immy

Banned
Jul 3, 2022
Rewatching the original trilogy this week.

Mandalorian and Andor are better then any star wars movie

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I watched all of them as an adult and Jar Jar is by far the worst fucking character in a work of fiction I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The problem with the prequels isn't that they were dark, the problem is they were mind numbingly boring and a veritable drinking game of "take a shot every time you see a CG alien based on a racist caricature."

ANuclearError

Nov 25, 2017
The prequels, for me, are still shit.

The sometimes bordering on racist alien designs are shit.
The dialogue is shit.
The chemistry between Natalie and Hayden is shit.
The lightsaber battles all being flippy nonsense is shit.
Having Chewbacca a gratuitous cameo is shit.
Yoda using a lightsaber like 5 year old having too many Skittles is shit.
Yoda and Palpatine using lightsabers at all is shit.
Anakin's turn in RotS is shit.

For a more serious mindset, I think one of the fundamental flaws, story wise, is the 10 year gap between 1 and 2, as I think it subsequently meant there was less time to justify Anakins turn to the dark side, which is the whole premise of the damn trilogy.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Did you watch the interview this is from by chance? He mentions we've been using AI in film for 25 years. He's not necessarily talking about generative AI that we've been seeing lately. This is something that a lot of VFX workers have been combatting lately because when people see the words AI and film together on social media, everyone freaks out and by the time the VFX artists get to explain what's going on, people have already moved on.

View: https://x.com/brutofficiel/status/1794018944602259706?s=46&t=6c6lsBBbH2CiU2s3cbciAQ

George also thinks cinema will be the same as it is now in 10 years anyways.

Generative AI has also been used in engineering for decades and likely other industries. None of this is new what's new is that it got good enough for the condume to use and get decent results.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
The dialogue is shit.

The dialogue was always shit. It's not for nothing that Harrison Ford lost it with Lucas once and told him, "You can write this shit George, but you can't say it". The OT is infamous for being laughed at for having ridiculous and nonsense dialogue. It was one of the more common critiques against it back in the day, especially by film critics.

Yoda using a lightsaber like 5 year old having too many Skittles is shit.

I understand not liking it but it does make sense. Yoda is tiny and he needs to nullify the disadvantage that his height puts him at. That means getting on the level of opponents when fighting them. I suppose they could have had him more grounded and focusing on removing his opponents limbs, but I did notice that Dooku and Palpatine both had to look and focus downwards quite a lot in their duels with him, so he is already trying that.

Honestly I loved it when I first saw it. Above all I was actually intimidated when this small green creature, that so far we'd only seen move as slowly as his great age would imply, suddenly started screaming and leaping at his opponent. That's a different kind of duelling and I thought it worked well for who Yoda was and the disadvantage that is his height. Using the in-universe explanation of his adapting Form IV lightsaber combat works perfectly as well.

Yoda and Palpatine using lightsabers at all is shit.

Why? Is it only because they didn't have them in the original films? I don't see that as being a valid reason for them wielding weapons is a shit thing to happen. Yoda lost his and lived on a world where he had no materials to make another, and if he was discovered he knew he had no chance of survival. So that makes sense. Palpatine lost his and now all of the Jedi are dead, certainly the most powerful of them, and those who remain are scattered throughout the galaxy, running and hiding, being hunted and pursued by Vader and all Imperial forces. Palpatine isn't in danger of being confronted by anyone. He doesn't need his lightsaber any more, and it's already shown that he's far stronger in the Force than he is a duellist. It makes sense to me.

For a more serious mindset, I think one of the fundamental flaws, story wise, is the 10 year gap between 1 and 2, as I think it subsequently meant there was less time to justify Anakins turn to the dark side, which is the whole premise of the damn trilogy.

Yeah, agreed, and with all of your other points.

Last edited:

Tack

Oct 30, 2017
I was born in '91 and so the perfect age to absolutely love the prequels. I liked OG, but they already felt dated back then.
One of my problems with the sequels is all the OG nostalgia but nothing for us prequel-lovers.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Being a kid is a state of mind, though. Ask any manchild on the internet, they know.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
Now that I think about it the prequels will definitely age better than the JJabrams movies

Feb 24, 2018
Watership Down is a family movie.....

Pointing to Watership is a perfect example because their not kids movies but family movies. Martin Rosen in fact, the Director of Watership Down was in fact VERY frustrated by parents that complained to him about his film being a bad "kids movie" because of the violence and because those parents automatically assume animated - kids movie despite neither the book or film every hiding the fact it was made for adults and kids in mind, the poster kind of makes that clear:
s-l1200.jpg

Family and Kids movies are two very different things, something that seems to get forgotten on the web which makes the film student in me cry (especially when I see elitists use it against the MCU or whatever is popular). Kids movies are made specifically for kids (which as pointed out, doesn't = bad, I've seen plenty of kids movies and shows, that out emotionally impact "mature" adult works) while family movies are made for everyone to enjoy which both the originals and the prequels work amazingly well at.

People keep bringing up the political intrigue of Prequel as a sign of them being bad kids movies, except it's pretty obvious that those scene (which are not as long as people make out) are meant for the adults first and foremost while being palatable enough that kids can get the basic idea, interspersed with action scenes that both the adults and parents in the audience as well as the kids will enjoy. Same with the extreme violence like the corpse of Owen and Beru or the bloody hand (followed by the sigh of 3PO burning Jawa corpses), none of that is what you'd make for kids movies.

George's Friend Steven Spielberg I'd say is a master of family movies, especially the 70s and 80s and Jurassic Park. Like Jurassic Park, Most kids are there to see the Dinosaurs, the chases etc and lets be honest, so are most of the adults; however JP is more than that as it lot of quiet scenes discussing the ethics of making Dinosaurs which are designed that kids will get the basic idea (especially use Mr DNA) but adults will fully get and enjoy. Same with Raiders of the Lost, or ET or Jaws.

Family movies are really hard to get right because you're trying to balance what would kids like with what would adults like without going too far in one direction.

Also I really just hate the "Prequels have too much politics" stuff because I don't think it's true (and feel the pushback at the time resulted in George cutting most of Padme's best scenes in Revenge of the Sith) but it kind of ignores the Originals were heavily political and had scenes like that:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNSnJbjdws
No they weren't. They were homages to the serials George grew up with.

They were always FAMILY movies, intended for all ages.

I don't doubt that he's convinced himself that they were kids movies, especially with how parts of the fandom use that same argument to defend from criticism.

But the originally trilogy has a guy kill people with his mind, someone's hand get cut off, someone get made into a trophy made out of metal where it was suggested he would die. And multiple people get tortured.

They are not kid movies. And even if they were, that doesn't excuse bad writing. Kids media needs to be good and smart as well.

Kids media needs to quality as well. Otherwise why not just film some guy dangling keys in front of the camera.

Well said.

Feb 24, 2018
Nobody complained about the special editions existing. Everyone was excited to go see that shit in theaters. The complaints came after because he decided he should erase the originals from existence. And he has decades of lying and twisting about how things played out or were intended. Again, even here, he is acting like the only possible choices are the originals looking like shit or the special editions looking good. Meanwhile fans have taken it upon themselves to do a pretty damn good job at making the original movies look great in 4k with the Project 4K77 stuff.
It's not just Star Wars either, THX1138, one of his earlier movies also suffers from this issue that only the altered version is available. Like this was to the point that Star Wars had it's addition to the National Achieves to be preserved delayed for years because he refused to give them anything but the special edition until he finally gave him; he actively did want the original versions preserved which is just baffling to me.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020

b5a67243dbfb20c07c383836f45ba15d6f95bb2a.gif

Beheadings and school shootings. You know, it's a kids movie. Fun for the whole family!
And you think kids can't handle these scenes?
I was like 10 when I watched Revenge of the Sith for the first time. And I LOVED the movie so much, I still consider it one of my favourites.

Many millennials watched stuff like Robocop, Terminator, Starship Troopers, etc. with their parents. The violence in Star Wars prequels is nowhere near that bad.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I've re read the article you linked multiple times and unless the horrific amount of ads are hiding it (I'm on mobile) it never states the book or that there even was a book just saying that:

"Original Star Wars trilogy almost had a much darker ending, according to George Lucas transcripts"

It then gives a little intro and skips to what the transcripts supposedly say.

It then ends with the "it's for kids" defense and then negs on the first two sequel trilogy movies for some reason.

If you know the book name please share. I already own two books on the making of Star Wars and would love to read another. No joke.
Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays

I was like 10 when I watched Revenge of the Sith for the first time. And I LOVED the movie so much, I still consider it one of my favourites.

Many millennials watched stuff like Robocop, Terminator, Starship Troopers, etc. with their parents. The violence in Star Wars prequels is nowhere near that bad.
Within like the first ten minutes of Avengers Endgame, which had tons of kids watching, Thanos gets decapitated and his blood very specifically gets splattered on his daughter's face.

Feb 24, 2018
It's a movie about space wizards. Why is everyone so angry?

View: https://youtu.be/kodyAoM9854?si=dCKXvlRdDmVNDfu3

You realize a work being Fantasy, Sci-Fi or both doesn't make it a kids work right or are we really doing this archaic elitist mode of thinking now? You really think works like Foundation, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Baldur's Gate, Dune (which also has space wizards) etc are "kids" works? That's incredibly narrow way of thinking about genres and shit on the many creatives who have made amazing adult sci-fi and fantasy works.

Also I'm not even sure what point you're even getting at here, someone ruining other people's fun and snobbish, yeah that's not exclusive to kids work; you get that shit with D&D role-playing sessions.

Oct 27, 2017
They're bad films with crappy dialogue, flat cinematography and poor acting. No need to defend them. I personally think most people that like them only do due to nostalgia and the memes.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
"We did release the original one on laserdisc and everybody got really mad, they said, 'It looks terrible.' And I said, 'Yeah, I know it did,'" said Lucas. "That is what it looked like."
Comes off disingenuous as fuck given this guy co-founded THX.

Jun 24, 2019
Attack of the Clones was mid and the politics were a snooze fest, but I overall did enjoy the prequels as a kid.

#EndJarJarHate #EmbraceTheBombad

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah these posts are weird to me. I constantly see Gen X'ers fondly remembering how dark kids media was in the 80s and 90s, and I certainly don't remember any backlash about the violence in these movies at the time. The original trilogy had planets getting blown up, overt depictions of slavery, luke getting his hand chopped off (and electrocuted). It's not like the prequel trilogy was uniquely violent, I saw worse stuff in Ocarina of Time at a much younger age for crying out loud.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
The prequels were great. All three trilogies are. Even the entries I don't like are good in their own regard and I get why people love them.

And there's a reason you're seeing an overall change of opinion about the prequels, it's because all of us kids that grew up loving them are older and louder now. But that's also lead to some of the same toxicity that those fans got from the OT Stans towards the ST. So it's just a constant loop of toxicity really. People are just assholes and we as a world allow the assholes to be assholes.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit disingenuous to claim you know what the creator of something "really meant" more than the creator themselves. If he says it's a kid's movie, then it's a fucking kid's movie. Just because something isn't 100% sunshine and rainbows and cute little animals doesn't mean it can't still be a kid's movie.

I didn't much care for Jar-Jar either, but I fully understood what his purpose was, and I supported Lucas's decision for him to exist.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
Welp, George, this forum is filled with a lot of people who were young teens when that trilogy started coming out, and we don't view it as fondly as you'd expect.

It's actually as an adult in my late 30s, post ep.7-9, that I rewatched 1-3 and had more appreciation for what they were trying to do. It was at least a cohesive prequel trilogy.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
As somebody who never watched Star Wars as a kid, upon seeing them as an adult (the OG and Prequels anyway - couldn't be bothered with anything else) it was immediately obvious to me that they were kids movies. The entire series is for children. I do think the powerful drug that is nostalgia understandably makes this borderline impossible to understand for those who grew up with these films but from an outsiders perspective this is not entertainment for grown-ups at all.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"My not-so-thinly veiled critique of the GOP and the Bush administration was meant for kids, you fucking assholes"

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved them as a kid, and still thoroughly enjoy them today. Attack of Clones being a bit ehh though.

The dialogue is absolutely horrendous at times, and most of the subplots are pretty useless. But most of the art direction and design are the absolute best of the entire franchise, John Williams is absolutely on fire, and the memorable moments are among the best of the entire franchise as well. Luke stepping outside of his home as he watches the the dual sunset on Tatooine during A New Hope is probably among my favorite moments in the history of cinema. But other than that I think podracing, the Darth Maul lightsaber fight, the depth charges, Anakin Obi fight, the space combat at the start of III, and Obi and Qui-Gon having to escape the Trade Fedaration ship at the start of I are just peak Star Wars moments.

The entire package might be a bit hit or miss, but the highlights shine bright.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
There's a generation out there that's younger than the demo of people still using web forums in 2024 and they do like the prequels and that's okay. Putting the prequels on trial again like it's still fifteen years ago is something the aging fandom's gotta learn to let go.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, I enjoy plenty of things made for kids, but I can't say the excuse "but it's for kids" really makes the movies any better.

That said. I still like RotS a lot though, that movie was fun and I can see the "it's just a fun action movie aimed at kids" angle for just that one.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I'm sort of over this prequel redemption movement that's pretending that they're not bad films, which largely seems to be in response to the current state of Star Wars. You can grow up with a movie and still enjoy it as an adult, even if it's not a good movie. Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, but you don't have to vehemently defend the movies and dismiss the legitimate flaws. I liked both trilogies as a kid, but as an adult the prequels did not hold up whereas the originals did (aside from Lucas's awful vandalism).

Last edited:

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Even in the vein of like Avatar the Last Airbender where it's for kids but has mature themes, I think he is wrong lol. I mean maybe jar jar binks and the Ewoks are for kids? But whatever it's ok Georgie I love your Star Wars still.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I always hated that excuse.

Like yeah, they're meant for kids, so what? Does that give you a free pass to half ass it because you don't have to respect kids as much? Cmon man.l

I also feel it's a "trying to have its cake and eat it too". Obviously he tried to have more mature themes in there as others have pointed that. I don't even hate the prequels but if you wanna divest of your art and act dismissive of its quality by saying "Whatever, it's just for kids" then you also don't get to act all huffy at people saying it's a piece of junk. Kids deserve your efforts too

Feb 24, 2018
It's a bit disingenuous to claim you know what the creator of something "really meant" more than the creator themselves. If he says it's a kid's movie, then it's a fucking kid's movie. Just because something isn't 100% sunshine and rainbows and cute little animals doesn't mean it can't still be a kid's movie.

I didn't much care for Jar-Jar either, but I fully understood what his purpose was, and I supported Lucas's decision for him to exist.
By that logic whenever a Ubisoft or other company game director or CEO declares their politically heavy game is "not political" we shouldn't ever question it or critique because their word is the law apparently.

George has flip flopped over the years and have said things that contradict themselves plus more importantly in this context and as pointed out, it's pretty obvious he's saying this to deflect from criticism and in a really shitty way that diminishes the work of actual writers and creators of good Children's media.

Even if we accept Star Wars are "kids" movies (they aren't their family films), how does that make any of the criticisms less valid? It doesn't, it only does if you assume kids movies are lesser art where the quality of the writing, acting, directing doesn't matter which is fucking shitty. I've met people who've written for children's media, my screenwriting lecturer had worked on both adult and children's media and worked as off on both, making sure the scripts he was producing were engaging, fun and just as provoking as any of the adult projects he worked.

It would fucking sting if the director or producer of those projects deflected criticism by going "hey it's just a kids show!" which is exactly the crap George is doing now. It's a slap in the face to people who worked their arses off and crunched (because let's not pretended there was a lot of crunching for those movies), it's a slap in the face to actors who did the best with what they got, it's a slap in the face to every creative of Children's and Family media who try to make great works and it's just a pathetic way to dismiss criticism.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
As a kid I was dazzled by the CGI and action sequences, but even then I felt the prequels lacked a lot of things I liked about the original trilogy.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I was in 6th grade when Phantom Menace came out. I was firmly obsessed with Star Wars for most of my life already, collecting toys, posters, etc, reading all the novels, rewatching the OT again and again and again (all three recorded off HBO on one VHS). Seeing the Special Editions in theaters was magical.

I loved The Phantom Menace. Darth Maul was cool. The space came/goat thing farted and it was funny. Jar Jar doing his Bill Cosby dentist impression was funny.

I didn't realize these movies were bad until Revenge of the Sith. I was so disappointed in how stupid Anakin's downfall actually was. At the end, after the "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" scene, I distinctly remember one of my friends saying "That's not James Earl Jones." Like, James Earl Jones would never.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think there's a difference between aiming for a general audience and including children, and setting the scope so wide that you are desperately trying to include toddlers in your target audience to the point where it makes the rest of the work suffer.

I don't think toddlers would have been very interested in the original trilogy because it was comparatively more geeky sci-fi type stuff than the prequel trilogy. In no way do Ewoks even compare to jarjar. I never tune out of the original trilogy when Ewoks scenes are happening the way I do basically every jarjar scene.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I mean I don't disagree but I remember watching AOTC at like 11 years old and having the realization that it was possible that you could experience boredom when going to the movies.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Take Watership Down, for instance. It was rated PG and was shown on television at times of the day when children were watching. I'm sure my aunt just saw cartoon rabbits on the television and had us watch that to be quiet, and then didn't pay as much attention to it as she went around doing chores. That film has some terrifying moments in it and I know generations of children were scarred by it (I was one of them!). And it retains that PG rating and television stations to this day get a small number of complaints from parents whenever it's shown.

Interesting that it's PG. Was that made before PG-13 was a thing?

Kinda like the PG rated Jaws.

edit: yeah, Watership Down is 1978 and PG-13 was created in 1984, so I guess they don't retroactively go back and change previously assigned ratings.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I grew to enjoy more episodes 1 and 3, but 2 is just way too insufferable and boring. I don't have strong feelings for episode 6 either, it's a very messy film with the exception of the throne room scene.

The sequels (RO, 7 and 8) are way, way better. Sucks that Rey's story ended with 9 which didn't know what to do with all the online outrage and fighting over the previous two films - I would still prefer to watch it 100 times over episode 2 though.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like he does not need to say anything. Time has proven him right and he already won. Tons of people (especially those that were younger when they came out) like most of the prequels.