• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The future of PC gaming has options, especially with Google Stadia using Linux with hopefully more devs making Linux compatible games. Hopefully EA, and others join in, well I'm sure they will if enough people start using Linx for gaming, I doubt EA will have it's games on Google's Stadia though.

Threadmarks

It's easier to do than they showed for modern games.

Crayon breaks down how much easier it is for modern games, especially on Steam.

---------------------------

The Linux Gamer did a pretty long video on this video and he really likes it. May be something for people on the fence to look at if they are not quite sure, he goes into depth on certain things that LTT bring up but kind of gloss over.

Linus Tech Tips believes Linux is THE FUTURE OF GAMING?! (Yes. And I agree)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like a lot of work for...........what?

On Win 10, I can literally download any program or game and it runs.

What is the point of jumping through hoops?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
How important is it to be able to play PC games using open-source platforms and technologies?

On a scale of 1 to 10?

Spoiler. It's 11.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

Securing the PC platform from the whims of Microsoft (or any single corporation) is absolutely a worthwhile effort. And that goes for technologies such as Graphics APIs and so forth too.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I love Linus Tech videos, I understand that they do the clickbait because it works and that it doesn't actually affect the content...but man I actively want to click on those videos less with the clickbait haha. Like I know it works and I get why they do it, just whining here :P

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their previous Linux videos haven't been particularly good, but this one was much better. A tonne of useful information for beginners.

Only thing is, while I like Manjaro, I've posted before on the Linux thread about my hesitation to recommend it to beginners.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I love Linus Tech videos, I understand that they do the clickbait because it works and that it doesn't actually affect the content...but man I actively want to click on those videos less with the clickbait haha. Like I know it works and I get why they do it, just whining here :P
uFKIcrE.png

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017

To not be tied to Windows. To be able to control your PC as you see fit. Because we can? They aren't even hoops, just a few shortish instructions.

This is probably the first LTT video I can say was good, to me. I also laughed at the screenshots they went through and said "more stable" and showed Fedora.

I can honestly say that while I don't personally care for Manjaro (Arch user) I would actually recommend it over Ubuntu even though Ubuntu is the "supported" distro for Proton right now, if only because things are still based on Arch and have a much easier and better time working as intended instead of the hacky stuff Ubuntu tends to do for things like, say, display drivers. Manjaro actually does some of the things Ubuntu does without breaking things in weird ways. I've actually had Ubuntu not load X for me at all before.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I can't read the OP without picturing a video of Noob Saibot from Mortal Kombat starring in a video about configuring a Linux box for gaming.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

I don't hold it against them either, but they do go pretty hard on it. Makin weird faces in the thumbnails n shit lol.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little cynical about how much studia will boost Linux and vulkan, but that would be the best thing to come out of studia for sure. It's just not gonna last that long

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little cynical about how much studia will boost Linux and vulkan, but that would be the best thing to come out of studia for sure. It's just not gonna last that long

I actually didn't realize stadiums game servers are going to be linux-based. Is that the case? I thought just the user's box was going to run on Linux.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I wouldn't say Linux gaming is ready for primetime just yet, but as a Linux hobbyist it's been exciting watching it improve at an unprecedented pace over the last six months.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
My main reason for not using Linux right now is that I really don't like how Libre Office looks. I'm sure I can customize it somehow, but I have to use an office document like a lot and I want to at least stare at something that looks pleasing. I imagine there are ways to customize it but I just haven't gotten around it. I'm dual-booting linux and windows but I just haven't really managed to complete the migration because "gotta finish this work thing first" has been going on for like six months.

My main computer uses are:
-Games
-MS Office
-Scrivener
-Unity
-Unreal Engine
-Youtube shit
-Discord
-Browsing dumb shit
-General programming

So in general Linux can do everything I want, it's just that it's gonna take a while for me to get it to a point I'm comfortable with it. I do want to transition full time to Linux though because running machine learning shit on Windows is a just like, suicide with extra steps

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rendering machine will require games to run vulkan on linux
Thats why doom was the first example shown.
I don't know how ac odessy worked, but they need to run vulkan on linux afaik

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
My main reason for not using Linux right now is that I really don't like how Libre Office looks. I'm sure I can customize it somehow, but I have to use an office document like a lot and I want to at least stare at something that looks pleasing. I imagine there are ways to customize it but I just haven't gotten around it. I'm dual-booting linux and windows but I just haven't really managed to complete the migration because "gotta finish this work thing first" has been going on for like six months.

-Games
-MS Office
-Scrivener
-Unity
-Unreal Engine
-Youtube shit
-Discord
-Browsing dumb shit
-General programming

So in general Linux can do everything I want, it's just that it's gonna take a while for me to get it to a point I'm comfortable with it. I do want to transition full time to Linux though because running machine learning shit on Windows is a just like, suicide with extra steps

I've heard playonlinux can install it. But for that, I would just pop up a VM.

That's hot.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

-Games
-MS Office
-Scrivener
-Unity
-Unreal Engine
-Youtube shit
-Discord
-Browsing dumb shit
-General programming

When most people talk about Libreoffice being ugly, it's the lack of a ribbon menu equivalent people bring up. Or at least, not liking the old-school style defaults.

If that's what you mean then View -> User Interface -> Tabbed. There's also a grouped view which is alright.

Thats why doom was the first example shown.
I don't know how ac odessy worked, but they need to run vulkan on linux afaik

AC is the first example of why I've been saying not to look at Stadia as being a good thing on desktops. At least not as much as people want it to be.

At GDC, Ubisoft people were talking to devs about their experience with Stadia. They said the first two steps were to get a Vulkan renderer working, then their second step was to get it running on normal desktop Linux. Once it was working there it wasn't hard to port to Stadia.

Never mind a Linux desktop version of ACO, that Vulkan ACO never got released either.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
When most people talk about Libreoffice being ugly, it's the lack of a ribbon menu equivalent people bring up. Or at least, not liking the old-school style defaults.

If that's what you mean then View -> User Interface -> Tabbed. There's also a grouped view which is alright.

Yeah I remember getting that sorted out, if I recall my main issue was the grey background being too much of a dark grey for my tastes(I'm aware that's fantastically petty). I know you can change that somehow though, I just never got around to it.

OH and my biggest annoyance was that my mouse's extra buttons didn't work properly and I couldn't seem to remap it, just remembered that being my main issue. I think that's more on my mouse manufacturer than on Linux though.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
linux is a bit of pain for me even for what I consider the basic, like having msi afterburner + rtss

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

AC is the first example of why I've been saying not to look at Stadia as being a good thing on desktops. At least not as much as people want it to be.

At GDC, Ubisoft people were talking to devs about their experience with Stadia. They said the first two steps were to get a Vulkan renderer working, then their second step was to get it running on normal desktop Linux. Once it was working there it wasn't hard to port to Stadia.

Never mind a Linux desktop version of ACO, that Vulkan ACO never got released either.
I don't think aco counts because they ported it after the pc version came out as an experiment.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The whole idea of Stadia is there is no box. It's all Streaming from Google's data centers.

The user can be running literally whatever they want, as long as it can run Chrome or is something like a Chromecast.

I realize that, but when I heard it was using Linux, I figured they were talking about the streaming box. I'm happy to learn that the games themselves will have to he built towards Linux and Vulkan.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I realize that, but when I heard it was using Linux, I figured they were talking about the streaming box. I'm happy to learn that the games themselves will have to he built towards Linux and Vulkan.
There isn't even a Streaming box though, which is what I was trying to get at.

I mean, if you include Chromecast, that technically runs on a heavily stripped out version of ChromeOS I think.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little skeptical about whether Stadia will cause a significant increase in the number of Linux ports, but I'm hopeful. Steam's Proton was certainly the turning point for me, and I'd love to see storefronts like GOG use it (or something similar) for pre-configured Linux packages of their games lacking native support.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Sounds easier than I thought to get up and running for gaming. I might have to have another go at Linux, but with PopOS instead of Ubuntu (which wouldn't install drivers properly). Sounds like once you actually get the OS installed, you just need to really install Steam, Wine, and Lutris in the package manager to be sorted.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Securing the PC platform from the whims of Microsoft (or any single corporation) is absolutely a worthwhile effort. And that goes for technologies such as Graphics APIs and so forth too.

Indeed! I'd say a lot of games up through DirectX 7 probably run better in WINE than they do on modern Windows.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
He should have made clear that's all a first one time process, once it's all setup everything is quick and simple to play games like normal

It's easier to do than they showed for modern games.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017

-Games
-MS Office
-Scrivener
-Unity
-Unreal Engine
-Youtube shit
-Discord
-Browsing dumb shit
-General programming

Microsoft Office 2016 is officially supported with CrossOver (meaning you can actually give them a call if things aren't working out of the box). It's also easy enough to install with WINE if you have an afternoon to work through the tweaks it needs. Also, there are alternatives like OnlyOffice and WPS Office which behave more like MS Office. So while I would advocate giving LibreOffice a shot first, you have plenty of other options.

Anyway, talking about the video itself, I think it was a great introduction. I think the only real critique I have is that they didn't play any modern AAA games or mention them by name to contextualize it for people who are unfamiliar. Games like Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice working out of the box day one is pretty significant, I think.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Microsoft Office 2016 is officially supported with CrossOver (meaning you can actually give them a call if things aren't working out of the box). It's also easy enough to install with WINE if you have an afternoon to work through the tweaks it needs. Also, there are alternatives like OnlyOffice and WPS Office which behave more like MS Office. So while I would advocate giving LibreOffice a shot first, you have plenty of other options.
Thanks, I'll definitely look into that! I'm looking forward to having an afternoon and going through those options, I'd love to give Linux a more serious shot.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I used to like Alex Jones back when he was just a wild conspiracy monger who looked like a grown up Cartman.

But now he's a Republican. Canceled. lol.
Linus said on a video that he would gladly welcome Alex Jones to his video platform after he was kicked out of Youtube because of all his Sandy Hook conspiracy bullshit.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this video. Great output from LTT

There are just some small quibles that are keeping me on Windows right now:

- Perfect support for Office 365 (for work)
- Destiny 2 (Bungie bans anyone that even attempts to WINE)
- HDR support

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Linus said on a video that he would gladly welcome Alex Jones to his video platform after he was kicked out of Youtube because of all his Sandy Hook conspiracy bullshit.
I had to look this up, because I seriously haven't heard this before.

Seems it was Luke, and he was talking about Floatplane. Not Linus.

Edit: Although Linus seems to not disagree, and LMG own Floatplane. So that's not exactly much better.

Last edited:

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to switch to Linux one day to get away from the Windows bloat, but the amount of softwares I need to use every day for work that only works on Win/Mac is too much for me to risk it.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to switch to Linux one day to get away from the Windows bloat, but the amount of softwares I need to use every day for work that only works on Win/Mac is too much for me to risk it.
Work software is a big problem, I agree. Because it's in a professional setting where merely having a good alternative isn't enough.

Out of interest, what software do you use which is Win/Mac only?

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Work software is a big problem, I agree. Because it's in a professional setting where merely having a good alternative isn't enough.

Out of interest, what software do you use which is Win/Mac only?
The whole Adobe suite, Clip Studio Paint, ZBrush and Vegas. I know it should be possible to run them using Wine, but I often hear about instability.

The only other software I frequently use that have Linux support are Blender and Substance Painter/Designer.