mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Boogie had already been banned from the old place for trying to claim that certain slurs were okay to say.

He was already a blatant stooge.
Wasn't he banned because he claimed that people discussing how bad harassment was hurting him so people should just roll over and let Gamergate do its thing?
Yeah he always was a piece of shit regardless.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's just a 'Content Creator' award which does not by itself denote most popular then it should go to Mark Brown from Game Maker's Toolkit. His videos are informative, well researched and he talks about topics that don't get much coverage elsewhere (like his recent series on catering for less able bodied gamers).
when I think in content creator, sure I think in Mark or DF Retro. Top of the class.

Also this

This is controversial but I don't consider any person who just flat streams live gameplay (under normal gameplay conditions) a "content creator". I think they've created nothing.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
This is controversial but I don't consider any person who just flat streams live gameplay (under normal gameplay conditions) a "content creator". I think they've created nothing.

Like take someone like Amouranth, incredibly controversial and a lot of gamers hate her, but I consider what she does far more actual "content creation". It's drawing, it's dancing, it's exercise, it's crafting cosplay, all with a gaming flavor. It's a big variety show around gaming that involves a lot of creativity and creation. I'm not personally a fan, but learned about it after reading about how much vitriol people have for her and trying to find out what the deal was, and I respect the work she does even though it's not my bag.

If I were nominating for best content creator it would be people who are actually creating informative insightful stuff, or interesting speculative work. People like Gaming Historian, Boss Keys, Jim Sterling, Shesez, the organizers of GDQ, people along those lines.

I also think most pre-recorded Let's Play type videos DO qualify as content creation and a lot of planning, editing and work goes into some of them. Like I would absolutely list ChipCheezum as one of my favorite content creators.

Streaming Fortnite may be content, but there's no creation involved, it's just a live stream of consciousness, and that stream of consciousness is often diarrhea.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Would you apply this expectation to anyone else? Like if Jimmy Fallon announced there would be no more female guests on the tonight show because the millions and millions of people watching go online and start rumors about them, and he's powerless to stop it, would you find that reasonable or commendable? Ultimately yes, it's his stream, he can do whatever the fuck he wants, it's not like I'm going to watch it anyway, but it's also open to criticism, and I think his stance is taking the easy way out instead of using this position of influence he's been given to try and create some kind of change within his community is a disappointment.

If Fallon felt that the particular community that commented on him was inclined to react that way (which I wouldn't say is the case in that example) and if he felt that he/his family wouldn't be able to handle that reaction, then yes, it's reasonable for him to do that imo. Maybe that would be the easy way out, or maybe not, but ultimately he just wants to protect his family.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I think my issue with this category seems to be that it's always a way of showcasing figures who are already extremely popular and well known instead of being a platform to expose folks to new and promising voices/talent. If you're going to have a category like this it should be a way to draw folks attention to positive new faces in the community not to shower already tremendously popular people with awards. At least imho.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Also what's up with the awards focus on video/streaming? So many talented people write about games (see Jason Schrieirs book from last year) or even podcasts.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I forget, did Ninja apologize for his use of the n-word?
owen-hart-slammy.jpg

Such prestige
Ah, an award for NUGGETS

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Lately he has been getting destroyed for complaining about stream sniping and reporting people. Just look at any post in the last 2 days from him on Twitter.. its just people shitting on him. But you cant deny his reach and what he has done this year. As annoying as he has become...

Aroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't he banned because he claimed that people discussing how bad harassment was hurting him so people should just roll over and let Gamergate do its thing?
Yeah he always was a piece of shit regardless.

Boogie has always been a fascinating case study to me. Yeah he flip flops. Yeah he says a lot of stupid stuff. He also says some insightful stuff time to time too - even the worst of people do have the ability to actually make sense here and there.

I don't really think Boogie is a terrible person on the whole. I think he's someone constantly battling with his own inner demons, his own thoughts, and then the attention he gets because he basically opens up his entire life to the internet. I say it's fascinating because it's basically someone who openly has severe depression showing all the different facets and thoughts that are constantly swirling in his head, some of them really bad thoughts, and it just... it's interesting to see.

I don't really think he's ever harmed anyone, not intentionally, anyways. I also think he does have compassion and empathy for other people. But, due to his own issues and how open he always is, he'll always and forever stick his own foot in his mouth on many controversial topics because he's always battling himself and then, the audience too.

Halfway surprised he isn't completely mentally insane yet.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If he's good enough for Ellen DeGeneres, Drake and ESPN then he's good enough for Geoff Keighley and The Game Awards.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
My understanding of the "no women" thing was that it was done so that he wouldn't have to deal with potential rumors he was cheating on his wife somehow, what I call the Pence excuse.

Problem is this has been a while and I forget where I actually saw this, so I may have misremembered.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Isn't Ninja actually a pretty great streamer now? I heard that he stopped swearing and makes sure his channel is accessible to all viewers.

I'm pretty happy that he's being nominated. Nobody's perfect but he seems to be a pretty good role model, especially considering his huge following.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, I really don't understand the people who are constantly defending Ninja about this bullshit. It's insane.
The only positive to take away is that we now have posters openly defending discrimination against women for future points of referrence for similar topics. If you want to out yourself defending another misogynist by all means show us who you really are.

Isn't Ninja actually a pretty great streamer now? I heard that he stopped swearing and makes sure his channel is accessible to all viewers.

I'm pretty happy that he's being nominated. Nobody's perfect but he seems to be a pretty good role model, especially considering his huge following.
Imagine thinking that not saying naughty words makes you a good role model while you actively discriminate against women.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Wait, how's Ninja a shitstain again? Guy streams Fortnite for like 8 hours every day. A racial slur slips out of his mouth during a song ONCE during this whole period, and he promptly apologizes for it. By the way, that slur is not aimed at anyone (unlike pewdiepie's usage), just part of a rap. People make mistakes. No one is god. What's important is how they behave after the mistake.

Guy says he doesn't want to stream with female streamers as he's married and doesn't want the rumor mill to affect his relationship. Do I agree with him? No. Sounds life a daft reason. Does it make him an asshole? Not at all, just a bit of an idiot.

Can we stop with the pitchforks? Feminist and progressive values have plenty of credible enemies. We don't need to imagine all new ones.

Aroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Like take someone like Amouranth, incredibly controversial and a lot of gamers hate her, but I consider what she does far more actual "content creation". It's drawing, it's dancing, it's exercise, it's crafting cosplay, all with a gaming flavor. It's a big variety show around gaming that involves a lot of creativity and creation. I'm not personally a fan, but learned about it after reading about how much vitriol people have for her and trying to find out what the deal was, and I respect the work she does even though it's not my bag.

If I were nominating for best content creator it would be people who are actually creating informative insightful stuff, or interesting speculative work. People like Gaming Historian, Boss Keys, Jim Sterling, Shesez, the organizers of GDQ, people along those lines.

I also think most pre-recorded Let's Play type videos DO qualify as content creation and a lot of planning, editing and work goes into some of them. Like I would absolutely list ChipCheezum as one of my favorite content creators.

Streaming Fortnite may be content, but there's no creation involved, it's just a live stream of consciousness, and that stream of consciousness is often diarrhea.

I don't think that's a controversial statement. I stream games, but I don't consider myself a streamer. I make other stand alone videos.

That being said, I think the better phrasing for this award is pretty simple: best community entertainer of the year.

This means the person is separate from an actual video game studio, and because entertainment is a much broader term. It can easily encompass streams, where people watch to be entertained, to things like stand alone videos or even articles, that people watch and read to be partially amused and entertained. That oir, streamers should be it's own category. There are so many categories at the TGA's though.

I just hope they show most of the awards on stage or at least on camera this year. It was weird seeing half the awards given out during commercial breaks and one of them last year not even handed out or announced until the day after.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Ninja is so much bigger than this story people here always bring up. Yeah it sucks but the things he has done for charity, for gaming representation as a whole far outweighs it in the eyes of the public. The dude goes on mainstream talk shows with a smile and a well spoken attitude to educate people about gaming and steaming, that's kind of huge in and of itself. I'd say he should definitely win.

Resetera owners must be proud to have so many members that are so much better human beings than just about any person out there that swears or whatever.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only positive to take away is that we now have posters openly defending discrimination against women for future points of referrence for similar topics. If you want to out yourself defending another misogynist by all means show us who you really are.
That is a good point.
Can we stop with the pitchforks? Feminist and progressive values have plenty of credible enemies. We don't need to imagine all new ones.
He's contributing to that all on his own by folding to his toxic community. He's doing a bad job about it and should be called out.

Resetera owners must be proud to have so many members that are so much better human beings than just about any person out there that swears or whatever.
Most of us also don't have a community as toxic as Ninja's that he basically defends and folds to instead of doing the right thing, he doesn't deserve the pass some of you are giving him.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This draws in a certain demographic to watch the Game Awards. They know what they're doing with this. It's a necessary evil for them to keep growing the viewership.

This is the truth, and the Gamer community in a nutshell. And why the toxicity will never change, because people are either profiting from it or too apathetic to rock the boat. They would rather spend their energy complaining about mobile games or yelling the #notallgamers mantra while they fence sit and complain they just want to play vidya games.

OP
OP
Bandage

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet

This isnt about being "perfect".
This is about a world wide stage putting up terrible people to represent an entire industry.
It has no place in an awards ceremony that's trying to promote all the good that comes from gaming.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They really need to remove him from contention, that would be shameful if they allowed that idiot to win anything

lol Get outta here with this nonsense, somehow most of us manage to not use racial slurs, not a high bar to clear. I certainly hope they would be proud of having a forum where people don't think that's okay or should be rewarded.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Also what's up with the awards focus on video/streaming? So many talented people write about games (see Jason Schrieirs book from last year) or even podcasts.

Jeremy Parish should be nominated.

Not only is he running and operating Retronauts' website and Podcast but he's also running multiple "Chronological Exploration" series covering the Game Boy, NES, SNES, and other platforms.

Plus he's publishing books

product_Jeremy_Parish_NES_Works_1985_main_1024x1024.png

product_Jeremy_Parish_NES_Works_1986_main_1024x1024.png

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He tried getting another atreamer banned because Ninja lost the fight and claimed he was stream sniping. He's a toxic asshole who normalizes a lot of shit. Two faced.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I don't hate Ninja the way a lot of you seem to, and I enjoy his streams from time to time, but I do admit he's pretty childish at times (see recent events).
Looking at the nominees, give it to Lupo. I enjoy Myth and Pokimane, but Lupo is a delight. Or TimtheTatMan. Where is TIM!