Cien

Oct 25, 2017
inxi -G

might be enough for graphics

Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa
resolution: 3440x1440
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (SIENNA_CICHLID DRM 3.42.0 5.15.23-76051523-generic LLVM 12.0.1)
v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.2

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa
resolution: 3440x1440
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (SIENNA_CICHLID DRM 3.42.0 5.15.23-76051523-generic LLVM 12.0.1)
v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.2
yep, outdated mesa (21.2.2) is probably the reason... sorry

edit: "RADV_DEBUG=llvm %command%" (see screenshot in my previous post) as launch option might make it run at a performance cost with old mesa version
edit2: for new mesa use this ppa https://launchpad.net/~kisak/+archive/ubuntu/kisak-mesa

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
And even adding the PPA, I did apt update and it refuses to show the updated Mesa driver. I am using the kisak PPA that was recommended, even though that one is behind too, but it's at least newer than what I have.

This is a pain in the ass just to update a driver.

I'll try the llvm command

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
And even adding the PPA, I did apt update and it refuses to show the updated Mesa driver. I am using the kisak PPA that was recommended, even though that one is behind too, but it's at least newer than what I have.

This is a pain in the ass just to update a driver.

I'll try the llvm command
adding the ppa and doing apt update doesn't install it you need to upgrade too

sudo apt upgrade

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Going to sound crazy, but going by some other ProtonDB reports similar to yours:
1) which versions of Proton did you try? most recent Proton-GE?
2) Do you have the vulkan-radeon packages installed or are you using just the amdvlk ones?

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Going to sound crazy, but going by some other ProtonDB reports similar to yours:
1) which versions of Proton did you try? most recent Proton-GE?
2) Do you have the vulkan-radeon packages installed or are you using just the amdvlk ones?

I tried Proton GE, Proton Experimental, Proton 6.3.8, and Proton 7.0

I'm not sure but prob the amdvlk ones, as I can't get Mesa to install/upgrade.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Cien I found this on google: https://www.reddit.com/r/pop_os/com...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

unknown.png

seems like you need to change the prio of the ppa

(I'm not a Ubuntu/Pop_OS user...)

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Just get an error when trying that, even with sudo. About to just throw in the towel
Sorry, I should be clearer (forgot you are new to all this).

You open this file with a text editor.

Example (in a terminal):

sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences.d/kisak-pin-2000

Then you type/paste:

Package: *
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-kisak-kisak-mesa
Pin-Priority: 2000

and press: ctrl-x enter to save and exit.

Then try: "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade" again.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone add to this list of applications that many new users may want to know about? Alternatives to popular windows-only things and the like. Preferably available via flathub.

OBS streaming
Openshot
Kden Live
Blender
The Gimp
Krita
Godot
Unity
VLC Media Player
Audacity

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Can anyone add to this list of applications that many new users may want to know about? Alternatives to popular windows-only things and the like. Preferably available via flathub.

OBS streaming
Openshot
Kden Live
Blender
The Gimp
Krita
Godot
Unity
VLC Media Player
Audacity
Libreoffice
Discord
Zoom
Slack (you never know)

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
One of my favorite things about Steam Deck coming out and by extension SteamOS 3, is that when something is broken elsewhere, someone could look at how it's launched on SteamDeck with what drivers to work out how to fix it elsewhere.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Just get an error when trying that, even with sudo. About to just throw in the towel

Sorry, I should be clearer (forgot you are new to all this).

You open this file with a text editor.

Example (in a terminal):

sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences.d/kisak-pin-2000

Then you type/paste:

Package: *
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-kisak-kisak-mesa
Pin-Priority: 2000

and press: ctrl-x enter to save and exit.

Then try: "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade" again.

And thats the crazy part, I'm not entirely new to linux (I actually have it on my work laptop) but definitely gaming. But this also makes me realize how much I still have to learn.

Anyway Mesa is updating, Lets see how it goes.

And thank you for not being a snarky asshat and just responding with "lol git gud" as I have come across so many times before.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
And thats the crazy part, I'm not entirely new to linux (I actually have it on my work laptop) but definitely gaming. But this also makes me realize how much I still have to learn.

Anyway Mesa is updating, Lets see how it goes.

And thank you for not being a snarky asshat and just responding with "lol git gud" as I have come across so many times before.
All good! If you are using updated mesa, you should be able to remove the launch option (RADV_DEBUG=llvm %command%).

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
All good! If you are using updated mesa, you should be able to remove the launch option (RADV_DEBUG=llvm %command%).

That seems to have done it. Work laptop is Ubuntu, and I never recalled having to set priority on PPAs. Is that purely a Pop_OS thing? Something I'll have to keep in mind on my other machine if i switch it over.

Onward with the Linux journey.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
That seems to have done it. Work laptop is Ubuntu, and I never recalled having to set priority on PPAs. Is that purely a Pop_OS thing? Something I'll have to keep in mind on my other machine if i switch it over.

Onward with the Linux journey.
Good question, I would think it would be similar on Ubuntu, after all Pop_OS is at core still Ubuntu.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Good question, I would think it would be similar on Ubuntu, after all Pop_OS is at core still Ubuntu.

Yep seems to be a Pop_OS thing. I just looked on my laptop. by default Ubuntu sets it's default ppa at 500. Pop_OS sets it at 1001. Looks like Pop wants to stay the default no matter what is added. That is a pain in the ass.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, System76 is all about providing a "curated" Linux experience. For better or for worse.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, System76 is all about providing a "curated" Linux experience. For better or for worse.

So it seems LOL. So far I haven't minded a lot of their choices with it, but that was beginning to piss me the hell off.

So now one other question. And I have seen a billion arguments for it.

Flatpak, appimage or distro package files?

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use flatpak/appimage/etc, but I'm on Arch and everything is very easily available. Maybe it makes more sense on Ubuntu based distros.

Appimage I used once and it worked just fine.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use flatpak/appimage/etc, but I'm on Arch and everything is very easily available. Maybe it makes more sense on Ubuntu based distros.

Appimage I used once and it worked just fine.

Cool. Now to find out why it compiles shaders every launch. And to get controller working.

I've heard mixed success about Xbox Series controller working via Bluetooth.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Now to find out why it compiles shaders every launch. And to get controller working.

I've heard mixed success about Xbox Series controller working via Bluetooth.
Enable shader pre-caching and allow background processing of vulkan shaders if you didn't.

unknown.png

Normally the shader stuff on MH Rise should only run once (it will run again if you update your GPU driver).

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, today I learned you can have priority levels set for PPAs... I had always just assumed it would be "newest added takes priority" in event of conflict. oops! Though thankfully don't deal with apt any longer thanks to Nixos.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Well, today I learned you can have priority levels set for PPAs... I had always just assumed it would be "newest added takes priority" in event of conflict. oops! Though thankfully don't deal with apt any longer thanks to Nixos.

Right?! LOL. Let my pain be a learning opportunity for everyone.

Also do Bluetooth controllers work out of the box. Can't get Steam to recognize either the DualSense or Xbox controller. And i read kernel 5.12 was supposed to have native support.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017

Also do Bluetooth controllers work out of the box. Can't get Steam to recognize either the DualSense or Xbox controller. And i read kernel 5.12 was supposed to have native support.
In my case (DS4, works out of the box) I paired it with Linux first (bluetooth) and then it was available in steam.

Maybe have a look at this (not Ubuntu/Pop_OS), but similar should apply: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Gamepad

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

My DS5 works flawless with bluetooth. My Switch Pro connects and works for a few minutes, then disconnects.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Weird.

I use gamepad-tester and it recognizes the controller. Steam Big Picture mode it works. But if i launch a game outside of BPM, even with Steam input on, games will not recognize input.

Bah. This is frustrating, but kinda fun.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
The dark souls of operating systems.

That's definitely how it feels. I really don't want to go back to Windows if I can help it. And i really hope gaming on Linux does not end up being death by a thousand cuts.

It's just frustrating as hell when I'm beating my head against the wall and everyone else is like "works fine for me" and all I can think of what the hell am I doing wrong.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Well, switching aaway from Proton-Experimental fixed the constant shader compilation at launch.

Still can't get controller to work with steam. Controller-tester still sees both controllers over bluetooth. Tried all variations of Steam input on/off. PS5/XBox support on/off. Nothing works.

Any ideas?

Oct 25, 2017
Well, switching aaway from Proton-Experimental fixed the constant shader compilation at launch.

Still can't get controller to work with steam. Controller-tester still sees both controllers over bluetooth. Tried all variations of Steam input on/off. PS5/XBox support on/off. Nothing works.

Any ideas?

Did you try with Steam Input on and the "Use the Big Picture Overlay when using a Steam Input enabled controller..." option turned on? (it's under the "In-Game" tab in settings).

nded

Nov 14, 2017

Any ideas?
Try installing 'steam-devices' via terminal and rebooting.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try with Steam Input on and the "Use the Big Picture Overlay when using a Steam Input enabled controller..." option turned on? (it's under the "In-Game" tab in settings).

Try installing 'steam-devices' via terminal and rebooting.

Thank you!

Between the two of these it seems to be working. I had not rebooted my machine after installing steam, And I did not have "use big picture overlay" option checked, but i did have steam input checked.

One last thing, to find out why the RE engine movie goes absolutely nuts (it just shows colored bars on the screen) and why the game says "preparing for first time launch" on steam and "compiling shaders" on every launch.

I really hope Steam deck doesn't give this much trouble for people. Some of this stuff will put someone off fast as hell if they're just trying to play games.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Thank you!

Between the two of these it seems to be working. I had not rebooted my machine after installing steam, And I did not have "use big picture overlay" option checked, but i did have steam input checked.

One last thing, to find out why the RE engine movie goes absolutely nuts (it just shows colored bars on the screen) and why the game says "preparing for first time launch" on steam and "compiling shaders" on every launch.

I really hope Steam deck doesn't give this much trouble for people. Some of this stuff will put someone off fast as hell if they're just trying to play games.
Which RE Engine game are you referring to? The test pattern sounds like a certain longstanding video codec issue.

I imagine the Steam Deck will come preconfigured to avoid most of these headaches. Outside of SteamOS itself, Ubuntu is what Valve seems to recommend for running games. Pop!OS is an Ubuntu derivative, but it's purposefully a bit more locked down which can work against you when dealing with the rapid developments in Linux gaming.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Which RE Engine game are you referring to? The test pattern sounds like a certain longstanding video codec issue.

I imagine the Steam Deck will come preconfigured to avoid most of these headaches. Outside of SteamOS itself, Ubuntu is what Valve seems to recommend for running games. Pop!OS is an Ubuntu derivative, but it's purposefully a bit more locked down which can work against you when dealing with the rapid developments in Linux gaming.

Yea, it is definitely a test pattern. Right now the only game I have been really testing is Monster Hunter Rise.

I might give Ubuntu a shot (Work laptop is Ubuntu 19.04) but i kept hearing of all sorts of issues with 21.10 and was recommended PopOS instead.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
So it seems LOL. So far I haven't minded a lot of their choices with it, but that was beginning to piss me the hell off.

So now one other question. And I have seen a billion arguments for it.

Flatpak, appimage or distro package files?
Flatpak all the way now. Sometimes problems crop up, but for the most part it keeps everything outside of the root user.

I only have a small handful of desktop apps now that are installed as system.

Appimage is probably a really good way to go for servers in the future as it's still containerized, and one should be able to run a server as a non-root users and just have the root user pass through via iptables rules or similar.

I'm looking forward to when we no longer really have to elevate permissions to manage most things.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Farming OT help: Can someone explain to me what the nature of the video codec compatibility problem is and where it's going? I'm afraid I might not fully understand it. I know that the codecs needed can't be distriputed outside of windows? Is that even correct? How far along is valve's video reencoding solution?

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Farming OT help: Can someone explain to me what the nature of the video codec compatibility problem is and where it's going? I'm afraid I might not fully understand it. I know that the codecs needed can't be distriputed outside of windows? Is that even correct? How far along is valve's video reencoding solution?
In general terms it's using proprietary Windows Media Framework codecs for video files. They've been re-encoding them from different games but I'm honestly not sure we have an "actual" way to know how far along they ever are with it. If a game has them and they're not supported yet they just give a test pattern in their place until the videos can be converted. There are some edge cases like Neptunia U where the videos are in some funky format that just doesn't work regardless, though.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
In general terms it's using proprietary Windows Media Framework codecs for video files. They've been re-encoding them from different games but I'm honestly not sure we have an "actual" way to know how far along they ever are with it. If a game has them and they're not supported yet they just give a test pattern in their place until the videos can be converted. There are some edge cases like Neptunia U where the videos are in some funky format that just doesn't work regardless, though.

Funny enough, the RE Logo actually worked (although it stuttered like hell) before I updated my mesa drivers. Of course the in game graphics were all messed up. But when I updated Mesa, thats when the test pattern showed up.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Funny enough, the RE Logo actually worked (although it stuttered like hell) before I updated my mesa drivers. Of course the in game graphics were all messed up. But when I updated Mesa, thats when the test pattern showed up.
The other piece of this is that Proton-GE includes the mfplat stuff that Valve doesn't want to distribute, so you'll get fewer test patterns using it, if any.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
You might also want to mention that Proton GE can get around some of these codec legal issues, and directions on how to install it/enable it for individual games.