thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Finally, a Clone Wars cartoon that doesn't require Era to provide me a chart to tell me which episodes to watch and an essay about why the show is good!
I've never seen this in HQ before. It looks very nice.

That chart with the 45 episodes they tell you to skip 💀💀💀

Just watch all of them. You can watch them in release order which means getting your vegetables out of the way or watch them in timeline order which means whenever you do come across an episode you don't like there's a decent chance you'll like the next episode. I think the number of episodes that are actively difficult to watch bad are low. There are a lot of kind of whatever episodes but even when the show isn't at its best it is generally a pretty easy watch.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Nice! One of few pieces of Star Wars media I care about! Cause it was really damn good.

Now release it on blu-ray so I can get it and never loose sight of again!

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I had no clue these DVDs were valuable, I've had mine sitting on my shelf since it was released. Well too damn late now lol

Oct 29, 2017
I only watched the first few minutes on Disney+, and right off the bat, something seems . . . off about this release. For starters, and maybe this isn't a good comparison, but the colors seem less saturated than even something like this from YouTube:

Additionally, when the scene transitions between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, you can hear the Star Wars end credits theme (which was what originally played at the end of each micro-episode). I don't know if it was like that in the original DVD release (or any of the marathon runs from back in the day).

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Just watch all of them. You can watch them in release order which means getting your vegetables out of the way or watch them in timeline order which means whenever you do come across an episode you don't like there's a decent chance you'll like the next episode. I think the number of episodes that are actively difficult to watch bad are low. There are a lot of kind of whatever episodes but even when the show isn't at its best it is generally a pretty easy watch.

Nah, show is still bad. The fact that Ahsoka is an underage girl and is underdressed next to her male counter parts and is subservient to them (Never going to find a woman written by a man, also calling a man "Master" okay.) makes TCW a shitshow.

Tartakovsky's show was the real shit.

Io9 are a day late with the april fools. Both volumes were uploaded in the movie format, and the individual episodes are so freakin' short there is just no need for this other than clickbait.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I only watched the first few minutes on Disney+, and right off the bat, something seems . . . off about this release. For starters, and maybe this isn't a good comparison, but the colors seem less saturated than even something like this from YouTube:

Additionally, when the scene transitions between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, you can hear the Star Wars end credits theme (which was what originally played at the end of each micro-episode). I don't know if it was like that in the original DVD release (or any of the marathon runs from back in the day).

Watched parts from both volumes on my TV last night comparing it with the YT videos and it's a massive visual boost. I'm pretty sure this is how it's intended to look and the colours if anything looked too punchy/contrasty on the YT upload.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, show is still bad. The fact that Ahsoka is an underage girl and is underdressed next to her male counter parts and is subservient to them (Never going to find a woman written by a man, also calling a man "Master" okay.) makes TCW a shitshow.

Tartakovsky's show was the real shit.

I don't think my comment really justified such an aggressive response but I get that passion can be a hell of a thing. I definitely have my problems with The Clone Wars (some of which you touched on, some of which others have touched on) but taken as a whole I think it's a great show and by the end Ashoka is a great character who very much isn't subservient.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing Tartakovsky's Clone Wars. Even though I was a fan of his work I didn't watch it at the time as I was really not into the prequels. I'm still not but I've come to realize that pretty much anything that wasn't the movies or games that takes place during the prequels period of time is pretty great.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't think my comment really justified such an aggressive response but I get that passion can be a hell of a thing. I definitely have my problems with The Clone Wars (some of which you touched on, some of which others have touched on) but taken as a whole I think it's a great show and by the end Ashoka is a great character who very much isn't subservient.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing Tartakovsky's Clone Wars. Even though I was a fan of his work I didn't watch it at the time as I was really not into the prequels. I'm still not but I've come to realize that pretty much anything that wasn't the movies or games that takes place during the prequels period of time is pretty great.

I apologise if I came off as aggressive towards you, but I am fed up with Dave Filoni worship. I have been accused on these very boards of sexism because I criticised his writing. And it has all just worn extremely thin, especially considering every thread that pops up about TCW inevitably gets THE chart telling people to skip half of the episodes.

The fact that his main contribution to Star Wars is Ahsoka Tano, an underage girl who wears little clothes compared to her armoured male peers, and whose character revolves entirely around Anakin Skywalker, and that the fandom thinks this is a good character, pisses me off all the more.

wins2

Oct 27, 2017
That feels like a very surface-level criticism and sounds like you haven't actually watched the show.

Jul 5, 2019
Ahsoka's character does not revolve around Anakin lol her whole character arc is growing out of the apprentice mold expected of her and becoming her own warrior, with Anakin often being the dramatic foil to that. Characters being closely related/pitted as parallels =/= her exclusively revolving around one man.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I apologise if I came off as aggressive towards you, but I am fed up with Dave Filoni worship. I have been accused on these very boards of sexism because I criticised his writing. And it has all just worn extremely thin, especially considering every thread that pops up about TCW inevitably gets THE chart telling people to skip half of the episodes.

The fact that his main contribution to Star Wars is Ahsoka Tano, an underage girl who wears little clothes compared to her armoured male peers, and whose character revolves entirely around Anakin Skywalker, and that the fandom thinks this is a good character, pisses me off all the more.
I agree that Ahsoka's first outfit is ridiculous and bad, but they do switch her to a different, more reasonable costume I think sometime in S3 (and quite randomly; she also suddenly has two lightsabers with no explanation).

And yes she calls Anakin her master but...he's her master! I don't think she is subservient though (they have more of a sibling dynamic than teacher-student), and her arc throughout the show is ultimately how she grows away from Anakin and the Jedi to forge her own path.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Ahsoka's character does not revolve around Anakin lol her whole character arc is growing out of the apprentice mold expected of her and becoming her own warrior, with Anakin often being the dramatic foil to that. Characters being closely related/pitted as parallels =/= her exclusively revolving around one man.

Character design given the okay by Dave Filoni on a comic he worked upon and adapted into a story arc in the actual show...

blob

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that Ahsoka's first outfit is ridiculous and bad, but they do switch her to a different, more reasonable costume I think sometime in S3 (and quite randomly; she also suddenly has two lightsabers with no explanation).
I could have sworn she started out with two lightsabers, am I misremembering the earlier seasons?

Oct 29, 2017
Watched parts from both volumes on my TV last night comparing it with the YT videos and it's a massive visual boost. I'm pretty sure this is how it's intended to look and the colours if anything looked too punchy/contrasty on the YT upload.
Hmm. I guess I prefer the punchier look of it. Skin tones look a little pale to me otherwise.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I wasn't talking about her character design in my post but yes, it's bad at first, I was not at all arguing against that lol, but that hasn't been an issue since she got a redesign in Season 3 which was... ten years ago now.

Her character and design were still problematic in season 3.

I have also been told that his objectification of girls was George Lucas' fault, but Filoni had very specific and creepy images for Ahsoka. It's provable, it's there, but Star Wars fans don't care. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
While Ahsoka's characterization can be criticized in certain spots, she's certainly not subservient to Anikin. TCW jumps around a lot so it actually gave her solo episodes where you see her gradually grow and come into her own. She becomes the main character by the end of the show and parts ways with Anikin in a pivotal episode of the show. She stands up to dudes in the Jedi Console and rebukes them. Her and Anikin's relationship is an important aspect of her character but they feel more like peers or even brother/sister.

That being said, I certainly think a woman writer might have been able to do better job writing her.

Jul 5, 2019

I have also been told that his objectification of girls was George Lucas' fault, but Filoni had very specific and creepy images for Ahsoka. It's provable, it's there, but Star Wars fans don't care. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
There's aspects to criticize about Ahsoka's character but the ones you listed just don't track lol. She calls him "master" because that's literally how the master/padawan dynamic had been established at that point, it's first seen with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in TPM of all characters. Plus, I already explained that "characters being closely related/pitted as parallels =/= her exclusively revolving around one man." She still has agency. One of the most important moments of the series is when she chooses to LEAVE Anakin because she came to a different conclusion than him over the corruption of the Jedi Council, which accentuates both of their arcs as Ahsoka is left lost and confused as a teenager with nobody else to follow anymore (which gets continued in her Rebels/Mando appearances where she forged a new path as an independent non-jedi) and as Anakin's doubts about the Jedi council are further confirmed which leads into his downfall in RotS. These characters are both important to each other's arcs, but they have agency beyond each other.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
There's aspects to criticize about Ahsoka's character but the ones you listed just don't track lol. She calls him "master" because that's literally how the master/padawan dynamic had been established at that point, it's first seen with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in TPM of all characters. Plus, I already explained that "characters being closely related/pitted as parallels =/= her exclusively revolving around one man." She still has agency. One of the most important moments of the series is when she chooses to LEAVE Anakin because she came to a different conclusion than him over the corruption of the Jedi Council, which accentuates both of their arcs as Ahsoka is left lost and confused as a teenager with nobody else to follow anymore (which gets continued in her Rebels/Mando appearances where she forged a new path as an independent non-jedi) and as Anakin's doubts about the Jedi council are further confirmed which leads into his downfall in RotS. These characters are both important to each other's arcs, but they have agency beyond each other.

This is all fan nonsense. And the fact that the thread is now about defending Ahsoka and Dave Filoni, instead of how cool the 2D show was, proves my point.

Ignore the sexualised male gaze of the male creators of an underage girl, gotta protect the man who created her!

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe because those of us who have actually watched Ahsoka's growth as a character are willing to forgive the early stumblings from over a decade ago because they corrected course and gave her one of the best and most complete arcs in the entire franchise. But yeah I guess stay mad about the tube top or whatever, that's cool too.

Jul 5, 2019
This is all fan nonsense. And the fact that the thread is now about defending Ahsoka and Dave Filoni, instead of how cool the 2D show was, proves my point.

Ignore the sexualised male gaze of the male creators of an underage girl, gotta protect the man who created her!
1) Hi, hello, I am a woman, this is my female viewpoint about this female character that I have analyzed from watching the TV show and enjoying the deeper character development and themes (or "fan nonsense" I suppose) I have gleamed from it, I do not fucking care about defending Filoni.
2) You're the one who brought this all up LOL

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Maybe because those of us who have actually watched Ahsoka's growth as a character are willing to forgive the early stumblings from over a decade ago because they corrected course and gave her one of the best and most complete arcs in the entire franchise. But yeah I guess stay mad about the tube top or whatever, that's cool too.

Tell me how her arc diverted from Anakin's then. Tell me about Ahsoka without mentioning him.

And yeah, I will stay mad about the character design.

And once again, it's another post that ignores the 2D show. Gotta protect Filoni and his creepy shit.

Jul 5, 2019
Tell me how her arc diverted from Anakin's then. Tell me about Ahsoka without mentioning him.
Ahsoka Tano is a former child soldier who got cast aside by the council that promised greatness to her and refused to take responsibility for it, prompting her to leave them forever and be left alone without guidance in a harsh galaxy. (see: final arc of Season 5, second arc of Season 7) She tries to escape her past but it continually haunts her when her very kind end up being hunted and exterminated, shortly after she left the order, leading to a guilt and emptiness that still plagues her. (see: Ahsoka novel, Rebels, Mando) Eventually, she is able to forge her own path as a doer of good that isn't tied to the archaic Jedi order, even proclaiming the famous line "I am no Jedi." (see: Rebels Season 2 finale) Now, she wanders the galaxy doing good and helping people, still haunted by her past but trying to do good in her own way nonetheless. (see: Mando) Her arc is still continuing as well, considering she has her own television show coming up that will continue her story of recovering from a traumatic upbringing.

The fact that she has a big brother-type character who is important to her (and that Anakin has a little sister-type character who is important to him) is just icing on an already-interesting cake.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
User Banned (3 Months): Concern trolling over sexism and hostility over a series of posts; prior ban for inappropriately misusing LGBTQ concerns in order to defend the objectification of women.
Ahsoka Tano is a former child soldier who got cast aside by the council that promised greatness to her and refused to take responsibility for it, prompting her to leave them forever and be left alone without guidance in a harsh galaxy. (see: final arc of Season 5, second arc of Season 7) She tries to escape her past but it continually haunts her when her very kind end up being hunted and exterminated, shortly after she left the order, leading to a guilt and emptiness that still plagues her. (see: Ahsoka novel, Rebels, Mando) Eventually, she is able to forge her own path as a doer of good that isn't tied to the archaic Jedi order, even proclaiming the famous line "I am no Jedi." (see: Rebels Season 2 finale) Now, she wanders the galaxy doing good and helping people, still haunted by her past but trying to do good in her own way nonetheless. (see: Mando) Her arc is still continuing as well, considering she has her own television show coming up that will continue her story of recovering from a traumatic upbringing

Sorry, but are you aware? You wrote all this to defend a cartoon character. That a novel has to be written in her defence is proof that she is not a good character on her own merits.

But okay, child soldier fun time! Yay! That makes all the objectification better!

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Sorry, but are you aware that yesterday was April Fools? What a silly response to someone doing exactly what you asked them to do.

No, it isn't a silly response. I want to know why this shit...

blob

...is okay to Star Wars fans. And the fact that this thread has become about defending Filoni and the CG show proves my point. I could have been ignored, but gotta protect the creep!

Demoncleaner

Oct 27, 2017
No, it isn't a silly response. I want to know why this shit...

blob

...is okay to Star Wars fans. And the fact that this thread has become about defending Filoni and the CG show proves my point. I could have been ignored, but gotta protect the creep!

People haven't been defending the early design. In fact people have been saying it's inappropriate and glad that it was altered. You'll find many topics follow what one person is discussing when they're every other response. But I'll take you up on ignoring you. Have a good one.

Jul 5, 2019
Sorry, but are you aware? You wrote all this to defend a cartoon character. That a novel has to be written in her defence is proof that she is not a good character on her own merits.

But okay, child soldier fun time! Yay! That makes all the objectification better!
For one, thanks for conveniently ignoring my mention that you are aggressively telling a woman that her view on a female character is wrong and that she's just trying to defend an, in your words, "creepy male creator," really fucking love being accused of that.

Second, you asked to be told how her arc deviates from Anakin's. I did exactly what you asked. I wrote a single paragraph explaining how her arc has continued, listing where each development comes from as a source. But now, you say that "a novel being written in her defense" is proof that she's bad and that "I wrote this all to defend a cartoon character". What on Earth is that argument? Expressing my conflicting opinion in an actual verbose way instead of spouting a smug hot take = she's bad? How nuanced.

Third, "but okay, child soldier fun time! Yay!" ...yeah, that's literally the premise of Star Wars. The 2D animated show you so desparately want to talk about again is also about a child soldier, you know, Anakin Skywalker. On top of this, Ahsoka's whole arc is about how this traumatized her and how she's recovering from it.

AGAIN, I already talked about my opinion on the sexualization, I agree, sexualization is bad, but keep bringing that up to create a strawman I guess. I explained my reasoning, you have refused to engage with that reasoning, and I am not about to be mansplained feminism just because I happen to think a female character in a TV show is pretty cool. I'm out, and welcome to my ignore list.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
People haven't been defending the early design. In fact people have been saying it's inappropriate and glad that it was altered. You'll find many topics follow what one person is discussing when they're every other response. But I'll take you up on ignoring you. Have a good one.

Okay, bye!

Can anyone else tell me what the fuck this means? And why the objectification of an underage girl is okay?

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, bye!

Can anyone else tell me what the fuck this means? And why the objectification of an underage girl is okay?

I'm sorry to say, but it's beginning to become quite obvious that you're concern trolling at this point and making strawman arguments to draw attention to yourself. Nobody said that objectification of an underage girl is okay, who in this thread said that?

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm sorry to say, but it's beginning to become quite obvious that you're concern trolling at this point and making strawman arguments to draw attention to yourself. Nobody said that objectification of an underage girl is okay, who in this thread said that?

Oh fuck this.

I will post it again. This is okay to Era.

blob

This whole argument stemmed from a fucking joke I made about needing a spreadsheet to watch the CG show.

Oct 28, 2017

Yes it was like that on the DVD since they had to edit the music and credits of each of the 3 min episode to fit into a overall "film."

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
It's the Slaves of Zygerria comic outfit.

It is extremally sexualised, I collected the comics as a kid and I felt uncomfortable with these images. I will try to find one that works.

EDIT: Is this better?

D259wme.jpg

I don't think you'll find anyone here defending that design, it's pretty bad. But I can't find anything to suggest that this was a Filoni approved design, the outfit that was adapted into the show itself was much more tasteful in appearance:

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4c6e4b48345a31377a497a3847673d3d2d3636333532303331312e313536653064333366383335616161363939313538313331373437302e6a7067

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Bud, you literally asked her to explain something to you, and now you're seriously going to complain that she wrote too much when she did it? How the hell was she supposed to know she had a word count limit? Though given that you'd apparently dismiss it anyway, I guess she was supposed to give up without trying?

and uhhhh do you know what a jedi is...? (they're all child soldiers) (all of them) (that's part of their entire deal)

EDIT:

oh there we go

appreciated

Jul 5, 2019
That's more like it, thanks for the quick action mods!

Back on topic, I am looking forward to checking these shorts out later as I've never seen them but hear great things.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Can we get the thread back on topic please?

Facts. A series with The Force turned up to 11 and it's incredible.

Catching the premiers live as a kid was peak 90s Toonami shit.

Time to watch Mace Windu cook.
This was the future of Star Wars for me. This show proved that Jedi's were something "more". So many elements from this show were never again utilized and it's a travesty that it was replaced instead of expounded upon. Though I grew to love the 3D clone wars, this was unmatched from an action and emotional standpoint. The swag of Mace Windu is palpable. My head cannon is that this show is the reason we even got Force Unleashed since so many elements of that game were influenced by this show.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna have to rewatch the Genndy series in full sometime. It's been so long since I've last seen it.