UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Wraith is totally The Burst from FURI

maxresdefault.jpg

And I'm totally okay with that

pHEFbay.jpg

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The narrative structure of this story telling so far is sticking to a certain point of view. Basically, we are following the main cast members. Within this structure, you don't show anything those main cast members aren't witnessing. We now know of somebody in Union territory who's point of view we will probably be following, and thus learn more about the Union through him. The lack of world building isn't a flaw. It's just that within this narrative style, you don't get to be an all knowing third party observer who gets to look in on all sides. You only get to follow a small set of characters and see what they are involved in.
I think even from the characters' perspectives this is stuff that we could have learned. These people get briefings before every mission that could flesh that kind of stuff out. Again, I'm not talking about the inner workings of the Union, just basic stuff about the war.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I think even from the characters' perspectives this is stuff that we could have learned. These people get briefings before every mission that could flesh that kind of stuff out. Again, I'm not talking about the inner workings of the Union, just basic stuff about the war.
That will, one hopes, be addressed next season. Considering how compact this season was and all of the character and plot it had to address in a short period of time, I'd say there was not room for that information. The most important stuff was focused on up front. We didn't really need big picture info yet. I'm not going to worry about the absence of world building until we get deeper in. People get impatient, want all the info up front. I like a slow burn.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I normally don't watch a lot of anime (is five episodes into MHA), but this caught my eye. Checked out the first episode, and the action was really solid, and I'm not that much into mechs and thought it could be a little too much, but the character interactions and relationships kept me invested. Especially in Julian Chase and Miranda Worth. Like the side characters here as well. My main problem is that I don't know who the Union is, or what's really at stake or what they want. Btw, when those colored robots turned up at the end I was sold. I also really like how they handled Chase's arc and the reunion between Chase and Worth touched me. I'll check out episode two as well.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Watched ep. 2 and the hall fight was kickass. Man this is the kinda action I like seeing in my animes X3

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the series can be bought in digital or bluray form?

There's no RWBY vol 6 Blu Ray yet, either. Last year, RWBY vol 6 was released in June, so I'd probably guess July-August for gen:Lock, although it could be moved up if they want to sell copies at RTX at the beginning of July.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thanks. The ver. On crunchy looks anything but 800p to me and id like to own a digital or br ver. Of the series.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Guess people weren't subscribing to RT's site to watch the show.

At least people who didn't subscribe (like me) will be able to watch beyond the first episode at least.
It was on Crunchyroll as well. Also VRV by proxy of RT being a part of that. But it makes sense that they are finally extending it to cable TV. They spent waaay too much money on the series to not get it out everywhere.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Fantastic news I was a madman ranting about this show trying to give people Crunchyroll 48 hour passes to try the series out. Hopefully that Toonami bump is going to be huge.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
It was on Crunchyroll as well. Also VRV by proxy of RT being a part of that. But it makes sense that they are finally extending it to cable TV. They spent waaay too much money on the series to not get it out everywhere.
Ah shit, I legit forgot it got onto Crunchyroll. Though yeah, this show couldn't have been cheap so getting it on anything possible to recoup cost is a good idea.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge surprise. I really liked Gen:Lock, but it was clearly very expensive to make and the fact that the show didn't get a second season after the first aired was telling.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
There's an off chance that it's been moved to a WB studio mor equipped to work at that scale, but it doesn't look good right now.

OP
OP
TheChungusAmongUs
Oct 25, 2017
HBO MAX first is interesting

Guessing it had to move since the rumours said the first season went way over budget.

And considering the founders of RT somewhat stepped down to a more behind the scenes role to create shows for other networks, this move makes sense.

My only problem is I don't think HBO Max is in Canada. Don't know if Crave will carry it

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to ask, but what's the easiest way to watch Season 1, on an Xbox, hooked up to a 65in television?

Always on the look out for more Mecha action and the son and I are wrapping up Gundam - 08th MS Team via Hulu :)

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Fantastic, glad we are getting a season 2 I really hope it gets more eyes on it. The concept is really unique and when the plot unfolded it really worked well.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing it had to move since the rumours said the first season went way over budget.

And considering the founders of RT somewhat stepped down to a more behind the scenes role to create shows for other networks, this move makes sense.

My only problem is I don't think HBO Max is in Canada. Don't know if Crave will carry it

HBO and Rooster Teeth are both owned by AT&T.

This isn't a "Bayonetta 2 Bailout", this is AT&T using content they already own to help push their other new service.

Season 2 info
OP
OP
TheChungusAmongUs
Oct 25, 2017
Feels weird bumping this thread almost a year later, but they've announced info for Season 2

variety.com

Michael B. Jordan Series ‘Gen:Lock’ Announces Season 2 Writers Room Supporting #ChangeHollywood Inclusion Initiative (EXCLUSIVE)

HBO Max, Rooster Teeth increased behind the scenes diversity to support Michael B. Jordan and Outlier Society's #ChangeHollywood initiative.

- New writers room
- Daniel Dominguez, Maasai Singleton, Evan Narcisse, Kristle Peluso and Gavin Hignight
- Big push from Micheal B Jordan's #changehollywood movement to include people from different ethnicities

Synopsis for season 2

On a dying Earth in the midst of a now unstoppable climate collapse, two utterly distinct visions for the future of the human race have come to dominate: The Polity and the Union. The future of humanity, if it is to have one, rests in some form of mechanization or digitization. On opposing sides of this fundamental debate, the Polity and the Union remained locked in a brutal and unforgiving war…

A war the Polity is losing, despite the heroic efforts of their greatest soldiers, the Gen:Lock team – Chase, Cammie, Yaz, Kazu and Val, who continue to upload their minds to their Holon units and fight for their vision of a better future on the front lines.

As we meet the figurehead of the Union — Brother Tate — and the citizens for whom he spills Polity blood, the nature of the conflict between the two sides will be seen in a whole new light. A light that, for Chase, will test his loyalty to the Polity… as he digs deeper into the nature of the war and realizes nothing he thought is what it seems…

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man I totally forgot about this show, still need to finish Season 1. How was it received overall?

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
As much as I loved the first season, don't tell me we're gonna both sides a fascist, intellectually-stagnant regime that unleashes flesh-eating nanobots on civilians?

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
As much as I loved the first season, don't tell me we're gonna both sides a fascist, intellectually-stagnant regime that unleashes flesh-eating nanobots on civilians?
Considering what the Union is based on? Nah, I think the point is more just showing how the Union actually functions in more detail.

And probably show the Polity being on some level guilty for not dealing with Climate Change sooner, being way to in bed with Business's like Hargrave

One of Season 1's only real flaws was the Union not really getting any development as a faction at all.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Man I totally forgot about this show, still need to finish Season 1. How was it received overall?
I think it was received well enough, but the biggest issue people had is the Union is barely explained.
Yeah, my only real issue with it was that it didn't give enough context for the conflict or explain what was actually at stake on a high level. Seems like season 2 is going to rectify that though.

OP
OP
TheChungusAmongUs
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like I probably should bump this thread since season 2 is still happening but the animation is apparently being done by the studio who animated Dragon Prince

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the first ep of season 2 and, oof, that was rough. It feels like the budget was cut to a quarter of season 1's. It feels like an entirely different show. Not sure I'm gonna be able to finish this, which is such a shame considering how much I enjoyed season 1.