Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad Faruzan is tied to two 5 stars now.

Beidou-64746aeba896cbc03a03a673_1.png

Meanwhile, my Beidou is ready. She's my 5th best EoSF character.

I'mma build Sayu before 4.7, I realized the trial characters are probably gonna have R1 (favonius if supp.) weapon and insufficient ER on their artifacts.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A graphical overhaul, huh...?
I wonder if Hoyoverse feels a bit threatened by games like Wutherings Waves, Project Mugen, Azur Promilia etc.. While I think Genshin still has them beat in art and style, I think they look better on a technical level.
Considering their catchphrase, I feel Hoyoverse always wants to be the best on a technical level

Holy damn.
UoJjWpO.png
UoJjWpO.png
UoJjWpO.png

Will be interesting to see where this goes. Tyaren!

To be honest, I am a bit worried, lol.
I read the further explanation over on the website, and there they said they're going to have to decrease render resolution and detail on some devices for this update.
They did not mention PS5 (where I play the game) there, but all PS4 systems are going to see a resolution and object detail decrease. I feel bad for PS4/PS4Pro users.
So, before I have seen the improvements and know the compromises they're going to make I'm more worried than overjoyed. ;)

I can't even imagine a Genshin graphical upgrade. Well, besides the character models. Those can use an overhaul lol

I mean, of course there are things they could further improve. PC for example still has lower character model and environment texture settings.
Then some random stuff that comes to mind:
- Water shaders and effects. I noticed water looked much nicer in Wuthering Waves.
-Rain shaders and effects. In Chenyu Vale they look nice, but in the rest of the world they look pretty bad.
-Especially a city like Mondstadt could use more random objects and clutter in the streets and more random NPCs walking around.
-Mondstadt's nature in general looks really low-polygon and low-res compared to all other nations. Liyue's early parts also show the same issues.

What character models are concerned, except for an art style change, that would make them more detailed in general, I don't see what they still could improve on their old models. Their polygon models after the DCR addition are already in line what you see in current gen games.

Last edited:

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad Faruzan is tied to two 5 stars now.

Beidou-64746aeba896cbc03a03a673_1.png

Meanwhile, my Beidou is ready. She's my 5th best EoSF character.

I'mma build Sayu before 4.7, I realized the trial characters are probably gonna have R1 (favonius if supp.) weapon and insufficient ER on their artifacts.
50ER in subs. That's actually mad impressive. I thought you were on an ER sands at first!

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Actually, if that means I'll get PS2 graphics but my potato laptop will perform better, I'm all for it. (I'd be fine with a Switch version that ran like that also, but now it's too late.)

/inb4 "wallahi my 1060 is finished"…

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
A graphical overhaul, huh...?
I wonder if Hoyoverse feels a bit threatened by games like Wutherings Waves, Project Mugen, Azur Promilia etc.. While I think Genshin still has them beat in art and style, I think they look better on a technical level.
Considering their catchphrase, I feel Hoyoverse always wants to be the best on a technical level

To be honest, I am a bit worried, lol.
I read the further explanation over on the website, and there they said they're going to have to decrease render resolution and detail on some devices for this update.
They did not mention PS5 (where I play the game) there, but all PS4 systems are going to see a resolution and object detail decrease. I feel bad for PS4/PS4Pro users.
So, before I have seen the improvements and know the compromises they're going to make I'm more worried than overjoyed. ;)

I mean, of course there are things they could further improve. PC for example still has lower character model and environment texture settings.
Then some random stuff that comes to mind:
- Water shaders and effects. I noticed water looked much nicer in Wuthering Waves.
-Rain shaders and effects. In Chenyu Vale they look nice, but in the rest of the world they look pretty bad.
-Especially a city like Mondstadt could use more random objects and clutter in the streets and more random NPCs walking around.
-Mondstadt's nature in general looks really low-polygon and low-res compared to all other nations. Liyue's early parts also show the same issues.

What character models are concerned, except for an art style change, that would make them more detailed in general, I don't see what they still could improve on their old models. Their polygon models after the DCR addition are already in line what you see in current gen games.
I would like to see improvements in hair rendering most of all. Right now it's just blocks of polygons with normal shading, it's pretty boring. And this would be the perfect excuse to give characters like Diluc and Albedo a facelift lol

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see improvements in hair rendering most of all. Right now it's just blocks of polygons with normal shading, it's pretty boring. And this would be the perfect excuse to give characters like Diluc and Albedo a facelift lol

If I understand you rcorrectly, that would be an art style change though. I don't know if they'd go that far in their visual overhaul.
I always understood it like Hoyoverse is trying to emulate anime characters in Genshin. With anime characters I mean how characters literally look like in an anime:

GenshinImpact_Arlecchino_Crucabela-1024x576.jpg

That is quite reduced in detail and flat, especially when you look at the hair you mentioned.
Other games, like the upcoming Arknights Endfield, have much more detailed characters and hair, which I guess is what you would prefer, right?

Arknights-Endfield-Preview-1.jpg.webp

But I think that is because Hypergryph are not trying to emulate an anime look but more of a manga illustration look:

arknights-endfield-release-date.jpeg

When I recently got to try out Robin in Star Rail's new main campaign I actually noticed that Hoyoverse is seemingly doubling down on their intend to have characters look like anime characters, because she seemed even more reduced in detail (especially her hair) than older Star Rail characters or Genshin characters.

honkai-star-rail-robin-cutscene.jpg

honkai-star-rail-himeko-build.jpg

In comparison Himiko has much more intricate hair detailing and shading than Robin. I don't have images from the back, but there it is even more of a contrast.
Less detail but cleaner, clearer forms is not necessarily a negative thing though. It comes down to art style and what Hoyoverse is going for.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
If I understand you rcorrectly, that would be an art style change though. I don't know if they'd go that far in their visual overhaul.
I always understood it like Hoyoverse is trying to emulate anime characters in Genshin. With anime characters I mean how characters literally look like in an anime:

GenshinImpact_Arlecchino_Crucabela-1024x576.jpg

That is quite reduced in detail and flat, especially when you look at the hair you mentioned.
Other games, like the upcoming Arknights Endfield, have much more detailed characters and hair, which I guess is what you would prefer, right?

Arknights-Endfield-Preview-1.jpg.webp

But I think that is because Hypergryph are not trying to emulate an anime look but more of a manga illustration look:

arknights-endfield-release-date.jpeg

When I recently got to try out Robin in Star Rail's new main campaign I actually noticed that Hoyoverse is seemingly doubling down on their intend to have characters look like anime characters, because she seemed even more reduced in detail (especially her hair) than older Star Rail characters or Genshin characters.

honkai-star-rail-robin-cutscene.jpg

honkai-star-rail-himeko-build.jpg

In comparison Himiko has much more intricate hair detailing and shading than Robin. I don't have images from the back, but there it is even more of a contrast.
Less detail but cleaner, clearer forms is not necessarily a negative thing though. It comes down to art style and what Hoyoverse is going for.
Not necessarily a style change, I would just like to see the highlights not be literally painted on for example, there are ways to make it more dynamic while preserving the strict cel shading and clean look. And in terms of animation/motion/physics there's a lot they could do to make it look more fluid and hair-like too (think about how static it looks when long haired characters glide down or straight up fall from high places, etc), but I have no idea how big the scope of this graphical upgrade is so it's more or less a pipe dream of mine for now

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they import their auto generated lip sync tech they use for HSR. The no lip syncing for no language outside of the CN version is so bad

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they import their auto generated lip sync tech they use for HSR. The no lip syncing for no language outside of the CN version is so bad

That is already long in Genshin. (I regularly watch new players play Genshin and there everything is lip synced.) They just don't seem to be able to catch up adding that bit by bit to all archon, character and hangout quests, so that they at one point release properly lip synced quests or events day one for every language beside Chinese.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That is already long in Genshin. (I regularly watch new players play Genshin and there everything is lip synced.) They just don't seem to be able to catch up adding that bit by bit to all archon, character and hangout quests, so that they at one point release properly lip synced quests or events day one for every language beside Chinese.
They added it to the early quest a long time ago (probably to make the beginner experience as smooth as possible for first impressions and all), but even if they are slowly going back and still adding it, they will never be close to current at the rate it's going

Another thing the game desperately needs is the ability to replay events. Both so new players won't miss out on story, and so the event stories can go back to being meaningful again instead of mostly fluff. Though I think they are preparing for this.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They added it to the early quest a long time ago (probably to make the beginner experience as smooth as possible for first impressions and all), but even if they are slowly going back and still adding it, they will never be close to current at the rate it's going

That's literally what I already said, lol.

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
GNJGBmmbIAAwqn3

So……. This goblet I rolled on a whim because I was out of artifact storage space

I don't even have Eula ☠️

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I farmed Mora for a whole half of a patch and could only get to 17 million lol.

I am AR60 since 4.1 btw. As long as you're building someone, EXP, Mora and artifact fodder will be a constant pain in the ass.

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
I actually should build more characters to prepare for that new endgame mode instead of throwing all my resin uselessly into the artifact domain black hole

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Yup, I am also always building a character so my mora and xp books and weapon crystals are always close to zero. xD But the positive aspect is I have tons of characters and teams I can play which is so fun!

Catchphrase

Nov 28, 2023
I'm always at around 35 million Mora, but then again I have all my characters at level 80+ and talents at 6+ so I don't have that much to spend
Except Aloy at 70....maybe when she gets her constellations I'll level her up (so never)

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly, I try everything in my power to avoid doing mora leylines, cuz the game will keep throwing you mora in events and battle pass, and dailies, and requests and chests and domains and teapot and shop and sigils and investigation points….. and I'm sure more sources as well.

It's always trickling in and then quickly disappearing.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I finally finished building everyone I wanted sans artifacts, so I'm finally letting money and weapon crystals accrue.

But get a new weapon or character, and it just all… evaporates. And yesterday I just blew my entire EXP book stash because I noticed my Fischl was still lv80.

The life of someone with no BP, I guess.

hide-the-pain-harold.gif

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Oddly, I try everything in my power to avoid doing mora leylines, cuz the game will keep throwing you mora in events and battle pass, and dailies, and requests and chests and domains and teapot and shop and sigils and investigation points….. and I'm sure more sources as well.

It's always trickling in and then quickly disappearing.
I do not know why but mora or xp leylines always feel horrible to do for me. I do not understand it, but artifacts or talent domains or bosses feel like progress, leylines feel like a waste of resin (even though they are not lol).

I finally finished building everyone I wanted sans artifacts, so I'm finally letting money and weapon crystals accrue.

But get a new weapon or character, and it just all… evaporates. And yesterday I just blew my entire EXP book stash because I noticed my Fischl was still lv80.

hide-the-pain-harold.gif
I could not cope without battle pass, I build too many characters. xD

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I do not understand it, but artifacts or talent domains or bosses feel like progress, leylines feel like a waste of resin (even though they are not lol).
Tbf, artifact domains only feel like progress if you're Buttons-level lucky xD

Leylines are still better value than the slew of bad pieces and wasted rolls you get from artifact domains lol. I'm only doing them because now they're the only thing left for the characters I want to use.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017

hide-the-pain-harold.gif

My Arle is going to creep towards 90 via dailies over the next year just so I can save about 500,000 to 1,000,000 Mora and like 170 pages.

The stat boosts after gaining the last character asc specific stat (like arle's 6% CD) is not worth the cost and lost resin gathering pages/money.

If I end up with a 50,000,000 surplus and I'm sitting on more than 500 purple books, sure, I'll "top her off" to finish her, but I'm not in a rush to do that anymore for my 5 stars. 5atk * 10 levels = 50 extra atk, which is = to like 1/3rd of the rolls of an artifact if it rolled 3 times into flat attack.

Just not cost efficient.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
62 million Mora will be like 3 characters, to 90/90 and 9/9/9, it really is nothing.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
I hate the new artifact domain, it forces me to use my Navia team. Deepwood/Gilded domain remains the best one.

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, y'all need to stop posting these physical goblets. I'm literally 1 of 3 people that play Eula in this thread, and in 3 and a half years I've yet to even get a 30 CV one. Granted with Furina atk% goblet may be just as good, but I'm still salty.
Yup, I am also always building a character so my mora and xp books and weapon crystals are always close to zero. xD But the positive aspect is I have tons of characters and teams I can play which is so fun!
This is me recently because I've been leveling Arle, Yunjin, and Chevy, as well as getting some older characters to 90 that I use regularly like Rosaria. I'm really close to running out of purple books. I still have a fair few blue ones though so I'll see how far that can get me.

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, y'all need to stop posting these physical goblets. I'm literally 1 of 3 people that play Eula in this thread, and in 3 and a half years I've yet to even get a 30 CV one. Granted with Furina atk% goblet may be just as good, but I'm still salty.

This is me recently because I've been leveling Arle, Yunjin, and Chevy, as well as getting some older characters to 90 that I use regularly like Rosaria. I'm really close to running out of purple books. I still have a fair few blue ones though so I'll see how far that can get me.
I do not even ever have blue books haha. But I am also a completionist, it bothers me if a character I levelled is not lv90, even if I know how resin intense it is. My only lv80 character is Faruzan and it bothers me, the only reason she is not lv90 yet is I was too lazy to farm more cactus fruit. xD

Meissner

Sep 10, 2020

have no physical characters and get a great physical goblet.

Thats how it goes in these games lmao

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
While we're posting about artifacts, I love doing the newest domain and it giving me a goblet of every element except pyro.
Gonna give them to all the other characters that use bonds of life.

hypersheep325

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they're only rerunning Baizhu so soon because they needed a bad weapon to rerun with Wanderer's weapon and they had already played the Kokomi card.