Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Easiest/Quickest comparison I could make. This assumes the cut scene model is the same as the in-game.

5EeRJvo.jpg
very helpful tyvm.

I think changes are harder to appreciate in a fast moving trailer and given the art style of the game. A morphing of characters like this in the trailer (BL1 -> BL3) to open the trailer and showcase the updated looks would have been really good.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Just popping in this thread to tell everyone, regardless of their feelings on the Borderlands series, that you should play Tales from the Borderlands. It's amazing.

That is all.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
very helpful tyvm.

I think changes are harder to appreciate in a fast moving trailer and given the art style of the game. A morphing of characters like this in the trailer (BL1 -> BL3) to open the trailer and showcase the updated looks would have been really good.

Plus it's definitely compressed. That doesn't help either.

However there are a few subtle things I think I'm seeing? Like it looks like there may be some tesselation on the ground there? Like in the environmental scene in front of the shed. The cracked ground looks like there's an actual bump map to it. Bl2 never had anything like that.

Just popping in this thread to tell everyone, regardless of their feelings on the Borderlands series, that you should play Tales from the Borderlands. It's amazing.

That is all.

After seeing that all the characters are coming back (thus implying a story heavy side game such as Tales will be relevant), and having finally found a group of friends to properly play with BL2 with me, I just might now.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
What I like the most about this trailer is that it's just feels like Borderlands.
It doesn't seem "tainted" by today's industry.
Maybe they'll prove me wrong but I really like that. I was worried that this wouldn't feel right, but i does.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yea same here. There is definitely a graphical improvement but it's just they appear to have reused a lot of assets from previous entries in the environments.
Don't do this. Don't just say this. Show it.
If you can't or won't do that, then keep it to yourself until you can. I've seen far more people claim this wrongly than rightly. I know you've seen how that plays out. Here on Era and on GAF before it. Entire threads, entire groups of threads derailed and made contentious because of FUD, claims that seemed reasonable and realistic to the undiscerning but were ultimately untruthful. You remember Fallout 4 pre-release discussion on NeoGAF? I remember the exact moment discourse went to shit on that game (and never recovered until the day the game came out) - when some asshole divined (read: purposelly made up on the spot) instances of 'reused Fallout 3 assets' from blurry cam footage of the QuakeCon F4 reveal. That game was never a looker but the impact that claim (read: outright lie) had on discussion about the game was just awful. and I'd rather not repeat that here

Last edited:

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Yea same here. There is definitely a graphical improvement but it's just they appear to have reused a lot of assets from previous entries in the environments. To me it just looks like a lot of the environments are the same assets at a much higher resolution/quality which is really disappointing.
So would you say the devs were lazy?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Plus it's definitely compressed. That doesn't help either.

However there are a few subtle things I think I'm seeing? Like it looks like there may be some tesselation on the ground there? Like in the environmental scene in front of the shed. The cracked ground looks like there's an actual bump map to it. Bl2 never had anything like that.
Agree.

You just listed a bunch of improvements and then simultaneously tried to minimize them by saying "it's not much."
It's about degrees, not checking off boxes and it depends on what you're expecting after 7 years of technology advancement. It definitely looks better in comparison images of characters. 7 years better? We'll see when the game comes out and we can fire it up on decent rigs. Then we will have something better than videos to use to compare with.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Not a big Borderlands person, and that trailer did nothing to change my mind. Hope fans of the series like it tho.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I bet you that gun with legs is gonna be the new Tediore gun reload gimmick

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
While I'm not a fan of Randy Pitchford, I'm excited for this. It's a game that me and several friends can play together, hopefully for a good month or two.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Every company does when promoting remakes, because there is value to showing visual improvements. No reason they *can't* do it here.

and lol @ implying that Gearbox of all companies would shy away from doing something that "no company does".
Okay but they are trying to hype the current game. Graphics haven never been something that they hype up with Borderlands.

And it makes sense for remakes and remaster cause its "Look how this game used to look."

For this it would be a "Look how our previous game looks, our new one looks better duhhhhh" It's silly. And it's silly to expect it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Talks about a season pass or not yet?

Interested in what they do to make the weapons and skills more interesting but Day 1 for me on 1X as long as they don't make it perform poorly.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Don't do this. Don't just say this. Show it.

And if you can't do that, then keep it to yourself, because you're probably wrong.
I have no idea how I'd do that. I don't have capturing equipment and I don't feel like o should have to boot up my PS4 and capture footage on it in order to comment on a forum about something I noticed and was disappointed with in a trailer for a game I was looking forward to. Stop telling others what they can and cannot say. You're not a mod.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy that it looks like they're sticking to what makes Borderlands unique and not trying to chase Destiny and the other MMO-lite shlooters out of some dumb fear of being "out of date".

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I really hope they take their writing cues from Tales from the Borderlands this time around. Writing has always been the weakest part of these games, but a Borderlands sequel with as sharp writing as TftB had could be really special.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bet you that gun with legs is gonna be the new Tediore gun reload gimmick

Absolutely seems like something they'd do. I hope all of manufacturers offer a variety of different gimmicks to compliment their main one. Tediore weapons can be thrown and turn into a sorts of things, the last shot in a Torgue gun is an even bigger explosion, etc.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how I'd do that. I don't have capturing equipment and I don't feel like o should have to boot up my PS4 and capture footage on it in order to comment on a forum about something I noticed and was disappointed with in a trailer for a game I was looking forward to. Stop telling others what they can and cannot say. You're not a mod.
I'm not a mod but my reaction is just like, not like I give a fuck, I'm in the right here. Okay I'm being a douchebag and I'll reign it in (you might understand if you recalled specific instances of this happening in the past like I do) but I really don't think its cool to claim asset reuse if you can't back it then and there. It's the specific claim I take issue with, anyone can say what they want about the game but that's an allegation more than a mere opinion.
Not like I don't know where you're coming from, either. The game looks eerily like Borderlands 2, art-wise. Asset reuse implies certain things about the development of a game to readers, though, and I don't think it's fair to suggest it without some kind of reciept. Only because I've seen discussions about certain games go to shit before as a result of such claims.
I think it'd be hella interesting if someone could point out instances of asset reuse, for what it's worth. Cuz like I said it would carry implications about the development of the game; mind, none that we could really nail down at this early stage, knowing as little about the scale of the game as we do, but it'd be an interesting development nonethelesss

Last edited:

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get a release date or at least a window on the 3rd. My guess is September 3rd.

I hope we also get details like pre-orders, collectors editions, season pass info, etc. Would also like to see new characters down the road.
I'm Hyped.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can say whatever you want. But we are also free to call you out when what you say is blatantly wrong and doubling down on it even.

Like, I dunno, maybe you could find a random enviroment model from BL1 or 2 somewhere in that trailer. But you're making it sound like they copy pasted noticeable amounts of assets from BL1 or 2 into the things shown in that trailer. And that's just flat out a lie

Who is that really obese woman

I want to play as her

Ellie

She's awesome, but not playable

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need capture equipment. Point to a moment in the trailer and then find an image online of the exact same model/asset in a previous game.