• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Has anyone wondered why professors can get away with this? I recently got stomach flu and showed proof of why I Missed a class and I didn't get any credit. I'm getting punished for not exposing others to my sickness. It just seems kinda cruel in my opinion. What do you all think?

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me when I was in undergrad and I went all the way to student affairs and they still sided with the professor. I had the flu with doctors notes and stuff too. I ended up earning an A in the class but getting a B because of the absences. It's complete bullshit.

Oct 28, 2017
Because college has become a scam to deny basic human dignity in favor of further appeasing our capitalistic overlords.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's their classroom and their rules. I remember a ton of my professors in college had strict attendance rules. One took an entire grade down if you missed 3 classes.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never even have had to show any doctors notes to my professors about missing deadlines or classes, ill or not ill. I'm guessing you're from the US and it seems US Unis are super stupid.

It's their classroom and their rules. I remember a ton of my professors in college had strict attendance rules. One took an entire grade down if you missed 3 classes.

Worst I've ever had to do because of missing classes is write an additional essay.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I remember my College Algebra professor saying something like if you missed class because of sickness that it was God's way of telling you that you weren't meant to pass

Yeah...

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It's to prepare you for the workforce. In America, you'd go to work even if you're sick, most of the time.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly missing classes should never be reason for any kind of punishment.
If you're studying at uni you're not a child and you should be able to decide when you miss classes etc, within moderation. I get that if you miss all classes you shouldn't probably pass but if you're sick a few times (especially if the class is a long one) you shouldn't be punished.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly was deducted? Percentages don't necessarily mean much if you're early in the class. In other words if 95% of your grade is yet to be determined then a 13% deduction is fairly meaningless, but if half of the grade has already been determined then it's significant.

How many points out of the total class were deducted? Were they just attendance/participation for that single class?

Have you asked if you can have an alternate way to make up the missing points (discussing with a classmate and presenting research showing that you tried to address what was missed)?

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
A good professor will have a policy in their syllabus, and will excuse given proof.

Being on the other side of this, you'd be surprised how many students just blatantly skip and think they deserve credit. Being in class (and not on your phone) is an essential part of the learning experience. I once had a student complain that they missed an in-class assignment because they were at Coachella

OP
OP
OfficerRaichu15
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Well it's luckily an easy class. It took 1 point out of the 12 I can get(it's 1 credit hour). I just don't like this precedent of being punished for being to sick to come in.

Nov 14, 2017
I just find it crazy that I get punished for being sick. The syllabus mentions excuses but apparently my doctors note didn't count. I missed a lab one day and talked to my professor about it and showed proof. My grade went down 13% because of me missing it due to the stomach flu.
You lost 13% because of a single day absence? That's so stupid. Why aren't US students more militant about that kind of bullshit? It's your life and you're paying to attend, why would you to to all that expense to be treated like school kids?

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Their syllabus is the law of the class. They will tell you that you should of read it. If you did and this goes against their rules, bring it up to them.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
I just find it crazy that I get punished for being sick. The syllabus mentions excuses but apparently my doctors note didn't count. I missed a lab one day and talked to my professor about it and showed proof. My grade went down 13% because of me missing it due to the stomach flu.

If it was big hit grade-wise, and there's a policy in the syllabus, then you have grounds to appeal the decision w/ the professor in office hours, then if not, the dean

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Basically tons of students fake sick or don't show up all the time. If you can provide legit documentation I'm sure they'll make an exception if not go above the professors head.

jakncoke

Nov 5, 2017
It's to prepare you for the workforce. In America, you'd go to work even if you're sick, most of the time.

Yeah and its pretty insane to think about. Most jobs you are given little to no sick time. So if you stay home sick you risk losing your job but if you go to work and end up getting people sick you're ridiculed for spreading your sickness. At least thats how its been at the jobs ive worked at.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's luckily an easy class. It took 1 point out of the 12 I can get(it's 1 credit hour). I just don't like this precedent of being punished for being to sick to come in.
So the loss is 8.33%. That still feels fairly significant, but not as bad as the 13% mentioned at least. I would recommend asking if there is a way to make it up rather than approaching it as "why are you punishing me for xyz?" The former shows the professor that you're focused on learning and doing well, while the latter makes it seem that you want points for being in a class that you missed (albeit for legitimate reasons).

OP
OP
OfficerRaichu15
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
So the loss is 8.33%. That still feels fairly significant, but not as bad as the 13% mentioned at least. I would recommend asking if there is a way to make it up rather than approaching it as "why are you punishing me for xyz?" The former shows the professor that you're focused on learning and doing well, while the latter makes it seem that you want points for being in a class that you missed (albeit for legitimate reasons).
Well that's for the total course. Out of the points I got and can get it brought it down like 13%. It's an easy lab but it just bugs me.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Was the same in some mandatory engineering classes for me. But we could make it up with some extra tasks. A bit unfair if you can't.

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Because college has become a scam to deny basic human dignity in favor of further appeasing our capitalistic overlords.
l-o-fucking-l

You can't be serious. Enabling higher education to those who seek it is a scam that denies "basic human dignity"?

There's a reason the safest, happiest, and wealthiest nations also happen to be the best educated. Sure, there are people who choose bad university degrees and would have been better off going into the trades. But there are also doctors, surgeons, scientists, engineers, etc. who gained the basic knowledge required to practice through post-secondary education.

Why do I have to explain this? I must be getting trolled.

OP
OP
OfficerRaichu15
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
What did the syllabus say about doctor notes? If he allowed excused abstinence then he fucked up.However, I have known Professors to say no matter what if you missed exam or whatever you get a zero.

Alright looking back at my syllabus it said it can be made up if I go to another lab of the same week. Problem is my sickness came the morning of mine which is the last one of the week.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
This is nuts. Here no-one gives a shit if you turn up to class or not. I've known people who basically never showed up for an entire subject but watched recordings of the lectures and did the reading and went to the exam and passed.

If you're sick and miss the exam you can arrange for a re-sit.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
This is nuts. Here no-one gives a shit if you turn up to class or not. I've known people who basically never showed up for an entire subject but watched recordings of the lectures and did the reading and went to the exam and passed.

If you're sick and miss the exam you can arrange for a re-sit.

It was a lab class if I understood correctly, those are mandatory in many places.

Oct 28, 2017
If you're studying at uni you're not a child and you should be able to decide when you miss classes etc, within moderation. I get that if you miss all classes you shouldn't probably pass but if you're sick a few times (especially if the class is a long one) you shouldn't be punished.

Nah. Attendance policies should be a necessity. I know so many 18 year olds who tanked their grades or even failed thanks to missing class. An 18 year old is not mature enough to know better.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright looking back at my syllabus it said it can be made up if I go to another lab of the same week. Problem is my sickness came the morning of mine which is the last one of the week.
Did you have a discussion with the professor and ask if there is a way to make it up or did you just give the note hoping to get credit for work that wasn't done? Showing that you're interested in making up what you missed rather than simply seeking points that were legitimately not earned is your best bet, IMO.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica

Email professor about this and how the sickness fell right on that lab day. Ask him if you can do anything to help make up that point. Write small paper, take quiz, whatever. Let him know you really are invested in getting those points and hopfully he sees that and will work something out for you. Most are cool as long as you talk to them. I've raised letter grades just by coming to talk to professors when having trouble in or out of class.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It's kind of crazy US universities treat students like they're lazy kids trying to skip school by default. Where I'm from you do your own scheduling, keep track of your own progress and freely choose whether you want to attend classes or not (in general, there are of course things like lab and other specialty work which are at least semi-mandatory if you want to pass).

Yeah, it does mean that you can totally screw yourself over but it's a great way to teach people to take responsibility over their own actions. Fail to complete mandatory courses or don't get enough credits together and you won't graduate. Strict attendance control is basically nonexistent, although some courses will give you extra points to your overall grade for perfect attendance.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I often wonder if one off things like this end up costing someone entry into a graduate program or job of their choice.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of crazy US universities treat students like they're lazy kids trying to skip school by default. Where I'm from you do your own scheduling, keep track of your own progress and freely choose whether you want to attend classes or not (in general, there are of course things like lab and other specialty work which are at least semi-mandatory if you want to pass).

Yeah, it does mean that you can totally screw yourself over but it's a great way to teach people to take responsibility over their own actions. Fail to complete mandatory courses or don't get enough credits together and you won't graduate. Strict attendance control is basically nonexistent, although some courses will give you extra points to your overall grade for perfect attendance.

This is a lab, so it's not like he missed a lecture on history that can easily be made up on one's own.

OP
OP
OfficerRaichu15
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
To basically explain its a business lab about practicing financial accounting. It goes along with my financial accounting course I have to take(which I'm kicking ass in),

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I barely failed a class once because of this. The minimum to pass was a B- for the class but there was an attendance based component with 8 AM group meetings with the Graduate Teaching Assistant and other students which I missed twice due to illness and once because I was going through a rough time with my grandmother dying suddenly and my first major breakup so I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed.

They didn't care so I got knocked down a full grade from B- to C- and that was considered failing for moving on to the next level in that major. Very distinctly I recall getting a 79.8% too. Dude was Russian too and had lots of weird critiques on my grammar in the assignment which I thought were arbitrary.

Degenerate

Nov 17, 2018
I remember missing too many days in clown college and they took away my red honker. I had to walk around like a noseless asshole all day

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Can you take it to the administration and try to explain how you feel it is unreasonable? Or, talk to the professor and see if there is anything you can do to make it up?

Oct 28, 2017
l-o-fucking-l

You can't be serious. Enabling higher education to those who seek it is a scam that denies "basic human dignity"?

There's a reason the safest, happiest, and wealthiest nations also happen to be the best educated. Sure, there are people who choose bad university degrees and would have been better off going into the trades. But there are also doctors, surgeons, scientists, engineers, etc. who gained the basic knowledge required to practice through post-secondary education.

Why do I have to explain this? I must be getting trolled.

Furthering your education is noble. What troubles me are scenarios like the OP's where people are reprimanded for being sick. I've had it happen to me before also. College is an institution which is so costly that student debt is an infamous burden on a large percentage of our population, yet students are being treated like second-class citizens for things out of their control. This added stress, alongside the financial burden, actively discourages many from taking advantage of the theoretical opportunities which college can provide them.

Just like medical attention, the opportunity for education is something which can better our population, and isn't something which should be held behind a wall of any sort.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This is a lab, so it's not like he missed a lecture on history that can easily be made up on one's own.
It's still pretty unreasonable to expect a perfect attendance record, unless it's like a day seminar or something. Generally here you're okay to miss one or even two lab sessions depending on how many there are and professors will usually provide make up work if you can prove you had a valid reason to miss sessions. For something like being sick I really doubt they'd even care to see a note - a basic principle of trust applies here, which is a luxury that can be afforded to university students on the basis that they are unlikely to want to self-sabotage by deliberately missing important classes.