• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Title is my own; searched and didn't find anything. Sorry if it's old!

German artists reveal truth behind neo-Nazi doxing campaign

A group of artists said it created a website for people to denounce their neo-Nazi acquaintances. But the doxing website was actually a so-called honeypot engineered to get members of the far-right to reveal themselves.

A group of artists known as the Center for Political Beauty (ZPS) had previously said that their "Special Commission Chemnitz" campaign was an effort to get people to dox friends, neighbors or colleagues they saw in pictures from far-right demonstrations that took place in the city of Chemnitz earlier this year. The ZPS also promised monetary rewards for the denunciations.

But now the group has revealed that the true nature of the soko-chemnitz.de website was to get far-right supporters to supply their own names, which they did by using the site's search function.

"Thank you, dear Nazis," ZPS wrote on the site, explaining in detail how they used the searches to discover the identities of at least 1,500 participants in the violent anti-immigrant protests in Chemnitz.

"This is the most relevant set of data on right-wing extremism that currently exists in Germany," ZPS founder Philipp Ruch told German news agency EPD.

ZPS said it recorded search terms users entered, usually a person's first and last name, to create a list of potential far-right sympathizers. The average visitor searched for the names of 6.7 friends, according to ZPS. By comparing the names a user searched for with a list of names of people thought to sympathize with the far-right, ZPS expanded the network of potential far-right supporters.

Shortly after the launch of the site, the ZPS said that an angry mob stormed their office in Chemnitz, and when the police came, they confiscated the group's posters of far-right demonstrators.

https://m.dw.com/en/german-artists-reveal-truth-behind-neo-nazi-doxing-campaign/a-46606772

tl;dr Website was created to identify Nazis at a riot. Said rioters searched the database to see if their names were on there; their search was recorded and checked to see if it matched a protestor. They also searched friends' names, which gave insight into who knows who in far-right circles.

----

Obviously there's a debate to be had about respect for privacy, but my sympathies for the violent mob that hunted down random Middle Eastern-looking people to assault/kill and vandalized many Middle Eastern and Jewish businesses is nowhere to be found.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Iz5k.gif

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
This is just beautiful.
I'm happy to be a hypocrite and applaud this doxxing

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wanted to create this topic before but it was a bit hard to explain. The whole thing is genius.

Little side info: this anti-Nazi collective opened a storefront for this and the city (with landlord and police) shut it down within HOURS. Which was a great demonstration as to where priorities are at in the free state of Saxony.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have my fingers crossed that something similar is being done here in the US.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I wanted to create this topic before but it was a bit hard to explain. The whole thing is genius.

Little side info: this anti-Nazi collective opened a storefront for this and the city (with landlord and police) shut it down within HOURS. Which was a great demonstration as to where priorities are at in the free state of Saxony.
They don't call them Pegizei for nothing

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
this is amazing. more of this. using these peoples trust of the internet against them.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda torn on the issue... on the one hand, fuck that Nazi scum, on the other, this probably violates a dozen EU privacy laws.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE

Where they have been all the time.

Bugsbunnysawingofffloridasaxony.gif

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I get this, if people searched for their own/ friends/enemies name who isn't a nazi would it go on their database?

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
People should have a right to privacy.

Even if they are nazi scum.

Nazis believe in the extermination of myself, my family, and everyone like me. They have a right to nothing.
This sympathy for the rights of monsters is such a tired fucking game too many of yall play.