• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Do I install a anti-virus on linux? How do I keep my PC safe?
Absolutely not. It's already unnecesary on Windows (Windows Defender is more than enough), on Linux it makes no sense to get an antivirus because 1- it's safer and 2- no one targets Linux users.

Just try to get all your programs from official repositories whenever possible and that's it

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Antivirus on Linux is mostly unnecessary, but there are times where having something like ClamAV around can help. For example, to check files before sending them out to other machines on the network that run Windows.

It's also technically possible for Windows viruses to infect Linux though WINE, but in practice that shouldn't really be a problem for SteamOS unless you start running a tonne of executables from unknown sources.

90% of people will be fine AV-free.

Last edited:

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Absolutely not. It's already unnecesary on Windows (Windows Defender is more than enough), on Linux it makes no sense to get an antivirus because 1- it's safer and 2- no one targets Linux users.

Just try to get all your programs from official repositories whenever possible and that's it
Ok. Thanks !

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Phoronix has an article or three up:

EDIT:
www.youtube.com

Epic Games Store on the Steam Deck

Yep, it's a thing and it's totally possible to do without using Windows. Here's a guide. #SteamDeck #Proton - https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/02/steam-dec...

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes! All these fresh visual materials today. I'm able to chop out tons of text and replace with screenshots. It was a dumb idea thinking I should get the thread up before we saw the os lol.

This will be much better!

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Any homebrew gurus around here?

I have a fresh Manjaro install, newest version. I am trying to install homebrew on this machine and am unable to, been pulling my hair out about it.
For some reason Ruby refuses to install, I get this error message:
==> Pouring portable-ruby-2.6.8.x86_64_linux.bottle.tar.gz
Error: Failed to install ruby 2.6.8!
Error: Failed to install Homebrew Portable Ruby and cannot find another Ruby 2.6.8!
If there's no Homebrew Portable Ruby available for your processor:
- install Ruby 2.6.8 with your system package manager (or rbenv/ruby-build)
- make it first in your PATH
- try again
I tried installing Ruby via pacman and setting the export PATH=/usr/bin/ruby:$PATH in bash_profile, same error.
Any guidance would be appreciated.