It's easier to do than they showed for modern games.
  • discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
    My main reason for not using Linux right now is that I really don't like how Libre Office looks. I'm sure I can customize it somehow, but I have to use an office document like a lot and I want to at least stare at something that looks pleasing. I imagine there are ways to customize it but I just haven't gotten around it. I'm dual-booting linux and windows but I just haven't really managed to complete the migration because "gotta finish this work thing first" has been going on for like six months.

My main computer uses are:
    -Games
    -MS Office
    -Scrivener
    -Unity
    -Unreal Engine
    -Youtube shit
    -Discord
    -Browsing dumb shit
    -General programming

So in general Linux can do everything I want, it's just that it's gonna take a while for me to get it to a point I'm comfortable with it. I do want to transition full time to Linux though because running machine learning shit on Windows is a just like, suicide with extra steps

Microsoft Office 2016 is officially supported with CrossOver (meaning you can actually give them a call if things aren't working out of the box). It's also easy enough to install with WINE if you have an afternoon to work through the tweaks it needs. Also, there are alternatives like OnlyOffice and WPS Office which behave more like MS Office. So while I would advocate giving LibreOffice a shot first, you have plenty of other options.

Anyway, talking about the video itself, I think it was a great introduction. I think the only real critique I have is that they didn't play any modern AAA games or mention them by name to contextualize it for people who are unfamiliar. Games like Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice working out of the box day one is pretty significant, I think.

Last edited:
    Crayon breaks down how much easier it is for modern games, especially on Steam.
  • Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
    This is definitely the best intro to Linux gaming video so far. But discotrigger mentioned something in the other thread: suggesting that the video would be way better if they showed some of the latest games being played right out of the box. Instead of doing a bunch of set up to end up with starcraft 2. they should have been showing stuff like sekiro and DMC 5, etc.

Those are just install steam, click install, and go. If they showed that, I think you'd see that it's easier and more powerful then you may think watching this video.