• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
More at the link: https://gematsu.com/2018/10/visual-...aystation-hindered-by-recent-sony-regulations

Quick background:
Light, the studio behind Dies irae: Amantes amentes, is developing a PlayStation version (PlayStation 4 or PS Vita was not specifically clarified) of its January 2017-released ages 18 and up visual novel Silverio Trinity. Console versions of ages 18 and up titles are generally edited to meet the requirements of platform holders and ratings boards, but recent regulations imposed by Sony Interactive Entertainment have taken a stricter approach to such edits compared to the past. Silverio Trinity is one of several titles to be affected.

Some of what the representative of the studio said: (More in the link at the top)
The following dialogue comes from the Niconico live stream of a recent event held by Light (transcript via Hachima Kikou)

Light representative: "Right now Sony seems to be moving toward disallowing ports of ages 18 and up titles worldwide. And this games is ages 18 and up, so it's being subjected to a very strict inspection, and we're getting all these questions. And like 'Please write everything in English.' So we're in the middle of answering those now, and we're not sure if we'll get approved or not. It's terrible, but in any case, development is done.

"So internally it's complete, but there are things we can't do without connecting to Sony's servers, like Trophies. So everyone is like, 'When will we be able to add Trophies?'

"And we have a guy who is in charge of translating everything into English and sending it to Sony, but it's like, 'Don't you guys understand Japanese?' At present we're thinking we can release early next year if it passes Sony's inspection… And if Sony says no, then I guess we'll just find somewhere else to put it."

[…]

Moderator: "So you're waiting on approval."

Light representative: "Yeah, waiting for Sony's approval. If we put it on Steam or wherever, we could be selling it next week. But at the moment we have an agreement with Sony, so… We submitted it with this agreement and yet we're waiting for approval… Pretty awful, right?"

Go to the link for more info including a list of games already affected and/or could be affected in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, again. You'd think they would have japanese reps to help handle this instead of just forcing developers to respond back in english.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Light representative: "Yeah, waiting for Sony's approval. If we put it on Steam or wherever, we could be selling it next week. But at the moment we have an agreement with Sony, so… We submitted it with this agreement and yet we're waiting for approval… Pretty awful, right?"

This sucks.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Woof, terrible look.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
"Yeah, waiting for Sony's approval. If we put it on Steam or wherever, we could be selling it next week. But at the moment we have an agreement with Sony, so… We submitted it with this agreement and yet we're waiting for approval… Pretty awful, right?"

Playstation is much bigger than Steam right now* so it still makes sense for them to wait on Sony, even if they're being ridiculous. Hopefully, PC/Steam takes off more in Japan in the near future so they can just pass on dealing with Sony's nonsense.

Edit: *In Japan.

Last edited:

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is just trying to ruin all their goodwill that they established earlier this generation. WTF Sony, Why?

I don't have any interest in playing these kinds of visual novels or games, but this is a terrible outlook either way.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the past thread, this procedure is terrible for many different reasons for both parts. This probably won't affect bigger companies but many small or medium companies on japan will have problem to release their games. Even more in that example where this company is waiting weeks for their game to be approved.

I'm really curious as to what will happen but in their place I would abandon PS4/Vita to go to Switch/Steam much like the PS fanbase at Japan is already talking about.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Sony have made a special force to censor.

I think the bigger issue here is that it's basically setting up a second ratings board with about as much baggage, costs, and delay but also with non-local market influence. It'd be like the ESRB rating a game for Japan, and preventing it's release in Japan.

This undermines the ratings boards or doubles the burden beyond logical market reaches, and demanding a language other than said market's.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the bigger issue here is that it's basically setting up a second ratings board with about as much baggage, costs, and delay but also with non-local market influence. It'd be like the ESRB rating a game for Japan, and preventing it's release in Japan.

This undermines the ratings boards or doubles the burden beyond logical market reaches, and demanding a language other than said market's.
well said. if a game passes rating, it's really not the platform holder's business to object to it

Good. These kinds of games have no place in our society.
what kind of games?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the last thread about this topic I'm not against trying to cut down on unneeded sexualisation, especially of minors, but the way Sony is going about this is harmful to the legion of small developers that have largely been focused entirely on Playstation this last decade.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Really dont like that Sony is becoming arrogant in this regard recently.

Even Nintendo doesnt care anymore lmao

Good. These kinds of games have no place in our society.
5867.jpg

Thanks for protecting me person with underage waifu avatar.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they force these small Japanese studios to write everything out in English? What possible reason could there be for that?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and these outlets need to follow Sony steps in preventing these games from being made in the first place (I'm talking about lecher games with underage female characters)
Alright, sure. But the game involved for this article does not feature those and still has to go through it? Even despite having a deal with Sony to launch on the platform first? Like it's not happening solely for creepy NSFW sexy games.

And unless you're sort of a salt the earth kind of guy, I don't think this is the best way to combat anything moving forward.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they force these small Japanese studios to write everything out in English? What possible reason could there be for that?
I'm guessing this move was brought forward by western branches of Sony given that it started with games getting censored and banned in the west and everything is going through them.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation is much bigger than Steam right now so it still makes sense for them to wait on Sony, even if they're being ridiculous. Hopefully, PC/Steam takes off more in Japan in the near future so they can just pass on dealing with Sony's nonsense.

How does it makes sense ?
It's naive to think these audiences are overlapping.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and these outlets need to follow Sony steps in preventing these games from being made in the first place (I'm talking about lecher games with underage female characters)

Oh okay. *Googles your name and browses trophies.* So you platinumed Criminal Girls and 4 Senran Kagura games. Jesus christ. Case closed! [Post corrected for error.]

Banning lolis is one thing. Pedo shit shouldn't exist in the first place. Should be illegal everywhere - but 18+ content not being allowed in Japan itself when they seem to be pretty okay with it and dictated by a rating system not in their own country seems kinda fucked. Especially if they originally had a deal in place with said devs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a reputable outlet publishes this story. This has been happening for a while even though only a few English sites cover this issue. It is crazy that Sony are trying to censor visual novels while steam basically giving the ok to visual novels with adult content.

From the way I see it, there are two main issues from this censorship attempt:
1. As Vena has said, they make a separate rating board for the platform when ESRB and CERO exists.
2. So far, it is salient that the "rules" are directed against niche Japanese games ONLY, and these arbitrary rules will never be disclosed. Gore and sexual content are no stranger to western titles, but whatever standards they are following, these western games are going to be exempted from such censorship. I swear they will not impose the same standards on Cyberpunk 2077 and Red Dead Redemption. Basically, they are classifying games into "ok" and "has to be changed" category based on their own standards, which are obviously double standards.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
How does it makes sense ?
It's naive to think these audiences are overlapping.

What do you mean? These types of games have already found a decent audience in the West on Steam so there is somewhat of an incentive to develop with Steam in mind from the get go. And the VN audience is also mostly already on PC in Japan, just not on Steam. So it makes a lot of sense to me for audience and developers to move to Steam if Sony is giving them problems.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is the game from OP like that or are you just assuming?
and i agree, those games shouldn't be allowed, but that should be the job of rating boards to refuse to classify them and then they'll be, by default, unable to be published on consoles.

Better safe than sorry.
lol what does that mean? all games should be treated as if they sexualize minors until proven otherwise?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your avatar is from a game where a underage character literally wears S&M gear

Hell I see more reason to ban Persona 5 than this looking at Silverio content.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh okay. *Googles your name and browses trophies.* So you platinumed Root Letter 4 times. Okay, this looks like a visual novel. Hmm.. VN database says this has sexual content! Gasp! I wonder how old the girls are in this game?

Not to mention 5 Senran Kagura games and Criminal Girls. Literally the exact type of games they consider to not have a place in society.

I'm guessing it was just a troll post.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Just release this stuff on platforms where there are no such problems.

These specific devs have a temporary exclusivity deal with Sony, I guess. That's why this situation is messed up. These games really should just go up on Steam when they can until this whole situation gets sorted out though.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

Oh okay. *Googles your name and browses trophies.* So you platinumed Root Letter 4 times. Okay, this looks like a visual novel. Hmm.. VN database says this has sexual content! Gasp! I wonder how old the girls are in this game?

Your avatar is from a game where a underage character literally wears S&M gear

Awkward-meme.jpg

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): Trolling, history of similar behavior, accumulated infractions
Not to mention 5 Senran Kagura games and Criminal Girls. Literally the exact type of games they consider to not have a place in society.

I'm guessing it was just a troll post.

I have since saw an error of my way and am a male feminist now

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO, come through with the receipts

40dc19a3-6cde-48fc-9bvpfn0.gif

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I look forward to reading the fanfare and praise when Sony decides to start using the Chinese Ministry of Education guidelines to approve games in the West.