• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
I love their games, maybe when I get a PS5 I'll pick up a copy of 13 Sentinels.

Dragons Crown is my favorite game from them, wish I could play it again.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I love Vanillawares previous offers mostly because of the art style and the combat. Could this be something for me even if I don't really like anime?

I loved Evangelion and Xenogears back in the day, is this a similar story?
I think if you liked Evangelion and Xenogears then this game is right up your alley.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
GOTY Hands down.

My Vanillaware streak continues to this day...

EIV5oDO.png

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok fine.

I wanted to buy it in it's first sale but if it's this good i'll buy it this week.

Can't play it until i get my PS5 but i usually try to buy games i'm interested in day 1.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
So I'm someone who enjoys all of their games but can understand the criticisms regarding repetition in terms of gameplay and re-using assets.

Dragon's Crown is an example of Vanillaware focusing mostly on the gameplay loop while not spending much time trying to tell a story at all, and 13 Sentinels is kind of the inverse of that.

The core gameplay of 13 Sentinels is divided into two modes that you can switch between at will:

70% of it is a sort of hybrid between a visual novel and a PnC Adventure game. I didn't think I'd be into that, but I absolutely was once I gave the game a chance due to how captivating it all is.

30% of it is an arcadey RTS-meets-tower defense kind of gameplay that sees you managing your squad of mechs against incoming hordes of kaiju attempting the destroy the city.

The story is actually delivered through both of these modes, and the player can engage with the modes in any order they want depending on your mood or preference at the time. In the adventure mode, you're also given the freedom of tackling each character's individual story chapters in whatever order you want as well after clearing the more linear Prologue that precedes it.

This is a really helpful breakdown, thanks! To what extent does this game recycle assets? That part really put me off of Odin Sphere back when it came out on PS2. I was stunned at how few locales were actually present in that game.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No, and it most likely will never come to other platforms. Vanillaware is a very small team (~30 people) and don't have the bandwidth for porting it to other platforms.

That said, it'll work on PS5 by virtue of backwards compatibility. So there's that.

I see - a pity. Didn't they do some HD remaster one of these years? That also never left Playstation?
Maybe I'll go for a let's play then and give it a look. It's too late in the game for me to get a PS4 and I might go without any next Gen console by this point so it would be years until I'm able to play this in the best case.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really helpful breakdown, thanks! To what extent does this game recycle assets? That part really put me off of Odin Sphere back when it came out on PS2. I was stunned at how few locales were actually present in that game.
13 Sentinels easily features the largest number of unique assets of any Vanillaware game. That's not to say that certain areas aren't used extensively throughout the game, as it does center around a particular city (and school). But there are definitely more unique backgrounds, animations, and character illustrations in this game than there have been in previous releases like Dragon's Crown and Odin Sphere.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Dragon's Crown is an example of Vanillaware focusing mostly on the gameplay loop while not spending much time trying to tell a story at all, and 13 Sentinels is kind of the inverse of that.
Exactly, and IMO are their best games thanks to this.

Odin Sphere or Oboromuramasa have more interesting stories than Dragon's Crown, but both games make the player play countless times the same exact sections (same stages, same enemies, repeated bosses) while spreading some story content through all the lenghty playthrough.

Dragon's Crown is a blast to play with friends, the gameplay mechanics are far above any other Vanillaware game and the repetitive use of the stages is more tolerable due to the arcade beat-em-up nature of the game.

13 sentines goes the opposite way and puts all the effort into the narrative sections, that are simply outstanding. Again, the repeated use of assets is more tolerable as VN have always re-used the same backgrounds again and again, and the stars of the show are the writing and voice acting.

So Vanillaware seems to understand their strenght and are using it in a more efficient way on their latest games. 13 Sentinels has surprised me with a story that is not only intriguing, it's also structured in a really smart way and makes you want to know more all the time. The 13 playable characters are also well-written and the way the game slowly adds more depth layers with each new reveal and each new playable character is really good. I don't think the story and writing reach the heights of the best games on the genre like Stenis;Gate or the 2 first Nonary Games titles, but the game has other strenghts, like the art and the surprisingly fun combat sections. One of the best games of the year without a doubt, I always loved Vanillaware games, but after two consecutive masterpieces I'm now confident enough to say that they are one of the best studios right now.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Kamitani is a legend, and he has been one since his early days at Capcom.
Had no idea he was involved with 13 sentinels, and besides I know very little about the game.
Need to try it out now.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If you have a PS4 please give it a chance.
SEGA should really make a little effort and port Odin Sphere, Oboromuramasa, Dragon's Crown and 13 Sentinels to Switch and PC/Xbox. I do think the games will be fairly easy to port due to their reliance on 2D assets and this will help Vanillaware be more popular.

It's not that I have a problem playing the games on my Ps4, not at all, but this gems are too good to be stuck on a single platform, and knowing that SEGA is slowly opening to porting games it would be a shame if they don't try to make all those games available to more players.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Agreed OP, it's an amazing game, with a great story, art and music, and even the combat part is more fun than they seemed in the videos.

And this was my first Vanillaware game in a HD screen (played everything past the PS2 on Vita), I was blown away. Thought about getting Dragon's Crown Pro after that but I still feel burnt out from that after leveling 3 characters on Vita, ha.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed OP, it's an amazing game, with a great story, art and music, and even the combat part is more fun than they seemed in the videos.

And this was my first Vanillaware game in a HD screen (played everything past the PS2 on Vita), I was blown away. Thought about getting Dragon's Crown Pro after that but I still feel burnt out from that, ha.
Can't go wrong with Dragon's Crown Pro. It looks amazing in 4K and is one of the best beat 'em up/RPG hybrids around.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, it's so true. This is my favorite Vanillaware game ever, thanks in large part to the story and characters. It's amazing how deftly they managed to flesh out all of the main cast and weave the various stories together as part of the overall narrative. I was a little unsure about it before release, but Kamitani and co. did not disappoint.

Oct 27, 2017
The whole naked thing does look like it will be one of those Kojima shame and deeds stuff. Two characters have an art that lookss sexualized (but not the rest weirdly enough). I usually complain abou this issue a lot but the game definitely earns the excuse they put out. I don't know how else they would have done it.

It is really weird it turned out as it is. They could have easily gone all the way but thankfully they didn't.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about halfway through and it's one of the most brilliant things I've ever played. Everyone needs to play this game.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
The writing in this game breaks my brain. 13 storylines from 13 protagonists, all interwoven and presented out of chronological order, generally letting you play them in any order you please, in a story where significant twists happen every twenty minutes or so for over 20 hours.

It upends everything I know about writing structure, and leaves me in awe that the human brain can still easily follow along something so complex.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
PLAY GRIMGRIMOIRE, PEOPLE!

So many people slept on that game and that also has great writing (was my favourite Vanillaware game for story for a long time).

13 Sentinels really is excellent though. Loving it and GOTY for me.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's my GOTY and I don't see anything else releasing this year being close to it. The feeling of satisfaction when the story pieces come together as I progress through the game is simply magical.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
wow, i thought this game is shit, because no one was talking about this, but now i will buy game, once it hits below 30€.

Oct 27, 2017
The writing in this game breaks my brain. 13 storylines from 13 protagonists, all interwoven and presented out of chronological order, generally letting you play them in any order you please, in a story where significant twists happen every twenty minutes or so for over 20 hours.

It upends everything I know about writing structure, and leaves me in awe that the human brain can still easily follow along something so complex.
For sure.

It is like 999 and VLR but on another level. Going back and reading the files without feeling lost is an amazing feeling.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I'll see if i can i give it a try, i hope i'm not getting another Automata situation here.
This forum sold me that game like it should've won the pulitzer back in 2017.

Oct 27, 2017
SEGA should really make a little effort and port Odin Sphere, Oboromuramasa, Dragon's Crown and 13 Sentinels to Switch and PC/Xbox. I do think the games will be fairly easy to port due to their reliance on 2D assets and this will help Vanillaware be more popular.
I don't know why devs don't want my money. I get Vanillaware probably can't port them themselves, but another company could be hired to

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Am I the only one who thought Odin Sphere was lovely written? Yeah it's a simple little fairy tale, but that's why it works.

Nope. It's good.
GrimGrimoire has a great mystery plot with a great cast.
Muramasa's storylines were good too.
The Muramasa DLCs had great writing too, to be honest (the villagers DLC especially was really well done).

Kamitani was always really underrated as a writer. It's only now he's getting his dues since he made a VN game.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll see if i can i give it a try, i hope i'm not getting another Automata situation here.
This forum sold me that game like it should've won the pulitzer back in 2017.

Well it's a very Sci-fi story full of different sci-fi tropes. The uniqueness of the game is that it uses the medium of being a video game incredibly well to create a story that can't really been done in another medium and gain the same kind of satisfaction from putting pieces together.