• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm well an easy way to set them off would've been to show a bunch that used ripped assets from actual Nintendo games. That's always a hot trigger.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Going after something this old is hilarious. Nintendo lawyers really got nothing better to do if this is real.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Without having read that, I blame that everyone learns and develops towards Search Engine Optomization. Everyone's got an SEO engineer. Website builders desides for SEO
The thrust of the thing is basically Google haven't prioritized accuracy in forever so their results are basically shit compared to everyone else now.
Basically the Ad business part of the company took over and it's making everyone's lives miserable.
Just so we're clear, considering the history of Nintendo and Google and the partnerships they usually have, you will probably see Sony disappear from searches before Nintendo...unless they're so bad at their core business that they can't even do their job at all.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck right off nintendo

edit: but maybe not this time¿

edit2: and the plot thickens... thanks Nintendo ;)

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's lawyers are like UI developers that constantly change stuff that isn't broken solely to justify their jobs.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
Gmod content is a pretty significant exposure pipeline for Nintendo IP to little kids, so this really seems shortsighted on Nintendo's part.
What family is getting their little kids a laptop, Steam and GMod, over just getting them a Switch?

If anything most kids first interactions with Nintendo properties are at the toy aisle in Walmart.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
User Banned (3 Days): Justifying piracy
edit: very bad take. apologies for this.

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we should wait for confirmation of this being a DCMA troll or actually Nintendo before users start outraging at Nintendo over something we don't have 100% certainty on

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
What family is getting their little kids a laptop, Steam and GMod, over just getting them a Switch?

If anything most kids first interactions with Nintendo properties are at the toy aisle in Walmart.
This might sound a little silly, but Gmod is very popular with preteens and little kids, but more importantly there is a ton of content created using it that is intended for kids focused YouTube channels. A lot of Mario Gmod stuff pops up on YouTube and is watched by kids. For toddlers and up, who are all plugged into tablets and smartphones in far greater numbers than the current Switch demographics, it's a lot of exposure for them.

I know people joke about the Samus/Fortnite deal, but this Gmod thing is actually a bit different imo.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
Nintendo keeps doing a good job at making anyone who wants to pirate their games feel completely justified.

Yeah sure it's justified to steal because you can't play with some mods. The fact is pirates are cheap entitled losers who want things for free and that's the only reason.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand this. Why would Nintendo file a takedown notice with the people who made Garry's Mod because of third-party content hosted in Steam Workshop? Shouldn't those takedowns be going to, you know, the people who made the actual content? Or Valve, as the company providing the Steam Workshop platform?

I ask because it's kind of weird for this message to apparently be coming from the people who made Garry's Mod and to imply that you'd be doing them a solid for taking down infringing content you added. Like, why? How does this affect Garry's Mod specifically?

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand this. Why would Nintendo file a takedown notice with the people who made Garry's Mod because of third-party content hosted in Steam Workshop? Shouldn't those takedowns be going to, you know, the people who made the actual content? Or Valve, as the company providing the Steam Workshop platform?

I ask because it's kind of weird for this message to apparently be coming from the people who made Garry's Mod and to imply that you'd be doing them a solid for taking down infringing content you added. Like, why? How does this affect Garry's Mod specifically?
I mean you tend to deliver the takedown notice to all involved parties aside from individual consumers. you don't target the individuals as that's a game of whack-a-mole. There's far too many people making the content and the barrier to reentry is pretty small.
Anyhow, Garry's Mod is owned by Valve. Facepunch is a subsidiary of Valve.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Yeah I feel like someone could argue in court that they didn't do anything over 20 years so they don't have the right to take down anymore but I know nothing about legal stuff

If I remember correctly, it's the last act of infringement when it comes to statute of limitations and not the first.

Solbright

Oct 28, 2017
The more Nintendo attacks their fans, who are just celebrating Nintendo IP through mods, fan games or legal emulation, the more I lose interest in playing their games. Not because of their quality or distribution, but the way they view fan content as damaging to their brand instead of a sign that their creations have touched so many people in a positive manor, and as harmless enjoyment of things that make them happy. They may have the rights to do these things, but having power doesn't implicitly provide morality in its use. Their behavior in this regard is just overall very upsetting.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Eh Nintendo is right to protect their IPs and assets, especially if they are being used in unauthorized ways. That said, Nintendo could redirect that kind of creative fandom and highlight similar (clean) fan created works by offering a modern Mario Paint style title for people to have a creative playground with pictures and short videos. That would be a win win.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot imagine garrys mod being a legitimate threat to their business in any way. if theres any truth to this it's an insane overreach

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I mean you tend to deliver the takedown notice to all involved parties aside from individual consumers. you don't target the individuals as that's a game of whack-a-mole. There's far too many people making the content and the barrier to reentry is pretty small.
Anyhow, Garry's Mod is owned by Valve. Facepunch is a subsidiary of Valve.

Facepunch is not a subsidiary of Valve, it is an independent company. I don't believe Garry's Mod is owned by Valve, i believe they just published it on Steam.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
Why hasn't the OP been updated with the possibility that this might be that copyright troll(people from Twitter, Famiboards, and Reddit said his name is Aaron) due to a bunch of fake DMCAs Facepunch have been receiving for months, with the recent one being two days ago?