Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
N5xTHgf.png

"The German games market once again grew significantly overall in 2023: sales of games, games hardware and gaming online services rose by 6 per cent to around 9.97 billion euros. This is a significant increase after sales had only risen by 1 per cent in the previous year. The biggest growth drivers include games consoles and their accessories as well as in-game and in-app purchases. Despite the large number of top-class titles, which increased sales of games purchases by 4 per cent, the number of games sold fell by 8 per cent at the same time. There were also significant declines in some cases for gaming PCs and laptops. The data on the German games market is based on surveys conducted by the consumer panel services GfK and data.ai."

Full press release (English): Game - The German Games Industry Association

5IY0koh.png

O5QwYJx.png

vY0wHR7.png

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
2023 saw the end of PS5 stock shortages alongside some discounted deals (75 Euro off). I'm sure that was a boon for the industry.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
So in Germany video games consoles tend to sell more and in USA according to mat pizarella they tend to sell less. got it.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda crazy to see PC gaming declining in Germany. I remember back in the early 2000s Germany was kinda seen as a PC gaming bastion when most of the rest of Europe and America wasn't relative to the console market

Don't know if this was just a perception but living in Germany I know PC gaming was huge back then compared to console (around me)

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
Kinda crazy to see PC gaming declining in Germany. I remember back in the early 2000s Germany was kinda seen as a PC gaming bastion when most of the rest of Europe and America wasn't relative to the console market

Don't know if this was just a perception but living in Germany I know PC gaming was huge back then compared to console (around me)
I don't know how they count Gaming PCs here, probably just pre-build systems? So everyone who just buys some components is not in this statistic?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I'm pretty sure the "PC Gaming accessories" figure with over €1.2b includes GPUs, CPUs and parts to make your own PC.

There's no way it's only headsets and other accessories.

I don't know how they count Gaming PCs here, probably just pre-build systems? So everyone who just buys some components is not in this statistic?

If i have to guess they are probably the pre-built systems you can find in MediaMarkt and everywhere else, because the accessories stat has over >1.2 billion in revenue and they 100% include GPUs, RAM, CPUs etc...

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Last year was the first year in a long time in which all current game consoles were easily available on the market,' says Felix Falk. 'The huge revenue gain in this category in 2023 shows how great the pent-up demand was among players. On the other hand, there was a clear drop in sales revenues from gaming PCs. After investing in PCs and laptops during the Covid-19 pandemic, a lot of video game players seem to be well-equipped for the moment.'

Interesting point of view here, I built a PC during covid too.

OP
OP
Nerun

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017

"In stark contrast, gaming PCs registered a clear decline as revenues from PCs and laptops marketed specially for games dropped by 17 per cent, to 547 million euros. Accessories for gaming PCs – including special input devices, graphic cards, etc. – fared only slightly better, with revenues falling by 7 per cent, to just under 1.3 billion euros."

So I would say it is mostly pre-build gaming PCs and gaming laptops, not that much about users building their own gaming pc, though there is also a decline in graphic cards sales, etc. as mentioned.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
If i have to guess they are probably the pre-built systems you can find in MediaMarkt and everywhere else, because the accessories stat has over >1.2 billion in revenue and they 100% include GPUs, RAM, CPUs etc...
Yeah they only list graphics cards here in the examples. So the overall gaming pc spending is probably "Gaming PC" category and some parts of the accessories. Maybe still as big as the console market with 1b.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
The different developments in the individual market segments also show that 2023 was a year of contrasts for the games industry as a whole: on the one hand, more high-calibre titles were released within twelve months than ever before. On the other hand, some sales expectations were not met, particularly due to this abundance of outstanding games.

June and October 2023 were stacked from what I remember.

alexdotgames

Dec 5, 2021

This is, as always, the most important slide of them all. That in-game purchases dominate game purchases at a ratio of more than 4 to 1 is just insane.

Any discussions about whether video games are art is irrelevant when consumers are far more likely to pay for the new skin, dance, jingle in the already existing GaaS than a new (or old!) video game.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
This is, as always, the most important slide of them all. That in-game purchases dominate game purchases at a ratio of more than 4 to 1 is just insane.

Any discussions about whether video games are art is irrelevant when consumers are far more likely to pay for the new skin, dance, jingle in the already existing GaaS than a new (or old!) video game.

As much as I cheer the rise in console gaming, this slide was also my biggest take-away from the reporting. And it makes me quite sad when I think about the continued viability of single-player games that don't have micro-transactions or DLC.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting PC sales are going down, maybe it's just because PCs can last longer, so not many people buying as frequently? Or because the numbers aren't showing component upgrades and only fully built PCs are being shown? Interesting console sales are going up too. I was kinda of the impression PC sales were increasing and consoles decreasing over time, but guess that's not the case everywhere at least.

Yeah it's crazy it's got to that point, but not fully surprising considering the cost to make in-game items compared to a whole game for example and how much they can charge for in-game items too and people still pay.
It is a sad state of affairs to a degree, I guess people just see they have limited time, chose a game to put time towards and fine to pay money to "enhance" that experience than really "getting their money's worth" and getting more full games instead.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I cheer the rise in console gaming, this slide was also my biggest take-away from the reporting. And it makes me quite sad when I think about the continued viability of single-player games that don't have micro-transactions or DLC.

I mean a lot of these are mobile game micro-transactions, right? So not too surprising

Sabin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most of these sold consoles end up being single games machines that either play Fifa or Fortnite. Especially younger generation seem to turn into one game player only.