Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
George Lucas: "Anakin's rationalize is: 'Everybody is after power. Even the Jedi are after power.' Therefore, he thinks, "They're all equally corrupt now. So which side am I going to be on? Do I align myself with Palpatine, who is a Sith Lord and who can possibly help me save Padme? Or do I side with the Jedi and maybe lose Padme."

It's less everyone is evil but me and more everyone sucks.

Palpatine: Remember back to your early teachings. All who gain power are afraid to lose it. Even the Jedi.

Anakin: The Jedi use their power for good.

Palpatine: Good is a point of view, Anakin. The Sith and Jedi are similar in almost every way including their quest for greater power.

Anakin: The Sith rely on their passion for their strength. They think inwards only about themselves.

Palpatine: And the Jedi don't?

Anakin: The Jedi are selfless. They only care about other.

Palpatine(changes tactics):.........You ever hear the story of Darth Plaguies the Wise?

Anakin just adopts Palpatine's point of view after he helps murder Mace.

As another Youtuber said: "Everyone is evil so does he become evil with Padme alive or Padme dead?"

Or in other words:

BOTH SIDES!!!!

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much that this idea was lost on people, but rather that it was telegraphed so poorly on screen.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Glad George is explaining us the intricacies of the writing in the prequels. Such a complex text to analyze.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's still impressive that in a trilogy whose only purpose was to show why Anakin became Vader Lucas managed to still make it feel rushed and totally unearned

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The old intent vs. execution thing again, eh? Just because the intent of a scene is reasonable and understandable doesn't mean the execution isn't absolutely terrible.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
66ky60pynnpz.jpg

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
If Mace did kill Palpatine then Anakin would have a leg to stand on.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
line probably should've read like "you're all just as evil... thinking you sovereignty over the galaxy" or some such

i never thought it was that bad but with the delivery it's hard not to clown on

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Anakin: My butt smells like poo and there's poo coming out of my butt, it's coming out right now

Lucas: He had to shit

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's not complex or hard to understand... it's just written and directed badly.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I mean George, we know what you were going for.

I think it would have been more interesting if Anakin flipped in Attack of the Clones, and spent Episode III trying to maintain an awkward peace with Obi-Wan and Padme while tensions between the Jedi and the government mounted and he would ultimately choose to sever ties.

Heroes in the more classical sense maybe?

Heroes to their followers, I would assume.

Oct 25, 2017
You know I think I prefer back in the day when creators didn't explain too much shit about their work. I'm looking at Lucas and Rowling specifically

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
You know I think I prefer back in the day when creators didn't explain too much shit about their work. I'm looking at Lucas and Rowling specifically

True. I gotta give Lucas a little bit of an edge though. At least to my knowledge George hasn't talked about Jedis shitting on the floor yet.

Oct 25, 2017