• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
California
How are we OK with this horribly controlling game getting a pass and even great review scores?

The movement is clunky and the lack of responsiveness makes multiplayer a mess.

I can't be the only one that hates this. I know some games require you to "adapt" to their control schemes, but this is not a matter of adapting. It just controls terribly.

Glad I got it on Game Pass, at least.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
To me it honestly plays like every other gears game whuch makes a change from all the super fast mp games out there

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Lmao what!?
Ive been playing since 2006 and its never been better like holy shit.
Butter smooth and fast af

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
its play like gears and i really think they should atleast make it better or accept some changes to make it more smooth.

OP
OP
Metanoia Prime
Oct 26, 2017
California
It's snappier and way more responsive than most games. Might be your TV and it's input lag.
I play Rocket League (Champ, so decently high level for someone who doesn't have running mates) and do decent at Cod, Apex, and more. Definitely not my TV.

You basically can't tell when you're going to roll or go into cover. When you do pull out of cover, it's iffy to tell which way you're going. It's stiff and clunky. I'm fighting the controls here. "That's Gears" is not a valid excuse. That's crappy game design.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
The game's controls will almost always feel like sluggish tank controls to new players at first, but if you're willing to give it time and approach it with an open mind where you don't try to play it like other 3rd person shooters you'll find that the control system actually gives you a lot of options and freedom of movement.

There's some good videos out there that guide you through a number of nuances and techniques that can help you get better, though from the OP it doesn't sound like you're interested in trying any of it out. In a more user facing friendly way you also have access to a number of different control options and alternative set-up within the options that might be more to your liking

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Been like that since gears 1. Not gonna make you feel better, but gears 5 is the most fluid one..

I got used to it.. except my issue is that turning while sprinting still feels like fucking shit since the first game and they never addressed it. It's completely awful.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Change your control scheme to classic-alt then remap X to A and Y to X. That control scheme is on press while the others are on release for whatever reason.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I play Rocket League (Champ level) and do decent at Cod, Apex, and more. Definitely not my TV.

You basically can't tell when you're going to roll or go into cover. When you do pull out of cover, it's iffy to tell which way you're going. It's stiff and clunky.
Is this your first gears?
Because I know exactly if im rolling or cover sliding and chaining slides has never been easier

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I play Rocket League (Champ level) and do decent at Cod, Apex, and more. Definitely not my TV.

You basically can't tell when you're going to roll or go into cover. When you do pull out of cover, it's iffy to tell which way you're going. It's stiff and clunky.
Huh interesting, I've never noticed it and I play a lot of faces paced games too. Well sorry to hear your experience isn't great. :(

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I spent the whole week-end playing it with my SO and another friend... it plays fine, I mean, it's Gears? I'm not sure about putting the chainsaw on holding R1 but that's pretty minor.

I hate the skiff controls though, happily gave that away to my SO :P

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The game controls great. The series wouldn't have such a strong competitive community if it didn't.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It plays fine for me, it even feels snappier than Gears 4.

Though I have a 144hz monitor.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
I play Rocket League (Champ, so decently high level for someone who doesn't have running mates) and do decent at Cod, Apex, and more. Definitely not my TV.

You basically can't tell when you're going to roll or go into cover. When you do pull out of cover, it's iffy to tell which way you're going. It's stiff and clunky. I'm fighting the controls here. "That's Gears" is not a valid excuse. That's crappy game design.
Sounds like a you problem, can very easily tell when I'm going to roll or go into cover or where I'm going to go when I pull out of cover.

Only thing I can say is play more? idk what to tell you

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

You are calling something crappy design that's on it's 6th iteration on a very popular IP that's been playing the same (and it's actually better than any other one). People calling it Gears is because that's what they expect for the 6th title in the ip, just because you don't expect it to be that way nor are used to it compared to other games doesn't mean it's crappy design...it means you aren't used to it or don't like it, and that's a totally valid point of view to have...bad game design...eh.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
How are we OK with this horribly controlling game getting a pass and even great review scores?

The movement is clunky and the lack of responsiveness makes multiplayer a mess.

I can't be the only one that hates this. I know some games require you to "adapt" to their control schemes, but this is not a matter of adapting. It just controls terribly.

Glad I got it on Game Pass, at least.
Adapt. Gears is fun and fast you just have to actually do it. If your walking around like its COD then you're doing it wrong.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
If it really was a "horrible controlling game" the reviews would show that in the score. This is just a you problem, OP.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Probably more likely that you're bad or haven't played enough than the best competitive third person shooter on the market has poor controls.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Best feeling 3rd person shooter for me. Super satisfying. Reason why you can't spin in a dime is intentional. Not supposed to see behind you for multiplayer purposes. Cover shooter which stresses getting position and drop on opponents. Once you get it, it's actually fluid. I like that it feels heavy.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
There's an alternate control scheme that splits the "everything" button into two: one for roadie running and rolling, and one for snapping in and out of cover. I suggest you try it out and see if you still feel as strongly about the controls being bad afterwards, OP.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Uh what

Gears has some of the best movement in any pvp title. Wallbouncing is fun as fuck, super responsive and has a nice skill curve.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

Whether or not your character rolls or enters cover is extremely consistent, it's just a matter of awareness. Double tapping A will always cause your character to roll, and a single tap of A will always cause your character to enter cover (perhaps you're double tapping A for both actions?). Exiting cover is also as simple as holding backwards on the control stick - your character will stand/back up directly from where they were.

It sounds like a button discipline issue. It sounds like you're applying too many inputs where they don't need to be applied, or to where they shouldn't be applied. Gears is a game that has very smooth, rock-solid and consistent mechanics - if the things I outlined seem like they could be the catalyst for the inconsistencies you're facing, I would try applying some of these tips and seeing if they help.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Again, not a valid answer. Because a game has historically played bad does not excuse it from criticism in 2019.

Is anybody else in this thread agreeing with you that it's bad design? Bad design is obvious to anybody. If you're the only person in a thread to have a problem, then it's more likely a you problem.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
They need to move roadie run to the left stick like all shooters in the industry. Get rid of the B fast vault that is basically tacked on jank.

Roadie run mode: A is to vault cover.

Regular move: A is slide to cover or roll.

I think they'll help clear up lot of the awkward moments.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Am wondering if the OP played TPS before or a TP for that matter.

LW8.gif

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
OP must have never played a Gears game before lol. It plays like Gears. It's supposed to feel heavy and weighted.