• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
My main issue is the Dashboard popping up and killing Beat Saber, and locking the PC. Feels weird to have the dashboard button disabled

Do you mean the steam overlay? I'm actually had that break several Linux native games. As well as times square it was acting up for a bit and took a minute to straighten out.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Progress_Proton_March_2019.png

Source: https://boilingsteam.com/proton-one-graph-to-sum-it-all/

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Confirmed and elaborated on a workaround for Fight'N Rage that I saw on ProtonDB.
RDzRNHU.png
If it's the only other Gold mention in there that one is mine. I forgot to mention having to click the mouse into the window, but it works perfectly this way. I was very happy when it started showing the bootup sequence.

I'm kind of wondering if maybe there should be a "cleanup" for ProtonDB to check games that have been trending upward and maybe archive the older entries that use much older versions of Proton that are listed as borked. There should be a point where it crosses that it automatically does this so we can get a cleaner database.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
The LTT video was just about perfect, especially in comparison to the last one. I understand why they didn't go into Solus since there aren't a lot of options for installing software that isn't in the repos, despite everything else being pretty excellent for gamers. The AUR and PPAs are common and reliable ways to handle this situation, so I appreciate the choices Anthony made.

The only real criticism I have is that they didn't show any of the modern AAA games with Platinum ratings actually being played. Knowing you can venture out of Steam with Lutris is cool, but there are much more impressive games to show off. They mentioned Feral's work and how many AAA games run on Linux now, but nothing was played in the video or mentioned by name aside from Starcraft II. So a small missed opportunity there, but overall that was great and I hope it gets a lot of views until the next big improvement comes around. I'd gladly show that video to anyone curious about Linux gaming.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's a good point. It would have been better if they showed how smoothly some of the latest stuff runs.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I blew away SteamOS and threw Manjaro Cinnamon on my Alienware console. Now trying to script together some quality of life improvements for my setup.

Coming from Debian, meandering around the lair of my Arch enemy.

iw4YuOi.gif[IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Manjaro!

The only real criticism I have is that they didn't show any of the modern AAA games with Platinum ratings actually being played. Knowing you can venture out of Steam with Lutris is cool, but there are much more impressive games to show off. They mentioned Feral's work and how many AAA games run on Linux now, but nothing was played in the video or mentioned by name aside from Starcraft II. So a small missed opportunity there, but overall that was great and I hope it gets a lot of views until the next big improvement comes around. I'd gladly show that video to anyone curious about Linux gaming.

I agree with this, but honestly that video is probably the best Linux gaming representation we've ever had from a mainstream Youtuber, so I cannot complain too much.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is PopOS worth trying for gaming if I had massive Ubuntu 18.04 driver issues?
PopOS is based on Ubuntu, and the last time I checked, 18.04. It contains some newer software out the box but your driver problems were possibly caused by using an older kernel that something on your system (probably GPU) doesn't work with. I don't think PopOS would fix that.

I don't remember exactly what you had happen, but if you have problems try booting with the nomodeset command and then update the kernel.

You know what, I normally recommend against Manjaro for a first timer, but in your case I would say go for it. It ships with everything relatively updated, and the last ISO refresh was only a couple months ago. Most of my fears with Manjaro are more down to beginner mistakes with system maintenance than anything else, the initial setup is the easiest I've ever seen on Linux.

Last edited:

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it even worth trying to use something like Puppy or Linux Lite if I'm trying to keep the overall foot print outside of gaming to a minimum? Or would the headaches likely not be worth the overall impact they would make?

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
I would honestly just install Openbox on the distro you like to keep overhead down. The difference between that and a hyper lightweight distro should be negligible, and you would be more comfortable making additional optimizations in a distro you're familiar with. Besides, some of those lightweight distros don't have the kinds of optimizations for X86_64 that you would see in something like Solus, so they may actually underperform in some cases on modern hardware.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Is it even worth trying to use something like Puppy or Linux Lite if I'm trying to keep the overall foot print outside of gaming to a minimum? Or would the headaches likely not be worth the overall impact they would make?
If you want a functioning desktop but maximize the room you have for games, I'd go against Puppy or Lite since their focus is strictly on staying small and it may not be for everyone to be quite that minimalist. Most distros that let you pick a particular DE from the get-go will be a few GB, but it's easy to bloat that by trying out other DEs and forgetting to remove them (like I do >_>).

How small are we trying to keep this? Last time I installed an Arch system with my usual inclusions for KDE Plasma, libreoffice, etc it came out to around 11GB, but I install a whole lot of things for various reasons. Manjaro would probably be about that size, but I've honestly only done that installation once a while ago to test it out.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Remember, a couple has for having problems with xubuntu because of the composite or it came with.the problems were dramatic with framerate and tearing. You'll know it when you see it. I guess this can be fixed by installing a different compositor. I just switched to kde and all was fine.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Use 'Run Program' from the main menu, write compton, and click run. Compton should have shadows by default, which you wouldn't see without a compositor. You should also see less tearing in videos or your web browser while smooth scrolling as a quick test. You'll want to make sure you disable Xfce's built-in compositor first, of course, in the compositor section of window manager tweaks in Xfce's settings.

the botanist

Jun 18, 2018
Don't use Xfce's built-in compositor. If you want compositing there, just go with Compton, it's rock solid.

I have to disagree. Had tons of problems with compton (amdgpu driver). Although there are a lot of settings to tweak for compton I never managed to make it work as good as kwin or mutter.

Problems included:
- stuttering (at desktop !)
- frametearing, also at desktop

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
So, I used Compton last night. I didn't have any major issues with it, but when ever I moved a window it began to behave erratically. It continued to move around in circles. I still noticed screen tearing while playing Guild Wars 2.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Turns out even PopOS is too much for me to install alone, although I think my mate could help me sort it out later. I think it's mostly an issue of attempting to dual-boot without accidentally deleting anything important.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Do you have a second hard drive you can install it on?

Don't think I have an spares around, or even space left to fit another. I kept trying to divide the current ones into empty partitions to install the OS, but that only covered the root partition, whereas it also wanted a boot and swap one selected to erase and install.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Don't think I have an spares around, or even space left to fit another. I kept trying to divide the current ones into empty partitions to install the OS, but that only covered the root partition, whereas it also wanted a boot and swap one selected to erase and install.
I have ran into this issue before, and it was because I formatted the hdd incorrectly. It can be a pain in the ass. I don't remember how I corrected the issue. But I believe I allowed Xubuntu just go ahead and format the entire drive once I backed up the information I wanted to keep.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I have ran into this issue before, and it was because I formatted the hdd incorrectly. It can be a pain in the ass. I don't remember how I corrected the issue. But I believe I allowed Xubuntu just go ahead and format the entire drive once I backed up the information I wanted to keep.

I might try to see if my pc can take another drive and if not, maybe just unplug one and replace it temporarily so I can install PopOS and play around for it.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
I have to disagree. Had tons of problems with compton (amdgpu driver). Although there are a lot of settings to tweak for compton I never managed to make it work as good as kwin or mutter.

Problems included:
- stuttering (at desktop !)
- frametearing, also at desktop
I'm on AMDGPU on Polaris, I've never had any of those issues, although I would recommend KWin if you feel comfortable with it (feels like overkill in this scenario, especially since you would need to get matching window decorations).

Mutter has a lot of issues on various GPUs, including hilariously bad stuttering on some Polaris cards, so I would not recommend it despite loving GNOME's UX design. I was involved with GNOME's design team for a while, myself, so I'm not saying this out of some anti-GNOME bias, the same issue occurs with every libmutter-based WM. Considering the feedback I'm seeing in this thread, it seems like KWin is the only consistently reliable compositor at the moment.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I strongly prefer dedicated drive for each OS install. Those little USB three drives they have now are so handy.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on AMDGPU on Polaris, I've never had any of those issues, although I would recommend KWin if you feel comfortable with it (feels like overkill in this scenario, especially since you would need to get matching window decorations).

Mutter has a lot of issues on various GPUs, including hilariously bad stuttering on some Polaris cards, so I would not recommend it despite loving GNOME's UX design. I was involved with GNOME's design team for a while, myself, so I'm not saying this out of some anti-GNOME bias, the same issue occurs with every libmutter-based WM. Considering the feedback I'm seeing in this thread, it seems like KWin is the only consistently reliable compositor at the moment.

Hm, that's weird. I've been running GNOME on a 580 (which is practically the same as a 480 which is the card mentioned in that bug) for a long time without any problems.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is part of the reason this bug has been largely ignored, but it keeps coming up on the Mesa IRC channels and it's getting slightly annoying that Mutter devs just keep referring people to Mesa like it's their problem when they've been asking GNOME for help with debugging. It's a big mess, and the recent performance advancements in GNOME Shell and Mutter have caused people to disregard this issue even more readily within the project. That's been a big problem with many other areas since GNOME 3's debut, there has been so much irrelevant and vitriolic criticism of the project that many of these legitimate concerns are ignored, especially when they sound similar to less legitimate concerns. The cross-desktop compatibility stuff has suffered a great deal from this attitude, for instance.

But yes, now we're getting side-tracked. Suffice it say you should experiment and see what works for you, but KWin seems pretty safe if you're not sure about the alternatives.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just grabbed my home folder and installed kde (kubuntu). This is a game machine in the living room so there isn't really a lot on there besides steam games and browsers. It's very easy for me to just blow it up and try another distro. But that's what I did and it was smooth sailing. Kubuntu takes longer to start up and settle down than xubuntu, but I think it's worth it because the whole thing is very polished and plush.

Anyway that's how I fixed my compositor problem. I'm not a very strong technical user, so when I run into a snag and a guide I can end up wasting hours. Well, maybe not wasting, because I always learn something. But you know what I mean.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've looked at Albion like a hundred times. Might be fun to jump on and say hi to some random people. You know I've never really played an MMO before. I don't even know if you say hi to people. If that's normal.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I've looked at Albion like a hundred times. Might be fun to jump on and say hi to some random people. You know I've never really played an MMO before. I don't even know if you say hi to people. If that's normal.
Yes, of course it is normal!
Edit: I've wanted to get back into GW2, and I am getting decent frame rate only on low.
So, I installed win 10 just to check it out. BTW, Win 10 is a nightmare. I couldnt believe how slow it was to update and all the bloatware. I am contemplating deleting it again. But I was getting around 120 fps on highest setting just walking around compared to running it through lutris.

Last edited:

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Manjaro was fucking with my bluetooth connected controller (long story short it would destroy the FPS performances in Sekiro, I posted into proton's github issue but even with help I couldn't narrow what was exactly causing that) so I switched to Solus and the bug disappeared but then I realised that I missed Arch too much.

So I'm now installing Antergos, I'll just delay the updates myself instead of relying on Manjaro (which still is the best distro, but because of my bug I'm constrained to leave it).

Thankfully my home partition is staying with me along the way so I don't have to reconfigure/redownload games every time lol. :P

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I just can't win trying to game on Linux. I disconnected every hard drive and installed PopOS on it, and everything seemed to work fine with that setup. Then after plugging all the other hard drives back in and still booting from the new drive, it launches into an endless black screen on boot.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Manjaro was fucking with my bluetooth connected controller (long story short it would destroy the FPS performances in Sekiro, I posted into proton's github issue but even with help I couldn't narrow what was exactly causing that) so I switched to Solus and the bug disappeared but then I realised that I missed Arch too much.

So I'm now installing Antergos, I'll just delay the updates myself instead of relying on Manjaro (which still is the best distro, but because of my bug I'm constrained to leave it).

Thankfully my home partition is staying with me along the way so I don't have to reconfigure/redownload games every time lol. :P
Honestly,if you miss Arch, the only way to go is, well, Arch. The installation isn't that hard if you follow instructions properly and there are a LOT of different ways to have your desktop up and running after the initial install.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So.... did anyone else get a rather sizable Steam Common Redistributable update that was mainly for dotnet4 and dotnet3.5? Dare we tp dream that they updated it in response to all of these games that we have to reinstall dotnet using wine/protontricks?

I'm installing FFXIII anyway, so maybe we can find out!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just can't win trying to game on Linux. I disconnected every hard drive and installed PopOS on it, and everything seemed to work fine with that setup. Then after plugging all the other hard drives back in and still booting from the new drive, it launches into an endless black screen on boot.

I know! You've been having such bad luck. :< I'm sorry. I know you even take a break for a bit and came back to take another stab at it.

Were gonna get you up and running somehow!

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I actually encountered that black screen recently when I installed win 10 to another hdd. Windows changed the boot order on me, and I had to turn off quick start on windows 10. From there I had to enable bio by holding the shift button while starting windows 10. From there I arranged the boot order so grub allows me to choose my OS. Otherwise. I would get black screen for about 5 minutes before it boot.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, of course it is normal!
Edit: I've wanted to get back into GW2, and I am getting decent frame rate only on low.
So, I installed win 10 just to check it out. BTW, Win 10 is a nightmare. I couldnt believe how slow it was to update and all the bloatware. I am contemplating deleting it again. But I was getting around 120 fps on highest setting just walking around compared to running it through lutris.
Weird. I read that it runs pretty well on Proton via Lutris

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Lol okay tell me if this has ever happened to you.

I got DMC 5 and re2 free with my new card. And I feel pressured to finish them both before they go on sale... oR their value as packins is less, and then my card was not as good of a deal.

Is this totally logical logic? Or... Less than totally?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I actually encountered that black screen recently when I installed win 10 to another hdd. Windows changed the boot order on me, and I had to turn off quick start on windows 10. From there I had to enable bio by holding the shift button while starting windows 10. From there I arranged the boot order so grub allows me to choose my OS. Otherwise. I would get black screen for about 5 minutes before it boot.
Tere are two things I've seen cause this:
1) Quick Boot being enabled in windows. Disable it. It's just (essentially, though not technically) a special low power state like hibernation that the system boots from. Frankly, if you're using an SSD, you shouldn't even need it as it doesn't help your boot times that much, anyway.
2) Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS. Also disable this. It's not as impacting to your dual boot as Quick Boot is, but you don't really need it, despite what it's there for.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Tere are two things I've seen cause this:
1) Quick Boot being enabled in windows. Disable it. It's just (essentially, though not technically) a special low power state like hibernation that the system boots from. Frankly, if you're using an SSD, you shouldn't even need it as it doesn't help your boot times that much, anyway.
2) Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS. Also disable this. It's not as impacting to your dual boot as Quick Boot is, but you don't really need it, despite what it's there for.

Turning off fast boot didn't seem to do anything. I can't even seem to boot off the USB I used to install PopOS anymore either. I might just try to see if letting it sit for a long time at the black screen does lead to it booting, then maybe try updating drivers or something if it does. Otherwise, I might format the drive from windows 10 and start over.

If I go for a clean install when installing the OS, does it give the option to simply pick an individual drive to format, rather than trying to format every drive?