AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This is literally no one's fault but Sony's.
False. This is both the first world brigade's fault and Sony's.
One side partially doesn't want to make a PSN account so their 'data' is safe and is riding alongside the 'smaller countries can't make PSN accounts without breaking PSN ToS' wave and Sony's, obviously not supporting the many countries.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't about PSN MAU though, you don't need to make a PSN account to play GoT neither HD2. I find it much more likely to be something in their legal dept. and the possibility that someone of those countries can create a stray PSN account and link it. It must be some legal limbo they don't want to bother.

Doesn't make it any less stupid, because they were selling the games just fine before. I find it hard to swallow the MAU theory when it's not even mandatory.

According to them, you do need a PSN account to play GoT's MP.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As shitty as it is, Sony probably crunched the numbers and likely doesn't expect a ton of players/revenue from that list.

If you go through the whole list of countries, it's stuff like Nepal, Madagascar, Tanzania etc. Nothing against the countries mind you, but I'm assuming that's how they make the justification instead of investing into PSN infrastructure in those regions (for now?).

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
EA, Ubisoft, Xbox, Epic, Activision, (Capcom has optional I think).. just about every big publisher has an account, but somehow only Helldivers with PSN became "an issue".
became an issue because of the backlash of implementing again the requirement of the psn account 3 month after launch, but with that backlash sony learned that there could be legal issues if they implement this requirement in non supported psn countries so they I think are just cutting the problem before day one release

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely dumb move. Just drop the PSN requirement at all, it's not needed.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
False. This is both the first world brigade's fault and Sony's.
One side partially doesn't want to make a PSN account so their 'data' is safe and is riding alongside the 'smaller countries can't make PSN accounts without breaking PSN ToS' wave and Sony's, obviously not supporting the many countries.
Ultimately its sonys product and legal terms.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This was my most anticipated Sony game but if they don't want to sell me game fine i have things to play.
Mate if its your choice then thats fine but you see a lot of people don't care about choices too much. They just want to play X game even if it means breaking ToS. Iam sure a lot of us don't put our real age (in years) whenever an age gate page requires us which is breaking some terms probably but we don't care.
Ultimately its sonys product and legal terms.
'Ultimately' doesn't matter without consequences for people in these countries.

Ultimately, what would've transpired if none had complained about this, is that all gamers would be playing Helldivers 2 and this game without anything happening to anyone. Sony doesn't enforce rules like this just like Valve doesn't. Sony actively know people have been doinng this for decades since PS3.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Why is PSN unavailable in so many countries? Is it because of an infrastructure situation? I can understand why it would challenging for cloud gaming, though a storefront seems questionable.

Nothing about the PSN stuff. Just about those countries and their local economy and their legislations. #82
They don't want money and currency to go in or out so easily so they blocked internet transactions from services outside their countries so not just PS Store is affected but everything else.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Very stupid that now the only way for people to play it in those countries is to pirate it

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
became an issue because of the backlash of implementing again the requirement of the psn account 3 month after launch, but with that backlash sony learned that there could be legal issues if they implement this requirement in non supported psn countries so they I think are just cutting the problem before day one release
Yeah that's definitely why. If people hadn't pointed it out for Helldivers they wouldn't have cared, they just went nuclear.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
monkey-paw.gif

But seriously, Sony needs to sort out their regional restrictions. There's really no reason for PSN to not be available in the whole world in 2024. Also, please allow region change for accounts as well, thanks.

And before people start blaming the whole HD2 thing, stop, this is all on Sony.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Mate if its your choice then thats fine but you see a lot of people don't care about choices too much. They just want to play X game even if it means breaking ToS. Iam sure a lot of us don't put our real age (in years) whenever an age gate page requirs us which is breaking some terms probably but we don't care.

A fellow centenarian!!!

Honestly how is this any different than the dozens of other games that require 3rd party accounts to play on steam.

Seems like either those third party's are available in those countries, or they're not as strict as PSN.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As shitty as it is, Sony probably crunched the numbers and likely doesn't expect a ton of players/revenue from that list.

If you go through the whole list of countries, it's stuff like Nepal, Madagascar, Tanzania etc. Nothing against the countries mind you, but I'm assuming that's how they make the justification instead of investing into PSN infrastructure in those regions (for now?).

Balkans is not small region when you count all delisted countries. Same goes for few others. And Sony is literally the only company that doesn't support those countries. Even Nintendo supports them.

Mate if its your choice then thats fine but you see a lot of people don't care about choices too much. They just want to play X game even if it means breaking ToS. Iam sure a lot of us don't put our real age (in years) whenever an age gate page requirs us which is breaking some terms probably but we don't care.

As i said before i have both US and UK PSN that i created for PS4 to be able to even play games. But if i need to sacrifice option to play Sony games to make them actually move their ass and do something then fine. I wanted to play GoT, GoW Ragnarok and TLoU Part 2 (never played them on Play Station) but in the end i waited 2-3 years to do it, i can wait more. And if they never come, fine as i said i have other things to play.

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this is to avoid legal issues, can't be selling games that aren't fully playable in some places?

Seems like the easy answer is to white list non-PSN countries (big assumption is its as easy to turn off as it was for Helldivers 2), I assume they would rather them still buy the game even if they can't sign-up for PSN.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
How many people in those countries do you think this affects. Because looking at the list. Def not a lot. No offense to those countries.

If the only way to play them is torrent sites so be it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Extremely dumb move. Just drop the PSN requirement at all, it's not needed.
It's clearly something they want to work on for the long run in order to offer more PSN features to players outside their console ecosystem, why would they? People made it clear it wasn't ok to offer these games in regions that didn't have PSN support, so Sony is simply going along with that and avoiding potential bigger issues, plus avoiding another backlash in the future as people now are aware of the PSN requirements. Is it on them that PSN is not supported in many regions? Absolutely, but I imagine they'll be working on a solution and relist their PSN-linkable games as they get to that. People had the option of using a workaround, but they made it clear that they didn't want that, so this move makes sense.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Couldn't they possibly sell a version without multiplayer in those countries

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I wonder why they don't release PSN everywhere when so many other companies do. Just can't be bothered?
Also don't understand this tbh. Another Japanese console manufacturer, Nintendo, manages it too, so why not Sony, which is even the bigger company of the two.
I expect GOWR next and all upcoming PS titles on PC. A lot of lost sales due to such stubborness. Steam should not allow them to do this. What is the next step? Preventing people without local PS Stores to create PSN accounts from other countries to play and buy games?
Doubt it. There is no reason for them to care in that instance, since their customers there don't do either. On PSN you first need to create an account (and potentially break their TOS if you live in an unsupported country) and after that can buy and access games, while on Steam you can (or could) first buy the game, but then not access the game, or certain parts of it.

Oct 29, 2017
So this wasn't an issue previously because Sony said that the game requires a PSN account on Steam, but it could still be purchased and played with fake address PSN accounts. (Please stop the TC bs, it was never an issue, like ever).

But because Helldivers players realized that their only realistic complaint is "what about unsupported countries" they basically forced Sony to delist from these countries on Steam. Making it impossible to play the games.

But Sony is at fault for requiring their own online account on a game that they publish and develop? I mean it's not like PSN is the best thing ever but this seems like one of the biggest own goals I've ever seen.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
As i said before i have both US and UK PSN that i created for PS4 to be able to even play games. But if i need to sacrifice option to play Sony games to make them actually move their ass and do something then fine. I wanted to play GoT, GoW Ragnarok and TLoU Part 2 (never played them on Play Station) but in the end i waited 2-3 years to do it, i can wait more. And if they never come, fine as i said i have other things to play.
Again, this is your opinion and choice. How you feel about this doesn't matter. You've helped (even a tiny percent) and Sony make it impossible for others in these smaller countries to play it legally.

Thats the ultimate end result.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like for this specific game, they could have built Legends as DLC for the game, and then applied restrictions on that?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
The thing SIE messed up big time is starting selling those PSN games in regions that don't have PSN.
And that is a huge mess.

I'm pretty sure other publishers that release games with their 3rd party account make sure that isn't the case.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why is PSN unavailable in so many countries? Is it because of an infrastructure situation? I can understand why it would be challenging for cloud gaming, though a storefront seems questionable.

Honestly, infrastructure as in buying and maintaining some servers and other computer equipment to digitally deliver product is probably one of the easiest parts of the equation. Nobody would leave out a market if that was all it took. Realistically I'd bet it's often the numerous legal hurdles that come with moving your business in to a new region, and the costs there, over most other stuff.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Or they could just change their ToS to allow people from regions where PSN isn't officially provided to get into another region.