Status
Not open for further replies.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Has anybody completed the Treasure Lost, Treasure Found side quest? I can't for the life of me figure out what to do near the pool of water.

Last edited:

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
Gacha games are known to burn, the point at the end of the day is to entice the player to spend money. that's the catch. It's why the game is free. Of course, any game can be free to play, but the price for that in lieu of money, is the players time and commitment.

This seems to be unlike any gacha game before however. It is a large release, basically triple A in scale, so it's sort of uncharted waters as far as monetization. The best indicator may be Honkai Impact 3rd, which by all means is not unlike other typical gacha games in its predatory schemes. Though like I said earlier, perhaps that isn't a fair comparison. The scale of this gacha game is on another level.

I absolutely agree with you, there's absolutely nothing like Genshin Impact around, the only thing that comes to mind is Warframe, in that it's a very, VERY big game that can absolutely be played without paying, though paying helps speed up the process of acquiring many things. Also, Warframe has a few open world areas, but nothing on the scale of Genshin Impact.
Really, there's nothing it compares to, it's absolutely uncharted territory.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I absolutely agree with you, there's absolutely nothing like Genshin Impact around, the only thing that comes to mind is Warframe, in that it's a very, VERY big game that can absolutely be played without paying, though paying helps speed up the process of acquiring many things. Also, Warframe has a few open world areas, but nothing on the scale of Genshin Impact.
Really, there's nothing it compares to, it's absolutely uncharted territory.

Also unlike Warframe this game doesn't have PvP, whether that is a good or bad thing when it comes to gacha game practices I won't comment on as I don't have knowledge on that.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
Also unlike Warframe this game doesn't have PvP, whether that is a good or bad thing when it comes to gacha game practices I won't comment on as I don't have knowledge on that.

Well, as someone who plays and played heaps of gacha games, PvP is generally a red flag, as that's where the P2W aspects come into play: having the latest and best units, thans to powercreep, is what makes people wanna spend money to stay on top.
The fact that Genshin Impact doesn't have PvP should make it more similar to something like Azur Lane, where the quantity of pulls you're given, along with the free characters, make you wanna spend money just to support the devs, getting maybe just a cool skin or some pulls even if it's not strictly needed.
Judging from the videos and opinions I've seen, it seems Genshin might go this route, and I sure hope it is like that, and will stay like this.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody completed the Treasure Lost, Treasure Found side quest? I can't for the life of me figure out what to do near the pool of water.
Is that the one where you're finding treasure for Kaeya? Go talk to him in the knights HQ and he'll overexplain whichever step you're on to death.

Well, as someone who plays and played heaps of gacha games, PvP is generally a red flag, as that's where the P2W aspects come into play: having the latest and best units, thans to powercreep, is what makes people wanna spend money to stay on top.
The fact that Genshin Impact doesn't have PvP should make it more similar to something like Azur Lane, where the quantity of pulls you're given, along with the free characters, make you wanna spend money just to support the devs, getting maybe just a cool skin or some pulls even if it's not strictly needed.
Judging from the videos and opinions I've seen, it seems Genshin might go this route, and I sure hope it is like that, and will stay like this.
It's definitely not trying to endear anyone with the quantity of pulls you get to do, nor with your likelihood of getting anything good from them.

It takes an absolutely ridiculous amount of time and effort to get enough currency to make a 10-pull, and that's with the help of non renewable sources like quests and treasure chests (you'd think that since they're one time only they'd give you a decent amount, but nope). Now that I've effectively used up all of those and am pretty much solely reliant on login rewards and daily commisions, it's going to be a very long time before I can do another pull.

Their strategy seems to be to bowl you over so hard with the quality and quantity of the actual game that you'll be willing to put up with by far the most brutal gatcha of any game I've personally ever seen.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I don't think you're supposed to be focused on getting chars 100% of the time. They give you 3 for free basically ( 3+mc+ noelle/banner and people's choice) and there's a bunch of other stuff to do while you're building up currency. Maxing out weapons, artifact builds, exploration, maxing out chars/weapons, crafting, filling out the handbook, etc. Of course, it'll likely start to dry up the longer you play and I think they could increase the amount of currency you get from exploring a bit closer to how it was in 2nd beta but I don't think its too bad right now tbh

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Is that the one where you're finding treasure for Kaeya? Go talk to him in the knights HQ and he'll overexplain whichever step you're on to death.

It's definitely not trying to endear anyone with the quantity of pulls you get to do, nor with your likelihood of getting anything good from them.

It takes an absolutely ridiculous amount of time and effort to get enough currency to make a 10-pull, and that's with the help of non renewable sources like quests and treasure chests (you'd think that since they're one time only they'd give you a decent amount, but nope). Now that I've effectively used up all of those and am pretty much solely reliant on login rewards and daily commisions, it's going to be a very long time before I can do another pull.

Their strategy seems to be to bowl you over so hard with the quality and quantity of the actual game that you'll be willing to put up with by far the most brutal gatcha of any game I've personally ever seen.

yikes. Interest fading then

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've hardly been able to play at all cuz I've been so busy this past week, but finally put a couple hours in today and it really is fun! A little janky in certain ways -- frame drops can get pretty bad, camera can get a bit awkward, the item pickup prompt being a little delayed, little stuff like that -- but it's a beautiful world and even though I've barely scratched the surface on the combat I can already tell it's gonna be a lot of fun swapping between characters and strategizing attacks.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

No one actually PVPs in Warframe, the game modes are all dead. The game is 100% completely balanced around PVE.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018

Ouch, that's not what I was expecting.
Well, I hope the pulls I will get are good, at least...

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Very disappointing to hear. Hard pass.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lol @ all the "yikes" and "hard pass" comments, because someone pointed out that the character pulling rates are awful. Pulling characters isn't the main thing of this game. Except from using the gacha to pull Noelle (which is pretty much guaranteed) at the beginning and another time trying to get Venti (gave me only a 4 star weapon) I have in over 30 hours of playing not engaged in the gacha at all, because you simply don't need to. I am not even using Noelle much. You get all the characters that you need to play this game with story progression. 99% of this game is a high quality and fun open world action JRPG for free, I have no idea why it's a "yikes" and "hard pass" when you don't get your preferred waifu or husbando as a cherry on top instantly and for free as well.

Idk, I don't think you're supposed to be focused on getting chars 100% of the time.

This.

On another note, Mihoyo is holding a Genshin Impact photography contest! :D

2da586e0bba01fd39f02e3a09daaae79_2825879768972088057.png

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Lol @ all the "yikes" and "hard pass" comments, because someone pointed out that the character pulling rates are awful. Pulling characters isn't the main thing of this game. Except from using the gacha to pull Noelle (which is pretty much guaranteed) at the beginning and another time trying to get Venti (gave me only a 4 star weapon) I have in over 30 hours of playing not engaged in the gacha at all, because you simply don't need to. You get all the characters that you need to play this game for free with the story. 99% of this game is a high quality and fun open world action JRPG for free, I have no idea why it's a "yikes" and "hard pass" when you don't get your preferred waifu or husbando as a cherry on top instantly and for free as well.

This.

On another note, Mihoyo is holding a Genshin Impact photography contest! :D

2da586e0bba01fd39f02e3a09daaae79_2825879768972088057.png
Even if pulling isn't the main thing, some people like to do it with the free resources a gacha game usually provides. If these resources are rare, people are going to be upset.
Personally the main attraction in a gacha game is usually pulling.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Personally the main attraction in a gacha game is usually pulling.

You clearly have not followed the game much or played it. This is not a usual gacha. The attraction is that you get to play the love child of Breath of the Wild and a Tales of game. (It's by the way of higher quality than any Tales of game.)
Now I don't know if they will change something monetization-wise for the final release that drastically mars the entire experience, but for now this game is simply one of the best and most fun JRPGs that I have played in a while, and it is for free.

Last edited:

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, well if it's the one I'm thinking of then you might try
Checking behind the waterfall for a cave.
If that's not it then you'll have to describe the quest a bit more specifically.
Not the one either, I'm afraid lol

You're being tasked with activating 4 jade plates in the ruins just south of the inn in the tree. One of them, which is located by a round pool of water, won't activate and Paimon says that there must be some special mechanism needed to do so.
I think you're given hints when activating the other three plates, but I'm too stupid to get them.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A new playable character was teased on Chinese social media called Sucrose:

EcjqpLaU4AAftI-

I remember Timaeus of the alchemy shop on Mondstadt's market square telling me about Sucrose. She is the apprentice of Mondstadt's master alchemist Albedo.

Also, I can't wait to meet other new characters in Liyue, the first one being Childe, who is actually a character of Snezhnaya, the upcoming Russian-inspired region we have only heard of before:

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The framerate on PS4 Pro dips more than I'd like but hopefully that's fixed at launch.

The pacing is a tab slow for me. Teenagers who play games but aren't into intense action would find this relaxing to play at their own pace.

Really wish this was developed as a normal game than a gacha machine.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Not the one either, I'm afraid lol

You're being tasked with activating 4 jade plates in the ruins just south of the inn in the tree. One of them, which is located by a round pool of water, won't activate and Paimon says that there must be some special mechanism needed to do so.
I think you're given hints when activating the other three plates, but I'm too stupid to get them.
I have no memory of that and there's no record for side quests that aren't part of a larger chain so I can't offer an specific help, but... Be on the lookout for:

-Those elemental pillars
-Stone torches
-Pressure plates (they light up when you stand on them)

And maybe try the "element vision" mode to see if anything shows up.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game summoned me to Liyue, lol, so these are probably the last Mondstadt impressions I am sharing here. ;)

50097389591_a31ea83407_o.png

50097623212_5d5c51937c_o.png

50097389411_ea499afc1d_o.png

50096815043_2b3ea2e753_o.png

50096814133_6e9584bfd8_o.png

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Kinda worrying to hear that the PS4 version is having performance issues. Hopefully they fixed it later because then the Switch version it's going to be awful.

Also who knows if the game might be playable later in PS5 via backward compatibility.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda worrying to hear that the PS4 version is having performance issues. Hopefully they fixed it later because then the Switch version it's going to be awful.

Also who knows if the game might be playable later in PS5 via backward compatibility.

I'm pretty sure the PS4 Pro performance issues come from it being rendered in native 4K. It's super crisp, clean and pretty, but with a lower resolution stable 30fps should be easily doable.

Sony has mandated that all PS4 games releasing after July have to be compatible with PS5:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tation-5-compatible-from-july-sony-tells-devs

Genshin Impact will release after July, probably in fall.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I finally reached Liyue...and it is so beautiful and atmospheric. The most charming open world I've ever seen. At every turn you have a postcard view straight out of some Ghibli anime.

50104301522_d602827573_o.png

50103493573_d35fab4644_o.png

50104300952_4e54e6b89f_o.png

50103496053_4a2df50f48_o.png

50103495083_d8e7489847_o.png

50103498978_de8532828d_o.png

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is so damn charming. All the characters are super precious, and their story lines are hilarious. This is very much a game that doesn't take itself too seriously and is fully aware of its somewhat ridiculous premises and just hams it all up, in the most endearing of ways. Also the english dub is surprisingly super solid, and it's crazy wild how similar they managed to get some of the voices to sound to their counterparts in other languages. The combat is amazing, as well -- it's so much fun swapping between characters for that element stacking and timing dashes to dodge out of attacks; it constantly keeps me engaged. I seriously cannot freakin' believe this is a F2P game, like.... I straight up feel as though I'm playing BotW just ten times more anime and with way more characters. Sure it's a little buggy with the frame drops and text being cut off in descriptions a lot and crashing at least once every few hours lol (at least on PS4) and whatnot, but god damn is it vast and super fun.

But also damn it, that face when you play the game for the husbandos but all its gacha system is handing you are the waifus. 😂
Trying to get Venti and it gave me both Fischl and a five star Jean on my second pull ffffft.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
All the characters are super precious, and their story lines are hilarious.

They are, and I love the character side quests each one of them have. They are the best side quests in any JRPG I played. I can't wait to unlock more and to get to play the ones that did not make it into this beta.
Well played Mihoyo, you really managed to make us want to pull those characters so bad, even though you really don't need them, because the rest of the game is so good and it is so with just the 4 story characters that are provided to you.
I by the way also tried to pull particularly Venti to no avail. :( He's probably my favorite character. I love how cheeky, brash and wise he is, while looking so young and innocent at the same time.

Also, isn't the writing (especially the dialogue) so good in this game? Most other JRPGs (I always call it a JRPG though I should probably call it a CRPG?) have pretty poor writing and there's so much anime cringe that in my old days I often have to roll my eyes. This didn't happen here so far. The writing is smart and genuinely funny. It's still very anime, but the good kind of anime, if that makes sense. ;)

Last edited:

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
While wandering in the newer area... stop to ask the grandma what she's selling at the kite shop. The answer may surprise you.

I did finally manage to pull a character, Bennett, the world's most unlucky fire sword kid. Kind of annoyed with his English voice though, he sounds like Venti because it's another woman doing a boy's voice while in Japanese he sounds older.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
They are, and I love the character side quests each one of them have. They are the best side quests in any JRPG I played. I can't wait to unlock more and to get to play the ones that did not make it into this beta.
Well played Mihoyo, you really managed to make us want to pull those characters so bad, even though you really don't need them, because the rest of the game is so good and it is so with just the 4 story characters that are provided to you.
I by the way also tried to pull particularly Venti to no avail. :( He's probably my favorite character. I love how cheeky, brash and wise he is, while looking so young and innocent at the same time.

Also, isn't the writing (especially the dialogue) so good in this game? Most other JRPGs (I always call it a JRPG though I should probably call it a CRPG?) have pretty poor writing and there's so much anime cringe that in my old days I often have to roll my eyes. This didn't happen here so far. The writing is smart and genuinely funny. It's still very anime, but the good kind of anime, if that makes sense. ;)
They really are great -- like obviously being a gacha game I imagine the overarching plot is gonna get sacrificed a bit since the point is to keep the game going for as long as possible, but I love that they make up for it with character quests. I looooovvveee me some character-focused story telling, and getting to see how they all interact together. It's always the best part for me.
And right? I love Venti so far! I admit his personality initially threw me off (was not expecting lol), but his subtly sassy little attitude grew on me super quick. By the end of his quest I was completely emotionally invested and totally pissed for him about what happened. Biitttcchh, I will find you and I will cut you! How dare you harm my boy!! 😂

Totally agree about the writing, too. I mean, yeah it has some overall completely unbelievable premises, like... 'Oh hey we just met this guy who we have no idea if he's trustworthy or not, but let's help him steal this incredibly valuable and worshiped item anyway cuz he says it'll help!' But because the game seems aware of its silliness and keeps a perfect balance overall with it, it totally works. Instead of being dumb it's charming.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Reading through the people complaining about PS4 Pro performance makes me worried a little bit. How likely it is that we'll have a performance option that doesn't render the game in 4K?

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And right? I love Venti so far! I admit his personality initially threw me off (was not expecting lol), but his subtly sassy little attitude grew on me super quick. By the end of his quest I was completely emotionally invested and totally pissed for him about what happened. Biitttcchh, I will find you and I will cut you! How dare you harm my boy!! 😂

That was a very unexpected and intense cutscene. It's jarring, the good kind of jarring, the game getting suddenly so dark and serious when the characters and entire game looks so cute and happy. Even the hilichurls, the main enemy type, are so cute, lol. But it is actually not that surprising since the manga gets pretty dark and violent at times too.
That particular cutscene wasn't even there in CBT1 or CBT2. They keep adding more, fleshing out the story more, in every new iteration of the game. There will be more for sure at game release.

Totally agree about the writing, too. I mean, yeah it has some overall completely unbelievable premises, like... 'Oh hey we just met this guy who we have no idea if he's trustworthy or not, but let's help him steal this incredibly valuable and worshiped item anyway cuz he says it'll help!' But because the game seems aware of its silliness and keeps a perfect balance overall with it, it totally works. Instead of being dumb it's charming.

Yeah, you have always another character, especially Paimon, pointing out how fishy or crazy something is, lol. Like in the cutscene you mention when Venti in a not so subtle way asks you to do something criminal, Paimon will totally call him out for it. In the usual JRPG the protagonist just does it no questions asked.

Paimon is awesome by the way. I'm not a fan of overly cute mascot characters normally. Paimon is more than just being cute though. :)

Reading through the people complaining about PS4 Pro performance makes me worried a little bit. How likely it is that we'll have a performance option that doesn't render the game in 4K?

We don't know. I even asked one of the marketing people of the game and they don't know. Since Mihoyo seems to be a developer proud of heir tech prowess (it's crazy we even got native 4K on Pro already), I am sure that in the end the game will have great image quality and also run smoothly.

Can I play this game now? Pleeeease??

It's in closed beta right now... But there seems to be an open beta planned in late summer and then release in fall. :)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This game is sooooo pretty, like a better looking BOTW without the drab color palette. Delicious

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
Kind of a weird question, but has anyone tried the game with mini laptops like the GPD Win? I'm seriously thinking about getting the GPD Pocket 2 that has the same 8100y processor as the GPD Win 2 and I was curious to know if it runs.
I seem to recall reading that the game is fairly light and runs on older and weaker hardware, but maybe someone has first hand info.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Most handsome husbando (Zhongli) had his Japanese voice actor confirmed: Tomoaki Maeno

21a2e4db280e77743409cc81c5de82fb_7855767696567631094.jpg

I found this compilation of his work. Jesus, he's got range, lol:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a weird question, but has anyone tried the game with mini laptops like the GPD Win? I'm seriously thinking about getting the GPD Pocket 2 that has the same 8100y processor as the GPD Win 2 and I was curious to know if it runs.
I seem to recall reading that the game is fairly light and runs on older and weaker hardware, but maybe someone has first hand info.

It runs at 60fps on a 2018 iPad Pro without skipping a beat, so that should be somewhat of a good sign for a lot of recent laptop hardware out there.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
It runs at 60fps on a 2018 iPad Pro without skipping a beat, so that should be somewhat of a good sign for a lot of recent laptop hardware out there.

Well, iPad Pro is a beast, even the 2018 model, I was talking about a mini laptop with THIS processor, which shouold be 1/2 or even 1/3 as powerful as the A12X Bionic the 2018 iPad Pro uses.
Again, I have an iPhone 11 Pro and a Switch so I'll play there, it was just curiosity, mainly.
Then again, even with a custom OS made to optimize performance, the Switch's Tegra should be less powerful (and with less ram) than a GPD Win 2 or a Pocket 2, so if it runs on a Switch it should run on such a hardware.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
This thread and the RTX 3000 rumors thread are causing me endless suffering :<
I keep checking on them everyday hoping for the set in stone release date news to break out.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread and the RTX 3000 rumors thread are causing me endless suffering :<
I keep checking on them everyday hoping for the set in stone release date news to break out.

There was news some days ago that an open beta is planned in the not so far future (just a couple of months?). You can dive into the game at that point. :)

This game is sooooo pretty, like a better looking BOTW without the drab color palette. Delicious

I risk being tarred and feathered for saying this, because when the game was first announced people called it also here on Era a shameless rip-off, it lacking any own creativity, it having no soul etc., but in actuality Genshin Impact's visuals and world are more beautiful, intricate and creative than that of Breath of the Wild. There I said it. And I say that as a huge Zelda series fan.
Genshin Impact's artists, especially its environment artists, are top of the list in creating anime-style open worlds. The portions of the map that are finished (it's still in beta so here and there some work still needs to be done) are handcrafted to the smallest detail. The landscapes and towns are like fantasy anime paintings come to life. Much of BotW's world feels in comparison as if it were computer generated or still in a rough sketch stadium.
I won't criticize its duller, more muted colors, because that's the more serious, desolate tone they were going for in that game world, and it fits it quite well.

Yesterday I found a lonely NPC, standing on top of a rock, looking over to a nearby misty mountain range and the NPC's name was Caspar.
The fact that Mihoyo's artists reference German Romanticist painter Caspar David Friedrich like this tells me they put a lot of love into this and they have bigger inspirations and aspirations than to rip off BotW's visuals and world...

Ueber-die-sammlung-19-jahrhundert-caspar-david-friedrich-wanderer-ueber-dem-nebelmeer.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Liyue Harbor at night is magical:

50115683733_fe138e1975_o.png

50115645258_ca53fa3176_o.png

50115644838_4302292a6d_o.png

50116444747_7dbb4508f7_o.png

50116438897_a2a45ce382_o.png

50116217346_4d8c1fe58e_o.png

50116216066_2081e930ca_o.png

50115653038_5ac0323a00_o.png

I made like 50 photos more and I hardly was able to choose which to showcase and which not. XD

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I keep hearing about how this game is awesome but also how the gacha sucks for trying to get 5* characters. Makes me really eeehhhh.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing about how this game is awesome but also how the gacha sucks for trying to get 5* characters. Makes me really eeehhhh.

I had pretty bad luck so far with the gacha, I only pulled 2 characters. It honestly doesn't matter one bit though. The by far biggest draw of this game is (at least for me) it's huge, breathtakingly beautiful world and to explore and immerse myself in it. The characters you are provided with are all you need for that. Pulling your favorite waifu or husbando to explore the world with is just the cherry on top. Without it you still have a huge, delicious, multilayer cake though. ;)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm really curious about this. Really, really curious. Might have a look at the open beta...

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
I'll definitely be playing the game when it comes out, but the gacha rates are abysmal. Like worse than any gacha I've seen. A 0.3% of getting the featured rate up character basically means that you have to save months of free currency to guarantee you get your desired unit or be prepared to shell out $200-$400 every time a 5* character you want rolls around unless you get absurdly lucky. The only gacha that I can think of that's worse is FGO, and that's only because this game has pity. The rates are actually higher in FGO. And at least FGO doesn't have BS like hiding passive skills behind dupe character pulls.

I'm sure mihoyo know what they're doing and that they'll make bank off of the whales that are willing to shell out their money. But it feels really predatory in a genre that's already predatory by nature. I realize that the game looks amazing and stands on its own as a quality experience without the gacha, but it sours my experience on it as someone who's easily sucked into these tactics and cares about playing with my favorite characters.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pulling Barbara, who is a hydro healer, just makes such a quality of life improvement. Now I don't need to rely on endless cooking for heals. In co-op team fights, I bring a real helpful utility now. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.