poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
That sounds like a lot more work for the press instead of having everyone all in 1 location to try their games once a year
It is, which is probably why e3 is still even a thing. Still, if your game is good enough and you maybe even cover costs those journalists will happily come. Those costs could obviously be troublesome for smaller pubs and indies though. You also still have stuff such as PAX.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda more surprised he isn't sure about the Xbox conference for the new console.

im sure he'll still watch the show. hes not announcing that he's personally not watching E3. He is announcing that he is not Participating in E3 in cooperation with the ESA (which the MS conference isn't a part of anyway, technically) by producing/hosting the Colosseum.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Most of those e3 coliseum interviews were awful anyway. A lot of them were just employees interviewing their bosses.

Still surprised he won't be there though. I would assume that is the place where he gets all his deal making done.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I was alive when E3 died out. I will remember and treasure this moment.

My favorite time of E3 was when gaming magazines were the way I kept up with gaming news. Seeing all those new games, and constantly reading about them, month after month was exciting. Then came MGS2 trailer, and Bouncer showing off PS2. The videos were amazing, even though I had 56k internet speed (modem, slow internet speed for the kids out there. Yes 56k and there were some below 56k).

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
when were you when e3 die?

i was sat home drinking brain fluid when Geoff Keighley ring

'e3 is kill'

'no'

and you?????????????????

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Love booking off work and staying up for E3, but I think Geoff's show is the reason for that.

I don't think I can deal with all Instagram people doing live videos every 20 minutes to see stuff, so I guess I'll use my holiday time for something else.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First thought is that he's made a decision to boost his own show. Which is perfectly fine.

They'll just replace him with someone, lots of young upcoming gaming journalist get the chance to shine. So not all bad.

But please no twitch/insta twats please.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when digital distribution was just starting to get big and i started thinking this will be nice because we will be able to play e3 demos at the same time as the show, I wonder why this never happened

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Only rinky-dink minnows like Take Two, Activision, Square Enix, Bethesda, Capcom, Epic etc. are bothering with E3. It's clearly doomed.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Going to feel a bit weird but also quite nice using that free gaming holiday time for an actually holiday or something lol.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
I didn't even know about it until today.
Exactly. I mean. Some of that stuff is cool. But it's just a sliver of what's there. Everyone mostly is in line waiting to play games or buying things.. visiting friends. Talking to devs. It's a great time. All this dying talk about E3. 66K or so last year were there. Let's see the numbers after this year before saying anything is dying. Biggest game show in the USA.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I always liked the Geoff-Peter Molyneux interviews during E3, no Molyneux, no Reggie, no Playstation. It's a shame it's not as fun to watch anymore. I honestly prefer the condensed week of press conferences over companies spreading their announcements out.

Oct 25, 2017
I was alive when E3 died out. I will remember and treasure this moment.

My favorite time of E3 was when gaming magazines were the way I kept up with gaming news. Seeing all those new games, and constantly reading about them, month after month was exciting. Then came MGS2 trailer, and Bouncer showing off PS2. The videos were amazing, even though I had 56k internet speed (modem, slow internet speed for the kids out there. Yes 56k and there were some below 56k).

My buddy left his computer on overnight to download the MGS2 trailer (as a Real Media file!). We watched it dozens of times.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when digital distribution was just starting to get big and i started thinking this will be nice because we will be able to play e3 demos at the same time as the show, I wonder why this never happened
Because a lot of times the demos are not ready for mass distribution and/or not running on the machines themselves.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I also think it's funny this forum loved E3 but all of a sudden E3 isn't good.

The market leader is skipping E3 for the 2nd year in a row. Multiple other publishers are also not going as far as i know.
Now some of the biggest gaming journalists are not going.

Yeah...it's weird how suddenly E3 isn't good /s

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I also think it's funny this forum loved E3 but all of a sudden E3 isn't good.

Seems like....Sony doesn't like E3, which has to mean Geoff doesn't like E3, to now obviously Resetera doesn't like E3.....

Restera is not a hive mind. Every piece of gaming-related news doesn't have to be placed in the context of some sort of childish console war.

The E3 security breach was a truly serious problem that the ESA never really even acknowledged fully.

Exactly. Don't underestimate how damaging that doxxing actually was to the E3 brand.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they don't so you're advocating for hundreds if not thousands of "destiny like" events? I don't see how anyone can argue having one less central event is good for journalist.
There are other game conventions that are almost as big, if not bigger than E3. I am saying that E3 is not the end-all-be-all of gaming shows.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Wow so does this mean Judges Week is dead too? Or guess they'll just have to find a new host...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Bummer, Keighley's done some good stuff in there.
Sony what have you started...
Didn't EA start skipping E3 way before Sony did and opted for EA Play instead? I'm pretty sure this was in 2016 already. I think they were the first big publisher to do this and test the waters. (besides those who didn't participate to begin with)

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously fuck ESA. They deserve everything coming their way.

That said, I have to admit that I'm gonna miss how big and important E3 was. It really felt like video games Christmas. Once a year, you knew all your favorite studios were gonna show up and do something there and it was nice to at least have that.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It sucks that E3 is dying, as I loved attending or watching the conferences.

But the blame of all this fall on the ESA; they refused to change with the times, and now that they're doing it, they're moving in a direction most didn't want.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Gaming without E3 is poorer. Having multiple smaller events around the year is no good replacement.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
kylo-ren-let-the-past-die-gif-4.gif

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why some people might like it, must still be a bit weird for MS that the guy who will turn up for the opening of a bag of crisps isn't sure about their conference.

he was never going to be at their conference. What exactly do people think Geoff is announcing here? I'm starting to wonder what some of you even think E3 is.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
he was never going to be at their conference. What exactly do people think Geoff is announcing here? I'm starting to wonder what some of you even think E3 is.

Because you're reading too much into what i'm saying.
Geoff lives and breathes this stuff, even if it's just sitting in the audience being seen there for all the cool shit about to be shown, i'm purely talking about the spectacle.