SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Hard to watch really. Can't believe they created a special game only to get shutdown.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Wow, that gameplay demo they show off around 9 minutes in is really something. They really knew what this game was gonna be about.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
So much potential for this studio....gone :(

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Worst closure xbox has ever done I would have to say. Still can't believe such a dumb move.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most talented young game directors shown the door for no reason šŸ˜‘

Jan 4, 2018
Imagine closing such a talented studio with such a talented game director with incredibly promising trajectory. Unbelievable. Thanks Xbox and Microsoft for destroying Tango Gameworks for no reason (and Shinji Mikami's work by the way).

0y5r.png

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Nobody bought it. Which wasn't supposed to matter because.. Game Pass!! It was supposed to allow these kinds of games to thrive regardless. Damn shame indeed.

Johanas is a true talent.

I was one of the few that pointed out how it should have been announced at the TGAs 2022, the month before it released and when Xbox had nothing there, and people told me in droves how the shadow drop strategy was a stroke of brilliance. It wasn't, they completely set the game up for failure with the zero marketing behind it

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Nobody bought it. Which wasn't supposed to matter because.. Game Pass!! It was supposed to allow these kinds of games to thrive regardless. Damn shame indeed.

Johanas is a true talent.
They weren't shutdown because nobody bought it. They were shutdown because they released a game and were pitching new ones.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I don't think I could even watch this or play the game now, it fucking hurts so much. They deserved better.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I assume future devs will study this and make sure never to produce a similar game. Don't wanna get your entire studio nuked

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Microsoft Exec #1: Man these people really show a love and passion for gaming! The game was even a hit!
Microsoft Exec #2: Cancel them?
Microsoft #1: Cancel them.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I was one of the few that pointed out how it should have been announced at the TGAs 2022, the month before it released and when Xbox had nothing there, and people told me in droves how the shadow drop strategy was a stroke of brilliance. It wasn't, they completely set the game up for failure with the zero marketing behind it

I know we cant take anything said about this game at face value, but Johannes repeatedly said it was his idea. I don't think an announce trailer a month earlier would've changed things much, if at all--it would need a major marketing push, the kind Xbox never does, for a game that as brilliant as it is, is at the weird intersection of two niche genres. Just a trailer and some IGN previews wouldn't do much, even had all else been the same.

Like, I can see a month of youtube thinkpieces on WTH is Tango doing, they're the horror studio (even if that is not true), without actually building hype.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I know we cant take anything said about this game at face value, but Johannes repeatedly said it was his idea. I don't think an announce trailer a month earlier would've changed things much, if at all--it would need a major marketing push, the kind Xbox never does, for a game that as brilliant as it is, is at the weird intersection of two niche genres. Just a trailer and some IGN previews wouldn't do much, even had all else been the same.

Like, I can see a month of youtube thinkpieces on WTH is Tango doing, they're the horror studio (even if that is not true), without actually building hype.

Millions of people watching the TGAs would have noticed it existed, there would have been tons of discussions on Xbox "doing a game like that!?" leading to the launch. Announcing it at some January Xbox direct and releasing it the same day was a kiss of death

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Millions of people watching the TGAs would have noticed it existed, there would have been tons of discussions on Xbox "doing a game like that!?" leading to the launch. Announcing it at some January Xbox direct and releasing it the same day was a kiss of death

And I think those discussions would've been negative. Because it's super niche--imagine the countless videos taking the (very cut down) trailer gags, talking about annoying whedonesque dialogue. I don't think hype would spread, because HFR really, really comes together on playing it. "Comedy rhythmn DMC" as a pitch doesn't sound great.

Honestly, I think not launching as multiplatform did more to kill it than the shadow drop. if it hit PS5 when the excitement over it was at a fever pitch, it mightve sold more there, since character actions bigger there.

Like having people talking about your game does not mean it would automatically be positive. I'd imagine a ton of the engagement would be negative, not positive.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
And I think those discussions would've been negative. Because it's super niche--imagine the countless videos taking the (very cut down) trailer gags, talking about annoying whedonesque dialogue. I don't think hype would spread, because HFR really, really comes together on playing it. "Comedy rhythmn DMC" as a pitch doesn't sound great.

Honestly, I think not launching as multiplatform did more to kill it than the shadow drop. if it hit PS5 when the excitement over it was at a fever pitch, it mightve sold more there, since character actions bigger there.

Like having people talking about your game does not mean it would automatically be positive. I'd imagine a ton of the engagement would be negative, not positive.

Nah, this is just not a very convincing "Imagine how bad it would have been if they had done THAT instead?" when the reality is what they actually did had the studio shutdown due to how badly the game flopped. This is before they even entertained the idea of ever going multiplatform with their games, at least publicly. The TGAs was a great window to do a surprise announcement of the game have a few weeks of hype and discussion leading to the launch. The problem was they didnt want to spend the money to push it, and look what happened.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Nah, this is just not a very convincing "Imagine how bad it would have been if they had done THAT instead?" when the reality is what they actually did had the studio shutdown due to how badly the game flopped. This is before they even entertained the idea of ever going multiplatform with their games, at least publicly. The TGAs was a great window to do a surprise announcement of the game have a few weeks of hype and discussion leading to the launch. The problem was they didnt want to spend the money to push it, and look what happened.

My thing is, I do not see someone who is so plugged into gaming that they will watch the TGAs see one trailer out of the dozens, get hype and proselytize it for a month nonstop...YET at the same time pays so little attention to gaming that the miss literally every outlet on the planet going nuts about how terrific HI Fi Rush is. I can see the opposite of dozens of "who asked for THIS?" videos and click bait.

A trailer a month earlier wouldn't reach some unwashed masses who would never hear of the game otherwise, because if you're watching the TGAs, youre already plugged in. Even if you missed the Xbox showcase, you weren't going to miss the tidal wave of 9/10 reviews. To reach the folks who would miss that hype they'd need a BIG marketing push. Like... for months, about the only point of discussion in the Xbox sphere was HFR. If you missed the hype, a TGA trailer wouldn't reach you. Getting that going a month earlier wouldn't suddenly make it break into the mainstream, unless you did a media blitz of the kind Microsoft barely does for its bigger titles.

That's my thing, to actually make Hi-Fi big, they'd either need to invest in a marketing campaign for an AAA production, or release it of PS5 and hope the hype drove engagement there.

Both of these seem like the obvious better course in hindsight, obviously. But just announcing the game wouldnt.

I still really hope that Tango is able to recover from this somehow.

Tango can't. It's dead. Johannes and other team members can and should.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
MY GOAT! I wish nothing but the best for John and FUCK MICROSOFT......FUCK

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
My thing is, I do not see someone who is so plugged into gaming that they will watch the TGAs see one trailer out of the dozens, get hype and proselytize it for a month nonstop...YET at the same time pays so little attention to gaming that the miss literally every outlet on the planet going nuts about how terrific HI Fi Rush is. I can see the opposite of dozens of "who asked for THIS?" videos and click bait.

A trailer a month earlier wouldn't reach some unwashed masses who would never hear of the game otherwise, because if you're watching the TGAs, youre already plugged in. Even if you missed the Xbox showcase, you weren't going to miss the tidal wave of 9/10 reviews. To reach the folks who would miss that hype they'd need a BIG marketing push. Like... for months, about the only point of discussion in the Xbox sphere was HFR. If you missed the hype, a TGA trailer wouldn't reach you. Getting that going a month earlier wouldn't suddenly make it break into the mainstream, unless you did a media blitz of the kind Microsoft barely does for its bigger titles.

That's my thing, to actually make Hi-Fi big, they'd either need to invest in a marketing campaign for an AAA production, or release it of PS5 and hope the hype drove engagement there.

Both of these seem like the obvious better course in hindsight, obviously. But just announcing the game wouldnt.

Tango can't. It's dead. Johannes and other team members can and should.

I hope so.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
A cruel and senseless decision that is just so fucking, unbelievably stupid.

Hope Johanas and others they laid off can land on their feet

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom should snatch this guy up. I could see him doing so well with so many of their properities.
I think people are going to have to come to terms that their favorite gaming company probably is not going to let who ever they hire make their own games or even become a lead of their library.
Like, whatever brand new games Capcom been making has been slow in releasing or returning, less popular series being some being some rehash or redux (hey, you could make the case of Dragon's Dogma 2 being that :3). Because as much as I am a big fan of RESIDENTEVIL/MONSTERHUNTER/STREETFIGHTER, those projects have been the MADDEN/FIFA/NHL of that company since... 2017 would be the easy answer but maybe when Monster Hunter World blew up the world? When Street Fighter V stopped sucking? Anyways, the output of anything else that reaches those series' level has been too slow for me to be convinced that might change for the remaining generation.

Yeah, this is a downer of a prospect (and potential derailment) but the point I'm trying to make is the people who were Tango Gameworks are better off starting anew if they still want to make the games they want to make because even if John was hired by Capcom, it is likely he'll just be put into the Resident Evil mines (to design mine levels).