Hunter's Moon
Watcher in the Sky
Dominion
Twenties
Darkness at the Heart of My Love
Griftwood
Bite of Passage
Respite on the Spitalfields
The big news comes hot on the heels of the Swedish occult-rock stars' first song in two years, September's "Hunter's Moon." Featured in the horror movie Halloween Kills, the single will also appear among Impera's 12 tracks, which tackle "themes of isolation and demigod worship, as well as colonization of both space and mind." Ghost mastermind Tobias Forge previously described the upcoming LP as a concept album about the fall of empires.
Impera was produced by Klas Åhlund and mixed by Andy Wallace.

It's been a long time since their last album so really excited for both this and their upcoming EU tour.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nakenorm

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
And here's Hunters Moon since it'll be part of the album apparently

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Just like Hunter's Moon my first listen was "this is pretty good" and by the 5th listen I can't stop hitting replay. Can't wait for the album!

The video on the other hand I don't love, not one of my favorite Ghost videos.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Fucking SO psyched, but I am bummed that two of the twelve tracks are singles that we've heard now (though I do love them both). Ghost is a sensation and I'm lucky enough to see them in Seattle next week and also in Germany in April lol.

c1063d194e9810f085117df918a02f00.jpg

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Tobias Forge really literally made his dream come true 😊 dreamt as a kid he wanted to have a humongous band, tried for several years with diffrent projects, and is now in the span of ten years on top of the world 🤘

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
That was definitely a Ghost song, I feel more interested in where Forge is going with the uhh "lore" aspect of this video.

Uga

Oct 31, 2017
This is excellent. I need to remember to get a ticket for a gig somewhere around Europe.

Impera's 12 tracks, which tackle "themes of isolation and demigod worship, as well as colonization of both space and mind." Ghost mastermind Tobias Forge previously described the upcoming LP as a concept album about the fall of empires.
Warhammer 40K-themed album confirmed.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not huge on Hunters Moon, feels like an idea that was never used in the square hammer sessions. I'm sure I will still like the album, Prequelle was still pretty solid

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Hunter's Moon a lot, but this is kinda ehh to me. It's well written, just not my vibe. Maybe it'll grow on me, idk.

Minlack

Oct 29, 2017
I never liked their earlier stuff, but Meliora was really great. Then Square Hammer was a total jam. Prequelle felt like they had settled in to a style, so was a bit uninteresting. Perhaps because Tobias had assumed full control? But will keep listening to see if anything grabs my attention.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Finally !

Liking this track a lot , it's a nice slow build up before we get another track which might be more akin to 'Rats'

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
I really liked Hunter's Moon from the first listen. I'm not too sure about this one.
Still hyped for the album though, and really looking forward to seeing them again in April (really hoping covid in the UK doesn't mess that one up).

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Single didn't do much for me. Infestissumam was the last album that I really liked and Meliora had few bangers but overall it's been downhill after Infestissumam.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
I enjoyed the hell out of Hunter's Moon, so I've got high hopes for this album. Ghost is a hell of a lot of fun to listen to, so even if it doesn't turn out amazing I'm sure I'll still have a blast with it one way or another.

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I never seen them as pure metal band or being a band that you could call heavy but I still miss the riffs, "heaviness" and the gothic and doom atmosphere of their first two albums.. now they sound more like a hard rock version of ABBA, still good and catchy music but not really something that I'm looking for but I'm still curious to hear the whole album .. artwork is still great as it always been but so far the released singles don't really match the vibe of it and after Blue Öyster Cult had a pretty solid album released in 2020, I hope I am not going to be disappointed by a Ghost album

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I love this band. Just pop rock goodness. Couldn't care less about "heaviness" with them, there are a million other bands doing heavy. Their live shows are such a treat.

Deleted member 20856

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaand it's already stuck in my head. The new ghouls look like if they are straight out of Doctor Who, love it!

1jbPQmF.jpg

OP
OP
Nakenorm

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I never seen them as pure metal band or being a band that you could call heavy but I still miss the riffs, "heaviness" and the gothic and doom atmosphere of their first two albums.. now they sound more like a hard rock version of ABBA, still good and catchy music but not really something that I'm looking for but I'm still curious to hear the whole album .. artwork is still great as it always been but so far the released singles don't really match the vibe of it and after Blue Öyster Cult had a pretty solid album released in 2020, I hope I am not going to be disappointed by a Ghost album

We'll see, Forge had mentioned that the next album would be "heavier" but that was in 2019 and things might have changed since then.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
Single didn't do much for me. Infestissumam was the last album that I really liked and Meliora had few bangers but overall it's been downhill after Infestissumam.
I personally enjoyed Meliora more, but I thought Prequelle was a huge down turn from what I liked. Maybe it had to do with almost the entire band quitting. I'll definitely give this album a listen as soon as it's out though.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
While I still love Ghost and am really glad they got the success they've had, I'm also glad I got to see them during their first two albums and get really up close and personal.

The new songs and albums post Infest are good and I've got some bangers on play, it definitely feels like a different band at points.

Oct 25, 2017
It took a few listens but I'm into it now.

I love all their stuff, but Prequelle is my favorite. Hunter's Moon being on the album gives me hope that sound isn't going to completely disappear, I think it's a good mix of their styles.

Either way i've pre-ordered the vinyl and can't wait till March!

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Cassette? Who makes those anymore (I mean the blank cassettes)? Their last album was released on 8 track as well as casette.

"themes of isolation and demigod worship, as well as colonization of both space and mind."
Give it to me now!!!

Shame that Papa is kinda of a jerk in real life but I can still get hype by Ghost.

Cassette? Who makes those anymore (I mean the blank cassettes)? Their last album was released on 8 track as well as casette.
They came back hardcore a couple of years ago and the vinyl print problems really helped them, and trve Black Metal bands, those never stopped with the format lol

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this song is so good, way better than Hunter's Moon to me.
From the start I was like this is very Type 0, but then it changed, but it has a 90s groove that took me back to my room as a kid, taping Alice in Chains off the radio.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking SO psyched, but I am bummed that two of the twelve tracks are singles that we've heard now (though I do love them both). Ghost is a sensation and I'm lucky enough to see them in Seattle next week and also in Germany in April lol.

c1063d194e9810f085117df918a02f00.jpg
You can call him Mephistopheles in April in his home of origin - German Devil

Star Parodier

Oct 28, 2017
Madison, WI
Tobias Forge really literally made his dream come true 😊 dreamt as a kid he wanted to have a humongous band, tried for several years with diffrent projects, and is now in the span of ten years on top of the world 🤘
The crazy thing is that always envisioned himself as "just" playing guitar in the band and never wanted to be the singer. I absolutely couldn't imagine Ghost with another lead singer. Tobias has a very good voice and he's probably the greatest rock frontman in the world right now, just oozing charisma and showmanship.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly the only thing I can say about this new track is... it's fine

Like it feels that I have already heard it

Ronald_Raygun

Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Tobias has stage presence like no other. He's absolutely hilarious.

I regularly watch the footage from the Mexico City show where Cardinal Copia becomes Papa IV.

Can't wait to see them at the end of February. I bet they play a lot of the new album.

OP
OP
Nakenorm

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just got a confirmation of my blood red vinyl pre-order 😎

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Just googled some reviews and they seem all very positive. Seems like a step up from Prequelle at least. I loved Ghost before they went into a more "mainstream" (less hard and dark, more catchy and poppy) direction. Prequelle didn't do much for me though it still contained a few catchy tunes. It's going to be interesting to hear this new album, which is apparently a bit more stadium rock alike (think Bon Jovi, AC/DC) according to the few reviews i've read. I wasn't too impressed with the singles so far. Since the group got mainstream appeal with Prequelle (hearing it a lot on my radio since that got released), i guess we won't be seeing the old Ghost back anytime soon.

OP
OP
Nakenorm

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Had one listen to it so far and I'm really liking it! Lots of catchy songs. It's got a big 80s sound that I'm very much into.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
Just googled some reviews and they seem all very positive. Seems like a step up from Prequelle at least. I loved Ghost before they went into a more "mainstream" (less hard and dark, more catchy and poppy) direction. Prequelle didn't do much for me though it still contained a few catchy tunes. It's going to be interesting to hear this new album, which is apparently a bit more stadium rock alike (think Bon Jovi, AC/DC) according to the few reviews i've read. I wasn't too impressed with the singles so far. Since the group got mainstream appeal with Prequelle (hearing it a lot on my radio since that got released), i guess we won't be seeing the old Ghost back anytime soon.
Old Ghost is probably never coming back considering the original band is gone, though it seems like Forge forced them out. That being said, Im also a fan of older Ghost, liked their first 2 albums, 3rd I was always meh on, did not get on with Prequelle at all. Twenties was good (shitty lyrics aside), didn't like the other two singles. Going to give this a couple spins and hope I end up enjoying it more than the past 7 years of their output.

I will say that the new Ghoul design is the best one yet though.

Edit:

After giving it a listen, I think it has better song writing than Prequelle or Meliora, probably some of the best realized instrumentals they've ever done. But I still don't like it. Feels like a weird pastiche of Bon Jovi, Van Halen and Scorpions but with none of the edge, attitude or personality that made those bands works iconic.

I feel like Ghost as a band has strayed too far from its original incarnation for me to enjoy anymore but it's held on to too many of the less serious elements from the bands earlier days for them to really ever be great at what they're trying to do now.

I know they're pretty popular now but I feel like their works won't stand the test of time like the bands they're heavily riffing on. Kinda starting to feel like a pop metal Dethklok with a budget.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Overall, I like it more than Prequelle as it definitely rocks a bit more. I'll always love their old sound, but I'm perfectly ok with more of this.

Standouts for me are:
Kaisarion
Hunter's Moon
Darkness at the Heart of my Love

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
I feel like Ghost as a band has strayed too far from its original incarnatio
Eh, Forges mission statement for Ghost was from the very start to "take over the world". Thats even what it said on the original myspace page with the first couple of songs when Fenriz started promoting them on his blog.
9swpein.png

Forge put out a very emotional episode on the swedish public radio show "Summer Talk" where he talks about his childhood and dreams and amingst that all of his projects, from being a for hire basist in Onkel Kånkel, to Repugnant and Subvision, is him trying to break out into the world stage. With Ghost, I see no problem with him finally achieving his childhood dream.

EDIT if anyone is intetested in it, heres the episode (albeit in swedish lol) https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/927252

Last edited:

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Fabulous album. Have been really looking forward to it, and it doesn't disappoint.

My sons (now 15, 12) really love the bad too. I took them to their very first gig in 2019. What a band and show for a first gig that was.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
As a fan since the first album, the current version of Ghost is better than old Ghost. Pop metal perfection. This new album is great. Can't wait to see them next month

If you're really missing the old sound and jonesing for some creepy Blue Oyster Cult worship with a bit more heft, I recommend Green Lung.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
Eh, Forges mission statement for Ghost was from the very start to "take over the world". Thats even what it said on the original myspace page with the first couple of songs when Fenriz started promoting them on his blog.
9swpein.png
Forge put out a very emotional episode on the swedish public radio show "Summer Talk" where he talks about his childhood and dreams and amingst that all of his projects, from being a for hire basist in Onkel Kånkel, to Repugnant and Subvision, is him trying to break out into the world stage. With Ghost, I see no problem with him finally achieving his childhood dream.

EDIT if anyone is intetested in it, heres the episode (albeit in swedish lol) https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/927252

None of this really has anything to do with anything I said. I pretty explicitly said that "Ghost has strayed too far from its original incarnation for me to enjoy them anymore " which is an entirely personal and subjective statement regarding the bands choices regarding their musical direction and trajectory.

I liked when Ghost was a weird pastiche of Doom Metal and Blue Oyster Cult with interesting, tongue in cheek occult aesthetics that didn't take themselves too seriously.

Ghost hasn't been that for at least 7 years now and its clear at this point they have no plans to return to that. That's fine, like I said I think Impera has some of their best realized instrumentals period. But it's not for me.

It feels like a silly immitation of a bygone era. Some people love that sort of thing and that's fine. But it's not my preference and I enjoyed the band more when they occupied a more unique space in the genre.

But when I listen to this and other albums like it, like Weezer's "Van Weezer" (of which this album reminded me of) or Greta Van Fleet, throwback rock, it just reminds me of what it is that its trying to imitate and im more inclined to just go listen to that instead because its pretty much always much more potent than its copycats.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't listen to Ghost but this was just posted by a bass player I follow on YT. Seeing this thread made me think to share it with you folk.

He has a couple more Ghost songs. I followed him because of his AFI covers.