Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Isn't this effectively Nvidia purchasing a single license for a video game, and serving each respective license to multiple people over time at a profit?

No Nvidia is not selling or renting any PC games on GFN.

Nvidia makes no money whatsoever from any game that is purchased by a GFN user.

Nvidia only charges (in theory, no one has been charged yet) for the rental of its hardware.

I wonder what the legal implications would be if Sony or MS put the competitor hardware into their cloud streaming services and let you stream games you owned. For example, MS puts PS5 hardware into Azure and let's you basically log into your PSN account and stream PS via xcloud.

Plenty of companies do this with mobile devices today. It is legal, if a bit clunky. You can't just toss down a device and expect it to work.

Those aren't stock Xbox One S consoles serving up games in the XCloud blades.

It wasn't their place to do so if they had not secured the rights to distribute access through their paid service

There was no distribution. A consumer installing a piece of software on a rented machine does. Ot equal distribution by the hardware owner.

It's not pro consumer to advocate for unregulated delivery of IP on client devices that IP holders never gave explicit permission to distribute that said IP. This is a similar but inverse situation to Napster vs IP ownership.

So, your position is that emulators are illegal? Your words effectively argue that point.

The fact that they released the service first and asked questions later is pretty terrible.

I can understand the thought process behind consumers expecting to be able to play something they purchase on any platform they choose, but from a Publisher's standpoint - I can understand being upset by a corporation taking a single retail copy of your game and profiting off of it by serving it to thousands of consumers.

Nvidia isn't renting a single copy of a game to thousands. It is renting hardware to thousands of gamers and telling them to BYOG.

You aren't allowed to buy a Blu-ray movie and upload it to YouTube let alone have YouTube charge you to watch it too.

You can do this with AWS. AWS even advertised it as a product for two years. It didn't get dropped because of legal issues. It go dropped because data transfer was expensive and Amazon effectively told people to use S3.

Consumers opted into those restrictions when they continued to buy games despite the license agreements getting more and more restrictive.

If you don't like it, my advice would be to stop buying games with these kinds of restrictions on them.

Activision excepted, the vast majority of the game EULAs have no such restrictions in them.

You keep making this claim, but you never back it up with clear prohibitions in EULAs.

I mean, isn't GeForce Now a platform? Putting a game on a platform without the publisher's permission is a pretty dumb move. I get that you need to acutally own the game to play it but Nvidia is making money off of streaming you other companies' games. Sure, you can use your analogy but an equally analogous scenario is Steam selling a game from Xbox game studios without their permission. As cool as the concept is a publisher should ultimately have control over where their IP are playable.

GFN is not a separate platform. IIRC, it is running on Grid and is comparable to AWS or Azure.

Nvidia offered GForce Now for free?

Yes. And it still does.

I decide to host cloud servers to games i have no ip rights to and charge people for using my servers without me the server owner paying the people who own the rights to said game

Why should you have to pay for software that the person who rents your hardware licenses and installs?

You're not providing the software. They're not paying you for the software.

But your existence here is irrelevant. :)

I think the issues lie between nvidia and the IP holders.

The core issue is between the end users (who have games that didn't have restrictions in the EULA and were using GFN when the games were pulled) and the publishers.

That is already a limited subset of overall consumers, and an even smaller number are likely willing to file an arbitration demand with a publisher over it. Someone doing so in the US though would have a high likelihood of getting the full game cost refunded.

This may also be for most when it comes to publishers. Nvidia may be willing to blacklist games due to its hardware business agreements, but other players in the space won't be as hesitant.

At this point, the only real option Nvidia has to solve this is either make deal with publishers to make sure they get a cut, or opening up the VM approach like Shadow PC does and just rent you a full Windows VM (which will definitely be more expensive, for consumers at least).

You do get a Windows VM with GFN. It is just running Windows in kiosk mode.

As somebody who hasn't used this...

Does Geforce Now download a unique copy of each game for each user? Or do they essentially have every game's files stored on their servers and then just use that?

I could see publishers having an issue if Nvidia is mass storing their games in data centers without a license.

I imagine the fact that games come preinstalled on GeForce Now is a major reason Nvidia doesn't want this to go to court. They're definitely not only removing the games to be nice.

So nobody answered my question on the last page so I'll ask again...

Are games downloaded individually for every user or are they all stored in a large cache on Nvidia's servers and then accessed at runtime?

I very much doubt that Nvidia would legally be able to store these games or copy them to your personal instance. If you have to personally download them to your instance then that makes more sense.

If Nvidia has an agreement with a company (ex Ubisoft) the game data is ready to go and mounted to your VM when needed. So super fast loading.

If Nvidia doesn't have an agreement, you have to download the whole thing over Steam and install it into your VM.

yes they work to make games for years and then someone else is benefiting from my work ?

Dell is benefitting from your work. Dell doesn't pay you a cut for every gaming PC it sells.

Emulator authors benefit from your work. Emulator authors don't pay you a cut everytime someone plays your game in their emulator.

Laws are woefully outdated for digital age.

"Just renting a PC for someone to play over internet" is dangerously close to "just renting a TV/DVR for someone to watch over internet"

Right idea, wrong quoted case.

If you're comparing to TV you should be looking at Cablevision which established that Cloud DVRs are legal in the US. The Aereo decision specifically avoiding overturning that issue. Comcast relied on Cablevision when it launched its Cloud DVR in 2014. The only issue it has was unrelated to content. It was patents with Tivo.

The GFN setup aligns with Cablevision. It does not align with Aereo.

Why would you allow Nvidia to profit off your game without cutting you in on the profits? You put all the effort and risk in and Nvidia freeload off the back of that to enrich themselves? Come on.

You could flip that and say why aren't devs paying Nvidia? Nvidia put all the effort and risk into creating low cost virtual PCs that are super powerful and developers freeload off that to get a bigger potential market.

See how silly that sounds?

A developer is fairly paid when someone purchases a game.

Nvidia is fairly paid when someone rents a GFN PC.

The consumer benefits by combining the two for a better game experience at a lower overall cost.

Yes, this is simply the truth of all this mess.

Anybody can launch a VM, doenload and install steam, log in, download and install their games and play them. Nobody will make anything about it.

But GFN is not that.

That Shadow thing some people are talking about seems to be fine because I as understood it works like stated above

GFN is a full Windows 10 install. The difference between GFN and Shadow (aside from cost) is that GFN runs Windows in kiosk mode.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The value of a streaming service is NOT the ability to stream content, it what content you can stream. It's king on all streaming services. It's why Apple TV, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. invest so heavily in it. It's what gives the service it's value.

Every service you listed provides content as part of the sub fee, so of course they have to pay royalties.

GFN does not provide you content. You have to purchase the content from the publisher and bring it to GFN after you have already paid for it.

why don't you do it then ?

If they had a case why has Nvidia not done it yet ?

oh wait...

1) Someone would need standing.
2) Graphics card business is currently bigger than the streaming business.

And that video said that Sony sued the makers of that emulator. Of course publishers don't want their games being played on other services/devices/etc. if they're not getting a cut. This should not be a surprise.

Sony lost.

That's not really the same. It would be more like you opening a movie theater, letting a customer rent it and then let them watch Blu-rays that they own. Would the studios need a cut then?

You can do this today. (Well you could when theaters were open.)

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Even from a dev point of view someone profiting off your game - advertising your service with they games and these devs don't see a cent ? That's the shady bit here not devs pulling games off. It's hilariously bad business insight from a multi billion dollar company to not think this would be an issue

you get money from the person buying the game on steam.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of publishers that have pulled their games from the service? I think it's time to start calling them on their shit and start boycotting their games and services.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get it (especially since as I mentioned in my previous post, there are problems with stuff like advertising and trademarks and the like regardless in all likeliness at this point), but it's nonetheless so weird there's so much focus on stuff like video game publishers in this thread.

Because if I were to use a service like this personally, it would be for the purpose of avoiding buying a PC powerful enough to play AAA games, not avoiding paying the publishers whose games I already need to own a license for to use it.

That is to say, if anything, by using a service like this, I'd be trying to avoid giving companies like AMD/Intel/Nvidia themselves or hell, even companies like perhaps ones like Dell if we start to factor prebuilt stuff in there hundreds of dollars on various components, not publishers.

Like, how to put this.... I suppose this reminds of piracy arguments in a particular way. Like, how publishers like to argue how each and every pirated copy is a lost sale, when that's not nearly how that works and you also have to consider stuff like how likely they ever were to actually buy the game in the first place and all that.

In the sane way, in all these "poor publisher" posts, like, if not for this service, there seems to be some assumption that like if it didn't exist, then like people would sign up for like Bethesda's own solution AND Microsoft's AND Ubisoft's, AND Activision's, et, etc, etc.

When, no. No, no, no, no, no.

If not for services like this, I'd just such it up and buy a good PC instead. Or a next-gen console.

Certainly not another copy iof the games I already in, or their in streaming services, or anything like that. The point if it for me would be a cheap way if avoiding buying hardware for AAA gaming, with a service that allows me to play the bulk of my Steam library, and none of those other options begin to offer me that.

It's not really a lost sale, because those were options I'd never consider to begin with and aren't alternatives in any way, but it's nonetheless interesting how baked in an assumption it's being treated as that publishers are losing money in some way when, while I can only speak for myself here, it would be hardware I'd be avoiding spending money on here, not publishers games which I already own to begin with or their own streaming services which I was never going to use with OR without this.

But yeah, Friday m that perspective, it's just interesting to me that there's so much focus on stuff like video game publishers in this thread, which, on the one hand, I get for obvious reasons, but on the other, on the other hand if we're going to nonetheless accept that argument as a given regardless...

If we're really going to accept that argument regardless, it nonetheless makes me at least a bit curious about why there aren't more like "but what about Intel et Al" because surely you'd be able to make at least as much of a direct argument that these kind if services are costing companies like Intel potential $$$ by avoiding the need to buy their hardware components by offering a streaming alternative, that Nvidia is buying hardware in other people's behalf costing them potential lost sales in much the same way people argue this is instead costing publishers money through various near s, but almost nothing on that front at all.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
There were, and probably still are, LAN centers that basically let you log in to your own Steam account, download the games, and play on their machines. It's effectively the same thing, but all virtualized and streaming.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
There were, and probably still are, LAN centers that basically let you log in to your own Steam account, download the games, and play on their machines. It's effectively the same thing, but all virtualized and streaming.

And if there was a large LAN center franchise that publishers could have a word with - then I'm sure they would.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Is there a list of publishers that have pulled their games from the service? I think it's time to start calling them on their shit and start boycotting their games and services.
Honest question, would you also boycott pubs that never put their games on there to begin with? Sony for instance. And if your response is "but why would they, when they've got their own streaming service (PsNow)", then why would you be calling for an MS boycott when a large part of they they're pulling their games is cause they want to use their own service (xCloud). I don't get it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
why would you be calling for an MS boycott when a large part of they they're pulling their games is cause they want to use their own service (xCloud). I don't get it.
Because streaming XB1 versions in 720p to Android phones, which I don't have, is not a comparable alternative to streaming maxed out PC versions in 1080p to a PC or TV. They're taking away something great and replace it with something crappy that I can't even use. And they already got my money, twice. I think it's in my right to be cranky.

I don't know all games that was there to begin with and which are infact removed, it would be hilarious if it was Minecraft when it's available literally everywhere else you can imagine, makes the whole thing a petty move just to help this snowball rolling. They don't lose any money on this.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't know all games that was there to begin with and which are infact removed, it would be hilarious if it was Minecraft when it's available literally everywhere else you can imagine, makes the whole thing a petty move just to help this snowball rolling. They don't lose any money on this.

Sunset Overdrive and Minecraft are the two MS titles I remember seeing on GFN.

T0kenAussie

Banned
Jan 15, 2020
Because streaming XB1 versions in 720p to Android phones, which I don't have, is not a comparable alternative to streaming maxed out PC versions in 1080p to a PC or TV. They're taking away something great and replace it with something crappy that I can't even use. And they already got my money, twice. I think it's in my right to be cranky.

huh, i thought streaming services wouldnt develop fanboy culture for at least another year or two but here we are.

1) MS services aren't out of beta yet so its hard to say what the launch quality will be like.
2) Iphones are in the testflight beta aswell but unfortunately apple have rated test flights to 10000 devices so your on a waiting list if you want to play there
3) its not up to you to decide how a publisher chooses to distribute their games. and unless you can supply relevant financial / legal protection or business docs that show they don't lose money I'm just going to assume you don't know what your talking about.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sunset Overdrive and Minecraft are the two MS titles I remember seeing on GFN.
Lol then it's just a bs move to jump on the bandwagon and take a dig at a scarred competitor, it's like "Oh cool we can be on that list of removed publishers as well, lets do it!". This is not about losing money. How many versions of Minecraft do I have to buy before they're satisfied? Out of all games I've had during my 35 years as a gamer Minecraft is easily the one I've rebought the most. But they need their cut! lol /s

Last edited:

Vestal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Should be renamed to "GeForce Then"

they really dropped the ball in the business side of things.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Right idea, wrong quoted case.

If you're comparing to TV you should be looking at Cablevision which established that Cloud DVRs are legal in the US. The Aereo decision specifically avoiding overturning that issue. Comcast relied on Cablevision when it launched its Cloud DVR in 2014. The only issue it has was unrelated to content. It was patents with Tivo.

The GFN setup aligns with Cablevision. It does not align with Aereo.

Not really?

Cablevision, as is Comcast, are cable tv companies, which means they' have license for that content.
While Nvidia is just unrelated third party like Aereo. And isn't licensing content from publish, but using Steam/Epics licenses.

Oct 28, 2017
Geforce Now isn't just dying. It's getting murdered.
It's also sad that it is pretty much the only well marketed streaming service available in my region.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
1) MS services aren't out of beta yet so its hard to say what the launch quality will be like.
2) Iphones are in the testflight beta aswell but unfortunately apple have rated test flights to 10000 devices so your on a waiting list if you want to play there
Which means that it's right now a worse service which I can't use, which is what I said. If I would talk about the future I would say that Geforce Now had 4K and ray-tracing at 120hz or whatever. Anything can improve in the future, including Geforce Now, Stadia, PSNow, etc.

3) its not up to you to decide how a publisher chooses to distribute their games. and unless you can supply relevant financial / legal protection or business docs that show they don't lose money I'm just going to assume you don't know what your talking about.
Or you could you show me a document that shows how MS is losing money on selling Minecraft.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Honest question, would you also boycott pubs that never put their games on there to begin with? Sony for instance. And if your response is "but why would they, when they've got their own streaming service (PsNow)", then why would you be calling for an MS boycott when a large part of they they're pulling their games is cause they want to use their own service (xCloud). I don't get it.

Did anyone ever say what Xbox games are actually on it?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this again, but there are very likely licensing issues attributed to a third party cloud-hosted VM solution. We see the same thing in commercial software where special licensing agreement is required where someone can buy in one region and consume in multiple other.

That's just an example, but it's likely not as straightforward as it sounds from a legal standpoint.

But also nVidia profits, here, by leveraging the brands that are on it but without compensating those brands. Even if legal concerns were sorted anyone can surely see the issues with that.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What games would Sony put on this PC service?

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

DrScissorsMD

Banned
Jan 19, 2019

It might currently be Android/720p only but that's cause the service hasn't even officially left beta/launched yet. It's obviously going to get better and be on more devices, that's the whole point of the service.
Did anyone ever say what Xbox games are actually on it?
I've got no idea.
What games would Sony put on this PC service?
Any of the games that you can currently play on PC with PsNow.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
They're also removing games due to low usage. I was not happy to see SpyParty get taken down last week.
Apologies for replying to you waaaaay late and well after the thread has moved on, but, can you (or anyone else) elaborate any more on this?
Like, have Nvidia said outright they were removing the games due to low usage? or was it actually due to developer request?
I did a quick search and only found the Geforce Forum post that just said "The following games will be removed" and then listed a bunch of games I'd barely heard of, with Spy Party right at the end, with no reason given.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

It would be quicker to make a list of publishers that haven't pulled their games from the service at this point.

As far as publishers that have pulled their games, as far as I can remember...

Activision Blizzard
Bethesda
Codemasters
Warner Bros
Xbox Game Studios
Klei
Capcom
Konami
Square Enix
EA
Rockstar

Last edited:

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Presumably the titles they have available via Steam. I don't think the Microsoft Store worked with it ever.

So probably Gears 5, Halo etc? I dunno, I only access those via Game Pass so could never check.

It's just I have it and I can't remember seeing any. Not that I searched for every game.

The articles don't say either. When it was 2k that went the articles mentioned Civilization, Borderlands etc.

Still there until 24th so was going to see if I had any and see how they run.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder, if this service was provided by Valve/steam would they have to pay anything extra to the publishers?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder, if this service was provided by Valve/steam would they have to pay anything extra to the publishers?
It's entirely feasible that Valve will integrate some kind of service like this into Steam.

I doubt they will manage it as poorly as Nvidia though. I would guess that it'll probably be opt in for existing games, and opt out for future games, with terms to the steam publishing agreement updated to account for it.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely feasible that Valve will integrate some kind of service like this into Steam.

I doubt they will manage it as poorly as Nvidia though. I would guess that it'll probably be opt in for existing games, and opt out for future games, with terms to the steam publishing agreement updated to account for it.
I'm not really seeing how any of this is Nvidia's fault. They tried to provide a useful service to consumers and a bunch of greedy "Me Too" publishers are trying to enforce (or even redefine) overreaching EULAs to fuck their customers over.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I dont think this has been posted already, but the situation with Klei and the Don't Starve games is interesting.
Quotes from JoeW. One of the Admins at https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/117512-geforce-now-game-removal/
We did not request for our games to be pulled from GeForce Now. To my knowledge the only thing we did was decline to be "signed up for a marketing and promotion agreement for the service." for Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together.

I believe they did change to an opt-in system rather than just having any game on steam available through their service and that may have resulted in our games no longer being available. However, we have never had any arrangement to be part of their service as far as I am aware.
Then there were a couple questions, so he re-clarified a few points:
Sorry. Let me clarify.

The last discussion with them was an offer to discuss "marketing and promotion" for our game on their service, to which we declined.

We decline marketing and promotion from different places all the time for various reasons, but the point was that we did not remove our games from their service. Simply put, they put us up there and then they took it back down.

We weren't involved in the decision to be part of GeForce Now and we were not part of the decision to be removed from it.

So........
A delightfully massive clusterfuck all round then (and definitely not one you can blame the publisher for either).

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
To the people saying just let GFN change it's marketing scheme and advertise itself as a VM service, you don't think those same publishers would throw a hissy fit if the service was popular?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really seeing how any of this is Nvidia's fault. They tried to provide a useful service to consumers and a bunch of greedy "Me Too" publishers are trying to enforce (or even redefine) overreaching EULAs to fuck their customers over.
Then I suggest you read the very simple explanations of how it is Nvidia's fault that have been posted throughout this thread.

I predicted this exact outcome. I have no idea why Nvidia, a multi-billion corporation, couldn't.

Last edited:

commish

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then I suggest you read the very simply explanations of how it is Nvidia's fault that have been posted throughout this thread.

I predicted this exact outcome. I have no idea why Nvidia, a multi-billion corporation, couldn't.

Yes, this was always obviously the concern from the start. Nvidia knew this, of course. I wonder if they have a long term plan in place, eg have companies pull their games and then Nvidia challenges it in court. It'd be an interesting case with far reaching implications across all media (and software). If a consumer buys a video game, can publishers control how they play it?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Not really?

Cablevision, as is Comcast, are cable tv companies, which means they' have license for that content.
While Nvidia is just unrelated third party like Aereo. And isn't licensing content from publish, but using Steam/Epics licenses.

You really need to read the decisions.

Cablevision established cloud DVRs as legal based on who is making the copies (the consumer is directing a computer to do so) and who is performing the work (again the consumer).

Aereo was narrowly decided on a carve out in the '76 copyright law based on a "look-and-feel" test.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Apologies for replying to you waaaaay late and well after the thread has moved on, but, can you (or anyone else) elaborate any more on this?
Like, have Nvidia said outright they were removing the games due to low usage? or was it actually due to developer request?
I did a quick search and only found the Geforce Forum post that just said "The following games will be removed" and then listed a bunch of games I'd barely heard of, with Spy Party right at the end, with no reason given.
The source is this thread:

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
The source is this thread:

Thanks, I see it.

And with that, fuck this service.

I was a fan of it during the beta phase, despite the wonky connection and the occasional queues, and the rather hacked-together approach they took towards the interface. This however, fuck this.
Its one thing to have publishers tell you to take their game down because you naively failed to get permission (Its also pretty dumb for a company the size of Nvidia, but whatever), but to deliberately remove a game just because not enough people were playing it is......... why? Why would you even do that? Are Nvidia that short on server space? in a fucking data-centre? Or can they just not be arsed with the maintenance? (because patching games via steam is hard I guess).

There are people in this forum who bought games solely to play via GFN, and now they cant, and now not only are games not guaranteed to remain on the service due to publishers getting pissy, they may also get removed because Nvidia just doesn't feel like hosting them any more.

Absolutely inexcusable.

(PS: And just to be clear, I will be equally, if not even more pissed off at Google if games ever get removed from Stadia. They have given assurances that this wont happen, but you can never be fully sure of the future)

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
This thread got me wondering if TV manufacturers pay movie companies, sports leagues and television show companies? A TVs sole purpose and selling point is to consume other people's hard work.