Votes: 63 3.9%
  • > 75

Votes: 28 1.7%

• Total voters

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I played that MP Beta. It still just feels like Gears. Nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't enough to warrant a 90+ MC for Gears 4, so I don't think people are all the sudden going to love it in Gears 5. I still think high high 80's...somewhere in that 87-89 range, but I think outlets will dock it points because; "Gears multiplayer is more of the same, and it's done well, but it's not for me". I think the campaign sounds like it's going to get some near universal praise, and maybe even if this were just a single player/co-op game, it could score in the low-mid '90's, but I think because it's such a large package, there are going to be parts of it that not everyone is crazy about, and certain reviewers will dock it points for the parts of the game they aren't as into.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My prediction is some people will like it and others will like it a little less. Some people may not like it at all. I would like that option added to the poll.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If the game gets over 90 is Rod going to do a navel gazing YouTube video in a flood of tears via laptop webcam, saying how much it all means to him etc?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
If the game gets over 90 is Rod going to do a navel gazing YouTube video in a flood of tears via laptop webcam, saying how much it all means to him etc?

Weird comment to make considering how much labor is put into this stuff. I, for one, appreciate seeing people act like people. It's endearing.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm thinking a lot of 9/10's.

Everything I've seen so far looks really good and I'm not even typically a fan of a series.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I've gone with 86-90, but I'm hoping it's a return to form for the series, 4 left me a little cold.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
86-90... A campaign that breaks the mold a little and a reasonable attempt at bringing something new to the multiplayer, packaged with the series' best visuals to date.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Curious to see how the pc version is - with them adding a high rez texture pack it sounds like they really want it to stand out, can't wait for thursday night

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
There are plenty of other, more precise ways to describe whatever moral high ground you believe you are speaking from.

It's a cheap shot at Cory Barlog.
And what would be wrong with that? What is even the point of this comment dude?
Spoken like someone that has never poured their heart into anything.
You sound kinda salty, man.

Maybe take a break.
Ok ok :) Fair points. Certainly a misjudged post, it was supposed to be taken a little more light-heartedly. But nevertheless, I just watched Cory's reaction video again on the back of these comments and it is a lot more genuine and heartfelt, and far less navel gazing than I remembered with plenty of credit to his team. To the point where I realise Cory is pouring his heart out somewhat, so my shot at the video is indirectly at Cory too. Not that he's going to give any pebbles of shit what I think of course. But I hold my arms up. And I'll get my coat on the way out!

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

Grow up man. We really don't need childish comments like that. I wish Era would do a Age Verification and not allow 5 year old's to join.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
With how much of an improvement the multiplayer was over past Gears outings (emphasizing precision aiming, predictive recoil, and rewarding rifle headshots changes the pace of long range gunfighting so much), I'll be happy with the game, regardless of the campaign's quality (and I say that as someone who enjoyed Gears 4 a great deal). A good campaign that revamps the series' roots? Icing on the cake, baby.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Ok ok :) Fair points. Certainly a misjudged post, it was supposed to be taken a little more light-heartedly. But nevertheless, I just watched Cory's reaction video again on the back of these comments and it is a lot more genuine and heartfelt, and far less navel gazing than I remembered with plenty of credit to his team. To the point where I realise Cory is pouring his heart out somewhat, so my shot at the video is indirectly at Cory too. Not that he's going to give any pebbles of shit what I think of course. But I hold my arms up. And I'll get my coat on the way out!
I can understand the sentiment when we've grown up watching Oscar/Grammy/BAFTA speeches of celebrities fellating themselves.
source.gif

But with video games, a high MC tends to translate directly with sales and mindshare more than any other medium. A low score can be devastating to a team, and a high score obviously means the insane amount of work they've put in will pay off.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I can understand the sentiment when we've grown up watching Oscar/Grammy/BAFTA speeches of celebrities fellating themselves.
source.gif

But with video games, a high MC tends to translate directly with sales and mindshare more than any other medium. A low score can be devastating to a team, and a high score obviously means the insane amount of work they've put in will pay off.
I remembered Cory's video being like many of those infamous award phoney acceptance speeches. But that's because I forgot he had filmed himself in real time (with post editing) seeing the scores for the first time. As I said, I've watched the video again and realised the error of my ways.
Grow up man. We really don't need childish comments like that. I wish Era would do a Age Verification and not allow 5 year old's to join.
"Olds". No apostrophe.
Curious to see how the pc version is - with them adding a high rez texture pack it sounds like they really want it to stand out, can't wait for thursday night
Is the texture pack included by default in the Game Pass PC version? I can't seem to find it as a separate download like it is on Steam.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Ninja play Act I... and I had to stop because the entire time it just felt this game was something special and I probably should play it myself.

91-95 is my vote. It looks like the coalition finally figured it all out.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Ninja play Act I... and I had to stop because the entire time it just felt this game was something special and I probably should play it myself.

91-95 is my vote. It looks like the coalition finally figured it all out.

I been watching too and need to turn it off before I spoil it to much.

Can't really enjoy it to much anyway, not a fan of ninja and he isn't earning points with some of his blatant misogyny towards the female characters. He wants to be that way, it's a free country but pretty weird to see someone with pre-release acting that way.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I been watching too and need to turn it off before I spoil it to much.

Can't really enjoy it to much anyway, not a fan of ninja and he isn't earning points with some of his blatant misogyny towards the female characters. He wants to be that way, it's a free country but pretty weird to see someone with pre-release acting that way.

What's he saying?

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly just stuff early on about how Marcus should be punching Jin in the face, and then he had something else related to Kait. I can't scrub through the video on Mixer to see exactly what was said. It was something along the lines of "this is why you can't trust women" several times because he thought Kait should have mentioned something to the other characters.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
im going to be fair and say 88

i have a feeling it might hit 90s tho depending on how good the campaign is.

Noobiwan

Dec 17, 2017
Watched a lot of campaign stuff, was and still am heavily impressed with what i saw. Outstanding production values all around, extremely polished and seems to have a lot of new ideas so far. Gonna score atleast a 89.

Oct 26, 2017
Watched a lot of campaign stuff, was and still am heavily impressed with what i saw. Outstanding production values all around, extremely polished and seems to have a lot of new ideas so far. Gonna score atleast a 89.
this and the arcade game mode is welcoming to new/bad players, so at minimum i see this score. im stil saying * tin foil hat* 96

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
What's wrong with the cover animation? Looks like Kait is sliding to get cover. Well, looks a solid game, but nothing spectacular till now. 81-85 is a good score.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with the cover animation? Looks like Kait is sliding to get cover. Well, looks a solid game, but nothing spectacular till now. 81-85 is a good score.

That's just how Gears plays, you can slide into cover from pretty far away. It can look weird but it's essential to the gameplay.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's just how Gears plays, you can slide into cover from pretty far away. It can look weird but it's essential to the gameplay.

They just need to improve the animation blending for that instance. Eg either add in a few more frames of motion captured animation towards the end to make it actually look like an intended slide, and/or add some more particle or dust kick up to emphasise that it is a slide into cover. Right now the lack of animation blending or frames when sometimes magnetising to cover, gives it a slightly weird look.

I also think the knife slashing melee animation could do with some improvement too, since it lacks impact and just looks like it doesn't connect very realistically.

Aside from that though, animations on the whole are pretty competent and well done.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
They just need to improve the animation blending for that instance. Eg either add in a few more frames of motion captured animation towards the end to make it actually look like an intended slide, and/or add some more particle or dust kick up to emphasise that it is a slide into cover. Right now the lack of animation blending or frames when sometimes magnetising to cover, gives it a slightly weird look.

I also think the knife slashing melee animation could do with some improvement too, since it lacks impact and just looks like it doesn't connect very realistically.

Aside from that though, animations on the whole are pretty competent and well done.

The knife melee not only looks like it lacks impact, but it does on the hit also. You don't feel it. It's slicing in the air even when hitting an enemy, based on my experience in the Tech Test.

It definitely would be nice to add some small details to slamming into cover, it's magnetic so it's gauranteed your ass won't miss it (literally).... but it be cool to add unique animations to doing so.