Oct 25, 2017
Why hasn't the OP been updated with the possibility that this might be that copyright troll(people from Twitter, Famiboards, and Reddit said his name is Aaron) due to a bunch of fake DMCAs Facepunch have been receiving for months, with the recent one being two days ago?

There's two things here.

"I am wrong" - a take (hot or otherwise) that was made as some knee jerk reaction isn't the issue myself or others have with the person making it, per se. Yours or my agreement/disagreement with it aside, they are then perhaps made to feel they have to post when they typically get dunked on. I don't always think that's healthy. Not everything needs to be disagreed with.

But people also rarely make it known in these conversations they have actually learned something they didn't know - it would somehow embarrass them or invite said dunking-on's.

The worse thing is when you see folks double-down and make it about something else. They won't admit they got got - and i strsss again that they shouldn't have to in every case - but I don't know where the line is drawn.

I'm fine with being labelled a shill or fanboy. It's just another day ending in 'y' for me. It's why I can say I know there's probably a dozen draft oosts at the ready with their ringers on the trigger to post the obligatory curse words when this is confirmed :D

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
feels like the new information makes the title a bit misleading, it would be weird for Nintendo to notice this...now, is most likely a troll imo.

im gonna check out famiboards to see if there's more info

donhonk

Oct 30, 2017
Why hasn't the OP been updated with the possibility that this might be that copyright troll(people from Twitter, Famiboards, and Reddit said his name is Aaron) due to a bunch of fake DMCAs Facepunch have been receiving for months, with the recent one being two days ago?

I'm gonna take the official blog post at its word that it is, indeed, actually Nintendo.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
I'm gonna take the official blog post at its word that it is, indeed, actually Nintendo.
Thing is, they've been fooled by fake DMCAs before from what I'm hearing on the Garry Mod reddit. Plus Valve hasn't said anything on this matter and Facepunch Studios hasn't posted this on their twitter or anything like that.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo going full Disney and I hate it.
Even if it is a troll, they would totally do that anyway.

Sep 20, 2021

I mean they did not do it, but in an alternate universe they probably had done it, but perhaps in an alternate universe you had done it too? Who knows?

The funny thing is, we had already several similar outrages about Nintendo were it was just a joke or someone other in the end. It seems some people just want to hate.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Good bye, legendary pic

d4cwwd2-7447840e-aeaa-4671-9a3c-81a73b7f18e6.jpg

Feb 9, 2024
Even if it is a troll, they would totally do that anyway

Ok so, we've been seeing lots and lots of Mario themed stuff made with Garry's mod, of every possible type, for two fucking decades. Nintendo has never done nothing about it, even when they were at their most litigious.

And, confornted with the possibility that it may be a DMCA troll who is in a DMCA takedown streak right now, your reaction is they would totally do that anyway

What in the flying fuck?

This forum and Nintendo is quite sad. You could post an article about Nintendo hiring some devs and Era would be all "BUT WHY NOT ALL THE DEVS LAID OFF?!?!""

Yep, noticed it quickly.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
Nintendo's always been quite "protective" of their IP, but their recent actions feels like an escalation.

Fuck 'em regardless. Absolute clown shit.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It never ceases to amaze me how gullible people can be

You'd have to disregard like 40 years of Nintendo being hyper protective of their IP to go "they would never..."
Hopefully it is a troll, but Nintendo has taken down mere videos of game mods, so this doesn't strike me as out of the realm of possibility.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
This might sound a little silly, but Gmod is very popular with preteens and little kids, but more importantly there is a ton of content created using it that is intended for kids focused YouTube channels. A lot of Mario Gmod stuff pops up on YouTube and is watched by kids. For toddlers and up, who are all plugged into tablets and smartphones in far greater numbers than the current Switch demographics, it's a lot of exposure for them.

I know people joke about the Samus/Fortnite deal, but this Gmod thing is actually a bit different imo.
Those kids probably watched weird rich people act out a skit, or play hide and seek in video games costumes way more than watching someone machinimate in gmod.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
I don't know man, this Nintendo company sure sounds like it's not too happy with other creators taking inspiration from it.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
"It doesn't matter if it's true, because it feels like something that's true"

Like, really? You can do better than this.

Jul 4, 2023
This forum and Nintendo is quite sad. You could post an article about Nintendo hiring some devs and Era would be all "BUT WHY NOT ALL THE DEVS LAID OFF?!?!""

And anything that is quickly debunked or put out as false is still played as if it's fact. People want to create their own narrative to make themselves feel better about toy game boxes.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
And anything that is quickly debunked or put out as false is still played as if it's fact. People want to create their own narrative to make themselves feel better about toy game boxes.
Because many people on era just to want outrage a lot of the time. Even the posts saying that if Nintendo didn't do it tend to end with a response like "they probably would so fuck them" even on things in the past that were't their doing in the end. Like do some of these posters realize what they're posting? I see so imaginary and hypothetical scenarios on this forum in threads similar to this one, even when we don't have concrete evidence just so that people can post outrage and feel vindicated. It's tiring.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Because many people on era just to want outrage a lot of the time. Even the posts saying that if Nintendo didn't do it tend to end with a response like "they probably would so fuck them" even on things in the past that were't their doing in the end. Like do some of these posters realize what they're posting? I see so imaginary and hypothetical scenarios on this forum in threads similar to this one, even when we don't have concrete evidence just so that people can post outrage and feel vindicated. It's tiring.
The whole internet is like that now, because outrage drives engagement. People don't comment on things that are "Oh, haha yeah I kinda agree with that" or "I'm not sure if that's right but I don't know"... the more you can make your audience outraged by a statement, the more engagement you have.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The whole internet is like that now, because outrage drives engagement. People don't comment on things that are "Oh, haha yeah I kinda agree with that" or "I'm not sure if that's right but I don't know"... the more you can make your audience outraged by a statement, the more engagement you have.
it's depressing. I get it, but man it just makes me want to visit forums and game sites less. just feels like everyone is miserable

Darkreaver

Feb 16, 2024
If that Zelda game had mod Support and someone modded Kratos in it? No Sony should not sue.

A mod isnt that different from an engine. Mod support can go as far as you want it to go. So no, its not a valid awnser you give. Also while the request seems fake, if it would be real they didnt sue them.

Also, its about hosting them.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
What kind of thought process is this? Gary's Mod is like 20 fucking years old and they haven't done anything about it for this long. A troll does it and suddenly Nintendo was going to "totally do that anyway" ??

This forum has become unbearable when it comes to Nintendo stuff at this point.

Jindujun

Dec 7, 2023

This is so true.
I remember Nintendo doing some form of donation or something a few years ago and half the thread was "what? couldn't they do more? Nintendo sucks as always"

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By Posting; Platform Warring
So is it safe to say fuck Nintendo now without the defense brigade? Because fuck Nintendo, period.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of thought process is this? Gary's Mod is like 20 fucking years old and they haven't done anything about it for this long. A troll does it and suddenly Nintendo was going to "totally do that anyway" ??

This forum has become unbearable when it comes to Nintendo stuff at this point.
The most verifiable source in this whole thing was the one saying it was a Nintendo takedown and it looks like that's now confirmed, can we now say this place is unbearably full of a Nintendo defence force with the rush to say "see guys its not real" based on nothing but speculation? In reality I say it tends to be pretty evenly pro or anti Nintendo around these parts.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay now I'm starting to think it was a change of Management at this point. Not for some of the stuff they usually go for in the past, but rather things they have not touched for 20 years until now.

OP
OP
HibbySloth

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The most verifiable source in this whole thing was the one saying it was a Nintendo takedown and it looks like that's now confirmed, can we now say this place is unbearably full of a Nintendo defence force with the rush to say "see guys its not real" based on nothing but speculation? In reality I say it tends to be pretty evenly pro or anti Nintendo around these parts.

I wouldn't call out this place out alone for doing that, it's all over the internet.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Rule of thumb: just because u like a company's games doesnt mean you have to defend the company itself.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
LMAO

Fuck this. Literally no other IP holder cares. Nintendo is still ass backwards when it comes to interacting with fans.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
they, and any other IP holder, are well within their rights to do it (as in, take down unauthorized usage of their IP)

doesn't mean it doesn't also suck for the modders and people who enjoy the mods

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
We all know poor Nintendo will go bankrupt if people play TTT in Kakariko Village.

fuck this shit.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
LMAO

Fuck this. Literally no other IP holder cares. Nintendo is still ass backwards when it comes to interacting with fans.

I imagine a lot of them actually do care, but don't have the legal might or the resources to actually enforce it the way Nintendo does. Or you generally don't see/hear of the various takedown requests companies send all the time because they don't have the kind of spotlight Nintendo has on them.