• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean duh. I preordered it recently too because we're surely past the last of the delays. Heh.

Weird thread.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This thread sure is something. Despite the leaks, I haven't bothered looking. I will also be helping this game sell well at launch.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
gamingroute.com

The Last of Us 2 is currently the Best Selling Game for PS4 on Amazon - Gaming Route

Despite all the leaks and the bad reception of the leaks. The Last Of Us 2 is still the best selling game on Amazon, in Several Countries for PlayStation 4.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Selle...13978397031/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_h__2_13978348031
Honestly, it is kind of surprising considering the number of people I have seen trying to boycott the game.

There's a thing called the 'vocal minority'.

For everyone saying to boycott it, how many people not saying anything are buying the game?

Contrary to believe, most normal people Don't post their thoughts and game buying decisions with a tweet or a YouTube video and worse, a YouTube reply.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm really hoping that the criticism for this game doesnt get twisted into some "the people who don't like it are alt right" narrative...becuase that seems to be popping up A LOT!

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would the leaks stop the game from selling? The false assumption the story is bad?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm really hoping that the criticism for this game doesnt get twisted into some "the people who don't like it are alt right" narrative...becuase that seems to be popping up A LOT!

I wonder why

giphy.gif

but muh angry youtubers say it bad, cuz..

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would put a bet that it doesnt compare. is there a list of youtubers/influencers saying they are picking up the game because of the leaks?

if you're asking me which alt-right people are now interested in the game imma say that maybe you got the question wrong

also all of the people who are constantly dunking it are 100% going to buy it, just like for Pokémon

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I would put a bet that it doesnt compare. is there a list of youtubers/influencers saying they are picking up the game because of the leaks?

People will be picking up this game regardless. It's The Last of Us part II. It's one of the most anticipated games of the entire generation.

Sales are high because they gave an actual release date, which is relatively soon.

Also: stop posting actual spoilers in this thread folks! Youtube thumbnails/titles included.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
The Last of Us isn't quite to the level of EA sports games, but it is definitely a known quantity among casual gamers. It's one of those games your friend will buy, and he only buy a few games per year.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Despite the leaks? What does that even mean.

Most people aren't even aware of any leaks, and for the keyed in audience who is aware, most of those haven't read any leaks.

Reading high level plot details (however extensive) isn't a replacement for playing one of, if not the most anticipated game of the generation.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
if you're asking me which alt-right people are now interested in the game imma say that maybe you got the question wrong

also all of the people who are constantly dunking it are 100% going to buy it, just like for Pokémon

No my question was, what youtubers/influencers have made videos saying they are now buying the game because of the leaks. Or are you saying all youtubers/influencers are alt right weirdos?

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day people want to experience things on their own. Also gamers don't know how to speak with their wallets if they truly don't like something due to their sheer love and hype for a product.

With that said I'm buying this game. I'm more so curious than excited. I'm going to play The Last of Us again once I finish up a few things before this is released.

Jun 23, 2019
What? Despite the leaks?

Barely a fraction of the player base will even be aware of the leaks let alone care about them.

This is definitely not true. It's been all over social media lately. It's gotten to the point where I've had to block people on FB who are running around trying to post spoilers from different groups and sites. Add that on top the game's story content that WILL be talked about by the mainstream media and it's going to get stupid here soon.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No, I'm talking about the "influencers" that wouldn't buy it anyway but pretend the problem is with the story.

(btw, they are buying it even if it's for views alone)

You are completely correct, imagine all the let's plays! "I said I hated this but I had to buy it to play it, so you can see me react to how bad I think it is" lol

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that some people think that this will have a negative impact on sales is quite funny. I guess that's what happens when you're stuck in the enthusiast bubble and can't take a step back to see outside of the noise created by gamers that post on forums and social media.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Less than 1% of the audience probably wouldn't buy because of a leak.

It's one of the most anticipated games of the generation and most normal people don't care or know what's been going on.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
giphy.gif

but muh angry youtubers say it bad, cuz..

Went through some of the video's, to get an idea of their talking point: NO SPOILERS, DON'T WORRY.

A lot of them jumped on the "the writers have been indoctrinated by toxic feminism' train. One video had a interesting point (which i didn't buy).
It mentioned at the end that there is a nihilistic trend going on in popular American art. a stream of nihilistic creator that are "not healthy in this time period". Among Neil Druckman, he mentioned Ari Aster as well? These youtubers sound like 80's priests that went on TV saying that metal is the devil's music.

Get that fuck outta here. i'd say, it's about time American creators got off their romanticized/escapist character genre writing horse. As a European film major i disliked this 'American exceptionalism' narrative trope for years.

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The fact that some people think that this will have a negative impact on sales is quite funny. I guess that's what happens when you're stuck in the enthusiast bubble and can't take a step back to see outside of the noise created by gamers that post on forums and social media.

If one person doesn't buy it because of the leaks, then it is a negative impact on sales. that is the thing that is quite funny, that posts like yours don't seem to grasp that.

No hard feelings, and not being off with you. Just saying it how it is, in purely business terms. The game will be fine though and sell looooooooooads!

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would the leaks stop the game from selling? The false assumption the story is bad?
It's more likely that 99% of the target demographic will never even see the leaks, so the perceived quality wouldn't matter anyway.

I really have no clue why people were claiming this would affect sales in any way.

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I boycott the game I'm been waiting for so long? And I'm not checking out the leaks, I want to experience the game myself.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
A 1.5 hours leak out of 20-25+ hour game. Who cares about the leak is what I'd say. Vast majority don't care or know about it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
If you're not on Twitter or Reddit you probably won't even read those leaks.
I'm not in either of those places and i still didn't come across anything.

Also...i have a feeling all the leaks talk might also make some people pre-order the game instead of giving up on it.
I've seen some people talking about how the leaks made them more interested in this.

What is it with Sony's AAA titles since like 3 years ago? I'm sensing a pattern about them with the senseless negativity the weeks prior they come out?
You don't see that with Nintendo games and they sell millions?
God of War was getting a lot of criticism for how much it was changing and was accused of a downgrade because some fog was missing. Who remembers that now?
What about puddlegate from Spider-Man? How many videos were there about how Insomniac was downgrading the game and even Digital Foundry needed to come out and defend it? It was a huge deal back then.

Naughty Dog is Sony's biggest studio and they are the main target now.
Can't wait for the salty topics once sales get revealed for The Last of Us Part 2

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
They just announced a new release date (something not many games are doing these days) so of course it's selling. I've never heard of a game's sales being affected because it leaked. Last of Us 2 will sell millions and Sony will make a lot of money. It's the safest bet in the known universe.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Realistically why did anyone think that this game was going to lose sales. Almost everyone who says those things doesn't do it. Remember when everyone said they were going to delete their blizzard accounts then didn't?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Even if the leaks lead to say 100k people who would have bought the game from not buying it, that is a drop in the bucker for a game that'll sell 3-4 million copies in a month.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
If one person doesn't buy it because of the leaks, then it is a negative impact on sales. that is the thing that is quite funny, that posts like yours don't seem to grasp that.

A loss of one sale (and a gain of many others) negates the loss, making it a moot point anyway.

The bottom line is, people aren't talking about a loss here or there, but a dramatic impact on sales. Right now, there is absolutely no way to know that, and if I were a betting man, I doubt it will be anything like that at all.

Even if the leaks lead to say 100k people who would have bought the game from not buying it, that is a drop in the bucker for a game that'll sell 3-4 million copies in a month.

A month? This will sell that much within the first three days.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
No my question was, what youtubers/influencers have made videos saying they are now buying the game because of the leaks. Or are you saying all youtubers/influencers are alt right weirdos?

I mean there's a pretty high correlation between making outraged clickbait Youtube videos about no-context leaks and being a dumbass.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A loss of one sale (and a gain of many others) negates the loss, making it a moot point anyway.

The bottom line is, people aren't talking about a loss here or there, but a dramatic impact on sales. Right now, there is absolutely no way to know that, and if I were a betting man, I doubt it will be anything like that at all.

Where is the gain coming from?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean there's a pretty high correlation between making outraged clickbait Youtube videos about no-context leaks and being a dumbass.

Agree on clickbait, those youtubers love it. Thinking how big the PS4 has been compared to the ps3, we expect the last of us 2 to sell considerably more than the first right?

I would.