• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Several interviews are coming out right now, talking about several aspects of the expansion.
(getting only a couple quotes from each interview)
Push Square:
Push Square: Straight into it, how big is the Iki Island expansion?

Nate Fox, Creative Director:
If you're familiar with Ghost of Tsushima, Iki Island is the size of, really, the first act of the main game, Izuhara. It's a big, dense story with a lot of landscape and secrets to discover.

Can we expect Iki Island to have the same kind of open world map density as Izuhara from the main game?

NF:
So, it's very similar to Ghost of Tsushima, where we strove to get this just-right feeling of, you know, exploration and discovery, of moments of quiet and moments of violent tension from swordplay. So when we got that dialled in for Ghost of Tsushima, we used that same overall feeling of peaks and valleys for Iki Island.

Press Start Australia:

CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT WHAT SORT OF NEW ABILITIES AND GEAR JIN MIGHT ACQUIRE TO COMBAT THESE NEW ENEMIES?
JC: Without giving it all away, what I will say is that there are some new skills and some new abilities. There's some things that we lean into a little bit more that we're pretty excited about. We quite like our Mythic Tales that we had in Tsushima, so leaning into something like that, this game is going to be very rewarding and fun. Also we lean into nature as sort of a theme. We had foxes in the base game, but there are more types of animals, I think about three more in total in this one for you to experience.

And now we have actual horse armour, as well as a Horse Charge ability that kind of scatters guys out of the way and you can use it every now and then and it's quite cool. You can see it in the trailer – it's pretty exciting, it gives a whole new use to riding your horse through an area. I'm using it as an actual weapon, which is very exciting. So yeah, we have a number of things that we're not talking about quite yet, but that should be really exciting to our players when they jump in.

Famitsu(Japanese):
Quote with Google Translate
―How did you decide to develop the " Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut " announced this time ?
I was wondering if it would be more entertaining for the players even after the development of Jason's main story was completed. One of them was a major update that implemented the multiplayer mode "Legends", but I thought there might be more stories to tell. In particular, I thought that if I could draw a story that would make it easier to understand who Hitoshi Sakai was, it would be more enjoyable for the players. That is the story of Iki, which will be added to "Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut" this time.

IGN:
Introducing a New Villain, and a New Island
IGN's Ghost of Tsushima review hailed Khotun Khan as a memorable, impactful villain, a leader of the Mongol army seeking to take Jin's home for his own. It's a tall order to live up to, and the Iki Island expansion will be introducing a new villain in the form of the mysterious Eagle, who Downs hopes will surprise players.

"One of our big considerations was: how do we create a villain who is a compelling Mongol leader, who reflects actual Mongol history, but also is an absolute contrast to Khotun Khan," Downs said. "To give us something different, and new, and surprising. And then with [The Eagle] in particular, there are aspects of her as both a khatun, which is essentially a woman khan, but also as a shaman...how does that change her goals, her style of leadership, what she's trying to accomplish? And how does that affect Jin in ways that maybe he hasn't been challenged before on Tsushima?"

With her role as a shaman, it also perhaps opens up Jin's story to a little more of a fantastical bent than seen in the main campaign. Of course, the Legends multiplayer mode goes into full supernatural territory, but Downs said the team's goal was to build off what was introduced in the single-player campaign.

"We do want to respect the world that we've created in Ghost of Tsushima, which is grounded historically," he said. "We wanted to keep that, although there are touches of supernatural elements like the Guiding Wind, for instance. It's not literally supernatural in the way that Legends is, but...we took that as a springboard. Maybe not supernatural, per se, but there's that fine line between what's supernatural and what's psychological."

Washington Post:
Fox also said more combat skills will be included to enhance Jin's existing abilities and skill trees. He didn't specify what Jin could do, but we can expect them to further enhance his core skills of stealth, swordplay and archery. All this, he promises, is further enhanced by the work they've done for the DualSense controller haptic feedback.

"We devoted our energy to make it feel like you're holding a katana, so when you swing your sword and it bounces off an enemy's shield, you feel it in your hand," Fox said. "That's something new to us as game makers, who are used to working in audio and visual, but not this kinetic experience of entertainment."

Aug 23, 2018
Any word on what the graphic enhancements are vs current BC mode for the base game? I got a copy on amazon during prime day and a week later this was announced- so I've held off on playing not knowing how much better the PS5 version will be.

Was kind of hoping that they'd give the graphic upgrades for free and charge just for the story content DLC, but that doesn't appear to be the case

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Any word on what the graphic enhancements are vs current BC mode for the base game? I got a copy on amazon during prime day and a week later this was announced- so I've held off on playing not knowing how much better the PS5 version will be.

Was kind of hoping that they'd give the graphic upgrades for free and charge just for the story content DLC, but that doesn't appear to be the case

I think it's just haptics and Japanese lip sync. Seems like the upgrade isn't worth it unless you're going to engage with the extra content.

Aug 23, 2018
I think it's just haptics and Japanese lip sync. Seems like the upgrade isn't worth it unless you're going to engage with the extra content.

Fair enough. And the current PS4 version has the 60 FPS boost on Ps5 anyway right?

If that's the case I'll probably just start with the version I have and if I'm not burnt out by the end I'll grab the upgrade.

Oct 25, 2017
I like that it's pretty self contained. I'm planning on just taking my save when I got the platinum and going to the island.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Size of the first part of the game? That's massive, that alone took me tons of hours of explore.

Engin

Oct 25, 2017
This game just wasn't worthy of my time. A ps5 version won't do wonders… but time will tell

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know

WILL JIN BE ABLE TO TRAVEL FREELY BETWEEN IKI ISLAND AND THE REST OF THE MAP ONCE YOU'VE GAINED ACCESS TO IT? OR IS IT MORE OF A CLOSED-OFF AREA THAT YOU NEED TO COMMIT TO?

PD: There's a certain point in which you can travel back and forth. Early on, you have to do some things – Iki is a tough place for a samurai – but once you're able to, you can go back and forth freely. And that's again by design, we want this to be intertwined with the main game and not feel like a closed-off little bubble universe. It's part of the same world.
press-start.com.au

We Spoke To Sucker Punch About Creating New Player Experiences For Ghost Of Tsushima Director's Cut

We Spoke To Sucker Punch About Creating New Player Experiences For Ghost Of Tsushima Director's Cut

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
That size sounds perfect for me! First part was pretty meaty size/content wise. Looking forward to new gameplay additions too

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I'll have to refresh my memory of how to play this game but I'm excited. The gameplay loop of this game was satisfying enough to me that I could play it for another 30 hours easily

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Difficulty will scale
"Whether you go there right at the beginning of act two, or you go there at the end of the game, a challenge will be presented because we're scaling the difficulty of it," Connell said. "If you've already gone all the way to the end of the game, it's not like it's going to be a breeze. It's still going to have a challenge for you, which is important considering the way that we've implemented this."
www.ign.com

Ghost of Tsushima Devs on Adding PS5 Functionality, Introducing a New Villain in Director's Cut - IGN

Ghost of Tsushima's developers tease what's ahead in the Director's Cut, including new gameplay elements, Iki Island's story, PS5 additions, and more.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
With a new Mongol force, there will be new enemies that Fox says "will challenge you to play in a more diverse way". Again, he wouldn't be drawn on more specifics but did say that there will be "a bunch of new skills and armor" that will let players get deeper into whatever playstyle they prefer. So whether you're into stealth, direct combat, or ranged fighting Fox promises "more options for self-expression inside of that combat experience". Perhaps more interestingly, "all the upgrades and all the abilities translate back to Ghost of Tsushima", he says. "This is one package, it's one experience, " he adds. "The Iki Island story is absolutely integrated and meaningful to what happens in Tsushima island as well".
www.gamesradar.com

The Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island expansion shows "a different viewpoint on the Mongol expansion"

Sucker Punch creative director Nate Fox and environments lead Joanna Wang talk about what to expect

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So I think this is so far all new stuff we know about right now

-New enemies that challenge you to play in a more diverse way
-A bunch of new skills and armor" that will let players get deeper into whatever playstyle they prefer.
-New landscapes and other vegetation that you haven't seen in Tsushima before
- haptic feedback and adaptive triggers for swordplay and the bow
-New Mythic tales and stories
- Japanese lip syncing
-Load times will be as fast as they can make them
-Difficulty will scale for Iki Island so no matter when you play it will be a challenge.
-Your horse can get armor now and has a new charge move
-3D audio will be used for things like the guiding wind and rain
-You will be able to travel freely between Iki Island and the rest of the map from the original game after a certain point.
-Iki Island will have new mini games
-Iki Island will have an animal sanctuary where you can pet different types of animals as much as you like
-Iki Island will have new trophies

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want the ninja outfit like loudninja'a avatar. Hopefully it will be available on the expansion

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would just explain in no uncertain terms how the PS4 save transfer works. I need to know if I have to re-acquire a PS4 disc.

RK9

Apr 5, 2021
Oh my days did they really call this a 'Director's Cut'? How unbelievably poncy.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Which of the links talk about PS5 technical changes? After the excellent PS5 BC patch for the PS4 version they really should be selling us HARD on why exactly GoT is the first Sony published crossgen games that gets a higher price tag and upgrade cost. Miles Morales and Sackboy cost the same on both platforms.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Which of the links talk about PS5 technical changes? After the excellent PS5 BC patch for the PS4 version they really should be selling us HARD on why exactly GoT is the first Sony published crossgen games that gets a higher price tag and upgrade cost. Miles Morales and Sackboy cost the same on both platforms.
I think they're not talking about it because there isn't really any improvements besides resolution.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Does the director's cut of the PS5 version still renders @1800p natively with checkerboarding to 4k? Or can we expect native 4k support now? Otherwise I don't see myself buying the ps5 version since I prefer the english VO and the loading times are ridiculous fast for an open world.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
No texture upgrade is disappointing, some area of the original has super low res texture even for ps4 standard

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Do we know when exactly the expansion is supposed to take place? I'm mid Act 2 and I'll hold off on finishing the game before the DX edition if it takes place during the campaign.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Does the director's cut of the PS5 version still renders @1800p natively with checkerboarding to 4k? Or can we expect native 4k support now? Otherwise I don't see myself buying the ps5 version since I prefer the english VO and the loading times are ridiculous fast for an open world.
It didn't render natively at 1800p on PS4 Pro. It was checkerboarded. Then upscaled to 4k. The PS5 one is either dynamic 4k checkerboard or dynamic native 4k. We don't know which yet. I would guess dynamic native.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know when exactly the expansion is supposed to take place? I'm mid Act 2 and I'll hold off on finishing the game before the DX edition if it takes place during the campaign.
You can go to iki Island on act 2, the difficulty will scale whenever you go even at the end of the game or new game plus.

RK9

Apr 5, 2021
It's just a playful nod to the games inspiration of Japanese cinema, what's got you so riled up?

I'd believe that if it wasn't also being used with other Sony titles. I dunno I just find it cringey and just reinforces the whole 'blockbuster' thing Sony emphasizes with their first party games.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If they couldn't render those cutscenes in real-time and didn't have the space for multiple versions of the pre-rendered cutscenes, it makes sense
We are living in a world where games can offer additional content via download. In fact some games already offer language packs, so it would be easy for GoT DC to have a free japanese lip synch DLC with pre rendered cutscenes.

Besides the main game didn't have many pre rendered cutscenes anyways. We don't know if that's the case for the expansion, though. Regardless in my opinion this is just a excuse.
Won't happen lol. They used to pre-render the scenes on PS4, and now they are real time on PS5 as part of all the enhancements lol.
No, how can you see your armor of choice if everything was pre rendered cutscenes on PS4? Those pre rendered scenes did exist, but there weren't many and most was real time. Besides they could easily capture the PS5 japanese lip sync and offer it as free pre rendered cutscenes to download on PS4.

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The $10 extra for those PS5 features still feels like a joke. Especially compared to Death Stranding

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
We are living in a world where games can offer additional content via download. In fact some games already offer language packs, so it would be easy for GoT DC to have a free japanese lip synch DLC with pre rendered cutscenes.

Besides the main game didn't have many pre rendered cutscenes anyways. We don't know if that's the case for the expansion, though. Regardless in my opinion this is just a excuse.

No, how can you see your armor of choice if everything was pre rendered cutscenes on PS4? Those pre rendered scenes did exist, but there weren't many and most was real time. Besides they could easily capture the PS5 japanese lip sync and offer it as free pre rendered cutscenes to download on PS4.

We're capable of putting [Japanese lip sync] in because the PS5 SSD let us take some of our cutscenes that, on the original version of the game we had to pre-render, and now, we can do them live. And so the hardware makes a difference," Fox told us.

We then asked how it actually works, and Fox elaborated: "It's real-time rendering. On the PS4 version we would have to pre-render films that we would use to play while we were loading in new chunks of the background. And these films are very, very large. In fact, they're so large that we just barely got them on disc. But with PS5, because we can do them live rendered, we now can accommodate the extra lip sync."

Thats straight from their mouths. So unless you are accusing them of lying thats what exactly what it is.