jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021

"It's like saying, 'I don't believe these cars are gunna work. Let's just stick with the horses.' "

Lucas gave a wide-ranging interview to French outlet Brut FR at the Cannes Film Festival recently, which you can watch in full below, in which he talks about his history in film, his thoughts on the future of cinema, and more. At one point during the 10-minute chat (around the 5:30 mark), the interviewer asks Lucas about how he feels about the use of AI in filmmaking, and Lucas starts by touching on the visual effects company he founded, Industrial Light and Magic (ILM), and the ways in which it's changed cinematic technology.

"Well, we've been using it for 25 years, and it's not AI, but we use all the digital technology because we pioneered a lot of that," he says. "Because especially at ILM, we were the only place that was doing digital."

"But the thing of it is," Lucas goes on, "it's inevitable. I mean, it's like saying, 'I don't believe these cars are gunna work. Let's just stick with the horses. Let's stick with the horses.' And yeah, you can say that, but that isn't the way the world works."

Lucas is far from the only big name who's been weighing in on AI as of late. Just earlier this week, Naughty Dog boss and The Last of Us co-creator Neil Druckmann said in an interview that he feels AI will "revolutionize" the video game development process, but still acknowledged the "ethical issues" surrounding it.

tadpole: https://sea.ign.com/star-wars-episo...cial-intelligence-in-filmmaking-is-inevitable

does he also think the SAG AFTRA deal sooner or later will be irrelevant?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. It's already here. It's already in Star Wars! They used AI for Darth Vader's voice in Obi-Wan.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I wish people would stop generalizing it as "AI". It's like saying "it's inevitable that math will be used in filmmaking."

Like, sure "AI" as a concept is so broad that I'm sure it will (and already is, because the recent uptick in AI bullshit is just a branding exercise), be used in "good ways", but that's just hedging your bets and not really saying what you think.

If someone says "we're using machine learning to better simulate diffuse smoke or explosions or film grain or mask outlines" or whatever, fine. That's not what most people are really worried about, though, and that's not what some of the shittiest people on earth are selling.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
ai lip syncing definitely will happen at some point for dubbing like it already kinda exists in games

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I think so too. It's too useful for many companies not to use. Technology has always changed our lives. We're that at point in our lives with AI, for better or for worse.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would stop generalizing it as "AI". It's like saying "it's inevitable that math will be used in filmmaking."

Like, sure "AI" as a concept is so broad that I'm sure it will (and already is, because the recent uptick in AI bullshit is just a branding exercise), be used in "good ways", but that's just hedging your bets and not really saying what you think.

If someone says "we're using machine learning to better simulate diffuse smoke or explosions or film grain or mask outlines" or whatever, fine. That's not what most people are really worried about, though, and that's not what some of the shittiest people on earth are selling.
This, it makes the conversations so irritating because while AI could certainly be used to make film making, effects and such easier there is also the very obvious and much less humane act of outright replacing people and their work with AI generated things. In turn costing jobs, livelihoods and severely impacting the art.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Brut mentionned on Era! Yay!

Yeah, "AI" is so broad. I KNOW it's about generative AI, but I generaly have opinions on outlets pitching "AI did this" or "This, seen by AI" I mean Quake foes had AI as well so what are we talking about here, please be precise.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Exactly. All AI features in software making the life of an already employed person easier are amazing. Like the VFX examples you mentioned. I mean, yes please!

But where it's a big no-no is the generative kind of AI that companies want to deploy with the goal of making a buck by cutting jobs. Or, like with the very recent example of Google, some generative AI that's so often wrong that all it does is spreading misinformation and give dangerous advises to people. That's the type of AI people are rightfully worried about.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Also, there's something to be said about the fact that the world fucking sucks now because of cars.
Horses also had their own issues though. Not 100% sure car's are a net good, probably will be given the impact it has had on rising living standards for at least some of us. Maybe fucked some others over.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Horses also had their own issues though

For sure, and cars have a lot of plusses, but "look what happened when we went from cars to horses" is more of an argument for "there's good to be had here, but we should move forward with judgement and forethought rather than just opening everything up and plowing ahead until it's impossible to change trajectory because everything is so entrenched and embedded."

It's exactly what the AI players are trying now. Rush in everywhere before slow governments/the populace can react and then (never) deal with issues later because there are too many monied interests who stand to lose.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It's not an endorsement, it's a statement of fact. As if increasingly budget conscious studios won't look for ways to cut corners and cut headcount.