Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Baizhu will tempt me for the duration of the banner the same way arlecchino tempted me throughout hers but I hope I hold strong.

Pretty sure I'm sitting on a guarantee fairly deep into pity from my time prior to leaving the game. Trying to hold that and my reserves for Furina who finally seems to be coming.

320 wishes ready as of right now.
We can both do it! You will manage to save until Furina and I will manage to hold out until Alhaitham! :D

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm seeing it over on the WuWa thread in the Gaming forum: Am I the only one who thinks Genshin's combat is actually good and fun, lol? I sometimes come to that conclusion.
It's honestly my favorite combat system in any open world RPG. It's relatively simple but can have depth, if you care about getting deeper into it, it's seamless, flashy and fun, and every new character brings something new to it.
For almost 4 years now I have not ran away from any combat encounter. I'll gladly murder any mob in sight (excluding the adorable land and sea animals!)
In basically every other RPG I dread and run away from combat after a dozen hours, yet in Genshin it's still great fun over 2000 hours in. I actually enjoy doing artifact domain runs (excluding that one Mondstadt domain!).
Not everyone craves DMC-like or Souls-like combat, or turn-based combat like in Star Rail. I have that combat on auto pilot and two times the speed at all times, because I don't actually want to do it anymore, lol.

Last edited:

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Genshin Impact's combat has depth, but is mostly in the numbers/backend, instead of just execution, which is why it's not as hyped.

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Since I'm seeing it over on the WuWa thread in the Gaming forum: Am I the only one who thinks Genshin's combat is actually good and fun, lol? I sometimes come to that conclusion.
It's honestly my favorite combat system in any open world RPG. It's relatively simple but can have depth, if you care about getting deeper into it, it's seamless, flashy and fun, and every new character brings something new to it.
For almost 4 years now I have not ran away from any combat encounter. I'll gladly murder any mob in sight (excluding the adorable land and sea animals!)
In basically every other RPG I dread and run away from combat after a dozen hours, yet in Genshin it's still great fun over 2000 hours in. I actually enjoy doing artifact domain runs (excluding that one Mondstadt domain!).
Not everyone craves DMC-like or Souls-like combat, or turn-based combat like in Star Rail. I have that combat on auto pilot and two times the speed at all times, because I don't actually want to do it anymore, lol.
I agree. I actually love the combat system, it just clicks for me. Not every combat system needs to be super complex. If I want more complex fights and rotations, I play Final Fantasy XIV. But I love Genshin's more simplistic approach, there is so much depth to it. I just wish we had an option to raise the world level for the open world to make monsters not die instantly.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I'm actually worried about all this praise about WuWa's combat being skill-based because I'm horribad at parrying in videogames. I'm nearing 40, and trying to play Sekiro showed me how much my reflexes and motor coordination are shot – they were never great btw, but the decline was sharp in those last years.

If that game leans too much on parry+dodge+git gud mentality, I'm going to have a hard time.

Genshin allows me to just do my best (and still be fumbling rotations left and right) without locking me out from content (sans those 50 primos each 15 days but hey).

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
18f734f1f7c40-screenshotUrl.jpg

Ended up getting 3 4 stars in a row off the standard banner. A Stringless that I didn't need, C5 Kirara, and C15 Layla.

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Tyaren Orion I'm not good enough to do anything beyond hard mode, but I was in full focus for this song haha. I had to reset once because I messed up at the very start and had to make sure I did the Worthy Wolves proud.
This result is so disproportionate to my other song results lool. Wriothesley gave me the power.
oZcp4kM.png

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I like it too. I really enjoy the teambuilding depth and the "gamefeel" is excellent - stuff like firing Neuvillettes laser, flicking Nahidas skill, Navias shotgun, Xianyun's jumps, watching Nilou blooms explode all over the screen and so on just feel really good even though you're not actually doing much.
I do however think the encounter design is not particularly great for the most part and I can see why people are more excited about something like Wuthering Waves or Zenless Zone Zero where you have to engage with your enemies movesets more and time dodges and/or parries and stuff more - though they will still be far less demanding like something like Sekiro or a Souls game imo.

Apr 24, 2024
I think they get a lot of mileage out of a fairly simple system. Figuring out rotations and reactions is fun, trying different pairings and teams is also fun. That said, I've never found the combat compelling enough to suffer through Spiral Abyss because hacking through overbuffed spongy mooks is not my idea of a good time, I got other shit to do. I think the group of people who want that are louder than those who are fine with the way it is. I think Genshin combat is basically the next step beyond Musou.

Catchphrase

Nov 28, 2023
I would assume the millions who keep playing Genshin enjoy the combat lol. As Buttons mentioned, combat doesn't need to be super complex to be fun.
I'd have to play WuWa on my PC though, no way my phone could handle it and playing it on mobile must be horrendous.

But anyways, what's that site you all use to check your artifacts, CV and stuff again? I gotta start getting on that.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tyaren Orion I'm not good enough to do anything beyond hard mode, but I was in full focus for this song haha. I had to reset once because I messed up at the very start and had to make sure I did the Worthy Wolves proud.
This result is so disproportionate to my other song results lool. Wriothesley gave me the power.
oZcp4kM.png

giphy.gif

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
The game has a great combat system that the devs have failed to leverage for the entirety of its life.

I'm very fond of it, even if nothing can stand up to you after a while.

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So close to my first 50 CV

TriwBwH.jpg
LETS GO! Congrats!! We can ignore that 0.2% haha
I've always said that I like playing this game for abyss. By that I meant for the combat haha. I like that it's flashy, yet not too flashy that you can't really tell what's going on. It definitely has it's problems that I would like to see addressed. And yeah, it's not nearly as mechanically demanding as other games. But as you said, every game doesn't need to be that. Hoyo have Honkai for that, which at this point is probably one of the closest games to Bayonetta/DMC with it's most recent character.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't think I'd be pulling characters if I didn't enjoy the combat.

well now i know where your banner luck went
I hope it didn't really take my banner luck but I'll still win if Clorinde in June, I get special B-day month power where I don't lose the 50/50!! That is how it works.

LETS GO! Congrats!! We can ignore that 0.2% haha
Yeah I can ignore It! 50 CV will happen when i get that ER% sands! Strongbox is really starting to give me my better pieces these days. I wish sets were in it from day one and we didn't have to wait until the new region. When Natlan happen we will just get the Sumeru Artifacts added to it unless something changes.

I would assume the millions who keep playing Genshin enjoy the combat lol. As Buttons mentioned, combat doesn't need to be super complex to be fun.
I'd have to play WuWa on my PC though, no way my phone could handle it and playing it on mobile must be horrendous.

But anyways, what's that site you all use to check your artifacts, CV and stuff again? I gotta start getting on that.
Akasha System
akasha.cv

Akasha System

Genshin Impact damage leaderboards, profile sharing, character cards generator and more

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Genshin Impact's combat has depth, but is mostly in the numbers/backend, instead of just execution, which is why it's not as hyped.

lowkey want Bungie to jack the "reaction" system from Genshin for a potential Destiny 3. don't judge me.

Exploration, combat and music are the reasons I'm still here.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
oZcp4kM.png
200w.gif

The fact that you made no accusations of doctoring this time... I see.

ryan-gosling-ken.gif

Yeah I wouldn't have played this for nearly 4 years if I didn't think the combat was fun lol. Genshin's combat may not be very challenging but that certainly doesn't make it bad... I'm curious about Waves but the lack of PS5 day one release is pretty disappointing. It was annoying enough going through that with Star Rail.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I love the combat in this game and how many characters feel very different and unique. Couldn't care less about what that WW has to offer and I'm not gonna invest in another gacha game.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Who did you guys invite first using your TCG match invitation letter?
Ayaka because at the time Freeze was iT and I was using her quite a lot

Actually I been lazily doing the TCG content and I just realized that I have been using the same deck since 1 year ago and its not even a great deck but the challenges are kind of easy on the single player stuff so I win with the challenges almost all the time.

t0FahjM.png

Kind of want to make a Wanderer set since I main him a lot for overworld lol

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Genshin's combat is good and fun. Just not terribly challenging. Which, near as I can tell, is intended.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Genshin's combat is good and fun. Just not terribly challenging. Which, near as I can tell, is intended.

Yeah, I'll give you that. I am sometimes disappointed when cool, new enemy designs are added, like that centaur boss,...and then they die in less than 30 seconds. I haven't even seen all of their animations and attacks yet!
I do sometimes give myself some kind of handicap when exploring though, lol. Just using one character, unequipping artifacts or equipping low-level weapons.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
It's a touchscreen game. To play correctly you should stick huge foam thumbs on your TV/monitor, obscuring the image. Then regularly press the wrong button or completely miss the analogue stick.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I think the gameplay in genshin great, it's fast, snappy and the dodge is really satisfying, and while the key gameplay is simple the character switching makes it pretty unique and mihoyo has done a great job keeping it fresh with new fun characters, it's not hard and that's by design for maximum mainstream player appeal, i know it's a turn off for people who like harder games but it suits me just fine because i have never been a player that plays videogames for the challenge.

As much shit as the abyss gets i think it's a pretty fun when you want to try out your characters with a bit more of a challenge.

Amzin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll give you that. I am sometimes disappointed when cool, new enemy designs are added, like that centaur boss,...and then they die in less than 30 seconds. I haven't even seen all of their animations and attacks yet!
I do sometimes give myself some kind of handicap when exploring though, lol. Just using one character, unequipping artifacts or equipping low-level weapons.
That's one of the biggest design elements where Genshin as a gacha comes into play. Imagine longer boss fights and you still have to do them dozens (or hundreds) of times, it would be miserable for most. Honestly they still get tedious with how many times you have to kill them (same for domain fights). After a few dozen fights I'd legitimately enjoy just spending my resin and instantly getting a pop up of my rewards over redoing the fight.

The Abyss is sort of where that goes out the window but IMO Abyss has other design issues that keep it from being fun for more people.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Looks like the latest Genshin album is out on the 14th, which is today on my side of the world.

View: https://open.spotify.com/album/2n2LvBVabXSthRaLEDGGSe?si=0YJfBZkCREWfY10UeTMTFQ

They are releasing the 4.0 albums at a much faster rate than 3.0. I remember waiting around 7 months (?) for the Sumeru desert soundtrack, and it takes not even 3 weeks to get 4.6 music.

Here's the youtube playlist for whenever it's live:

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the latest Genshin album is out on the 14th, which is today on my side of the world.

View: https://open.spotify.com/album/2n2LvBVabXSthRaLEDGGSe?si=0YJfBZkCREWfY10UeTMTFQ

They are releasing the 4.0 albums at a much faster rate than 3.0. I remember waiting around 7 months (?) for the Sumeru desert soundtrack, and it takes not even 3 weeks to get 4.6 music.

Thanks for pointing this out. :) It's already live for me.
Such a good OST as usual.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Behold my Serpent Spine Gladiator..... NAVIA!!!

ivUQnE3.png

She will be Triple Crowned in a few weeks/months...

Her alt build main art set I'll post soon.

She Umbrella Hammers with this one quite well.

vixivian

Feb 25, 2021
I ended up pulling Arle's C6 today before she left. Had a lucky ass streak from C4-6. My plan to C6 a character of each element has solidified! Here's what I've got so far-

Dendro- Nahida C6: Fun nukes, aoe damage is actually insane. She's still missing a dedicated dendro support unit to maximize her on field damage.

Anemo- Xianyun C6: Flying around the map is so much fun. Hitting 400k plunges with XY as main DPS is too. She enables healing on skill at C4, which is nice over world utility too. Overall an amazing support/damage hybrid unit with great exploration utility. Can't ask for much more.

Pyro- Arlecchino C6: Hadn't clicked with any pyro damage dealers until father. I love her kit, her design, she's guaranteed more story time, and I love her little wing she gets at C6. Really just an insane and stylish damage dealer. Her burst hits for 1million+ in the overworld when vaped lol.

Hydro- Neuvillete C4: Didn't manage to pull any cons on his rerun. He is already so strong, and I wanted to invest financially into Arle. Next time he runs, I'll try to grab the last two cons just for the triple hydro pump! I love his kit, character, design and self sustain DPS mechanic. Fun decision to have a playable sovereign.

Electro- Yae/Cyno C4: Got very lucky with Cyno pulls after 3.1 top up reset. Double 5 star pull brought him from
c2 to c6. I was planning on investing in Yae as my electro character, but now I'm unsure who to cap off. I think Cyno's C6 is more visually pleasing and serotonin inducing, but I don't use him much anymore. Yae gets pulled off the bench way more often.

Geo- Navia C3: Who doesn't love Shotgun Impact? So much fun. Just love firing off her gun, and pairing her with Xianyun for axe plunging party. I'll grab her C4 for res reduction next time she runs, and the other cons will wait.

Cryo- Wriothesely C2: His C1 came home in a Hail Mary double five star. Pulled his C2 thinking it would be as easy to use as Wanderer's for a big burst damage increase, but his kit's a bit clunkier with the ramping damage mechanic. I don't think I want to take him any further. Waiting on a cryo DPS that strikes my fancy. Or, might take Shenhe to C6 one day for the crazy support capabilities if there's no new cryo DPS characters for a few years.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up pulling Arle's C6 today before she left. Had a lucky ass streak from C4-6. My plan to C6 a character of each element has solidified! Here's what I've got so far-

Dendro- Nahida C6: Fun nukes, aoe damage is actually insane. She's still missing a dedicated dendro support unit to maximize her on field damage.

Anemo- Xianyun C6: Flying around the map is so much fun. Hitting 400k plunges with XY as main DPS is too. She enables healing on skill at C4, which is nice over world utility too. Overall an amazing support/damage hybrid unit with great exploration utility. Can't ask for much more.

Pyro- Arlecchino C6: Hadn't clicked with any pyro damage dealers until father. I love her kit, her design, she's guaranteed more story time, and I love her little wing she gets at C6. Really just an insane and stylish damage dealer. Her burst hits for 1million+ in the overworld when vaped lol.

Hydro- Neuvillete C4: Didn't manage to pull any cons on his rerun. He is already so strong, and I wanted to invest financially into Arle. Next time he runs, I'll try to grab the last two cons just for the triple hydro pump! I love his kit, character, design and self sustain DPS mechanic. Fun decision to have a playable sovereign.

Electro- Yae/Cyno C4: Got very lucky with Cyno pulls after 3.1 top up reset. Double 5 star pull brought him from
c2 to c6. I was planning on investing in Yae as my electro character, but now I'm unsure who to cap off. I think Cyno's C6 is more visually pleasing and serotonin inducing, but I don't use him much anymore. Yae gets pulled off the bench way more often.

Geo- Navia C3: Who doesn't love Shotgun Impact? So much fun. Just love firing off her gun, and pairing her with Xianyun for axe plunging party. I'll grab her C4 for res reduction next time she runs, and the other cons will wait.

Cryo- Wriothesely C2: His C1 came home in a Hail Mary double five star. Pulled his C2 thinking it would be as easy to use as Wanderer's for a big burst damage increase, but his kit's a bit clunkier with the ramping damage mechanic. I don't think I want to take him any further. Waiting on a cryo DPS that strikes my fancy. Or, might take Shenhe to C6 one day for the crazy support capabilities if there's no new cryo DPS characters for a few years.

Amazing stats and character Constellation report!

following my post with yours though makes me..... *whimmmpaaaahhhh* :( :p

traveler

Oct 26, 2017

Probably my favorite OST they've done.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the event, god Max Mittleman is fucking perfect lmao. Amazing voice on him and doing that shit in character is wild.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That final song is kind of devastating once you find out the connotations behind it 😢

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
Water level osts >>>>>>

The ambience of Remuria, in all its parts soothing, tragic, melancholic, and sunken neath dark waters, is easily the best in the game.

Maybe I have a type, after my faves in FFXIV too lol.