• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
At this point, KP is making a horror game... 99,99%
If you mean because Guillermo Del Toro was teasing Silent Hills at TGA, this confirms he straight-up wasn't. This also isn't the first time he's done this:

www.polygon.com

Guillermo del Toro: Silent Hills cancellation 'makes no sense'

In an interview with Bloody Disgusting, Guillermo del Toro opened up about his feelings on Silent Hills, the now-defunct video game collaboration with Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima. "Makes...

It's possible that Kojima, without Del Toro, is working on a horror game, but it's not Silent Hill and there are other reports that he's making Death Stranding 2. Couple this with Video Game Chronicle and other insiders contradicting Gematsu, and it doesn't look good.

(Fixed typos)

Last edited:

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
"It's just one of those things in my life that makes no sense," del Toro said about the canceled Silent Hills, which saw del Toro collaborating with Hideo Kojima while the Metal Gear creator was still working for Konami. "I kind of just wanted to tickle the ribs of Konami, because I don't understand. That was so perfect, what we were going to do was so enthralling."

Much respect to GDT, but it makes perfect sense really. Silent Hills would have cost them a fortune, and Konami wanted to move to more profitable ventures like mobile games rather than another Kojima money pit, particularly after the MGS5/Fox Engine debacle. Not complicated. This just sounds like denial.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Guillermo Del Toro explained his TGA comment on a podcast and it really was just a jab at Konami like many of us suggested. He even repeats one of his earlier statements about Konami from 2015.

www.gamespot.com

Silent Hill Game Awards Tease Was Meant To "Tickle The Ribs Of Konami," Del Toro Says

When asked on a recent podcast if the director was involved in any Silent Hill-related projects, del Toro said, "No, not at all."

Del Toro also reiterates that he has retired from making video games because of Silent Hills.

You are a brave man to do this bump, Dark lol

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all play yourselves for fools with this. You'll get your Silent Hill game from a developer not worthy of the legacy like you typically do and you'll like it, dammit.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Y'all play yourselves for fools with this. You'll get your Silent Hill game from a developer not worthy of the legacy like you typically do and you'll like it, dammit.
The problem has always been... That we do like it...

6r3ol1p7lc451.jpg

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
You are a brave man to do this bump, Dark lol
My fingers are crossed that his next game is horror. There is an obvious untapped demand there and it would be awesome to see his weird auteur "outside of the box" ideas translated to the genre with Junji Ito involved. P.T. hit all of the right notes with its thick creepy atmosphere and cryptic puzzles.

His next game might be Death Stranding 2, which is okay (I liked the first one), but a Kojima horror game would really get everyone fired up.

The suspense of "What's going with Silent Hill?" is devastating, though. I really hope we get confirmations next summer.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's really a shame Konami made GDT retire from games but at the same time if that was enough for him to retire I, dunno. One of his friends who really respects the guy has his own studio and hell, even appeared as a character in a game, if there was ever a time to be involved it would be now. Unless Kojima doesn't want him involved but I can't see that being the case, only way I could see that is now that Kojima has free reign he really wants to be a sole auteur.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
It's really a shame Konami made GDT retire from games but at the same time if that was enough for him to retire I, dunno. One of his friends who really respects the guy has his own studio and hell, even appeared as a character in a game, if there was ever a time to be involved it would be now. Unless Kojima doesn't want him involved but I can't see that being the case, only way I could see that is now that Kojima has free reign he really wants to be a sole auteur.

GDT has an active career as a film Director and Producer as well, his latest film just came out. It's probably more that he doesn't want to take the time to do it from his 'real' work after that experience more than anything.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

I suspect a large part of this is because, as Lord Fanny implied, GDT isn't so much a game developer as a creative and artists who focuses primarily on his visual and cinematic work. His involvement in Silent Hills was likely a result of his established relationship with Kojima and the collaborative prospect of working on a game together that was, at the time, greenlit by Konami. So the attitude from GDT would be less "I want to get into games" and more "My friend is a game developer and he has this amazing idea, we've talked a lot about building it together, and we're gonna see if we can". With Konami's relationship breakdown it probably exposed a lot of the instability and bullshit game production goes through, and GDT has faced routinely in cinema too, and with his priorities on the latter as his main source of creative expression he likely just doesn't have the drive to invest himself in the game industry.

That being said, I don't ever really feel these are hard line cases, and if the stars aligned where someone like Kojima had fully secured funding and stability for a project that was cooked up from day one with GDT, who in turn had felt a window in his cinematic career open to opportunities elsewhere, then it could happen. But since Silent Hills GDT has been super busy with his cinematic output, so I can imagine he just doesn't have the time or motivation to put his own art on hold to work on something else in an entirely different medium.

Still, much like yourself, I'd love to see it happen one day.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
The other game he worked on for years with THQ was cancelled too. Why would an Oscar winning director keep bothering with the game industry when it keeps fucking him over?

Oct 29, 2017
The other game he worked on for years with THQ was cancelled too. Why would an Oscar winning director keep bothering with the game industry when it keeps fucking him over?

Yeah, I think the game he was working on at THQ and Volition was named Insane.

Edit: I just listened to the podcast with Del Toro on it. One could make the argument he was being very selective and tentative with his words. On a technicality, one could make an argument where Del Toro is not denying that a Silent Hill game is being made or that Kojima might be involved. The argument would then logically follow that such would not be the time or place to confirm a game's existence.

But me personally, I still don't think Kojima has anything to do with a Silent Hill game. It's really far fetched regardless of what Del Toro said or didn't say.

Last edited:

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
I don't believe Hideo Kojima is involved at all. Since it's a joint production, hopefully an awesome Japanese developer is heavily involved and it's not just Bloober Team working with Masahiro Ito while Sony publishes.

I want Sony and a non-Bloober developer to be actively involved. I love that Ito is involved, though.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I don't believe Hideo Kojima is involved at all. Since it's a joint production, hopefully an awesome Japanese developer is heavily involved and it's not just Bloober Team working with Masahiro Ito with Sony publishing.

I want Sony and a non-Bloober developer to be actively involved. I love that Ito is involved, though.
I love your new avatar

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like Capcom or Koei to me going off gut feeling. Hideo is busy with his own crap probably.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I've never really believed the Kojima aspect of the SH rumor because there are too many gaps and inconsistencies that no one who is allegedly 'in the know' can explain, and there has been a lot of false leads that end with foots in mouth (the Ito comment that blew up and then ended up being nothing despite claims that Ito was 'in the room the whole time' or whatever).

But if we're talking about a smaller VR project that's being worked on by multiple studios and KojiPro happens to be one and Kojima is a Producer and got to throw out some of his unused PT ideas even if he doesn't directly work on the game? I can sort of see that, and I can see how that would morph into 'Kojima is developing a SH game!' in a game of telephone, telegraph, tell-an-insider.

I still have doubts, though, tbh, but all of that would make the pieces fall into place

Status
Not open for further replies.