• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/get-..._campaign=vulture&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

Get Out does provide quite a few laughs, so the classification is not unfounded, but placing a movie in the Comedy or Musical bracket has previously been a way for movies to increase their chances for a nomination or even a win by skirting competitive drama categories.

Seems like a poor move, considering the impact the film had. Is this just a cheap way for the studio to get some awards?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It deserves awards so if this is the way to do it, so be it? I guess? What would its competition in Drama be?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lil Rel too strong. Can't stop the TSA.

I'm okay with that. Its funny enough that you can view it as a dark comedy.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Did people reset their memories before joining this forum? This has happened many times because of how hard the drama category is. The Martian netted Ridley Scott, Matt Damon and the movie itself Comedy Golden Globes years ago.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Get Out is a comedy. Not that it doesn't tackle serious issues, but comedies don't have to be silly.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it actually the frontrunner at this point in the actual Oscars? It's still the best movie I've seen this year.

Oct 25, 2017
They should find a way to get rid of the two separate categories while at the same time allowing in more variety of movies to be nominated so it doesn't become a de facto "drama" award like what usually happens at the Academy Awards.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's closer to the Shakespearean Definition I think. It definitely deserves some sort of award, it's a great film.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it actually the frontrunner at this point in the actual Oscars? It's still the best movie I've seen this year.
I can see a screenplay nod and an outside win. Anything more that that might be pie in the sky. Maybe a dark horse best picture nom.

Edit: I wrote this poorly. I can see the movie getting a best picture nomination, but it would be a dark horse to actually win. If nominated, it'd be in the back half at having a chance to win.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bandage

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Did people reset their memories before joining this forum? This has happened many times because of how hard the drama category is. The Martian netted Ridley Scott, Matt Damon and the movie itself Comedy Golden Globes years ago.
I think the main problem is movies that clearly aren't marketed or designed as comedies do this as a ploy for a few awards.
If anything, I means we should expand more genres.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That feels real fucked up to me, and really undersells the films themes

I mean, I know where the comedy comes from, but damn if the film didn't have more going for it than just that

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
It has it's funny moments but I wouldn't call it comedy and there aren't moments where it could be considered horror either
If only there was a genre for Suspense and Mystery

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with this is that the underlying message of the movie is beneath it's horror language, this misinterprets the core message and brings focus to aspects of the movie that have zero to do with its themes. The movie happens when it lets go of its comedic comforts and the horror behind this mildly uncomfortable situation becomes evident.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I can see a screenplay nod and an outside win. Anything more that that might be pie in the sky. Maybe a dark horse best picture nom.

Plenty of critics consider it a frontrunner for a best picture nomination.

The list of current front runners from Anne Thompson at IndieWire.

Frontrunners

"The Big Sick"
"Call Me By Your Name"
"Darkest Hour"
"Dunkirk"
"Get Out"
"Lady Bird"
"Mudbound"
"The Shape of Water"
"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"

Contenders:

"The Florida Project"
"Phantom Thread"
"The Post"

Long Shots

"Blade Runner 2049"
"Downsizing"
"First They Killed My Father"
"Wonder Woman"

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/oscars-2018-best-picture-predictions-1201788999/

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
White privilege is the by product of White supremacy.

I guess in the technical sense yeah, you can't have a privilege without having supremacy to wield it. But when I think "white supremacy" I'm usually thinking of the blatant type of neo-nazi advocating for a white ethnostate, not institutional racism. Am I wrong?

Oct 26, 2017
Horror will always get screwed at awards ceremonies. Critics simply don't see the importance in such works regardless of the societal messages they contain. A socially aware piece of horror such as Get Out will have an even harder time.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of critics consider it a frontrunner for a best picture nomination.

The list of current front runners from Anne Thompson at IndieWire.

Frontrunners

"The Big Sick"
"Call Me By Your Name"
"Darkest Hour"
"Dunkirk"
"Get Out"
"Lady Bird"
"Mudbound"
"The Shape of Water"
"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"

Contenders:

"The Florida Project"
"Phantom Thread"
"The Post"

Long Shots

"Blade Runner 2049"
"Downsizing"
"First They Killed My Father"
"Wonder Woman"

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/oscars-2018-best-picture-predictions-1201788999/

Get Out is a front runner to be nominated, but your article is from March. For instance, The Florida Project has picked up a lot of momentum since and it's definitely one of the favorites.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to see Call Me By Your Name and Lady Bird.

Also, I think this will probably work for Get Out. Shit, if Deadpool could get a Golden Globe nom, it can't be that hard.