit GaaS can be).

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

If you don't have 40$ at the end of month for a game which you can play for hundreds of hours, it's not the hobby the problem, it's your economic situation.

(Of course it's sad and it's a reality for billions of people around the world. But the OP is still right.).

Erm what kind of mathematics is this? It's not expensive if you have money? And it's still not expensive if you don't have money, you just don't have money?

What?

Oct 27, 2017
'Expensive' is relative. Compared to other media hobbies, it's on the higher side. Reading, music, and movies all have low cost (or even free) options that get you access to a lot of what that hobby has to offer. Gaming has more costs, especially if you want access to certain experiences.

Compared to other hobbies, especially ones that require materials that get used up or equipment that gets worn out, it's actually pretty cheap. Sports, art, crafts, etc can add up very quickly

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Agree to disagree. I've been to some nice theatre rooms. Thats not even factoring things like IMAX.

Moreover, why even mention Netflix and streaming when their 4k quality is not up to snuff? I don't get it.

But I'm glad you can enjoy it.
Because for most movies, the reduced bitrate of streaming services is not a significant factor for our enjoyment. For movies where I do care about, I get the UHD Blu-ray disc version.

In Canada, some SNES games were as expensive as $120 (Street Fighter 2 was if I recall).

The difference back then was that we simply couldn't buy many games (two or three per year) but we rented them often for the weekends. Today there is no rental market, but plenty of games are less than $20 or free to play. So my kids (and myself) end up with significantly more games available to play, but don't necessarily spend as much time with any single game.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
No kidding. I'm almost paying the price of a new PS5 every month for my daughters cheerleading and even that gets dwarfed by a friends monthly hockey expense for their son.

Yup. Here in Finland gymnast/cheerleading/ice-hockey costs something like 200-300€ month. And if you are teenager, you can double that easily. Figureskating is another sport that is super expensive

Then start adding all the gear/clothes you need, different trips/camps etc. Hockey gear specially is expensive as fuck.

This is for higher end though! There are cheaper alternatives, but it is still gonna be really expensive. And from my understanding hockey is much much much more expensive in US and Canada.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's way too reductive to say it's not an expensive hobby. I would say a better way to phrase it is "gaming can be an expensive hobby, but also can be very affordable" which is true. So much stuff goes on sale on Steam and through Humble / Fanatical bundles. I've gotten some great stuff that way for cheap. If you keep a look out for refurbished / used Steam Decks, you can get a great handheld that you can also play on a TV for ~$300 along with access to a huge storefront of games that have amazing sales. Granted, $300 is still a lot of money to many folks, so that can be considered expensive, sure. That's kinda where it gets into a gray area of what "expensive" means to each individual person.

However, if you want to play the latest games at high settings, you'll be shelling out a pretty penny for that.

There's also subscription services like GeForce Now, Game Pass, and PS+ that can give you a library of games. And that's not even talking about a lot of the cool indie games that you can "pay what you want" for on itch.io.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This is like people saying that sports are an expensive thing for children to do when where I'm from you could have your kid play with a random ball made of garbo playing in an unsued lot and the whole cost would be clothes on the back of the kid because in the US you have to buy literal military grade armor for your kid to even think of starting playing US football.

If you game on mobile or pc and you don't factor the price of the smartphone/computer, yeah it can be cheap.
If you game on console, the price of the console alone makes the proposition already rather expensive.
Then you have to factor the subscription that are near mandatory these days.

Overall I'd say it's gotten cheaper but they will nickle and dime you for all your worth if you let the industry to its own device.

Harmen

Aug 30, 2023
I think that if someone has good self-control (I don't...) and does not need to play the latest games, gaming in most Western countries is very financially accessible and is moreso than in the 90s to 00s. A cheap PC with integrated graphics and a steam sale or some humble/Itch/io bundles could last you years. And a Series S or something like the Evercade is much more value than the platforms I had when I was a kid, for sure. I had to entertain myself for months with a single gameboy or N64 (and went to friend to play others). And then there are the many free to play titles, such as Fortnite.

Adjusted for inflation most games are actually significantly cheaper. Something like Banjo Tooie cost me 130 gulden in my (Dutch) currency when it launched back in the day, which translates to 100 euros now. I just looked it up, I was too young but in the early 90s I can find adverts of NES and SNES titles for 120 gulden as well (which would be like 120 euros now).

I think the bigger challenges is that many people are prone to spending on micro transactions, having too many subscriptions, pre-ordering and generating backlogs too much. And then there is offcourse the massive hike in cost of living that just puts financial pressure across the board.

For me, gaming is probably my cheapest hobby, except for my occasional period of reading books.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
'Expensive' is relative. Compared to other media hobbies, it's on the higher side. Reading, music, and movies all have low cost (or even free) options that get you access to a lot of what that hobby has to offer. Gaming has more costs, especially if you want access to certain experiences.

This seems a bit odd to me. There are plenty of low cost or free options in gaming too and there can be more costs for reading, music, and movies for certain experiences too. Like music has concerts, high end equipment for better fidelity, vinyls, etc. Movies has IMAX and Dolby Cinema theaters for day 1 theatrical releases, 4K UHD physical releases, and the equipment to play those releases to get a higher end experience. Books can be expensive depending on the type of books you want or if you want to use an eReader has an upfront hardware cost. You can easily make those other hobbies to have higher costs just like gaming or you can make the lower costs or even free just like gaming too.

Jera

Sep 19, 2022
I wanted to play Helldivers II and offered my friend to play together. He said 40$ is too expensive. Meanwhile he spent 3 times of Helldivers II's price for food, deserts and coffee at outside. I can understand that PC hardware prices are expensive but if you don't aim playing every game 4K 60FPS RT ON, you can get a decent computer for fair price or get a console. PS5 got launched in 2020 and possibly it will be fine for 3 more years. Games get good sale after some time. Both PS+ and Game Pass have great libraries. Unless it's FOMO buy, I only buy the games I really want to play day 1. Compared to other hobbies, gaming isn't expensive.

Edit: He owns a computer with i9-13900K and RTX4090 plus he has over 2000 Steam games. That was my point lol.

Edit 2: I called him just now and talked about No Rest for the Wicked. He bought it instantly lol
this is a silly take. Especially when any and every game wants to be Games As A Service, and quite literally wants ALL of your available time, and want you to constantly be spending money.

Oct 27, 2017
This seems a bit odd to me. There are plenty of low cost or free options in gaming too and there can be more costs for reading, music, and movies for certain experiences too. Like music has concerts, high end equipment for better fidelity, vinyls, etc. Movies has IMAX and Dolby Cinema theaters for day 1 theatrical releases, 4K UHD physical releases, and the equipment to play those releases to get a higher end experience. Books can be expensive depending on the type of books you want or if you want to use an eReader has an upfront hardware cost. You can easily make those other hobbies to have higher costs just like gaming or you can make the lower costs or even free just like gaming too.
Obviously you can make those hobbies expensive, but that money you're putting in is just to increase fidelity. There are certain games that require a minimum level of hardware to access at all, and that minimum level is slowly increasing over time. There's also online costs for consoles, exclusive games being tied to a particular box, etc. You get much more access to the medium in those other hobbies with a lower cost to entry.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously you can make those hobbies expensive, but that money you're putting in is just to increase fidelity. There are certain games that require a minimum level of hardware to access at all, and that minimum level is slowly increasing over time. There's also online costs for consoles, exclusive games being tied to a particular box, etc. You get much more access to the medium in those other hobbies with a lower cost to entry.

It's not just an increase in fidelity though. Concerts are a completely different type of experience in music, not to mention there's a lot of music that's outside of the mainstream that isn't streamable, theatrical movies on day 1 cost more, movies and TV in general is a select assortment on each streaming service and a lot of things aren't even available to stream, and books have a wide range in cost depending on the type of books you're into. It just seemed odd to me to point out the entry point for all of these while ignoring that same entry point for games.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just an increase in fidelity though. Concerts are a completely different type of experience in music, not to mention there's a lot of music that's outside of the mainstream that isn't streamable, theatrical movies on day 1 cost more, movies and TV in general is a select assortment on each streaming service and a lot of things aren't even available to stream, and books have a wide range in cost depending on the type of books you're into. It just seemed odd to me to point out the entry point for all of these while ignoring that same entry point for games.
Concerts are a bit of a different category, I'm mainly referring to recorded media. And sure, but that's like saying you need to buy day 1 games, which are significantly more expensive than day 1 movies anyway. Non-streamable music doesn't make up a significant part of the medium, and books have public libraries that you can access for completely free in a lot of areas. Spending the same amount that you would on these but on gaming gets you much more limited access to the medium as a whole.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Concerts are a bit of a different category, I'm mainly referring to recorded media.

Concerts is still a way of listening to and appreciating music though. It doesn't even have to be like going to see Taylor Swift, but other styles of music like the symphony or opera.

And sure, but that's like saying you need to buy day 1 games, which are significantly more expensive than day 1 movies anyway.

Movies around here cost about $20 a ticket and costs more if you're taking your family. That also only gets you about 2 hours of entertainment where as games tend to last longer, can be resold and can be shared and even played co-op in many cases. In fact, with GameFly, you can even rent them at release which is actually even cheaper than a movie ticket here.

Non-streamable music doesn't make up a significant part of the medium,

There's a lot of non mainstream music that just isn't streamable. Sure the popular mainstream stuff is widely available, but if you step out of that, that's when it no longer has you covered.

and books have public libraries that you can access for completely free in a lot of areas.

Libraries only have a limited selection of books available to you though and you have to work with what they have available. There's no way it can house the entire history of books in a single library or even in your group of local libraries. But if you want to bring up libraries, they also have games too.

Spending the same amount that you would on these but on gaming gets you much more limited access to the medium as a whole.

There's a lot more to gaming than modern day console gaming. Modern day console gaming is just a small fraction of gaming as a whole. There's a wealth of games out there that's easily accessible at a low cost or even free if you stray outside of the modern day console and the modern day console does not represent gaming as a whole; it just represent what's new and more in the higher end.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Lmao no

60 to 70 for sp games are expensive

People should account for different tastes. "Oh well helldivers is $40" doesn't mean shit if the person in question isn't into multiplayer games!

As some one who grew up in the 80's and 90's... uh, no, 60-70 for a game these days is not expensive at all. That's only 10 -20 dollars more than I was spending *back then* for a game (they were about 50 dollars). the fact that 30 years later games have only gone up about 10-20 dollars amazes me. And it amazes me how many people bitch about how expensive games are these days( I'm just happy they've only gone up that much).

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
I know you're supposed to come into threads and try and engage and discuss the nuances of a certain topic but when you struggling to keep up with all your bills and you really wanna buy a game but you can't and you see a thread title "gaming isn't expensive" my gut reaction is just man fuck this place 😂

I can honestly agree with OP. Most games drop in price relatively quickly. I bought a lot of games at/near launch in the past 16 months. Lies of P, RE4, Hi Fi Rush, Armored Core, Rain Code, Persona 3 Reload, Dragon's Dogma 2, Alan Wake 2, Mario Wonder, Robocop, Slay The Princess,and a bunch of games on sale and all that would struggle to reach 450+. Maybe $500.

Of course if you try every game then yea you'd be screwed but for reference my student loans and heath insurance is $500 a month... I go to a Community Center Gym so it's cheap at $120 a year, but stuff like LA Fitness is like $35-40 a month just for the privilege to tug some weights around. And you have to pay gas to get there. Hell, gas is already like $70 a refill. Sure bills and gas are necessities but I damn sure wouldn't complain if I could get away with 500+ after nearly 2 years.

Then consider Game Pass and companies givin games for free every week and it's like if you know where to look and aren't overtly hampered by FOMO gaming is pretty cheap.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware can be expensive but there are so many cheap and free (legal) ways to play games these days that I generally agree that ita cheaper than ever.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. Gaming can be very affordable, especially compared to many other hobbies out there. Unless you are the type that needs every game day 1, and every hardware out there (or if you feel like you NEED a top of the line gaming PC), gaming can be your main hobby without breaking the bank for sure. I have had a pretty much a lower/middle income my whole life and never had to hold back from gaming purchases too much.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. Hanging out on forums like this or social media all the time exacerbates the FOMO and pressure that you're not "keeping up", but don't sweat it. There is just so much out there to play and enjoy for all incomes, including hardware, from cheap $50 retro devices to 5-figure top-of-the-line PC racing setups and beyond.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
gaming is overall a cheap medium

cheap side
$500 console every 5-7 years
$160-200 a year in games
$100 in subs

expensive side
$4000 gaming pc
$400-700 a year in games
$250 in subs

compared to my other hobbies its by far the most affordable, and I'm not even into extremely expensive stuff like cars. People will say "but retro gaming is really expensive" and my counter will always be that retro any hobby is exponentially more expensive, cars for example - knowing people who buy and refurbish/redo old cars either classics or modern classics from the 90s, they spend my entire 5 year gaming budget on single parts multiple times during their builds.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
You can buy an Xbox Series S for $300, and as low as $225 refurbished at places like Best Buy. Throw in a $10.99 gamepass sub and a free copy of Fortnight and you have access to more games than you could ever play for a grand total of $235.99 plus tax (ongoing subscription aside.)

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
gaming is overall a cheap medium

cheap side
$500 console every 5-7 years
$160-200 a year in games
$100 in subs

expensive side
$4000 gaming pc
$400-700 a year in games
$250 in subs

compared to my other hobbies its by far the most affordable, and I'm not even into extremely expensive stuff like cars. People will say "but retro gaming is really expensive" and my counter will always be that retro any hobby is exponentially more expensive, cars for example - knowing people who buy and refurbish/redo old cars either classics or modern classics from the 90s, they spend my entire 5 year gaming budget on single parts multiple times during their builds.
I'm not sure how you can get up to a $4000 gaming PC these days. Even with a RTX 4090 there's still $2000 left for the PC itself.

For me I would never go past $1500 for a gaming PC though. I personally think that's more than enough for $1200-1500.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Honestly it's so cheap but I guess it comes down to priorities. A movie these days costs half the price of a PS5 game. A night out or single activity with friends can easily be multiple times that. Hell I know people that spend more on cigarettes or alcohol in a few days than the cost of a game (and they spend that much constantly). I've spent like 200$ on gaming this year and I've basically been gaming daily with new games I bought this year that whole time.

And this is all assuming you're buying 70$ Sony games full price. If you're rocking the digital sales or streaming services it's basically chump change. Biggest issue is getting a machine and a screen in the first place but after that you can game for jack all money wise. It's just gaming is comparatively low priority so it's seen as being more costly than it is.